AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-05-05, 19:44   Link #141
pervypig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
Except you can't do that within democratic system, without breaking it's implied or official rules. For one anyone to blame for the fiasco of the battle, meaning people in command, is probably dead. And even were they alive, it's not up to some lower level officer, even if he is the hero to pass judgement on his superiors. The way system works is that the HQ will do an inquiry, Yang will give his statement about what happened, there will be deliberations and eventual punishment, if there is any, will be down to the HQ.

The same goes for other things. There are services and sections of government that should be in charge of those actions. Also, I'm still not sure how is Yang supposed to "make them cry bloody tears" to a dozen lynchers, most of which seem to have military training. I guess a "go-geter" could "go-get" himself clubbed and his house torched. And no, depending on how their law is structured, Yang might not even be allowed to just attack them for "trespassing".

The key word here is PEOPLE. Not individuals. The entire society. There are political opponents Mr. T has, and to stop him it just takes enough people voting against him.
Overall, not much that I disagree with, except your assumption that there is nothing within the democratic system that a go-getter can do. Majority of the civil rights that we can see today had been hard fought over by leaders within the democratic systems of the past - including woman's sufferage and equal rights for other races. Lobbying is long and hard, but they succeeded despite the odds, (not to mention sometimes illegal)

You have highlighted mostly the technicalities of difficulties imposed by the bueracratic system, but fact is there ARE actual things that Yang could actually have done, but we are not shown. Since I haven't read the book, I can't really cast rock on him right now, but I maintain my stance that Reinhard would probably have done so much more aggressively in his place.
pervypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-06, 13:19   Link #142
4th Dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by pervypig View Post
Overall, not much that I disagree with, except your assumption that there is nothing within the democratic system that a go-getter can do. Majority of the civil rights that we can see today had been hard fought over by leaders within the democratic systems of the past - including woman's sufferage and equal rights for other races. Lobbying is long and hard, but they succeeded despite the odds, (not to mention sometimes illegal)

You have highlighted mostly the technicalities of difficulties imposed by the bueracratic system, but fact is there ARE actual things that Yang could actually have done, but we are not shown. Since I haven't read the book, I can't really cast rock on him right now, but I maintain my stance that Reinhard would probably have done so much more aggressively in his place.
Yes, but these are all things politicians are supposed to do. Yang is not one, and shouldn't be one as long as he is on active duty. Politics and military aren't supposed to mix. Their relationship should be strictly People > Politicians > Military.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-06, 14:18   Link #143
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

How are the ships and combat compared to the original?
Old 2018-05-08, 07:01   Link #144
4th Dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
How are the ships and combat compared to the original?
Based on the sample of the combat in first two episodes compared to the new one, the combat is kinda flashier and slicker. Also ship designs are kinda even more stylised. While in the original there was some streamlining in Imperial designs and BOXINES in Allied ones, both looked quite machiney and rugged. Now nearly all Imperial ships look as aerodynamic as Reinhard's ship if not more (his new one too is kinda fancy). Allied ships are METAL BWAKESES.

So so far so good. The bad is that some of the large scale overview of what is going on is lost because the camera tends to be closer on the ships. And with the new fancier animations the combat bits kinda eat into other things.

Also new maps kinda tend to be overly fancy and maybe even less clear. Tactics are roughly the same as in the original but there are some changes. In battle of Astarte most notably Alliance advances in a line abreast in new version while in the old they are falling on Reinhard from all sides.

For me as someone new it's fine, although I am annoyed sometimes by the overly fancy displays.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-08, 13:16   Link #145
pervypig

Lol? Yang should really change class from historian to comedian! How is it possible tat a girl who gave him coffee 8yrs ago have a better memory than him?!? What happened to all those dates and locations and names he need to memorise for history class?
pervypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-08, 14:13   Link #146
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Wow, Schönkopf's been bishified. But then, with a name like his... (Pretty Head in German.)

Quote:
Lol? Yang should really change class from historian to comedian! How is it possible tat a girl who gave him coffee 8yrs ago have a better memory than him?!? What happened to all those dates and locations and names he need to memorise for history class?
She was just a girl among thousands whose life he saved. He was the great hero who saved her life. Of course she remembers it better than he does. It's not quite a "But for me, it was Tuesday" situation, but he certainly had other concerns at the time.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-08, 16:29   Link #147
kuromitsu

As I expected, Miki Shinichirou is just absolutely not working as Schönkopf. I don't think I'll ever be able to wrap my head around this casting. Nor Suwabe as Oberstein... (And whoever OK'd Suwabe's acting as Oberstein. There could have been so many ways for Suwabe to be at least serviceable in the role, but this... is still painful.)
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-08, 17:05   Link #148
Dextro
He Without a Title

On the other hand Endou Aya as Frederica just makes me like the character even more. She was already one of my favourite characters in the novel and with that voice and design...
Old 2018-05-08, 17:27   Link #149
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I don't know which was more faithful to the novels, but I liked the way the Rosenritters were introduced in the OVAs better. They came across as real dicks here. I certainly wasn't expecting Frederica to easily own one of them either. I don't recall ever seeing her fight, for that matter, so that was really surprising.
Old 2018-05-08, 19:14   Link #150
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I don't care about what other say, but OBERSTEIN! <3

And yeah, Yang must be very happy to have Sheryl Nome as his adjutant. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-09, 11:44   Link #151
Tenzen12

