Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-04-20, 01:56   Link #61
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Eve's profile:

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-20, 02:01   Link #62
Kazu-kun

The final score for the round was

Aoi: -10
Eve: -10

It was a draw. Aoi could have won if she scored the birdie at the end, but she missed. Rose was acting suspicious though. Made me think she rigged the hole or Aoi's ball.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2022-04-20 at 10:48.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-20, 02:39   Link #63
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

That's a very nice thinking from Eve by taking advantage of her previous path where she already cleared out the obstacles in previous game. It also make sense for her to still use her style instead of suddenly able to mimic Aoi with that trajectory.

The deal that Eve made with Rose & the mob boss sounds ominous. Since they are mafia, cheating & rigging shouldn't be below them.

Also, I didn't get the chance to address it before but I really like the OP song. It sounds like something you hear in Japanese jazz lounge sometimes. The ED is pretty good too. None of them are too anime-generic.

The production quality also remains relatively high so far. And all the mature-looking beautiful women in this episode really amps up my enjoyment. I guess it's partly thanks to Kuroda that the girls in the show are not moeblobs who looks like 12yo or younger.

Oh, and we finally see Amuro .
Old 2022-04-20, 06:05   Link #64
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

The thing that surprises me the most is that this show is made by BN Pictures and not actual Sunrise considering that girls are pretty fancervisy-looking despite the show not going to ecchi area.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-20, 12:03   Link #65
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I do love the girl who is angry at Eve for "ruining her golf" because she saw her take a single swing. And it was so bad that she couldn't even play particularly well days afterwards. That is some impressive mental fragility .

A pretty fun episode overall. Even if the two didn't get to compete as head to head as they might have wanted.
Old 2022-04-20, 18:27   Link #66
ryllharu

My expectations for this series continue to be just that it is fun. And it delivers.

Golf Mafia Balalaika...check.
Silencing Amane's arrogance that Eve could never compare to Aoi on the same hole they played the day before...check.

There was a nice set up and payoff with the previous champion being off her game. Aoi and Eve both mess up other golfers' calm and focus with their carefree and flawless or reckless gambling play styles. Golf is a mental game after all, right?

Unless the other players are extremely confident with their own playstyle, like Aoi is, Eve will disrupt their ability to play. And that's exactly what she does, even if "she kinda sucks."
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-20, 18:38   Link #67
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I had a really good laugh when Eve went "SUPER DUPER SPECIAL GREEN BULLET"... for a simple put. She's a complete chuuni.
Although it seems obvious Rose cheated as her subordinate last week, Aoi's line about the winds of that city being tricky provides reasonable doubt.
Old 2022-04-21, 14:25   Link #68
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

So Eve caught up that much with all her bullet shots? Seems a bit implausible, but it's an anime about hitting shots through forests so I guess I'll have to suspend disbelief haha
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-21, 16:26   Link #69
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumcyclonex View Post
So Eve caught up that much with all her bullet shots? Seems a bit implausible, but it's an anime about hitting shots through forests so I guess I'll have to suspend disbelief haha
Not quite. They glossed over in the jumps back to Japan, as if all viewers should just know it, but they did hint at the distinction. At Aoi's school, the girls in the front were paying attention to the overall leaderboard, pointing out that Aoi was -16 par on whatever hole that was. But the two in the back noticed that Aoi was losing to Eve. The other aces at the other schools all noticed too.

Aoi is going to win the tournament by a disgusting margin after 4 full days of play. Which is why the 2nd best girl at Aoi's school didn't even want to watch.

But for the 4th day only, she was losing to Eve, a special invitation player who was playing just this one day and would not be eligible to win the tournament. Like auditing a class, she's there, but won't get any credit.
Old 2022-04-21, 17:11   Link #70
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
for the 4th day only, she was losing to Eve, a special invitation player who was playing just this one day and would not be eligible to win the tournament. Like auditing a class, she's there, but won't get any credit.
Not exactly. Eve ended the round with -10, and Aoi managed to catch up to her in the 17th hole.

In the 18th hole, Aoi had the chance to score -11 and surpass Eve, but she missed the last shot.

So the final score for the day was a draw at -10 for both of them.

Eve had an advantage at the beginning which is what you noted, but she didn't manage to keep her advantage all the way through despite using all her strength. Aoi is just too good.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2022-04-21 at 17:50.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-21, 18:11   Link #71
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
The thing that surprises me the most is that this show is made by BN Pictures and not actual Sunrise considering that girls are pretty fancervisy-looking despite the show not going to ecchi area.
I mean, the girl golfers in the anime are pretty much wearing what IRL players wear:

Also, I doubt Japanese children & family will be fazed (much) by such attires. For example, Super Sentai is a children & family show. But have you seen the Super Sentai villainess outfits?

And those are real girls, not animated. There's even an anime this season (Love After World Domination) that's poking fun at the "sexy sentai villainess"-trope. So I don't think the girls in Birdie Wing stand out when it comes to fanservice in a family show. They're just beautiful characters wearing golf attires.
Old 2022-04-21, 18:20   Link #72
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Not exactly. Eve ended the round with -10, and Aoi managed to catch up to her in the 17th hole.

