AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > GATE

Notices

View Poll Results: GATE - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 2 10.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 5 25.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 45.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 10.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 5.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 5.00%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-02-01, 04:35   Link #61
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
Proposing to be diplomatic, why?
No, I thought it is just harsh that ending the offenders life when being attacked is the ultimate solution.
Err... that is ONE guy. When they were being invaded by thousands. He is in no position to take the guy prisoner when he is needed elsewhere. Are you proposing that he drag the one guy everywhere as he plans the rescue of civilians?

It isn't harsh at all. Why is it harsh? The dragon rider himself certainly didn't think so, it is entirely normal. This is also why Duran didn't hold a grudge for his men being killed, he was the one attacking the JSDF and can't honestly complain that he gets maimed in the process.

What are you proposing then? What's the "non-harsh" way of fighting a military invasion?

I am rather perplexed as the anime has already heavily censored the gore. And yet here you are proposing that there must be a way to not kill anyone in the middle of an invasion.
Old 2016-02-01, 04:50   Link #62
rladls2121

I know, it is really my selfish wishful thinking.

Watching the episodes of Yugioh arc v, it is absolutely impossible to make everyone smile in grave a situation when a country being invaded by enemy forces, without hurting anyone, dueling can make everyone happy, this is rather unrelated, but just saying.

But I realized again that there are times that we have to fight back because not all offenders have change of heart, especially in the middle of war.

Naive isn't it?

To add, it is as you said, it's really a chaos, that enormous amount soldiers with will of iron and strength of steel that refuse to stop until they completely fulfilled their objectives.

About the harsh part, I know some people in the Special Region has no regrets living like that.
But their fate, in their times it is pretty much destined to end that way, sorry for not finishing the whole sentence, I don t know what am I saying anymore at this point, I think some medieval soldiers off screen may fear for their situation though.

Last edited by rladls2121; 2016-02-01 at 05:32.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-01, 06:35   Link #63
Brother Coa
Banned

Quote:
But I realized again that there are times that we have to fight back because not all offenders have change of heart, especially in the middle of war.

Naive isn't it?
Not quite....

When your capital and country are attacked, your citizens slaughtered or enslaved you kind of want to avenge them by sending your military for to them and giving them the taste of their own medicine.

I mean, counterattack after that kind offense is still justified today. Last time when Japan specifically did that to the USA they ended up being beaten to their home country and nuked twice. You do not see anyone defending Japan for suddenly attacking US like that and ending up losing the war in the end?

In GATE's case Empire invade first, and it was beaten back trough the GATE. Japan, wanting retribution, sent counter-attack force which resulted in conquer of Alnus Hill. Now they are playing smart and slow game - get friendly with everyone and profit from it. Why invest entire armies to crush every opposition when you can take it slowly, find their weakness and exploit it?
Brother Coa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-01, 09:31   Link #64
The 48th Ronin
EISAI HARAMASUKOI

I'm a bit confused. What exactly is Yanagida's end game with regards to Itami?

GRAND SPONSOR NO TOKYO BAY, OH CHRISTMAS
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-01, 13:14   Link #65
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orange View Post
Politically the JSDF is leashed on what it can do. Glasses wants to exploit this world for its resources for all its worth for Japan. He wants Itami who ignores politics to be his pawn.

Basically he is like Imperial Japan's political military officers of old stuck in modern Japan's JSDF whose mission is self defense of Japan.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-01, 17:54   Link #66
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Why confused about China?
China also don't really adapted other faraway countries culture in the past is it not?
I'm saying that if any country inspired Japan's imperial culture, it would be China, not Ancient Rome. Why would you even believe that? You think the West is the only source of civilization and culture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orange View Post
1) Put the stupidity of going alone (or with just a squad, in the original plan) on Itami.
2) Have a semi-believable reason for him to go there. He's not disobeying orders or opening another front in the SR, it's just a bit of reconnaissance preliminary to prospection. Which is consistent with what standing orders they have, so nobody gets into legal trouble.
3) When Itami meets the dragon, he's to do his best to survive (duh!) and radio for help.
4) At that point, the JSDF of course has to save its own and go fight that dragon in force.
5) Once that's done, well, what do you know, they have a force in giant diamond country. Which is thought to maybe also be oil country. Time to reevaluate various things.
6) ???
7) Profit!

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2016-02-01 at 18:04.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-01, 19:42   Link #67
rladls2121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'm saying that if any country inspired Japan's imperial culture, it would be China, not Ancient Rome. Why would you even believe that? You think the West is the only source of civilization and culture?
My mistake, I'm wrong about that part.
I thought Roman was the origin.
Thanks for the correction.
Old 2016-02-01, 22:34   Link #68
knaka148

Quote:
Proposing to be diplomatic, why?
No, I thought it is just harsh that ending the offenders life when being attacked is the ultimate solution.
No matter how we look at it, it still does leaves some bitter feelings don't you think?

Letting themselves killed, why?
I think what Itami did was right though, there's seemingly no other solutions looking the situation, I do wonder if there's a better solution though.

Being called the Defense Force they are, just defending won't make the killer go away, it is not that simple.
And weakened diplomatic position, it does not help to be feel conflicted by it, they are allowed to strike back, so what makes them hesitated or am I misunderstanding something?
I don't really understand what your trying to say here except for the last point. In regards to that, the original reason they originally didn't invade the other side of the gate was because they needed more information. The reason they didn't immediately attack after they arrived on the other side of the gate was to build an operational base first and gather more information about the local population. The reason they aren't attacking now is the fact that its better for them to have someone to negotiate with than not. Remember, the JSDF is trying to find a solution that avoids war since even the victorious side will likely have casualties. Also, should they destroy the empire, they may open the door for another power to emerge or just plunge the area into chaos.

Edit: oops, thought this was the last comment. Forgot to refresh my page.

Quote:
My mistake, I'm wrong about that part.
I thought Roman was the origin.
Thanks for the correction.

I think the empire may be inspired by Rome, not Japan.

Last edited by knaka148; 2016-02-01 at 23:57. Reason: addition
knaka148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-02, 00:20   Link #69
rladls2121

It's kind of hard to believe that eventually less than a year the peace treaty is signed in many countries rather too smoothly.
As far as I can see, the only country that still opposes Japan is the Empire, but it is not really clear as before anymore.
Of course Pina is against fighting, I don't know about Zorzal and that other brother though, and the king of the Empire seems he doesn't really care.

I feel Itami's adventure still like it is only the beginning.
Special Region, there are some creature like orcs and big pig creatures out there, but yet to interact with Itami's group.
The most other worldly creatures that are acquaintance of Itami's groups are some animal-ears kinds.

That stealth creature who is following orders from Tyuule, its race is still yet to confirmed.
Eventually SDF will have to meet with the creatures like those big orcs and those big two-legged pigs to fully explore Special Region eventually.

And it was certainly interesting to discuss many things with you people, learned many things.
Sorry about other parts that are not clear, I cannot explain them well.
Also, I'm sorry if some of my statements actually bothered you.
Old 2016-02-02, 02:05   Link #70
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaka148 View Post
I think the empire may be inspired by Rome, not Japan.
The empire in the fictional Special Region is clearly inspired by Rome.

The actual RL Japanese Empire had cultural influences from China, and little if any from Ancient Rome.
Old 2016-02-02, 04:53   Link #71
Skaddix

What I dont get is how they dont know Diamond is valuable like wtf....I mean Oil I can understand but not knowing Diamond's are valuable I just cant figure that out.

Yeah the Empire is a Rome Stand...Imperial Rome In I say this purely based on the garb, design, aesthetics, etc with a bunch of lesser rulers and some not very happy colonized so to speak groups, plus u know western style creatures...of course I say this is more like Rome if it was put in the position of Imperial Japan ie opened up by a foreign power.

the plan is simple, its the standard safe a friend without technically breaking the rules...they have a legit excuse for visiting but that is simply pretext to get resources to claim the resources by circumventing the rules.
Skaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-02, 07:25   Link #72
Top Sergeant

There is also an apparent medieval influence (Pina's Knights for example).

Looks like Elbe is reserving gold, copper and tin from the Japanese (at least the King specifically mentioned taking gold and bronze off the table). What the Japanese could have rights to would be oil, as previously mentioned, but other important mined resources they might find could be bauxite (for aluminum), gypsum, and zinc.
Old 2016-02-02, 13:26   Link #73
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaddix View Post
the plan is simple, its the standard safe a friend without technically breaking the rules...they have a legit excuse for visiting but that is simply pretext to get resources to claim the resources by circumventing the rules.
One thing that made it all possible was the technical legal ruler of the land they are traversing, giving them permission to do so. One of the big obstacles was the fact that the dragon was located in a Vassal kingdom. Since the king of that land gave the okay that made it legal.
Old 2016-02-03, 00:56   Link #74
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
The empire in the fictional Special Region is clearly inspired by Rome.

The actual RL Japanese Empire had cultural influences from China, and little if any from Ancient Rome.
Heck, there's even possibility that the Empire is actually descendants of Romans.
Old 2016-02-03, 02:11   Link #75
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

... I wonder if the author also lost a bet, like Jim Butcher before writing the Codex Alera?
Old 2016-02-03, 05:12   Link #76
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Heck, there's even possibility that the Empire is actually descendants of Romans.
My headcanon says they are, and nothing I've seen yet invalidates that possibility.

Quote:
... I wonder if the author also lost a bet, like Jim Butcher before writing the Codex Alera?
If so, then authors need to lose more bets.

Still think that the Codex Alera is one day destined to be an amazing anime. One season per book sounds about right. They don't even need to be full-cour seasons.
Old 2016-02-03, 05:39   Link #77
mergele

Codey Alera as anime? Fanboner confirmed.
mergele is offline   Reply With Quote