AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-12-02, 18:44   Link #1
Rin-chan

Send a message via AIM to Rin-chan Send a message via MSN to Rin-chan
Question Final Fantasy 11 vs. Ragnarok Online

I find that fans of Final Fantasy upmost hates RO , and RO fans hate FF11. I am asking for people to list reason you like or hate FF11/RO and say why you perfer one over the other. Myself i like FF11 alot more, here are my reasons.

1. RO doesnt seems to be "Connected" , I feel lost most of the time i played.

2. RO has terrible macro system , For some reason i couldnt get half of my macros to work . It may be that i had no idea what to do but they till make macro to simple in that game.

3. RO had extremly basic menus and No maps(of world)

4. Ro's Classes seemed boring to me and simple. It seems like all you where doing was slashing and slashing.

5. The most import of all is Ros lak of Comunitation, I went thru playing about 4 jobs , lving class lv to 15 without having one person talking to me. This almost opposite in FF11. From the get-go in FF11 people talk to you, The whole game is based around pting. But the best thing in my opinion about FF11 is Linkshell, I can chat with all my friends everyday, This was one of the reason i extremly didnt want to quit FF11. Actually i share emails with some people from FF11 on a regular basis.

6. Final reason which has to do with Comunication is FF's realizim. It makes you feel your inside the Game. So every time you enter a new place your exited to explure it.

K thats all the reasons i can think of

(ps. if this thread is already in existance please feel free to delete)
Rin-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-03, 10:28   Link #2
Archuka
A territory most absolute

I played RO for years. It's a nice MMORPG, but completely different from FFXI. I wouldn't even try to compare these two as it would be like comparing Baldur's Gate with Diablo.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-03, 21:04   Link #3
Rin-chan

Send a message via AIM to Rin-chan Send a message via MSN to Rin-chan
The point of this thread is not to find out which game is beter. The point is to figure out who do RO players hate FF11 and why do FF11 players hate RO. I also think because FF11 and RO are the two anime-ish MMORPG right know they should be compared but that not what we are doing here.
Rin-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-03, 21:39   Link #4
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin-chan
The point of this thread is not to find out which game is beter. The point is to figure out who do RO players hate FF11 and why do FF11 players hate RO. I also think because FF11 and RO are the two anime-ish MMORPG right know they should be compared but that not what we are doing here.

FF11 is in NO WAY anime-ish. It's just stupid and boring.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-03, 22:11   Link #5
Necrodeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archuka
I played RO for years. It's a nice MMORPG, but completely different from FFXI. I wouldn't even try to compare these two as it would be like comparing Baldur's Gate with Diablo.
Diablo rocks your world, and you know it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekaMaster
FF11 is in NO WAY anime-ish. It's just stupid and boring.
That would be your personal opinion.

I can't really comment on this, because I haven't played either one
Necrodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-03, 22:46   Link #6
TrueKnight

No, FF 11 is not boring nor stupid, it's addictive when you actually pulled into it, plus, less LAG. Oh yeah, goody. The combining classes are fun, the partying are fun, the massive huge world are fun as hell, the pet systems are decent, exploring the world is the main thing, leveling is so damn hard for some classes that you have to party no matter what, and that whats made it soo good, and white mages are dumbasses I tell you for thinking high and mighty, well at least imo. Also they had their little economy in there too, blacksmithing are fun too though.
The only problem that you can found in there is probably the never-ending dispute between american and japanese player imo, although some respected each other, but some aren't.

Ragnarok Online, the one that made this thing interesting is probably the anime feel. Yes the sprites really reminded you of chibi anime form and it is cute, it's probably the main appeal, also the face thingy. Classes are good, many choices, the thing that's probably that unlike FF 11, you put your own stats at free will, designing perfectly your own char. The lag in RO tastes like shit, especially when you're participating an Emperium War, fighting other chars. Not to mention a huge amount of leechers, far worse than FF 11. The economy is rather good. And yes, you can solo your way into level 99 without even partying, that's the bad about it.

so, in the end imo, I think FF 11 better. And yes I like it more, though I've completely done with it because of work.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-04, 03:58   Link #7
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight
No, FF 11 is not boring nor stupid, it's addictive when you actually pulled into it, plus, less LAG. Oh yeah, goody. The combining classes are fun, the partying are fun, the massive huge world are fun as hell, the pet systems are decent, exploring the world is the main thing, leveling is so damn hard for some classes that you have to party no matter what, and that whats made it soo good, and white mages are dumbasses I tell you for thinking high and mighty, well at least imo. Also they had their little economy in there too, blacksmithing are fun too though.
The only problem that you can found in there is probably the never-ending dispute between american and japanese player imo, although some respected each other, but some aren't.