In the 18th hole, Aoi had the chance to score -11 and surpass Eve, but she missed the last shot.

So the final score for the day was a draw at -10 for both of them.

Eve had an advantage at the beginning which is what you noted, but she didn't manage to keep her advantage all the way through despite using all her strength. Aoi is just too good.
I wouldn't say it was wrong, just how golf works because they were in different groups. Aoi in the latter groups because she was one of the leaders for the tournament.

Eve was ahead, with a lead over Aoi's equivalent for the day, which is what all the other golfers at the Japanese schools were pointing out. Eve was beating Aoi's stroke count on the equivalent holes in the first half. It gives the impression that Aoi is losing, even though she actually hasn't played the same amount of holes on that day.

Aoi caught up rapidly like you mentioned, doing far better than Eve did in the back half. We're saying the same thing, just differently.

One (minor) fault in this series is that it doesn't explain anything about the sport, since it lacks a "Oh, how does this work?!" character. Everyone already plays golf, caddies, or swindles people at mini-golf.
Old 2022-04-21, 20:10   Link #73
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

I'm also a bit surprised that in some sports anime, including in this latest episode, there are characters that proclaim that they want to be someone else's only partner, or only one to support them. As if they've already given up on all their dreams as a player and resigned themselves to remain related to the sport by playing a secondary role in the success of their friend/teammate etc.

Personally, I wonder why manga/anime writers write characters who do this. It doesn't make any sense. No one in the real world grows up and says to themselves "I wanna be the 2nd best at something", or "I'm going to be the pillar of support for someone else's success". No...in the real world, everyone is jostling for power, position, and prestige in their sport/team. No one ever wants to play second fiddle to anyone else, because sports is inherently competitive.

In the real world, not everyone can become a top pro at their sport. Many don't make it, and become coaches, but that's usually after a series of long discussions and/or injuries that prevent them from ascending higher in their sport. It usually happens to older athletes, not athletes in the youth level.

So for manga/anime writers to paint characters so young as already giving up their original dreams is quite far fetched. It's a turn off to me because as much as I'm willing to suspend disbelief for the sake of those bullet shots (or Prince of Tennis super shots, or Kuroko no Basuke's insane moves), none of them have characters that from the get go, are introduced as already relegating themselves to a "lesser"/different role in their respective sports than the initial childhood primary reason they got into it in the first place.

Sorry. Rant over. Just something I cannot really get over when it comes to writing sports characters.
Old 2022-04-23, 18:24   Link #74
Alchemist007
*Author

The two players: this is fun!

The assistant: SHE'S OUR ENEMY.
Old 2022-04-23, 19:24   Link #75
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post

Aoi needs a new caddie. Amane just doesn't understand her.
Old 2022-04-23, 19:27   Link #76
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post

The assistant is amazingly intense. "Let's see Aoi crush your heart into pieces!!!" Nothing wrong with a competitive streak of course. And Aoi's career is important to her own future. But wow, she is all kinds of intense even if it is mostly kept in her own thoughts. Well outside of sadistic whispers .
Old 2022-04-26, 22:16   Link #77
Kazu-kun

Well, it's confirmed now. Rose did cheat on the last hole to make Aoi miss.
Old 2022-04-27, 03:31   Link #78
Sean Gaffney
Nomad of the Time Streams

The last two minutes of this episode were some of the best anime I've ever seen. Seriously. Even Pakkun is crying.
Sean Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-27, 06:44   Link #79
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Yep, this is it. This is the kind of OTT that will keep this golf anime far from boring:
  • Mafia turf wars being decided by golf matches? check
  • Seto Kaiba-level of crazy high-tech facility just to play a game? check
  • Animalistic opponent who has a (lewd) skill like Deep Niobe from Saint Seiya? check
  • MC making a slave out of said opponent? check
  • Golf balls being shot at a jumbo jet? check

Seriously, what's not to love?

Also, I love that of all the crazy things shown in this episode, shortening driving distance from 4 hours to 2 hours is simply impossible and that's what made Eve late. Gotta maintain that hook for the show, amirite?

VR golf next episode? Yay.
Old 2022-04-27, 14:59   Link #80
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Yep, this is it. This is the kind of OTT that will keep this golf anime far from boring:
  • Mafia turf wars being decided by golf matches? check
  • Seto Kaiba-level of crazy high-tech facility just to play a game? check
  • Animalistic opponent who has a (lewd) skill like Deep Niobe from Saint Seiya? check
  • MC making a slave out of said opponent? check
  • Golf balls being shot at a jumbo jet? check

Seriously, what's not to love?

Also, I love that of all the crazy things shown in this episode, shortening driving distance from 4 hours to 2 hours is simply impossible and that's what made Eve late. Gotta maintain that hook for the show, amirite?

VR golf next episode? Yay.
Crazy how all of that was underground. Agreed on Seto Kaiba vibes. Was also thinking underground buildings like in Neon Genesis Evangelion popping up from all that heavy turf moving machinery.

Tags
golf, sports