AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > GATE

Notices

View Poll Results: GATE - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 3 17.65%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 7 41.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 5 29.41%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 11.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2016-02-22, 18:45   Link #81
jasper222
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Whatever the case, I hope they find someone who's able to provide at least a little serious resistance. While I don't agree with statements I'd heard previously about this being all about how great the SDF is, it does get kind of boring to have an army that is absolutely unrivaled, an army that never has to worry because they know no one can do more than maybe one or two casualties, and even those not fatal.
While the show does put JSDF in the limelight, the tech they use represents modern military as a whole, which includes yours. Don't be an idiot and think with your flag draped on your shoulders all the time. FFS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
The last thing the author wanted was for the SDF to fight a real opponent. The series is intended to demonstrate how good and moral the SDF is and to show off all the fun weapons on live targets. It mostly comes off like a bunch of collage students beating the crap out of a class of kindergartners to me.
See above
jasper222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-22, 20:51   Link #82
Skaddix
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Well duh to the above...I mean magic, dragons, etc are all fiction ergo the author can scale it however they want. The tech is pretty accurate though of course I argue its not hard to look moral and good when you have an overwhelming advantage and your opponents keep trying conventional line up and fight warfare against you. Those morals get tested when the opposition goes guerrilla to counter your superior tech and resources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Sword 2 View Post
so with the fight between the two magical girl sisters, it is revealed Rory the referee is using the Dragon Ball Z rule book for their fight, screw somebody's house or the entire city itself, the battles were kickass!!.
Not Fair to DBZ...they pretty much always tried to move fights out of cities.
Skaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-22, 22:43   Link #83
jasper222
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaddix View Post
Well duh to the above...I mean magic, dragons, etc are all fiction ergo the author can scale it however they want. The tech is pretty accurate though of course I argue its not hard to look moral and good when you have an overwhelming advantage and your opponents keep trying conventional line up and fight warfare against you. Those morals get tested when the opposition goes guerrilla to counter your superior tech and resources.
While I agree with all your points, you missed mine. My point was that their race didn't matter because put any other military outfit in their state and it's pretty much the same thing with only a few cultural differences.

Their posts are pretty much a crystallization of the misconceptions about this series.
jasper222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-23, 01:58   Link #84
BWTraveller
Azure Dragon reborn
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper222 View Post
While the show does put JSDF in the limelight, the tech they use represents modern military as a whole, which includes yours. Don't be an idiot and think with your flag draped on your shoulders all the time. FFS.
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. I was just saying that a story where the "villains" are absolutely incapable of putting up a proper fight against the "heroes" is boring. I don't know if I agree with some people's assertions that this is done to show off how great the JSDF is, any more than any other military series could be said to be about the "greatness" of the "heroes'" army. If the heroes are in an army, that army or at least their part of that army is bound to be shown in a positive light, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the author's trying to show said army off. Thus, I didn't agree with the declaration that the author is trying to make his heroes' force look good or bad or anything, but I thought that maybe the reason some were saying this was because they were never facing an enemy that could actually give them a good fight. No matter what group you're dealing with, if the core antagonists of a series provide about as much danger as a fly, the story tends to get dull after a while. Thus, I want the empire to be able to put up some degree of proper fight, in order to provide more proper conflict.

It seems like you're trying to make the issue about race, but really race and nationality have absolutely nothing to do with it. I just want to see the heroes face a worthy opponent who's more than just a sidequest.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-23, 02:58   Link #85
Brother Coa
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Holy Terra
And like I explained - there is no real danger or strong enough oponent to represent real threat because that's not the point.

The point is interaction and exchange between two worlds and various nations living in them. As such the show will never be boring or dull as there will always be somehing new to happen.

Besides, people actually approve for SDF being so OP since there can be many 'Murica f**k yah' moments that everyone like. To quote one comment from youtube Italica battle video: 'Take that mediveal commies!'
Brother Coa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-23, 04:29   Link #86
jasper222
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
My long response got cut because of bad internet. Here's TLDR

Quote:
I was just saying that a story where the "villains" are absolutely incapable of putting up a proper fight against the "heroes" is boring.
I'm sorry, and I agree with your post. It applies more to Magewolf. But the whole point of this series isn't BRRRRT but the challenge of setting up shop in a new world and befriending the locals while resisting the urge to call in the nukes.

I don't blame you for watching it for BRRRT but please just remember it's not the point. Besides, it's not like the Empire (Gate world to be exact) ain't giving them challenges anyway.
jasper222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-23, 06:18   Link #87
Skaddix
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Medieval Commies? Empire is far from that.

I take your point Jasper the country involved is irrelevant.

Well Nukes wouldnt help since they want resources and you cant mine a location you nuked to oblivion. But the challenge is more the JSDF maintaining their morals as the Empire gets dirty so to speak. The challenge is more resisting the urge to roll the Empire and just stuff Pina in as a puppet leader.
Skaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-23, 07:14   Link #88
Brother Coa
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Holy Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper222 View Post
I don't blame you for watching it for BRRRT but please just remember it's not the point. Besides, it's not like the Empire (Gate world to be exact) ain't giving them challenges anyway.
BRRRT is still one od the points, as one of the show primary focus is modern millitary vs. mediveal army.
And BRRRT is used when everything else fails. So it's still a major focus itself.

@Skaddix I meant mediveal commies as a joke reference since Huey is iconic american machine used in a fight against communist Vietnam.
Brother Coa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-23, 08:00   Link #89
Haak
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 27
Did they just hint that the humans of the fantasy world actually came from our own world centuries back? Because that would be a very interesting reveal.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-23, 08:50   Link #90
BWTraveller
Azure Dragon reborn
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Did they just hint that the humans of the fantasy world actually came from our own world centuries back? Because that would be a very interesting reveal.
Yes, and actually this has been hinted for some time. Several people had commented on the similarities between this Empire and the ancient Roman empire. It's not a far leap to guess that a seemingly-Roman empire in a world that had an Otherworldly Gate and knew what it was had originated from Romans crossing the gate.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-23, 09:30   Link #91
Skaddix
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Well yeah the Gate makes the hints obvious...although I wouldnt say modeling your Fantasy Empire after Rome is unique happens all the goddamn time in Fantasy Fiction.
Skaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-23, 11:21   Link #92
Grampa
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Its not only Romans that have came cross the gate, I have found people dressed as if the come from Persian kingdom, Viking age, Early Middle age in the north (guessing brittain) and The Ottoman Empire, It not gonna suprise me if the JSDF also encounter people from other civilizationer like those that came from south amerika (Inka for example), some from medieval afrika and many other from east asia and so on.
Grampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-23, 12:26   Link #93
Brother Coa
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Holy Terra
Yeah... I doubt that world was that connected in those times.
Also if you follow by manga and LN the Empire is pretty much Roman Empire in fantasy world.
Brother Coa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.