Another proof Aliance is much better place to live. Empire hero get dissapeared blood related sister. Aliance hero can choose between well mantained widow and Sheryl Nome. Life is not fair. Thank goodness

Quote:
Being historian is hardly guarantee of having eidetic memory. Even if Yang has wast knowledge drilled into his head, it's entirely possible any random gall out there can remember all these things with much less effort and with much less need refresh these memories in long run. That's difference between geniuses and peasants.
Old 2018-05-09, 15:51   Link #152
kuromitsu

Finally got around watching the latest episode (I was interrupted before) and echoing others, what the hell was that Rosenritter introduction? Who thought it was necessary? Frederica doesn't need this sort of propping up, this is not her role. And it was equally showing the Rosenritter in a terrible light. They might be a rowdy bunch but they're not complete idiot meathead bros. Hell, if the writers want badass girls and rowdy fighters why not add some female Rosenritters, and be done with it, instead of doing this manufactured and pointless drama... taking up time that could have been better spent on other things.

Also, I continue to wonder where the translator is getting the name localizations for a bunch of these characters. Cazerne, Sithole, Bewcock... yes, these exist and have been already deemed wrong by canon itself. (It's Caselnes, Sitolet, Bucock, etc.) I mean OK, I don't expect the translator to buy the Encyclopedia, but there's the whole internet, or the English language release of the novel (which has numerous problems but it follows the official name localizations), the Japanese Wikipedia, and oh, the official website of this very anime...

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2018-05-09 at 16:04.
Old 2018-05-09, 16:36   Link #153
RDNexus

As far as I came to know (namely, from a ANN article), simulcast translators tend to have very little time in hands to translate one episode of a series.
They seem to be handed a script in japanese, and most surely it doesn't offer any official names for the characters.
I know, it sucks, but given said circunstances I don't let such cringe get to me. I get nothing from being like that...

Regarding the Rosenritter moment, it seemed to me Schonkopf stated his men were testing Yang & Frederica's mettle or something, and taking it a bit too far.
I actually liked the moment and didn't make me dislike them, but it may simply be due to already knowing about them and their future endeavors.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-09, 17:20   Link #154
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

"Cazerne" looks and sounds like a French name. "Caselnes" I'm not so sure about.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-09, 21:53   Link #155
Jerseykid

I knew I heard Urahara!
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-10, 00:01   Link #156
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
So I wonder who they will get to replace Umehara? And how many episodes he may have already recorded. It's always unfortunate when an actor gets severally sick and has to take time off.
Old 2018-05-10, 03:11   Link #157
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
So I wonder who they will get to replace Umehara? And how many episodes he may have already recorded. It's always unfortunate when an actor gets severally sick and has to take time off.
It's such a bummer, his Kircheis was one of the few things I was genuinely looking forward to, I liked where his acting was going. I think if he had finished recording the staff would have announced it, but I think it's very likely that he's going to be replaced. Dammit. Poor guy, I hope he gets better soon. This is a pretty serious illness, and it's so unfair that he has to go on an indefinite hiatus right now when he's so busy and has so many main/lead roles. (He's in so many things I like, too!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
"Cazerne" looks and sounds like a French name. "Caselnes" I'm not so sure about.
And yet Caselnes is officially his name. Same with Sitolet, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
As far as I came to know (namely, from a ANN article), simulcast translators tend to have very little time in hands to translate one episode of a series.
They seem to be handed a script in japanese, and most surely it doesn't offer any official names for the characters.
I know, it sucks, but given said circunstances I don't let such cringe get to me. I get nothing from being like that...
Just because you don't have much time to translate doesn't mean you don't have time to prepare when you accept a job. I wouldn't be so annoyed if the correct localizations weren't available on the official website, in the officially released English translation of the novel, on Wikipedia, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
Regarding the Rosenritter moment, it seemed to me Schonkopf stated his men were testing Yang & Frederica's mettle or something, and taking it a bit too far.
That would work in a different type of story, but not here. It was immensely out of character for Frederica to use physical violence; it was immensely out of character for Schönkopf to allow something like this to happen in the first place. (Also it was ridiculous for the writing to think that Frederica needed this moment. She doesn't. She's not a physical fighter.) The Rosenritter may be a rowdy bunch but they're still a professional military group.
Old 2018-05-10, 04:20   Link #158
Tenzen12

You can't act out of character when it's not established yet. And this episode did exactly that established characters of Frederica and Schönkopf. Unless anime will try go against their own characterisation in future there is no problem neither is taking some liberties from over thirty years old anime and even older novels.
Old 2018-05-10, 04:40   Link #159
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
You can't act out of character when it's not established yet. And this episode did exactly that established characters of Frederica and Schönkopf. Unless anime will try go against their own characterisation in future there is no problem neither is taking some liberties from over thirty years old anime and even older novels.
How is the age of the novel relevant here? If they're trying to do a faithful adaptation (that by all accounts they are trying to do) then it is being out of charcter compared to how the characters are supposed to be. And unless they'll keep writing in original scenes where the characters act like how they did here, I don't see how any of this is going to be relevant and in character for them later.
Old 2018-05-10, 04:47   Link #160
RDNexus

Dear goodness, how much of a fanboy can you be? Why can't you just wait a bit to see how things will fare?
Who tells you these small liberties aren't being taken into consideration by the author himself? Just enjoy the ride, like I'm doing
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote