AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-03-29, 00:47   Link #661
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
wtf

I don't get how your Windows 7 eats so many GBs. It shouldn't be that large.
Old 2010-03-29, 02:32   Link #662
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
wtf

I don't get how your Windows 7 eats so many GBs. It shouldn't be that large.
To be fair, the Windows directory only takes up 10 GB, while the rest is most likely is filled with some other drivers and programe files.

But it's most interesting that 5 GB of the Windows folder is of those from the winsxs subfolder....

And after doing a bit of research, the general consensus on the winsxs subfolder is that it can be deleted, but unadvisable to do so. So what's your take on it ?
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 04:26   Link #663
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
So the main question I have at hand is to know whether 100 GB is enough to sustian 7 in the long run especially with Service Pack 1 coming up, or should I invest in another HDD for just the OS alone.
I think the service pack should just add another 200-300MB worth of space. So it's gonna be a non-factor, but 100GB worth of HDD space is a little low right now with the kind of compression most file-types nowadays use
Old 2010-03-29, 04:41   Link #664
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
I think the service pack should just add another 200-300MB worth of space. So it's gonna be a non-factor, but 100GB worth of HDD space is a little low right now with the kind of compression most file-types nowadays use
Thanks for the input. Now, how about if I use the 100GB partition just purely for System Files alone ? With a little house keeping like setting the Page Files low, reducing the need to backup, storing all non system esstenials in the larger partitions etc....

Think how long that will last me ?
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 05:23   Link #665
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

I have been using a 30GB partition for Win7 and another 30GB for programmes. Each of the partition has around 10GB of free space. The remaining of the drive has a few partitions for data and linux stuff.

So far this setup works fine for me. But then I am not a gamer and only use my PC to watch anime and do office work.
Old 2010-03-29, 07:10   Link #666
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I think when the service pack comes out, there is going to be a Service Pack cleaning tool like in Vista where you can remove the old system files that are older than the service pack provides. From what I heard, 7 SP1 is only going to be security and bug fixes and not that many feature additions.
Old 2010-03-29, 07:48   Link #667
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Alright, so I've built myself a new rig yesterday and had Win 7 installed

My main issue with it is that somehow my copy of it is taking up a whopping 25 GB on the 100 GB system partition I've assigned to it. Quite astonishing for me really, after upgrading from XP here.

So the main question I have at hand is to know whether 100 GB is enough to sustian 7 in the long run especially with Service Pack 1 coming up, or should I invest in another HDD for just the OS alone.
One of the benefits of having your data on a separate drive, is that as long as that drive doesn't have any services running from it, it should last longer due to it being able to sleep longer and not need to keep firing up as much. Of course you can't account for just being plain unlucky.

Also if u have enough space on both drives u can back each drive to each other, makes recovery a lot easier as long as it isn't the controller that went and decided to chew up data on both drives!
Old 2010-03-29, 09:18   Link #668
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
And after doing a bit of research, the general consensus on the winsxs subfolder is that it can be deleted, but unadvisable to do so. So what's your take on it ?
@Makube: from what I heard through the grapevine, winsxs stores a truckload of dll's, assemblies and library components (many of which appear to be duplicates but are actually of different versions) in order to maximize compatibility with Windows programs - some of which require specific files of equally specific versions.

Though much of winsxs is basically backup, deletion of certain folders could lead to incompatibility issues. Compression is reportedly out of question, too, as they are prone to interfere with updates.

I can see why people would want to get rid of winsxs but in doing so you might break something and there is no rule of thumb that applies to all winsxs denizens and can say, without a heartbeat of a doubt, what is safe to trashcan and what is not. I'd say play on the safe side and leave the folder alone - just uninstall whatever software you don't need and relocate unused/redundant stuff to either a backup drive or a removable storage device.

More on Vista/W7 winsxs here.