You need to play at least a month if you have a life to even get close to advanced classes. You are forced to party if you want to level which is very lame.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-04, 06:48   Link #8
Inuzuka
now with 20% more ego!

Send a message via MSN to Inuzuka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin-chan
The point is to figure out who do RO players hate FF11 and why do FF11 players hate RO.
Because of personal prefrence. People who play FF XI that hate RO is proberbly because:

1) They themselves had bad experiences with RO, vice versa.

2) They have played RO and prefer FF XI more as compared, the contrast between their more prefered game (FF XI) and RO would eventually put RO in a worse light, vice versa.

The gamers wouldn't 'hate' either game unless they had really bad experiences with it, or maybe they could just be morons trying to make a statement, "Hey, I play FF XI and I hate RO because... because I play FF XI!"
Inuzuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-04, 11:52   Link #9
bishounen_blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka
Because of personal prefrence. People who play FF XI that hate RO is proberbly because:

1) They themselves had bad experiences with RO, vice versa.

2) They have played RO and prefer FF XI more as compared, the contrast between their more prefered game (FF XI) and RO would eventually put RO in a worse light, vice versa.

The gamers wouldn't 'hate' either game unless they had really bad experiences with it, or maybe they could just be morons trying to make a statement, "Hey, I play FF XI and I hate RO because... because I play FF XI!"
I like the battle system in FFXI, and the very huge world to explore is a good thing for sure. I really don't like the experience system at all. You can't level without a party, and all the party members need to be very close to the same level. The end result is that you can't just log on for an hour and level up. You can spend a whole hour just trying to get a party together. Also, they mix the American and Japanese players together which is great, but you can't imput kana and kanji with the American version of the game. I mean, how stupid is that? My friend plays RO, so I only know a little bit about it. They both have their ups and downs. If you enjoy the games then that's all that counts. FFXI was just too time consuming for me. It took way too long to barely get anywhere in the game. I played for two months and that was it.
bishounen_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-06, 11:35   Link #10
hamiko_san
September Jellyfish

10 things more, you never know.

Last edited by hamiko_san; 2007-12-25 at 16:43.
hamiko_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-06, 12:54   Link #11
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

I played RO, but I never played FFXI sow I can't comment on this. I like LineageII more than RO does that count??
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-06, 19:08   Link #12
anime-otaku
Lazy Guitarist

Send a message via AIM to anime-otaku Send a message via Yahoo to anime-otaku
Well let's seperate and critic,

Graphics

RO: RO was out way before FFXI and has out dated graphics, but the sprites has large appeal with anime fans. Also with the more dated graphics, it means you really don't need that "souped" up of a computer to enjoy it.

FFXI: The graphics for FFXI is really there to push the envelope on graphics cards. Really beautiful enviroments and every thing is "eye candy". With all that in mind, to really enjoy FFXI you will need a pretty high end computer .

Gameplay

RO: RO's game play is quite simple, you level up and achieve classes, kill monsters and get items, weapons, and armors. RO is a faster game then FFXI in the game play area. And most of the time, you could go pretty far without a party. ( I became a knight in 1 week soloing )

FFXI: FFXI's game play is different from RO in such that, for most part of the game you will require a party to even level. The action for FFXI is relatively very slow ( The fastest delay for a weapon is 1.5 seconds ) FFXI has a complex class system that some might be attracted to.

Community

RO: Communities are built on clans, And as a newbie to RO it could be rather harsh, and shy away many players to RO. But like all games it's fun once you get to know some people.

FFXI: Now this is what I am talking about, the communities are extremely strong in FFXI ( My first experience, a nice person helped me out on my first hour) And the environment for a newbie is more welcoming.

But then again, RO and FFXI are completely different games, and it's really hard to compare.

But to sum it up, if you like a game where you can roam around spelunking, killing monsters on your own, and with relatively faster action Go for RO, where as if you are a really social person and like games with pretty graphics, go for FFXI ( adding to the fact that you are just a hardcore FF Fan )
anime-otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 11:21   Link #13
Alexcha17
Banned

FFXII ownz Ragnarok!!! Ragnarok is stinky as shit!
Alexcha17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 15:12   Link #14
Archuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexcha17
FFXII ownz Ragnarok!!! Ragnarok is stinky as shit!
Fanboy alert!
Old 2004-12-07, 16:32   Link #15
krispydigital

Send a message via AIM to krispydigital Send a message via MSN to krispydigital
heh heh... there are two guys in my comp sci class and they always argue about which is better. i haven't played them, but final fantasy seems much more appealing. i would play if i didn't have to pay a montly fee
krispydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 00:53   Link #16
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
yeah. i love both games, and both are good in their different respects.

now i cant quite say that i have beaten either game, as i am at genkai on FF11, and have never obtained a lv 99 character on ragnarok.

FFXI Pros:

Lag free is the way to be

Macro system has many many more options that what RO offers. especially with text commands (not including @go for RO)

Party based leveling- everything is based around its community. everything. so you get to know people, and have fun with people.

slower gameplay, lag is less of a factor. less

RO pros:

Fast gameplay: exciting, quick, on-your-seat-hope-i-dont-lag gameplay. at higher levels with good gear (you cannot say you have played ragnarok until you have obtained a ~lv 30 character) (similarly you cannot say you have played FFXI until you have obrained a ~35 character)

Easy macro system, user friendly GUI, dragable windows. dragable items, customizable skill macros.

Less of an emphasis on party based leveling. at later levels it is quintessentially required to have a party. ever try killing mistress without a preist?

MVP. i have never experienced the thrill of MVP victory on FFXI. then again, i havent pwned maat yet.

Customizable character. equips, weapons.

to whomever said they could level to 99: you are full of it. there is no one alive who has enough patience to level to 99 without a party. it would take you DECADES with 1x experience.

FFXI cons: walking takes freaking forever. no flywings.

Slower gameplay means you get less done.

crafting/economy is immensly complicated.

Gil Farmers- people who make real money by acquiring rare items, and selling them.

Immensly complex skillchains

non-customizable windows.

Fishing. without a shock pack. thing. for ps2. ah~ rumble pack.

Money is hard to come by in game. copious amounts of money anyway.

little character customization

lvls 5->18 are HELLISH because of the retards in valkrum dunes. qufim is pretty bad as well, kazahm gets better.... but the party makes the experience.

RO cons:

lack of player-player interaction encouragement. guild limit

buggy skills, crappy skill descriptions, no skill resetter (in iRO... or have they implemented one?)

some skills just dont work/have no purpose. (Play dead???)

LAG

"small" world.

cannot really modify your sprite. except for minor, hat/color changes.

Ragnarok>FFXI on low end machines, with short attention spanned users

FFXI> ragnarok on a mid->high end machine with an ADD free user. (things take a LONG time in FFXI.) (everyone i know who has tried FFXI, and has ADD hated it.)

did i mention Party/Friends list is buggy with server resets?

whisper commands = terrible.

party/guild chat toggle? (maybe there is a text command for this. i havent really checked. but the button is annoying.)

thank god for this thread.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 13:20   Link #17
Archuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins

Lag free is the way to be

Macro system has many many more options that what RO offers. especially with text commands (not including @go for RO)

Party based leveling- everything is based around its community. everything. so you get to know people, and have fun with people.

RO pros:

Less of an emphasis on party based leveling. at later levels it is quintessentially required to have a party. ever try killing mistress without a preist?

to whomever said they could level to 99: you are full of it. there is no one alive who has enough patience to level to 99 without a party. it would take you DECADES with 1x experience.

FFXI cons: walking takes freaking forever. no flywings.

RO cons:

lack of player-player interaction encouragement. guild limit

party/guild chat toggle? (maybe there is a text command for this. i havent really checked. but the button is annoying.)

thank god for this thread.
In iRO, I leveled to L87 almost exlusively solo, and the first one to reach L99 was a knight played by more than one people, but moslty by soloing. I suppose soloing is easier for knights who can recover fairly quickly while other classes have to restock supplies.

Oh and about the FFXI Party/LS chat. When you want to talk to your party, you press alt+p and for LS you use alt+l. Alternatively, you can type /p or /l and it will come out as party or LL chat.

FFXI has a pretty good macro system, but it pales in comparison to the one in Anarchy Online. In that game you could do anything with macros, including looping macros together.

I agree with the slow walking speed being annoying in FFXI. It takes you forever to get anywhere because chocobos and airships are just so slow. In AO you could fly with small flying vehicles or by casting the nano formula Quantum Wings. Both methods allowed you to travel at speeds that must have been over 20 times as fast as normal running. I wish they put something like that in FFXI.
Old 2004-12-08, 13:53   Link #18
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archuka
In iRO, I leveled to L87 almost exlusively solo, and the first one to reach L99 was a knight played by more than one people, but moslty by soloing. I suppose soloing is easier for knights who can recover fairly quickly while other classes have to restock supplies.

Oh and about the FFXI Party/LS chat. When you want to talk to your party, you press alt+p and for LS you use alt+l. Alternatively, you can type /p or /l and it will come out as party or LL chat.

FFXI has a pretty good macro system, but it pales in comparison to the one in Anarchy Online. In that game you could do anything with macros, including looping macros together.

I agree with the slow walking speed being annoying in FFXI. It takes you forever to get anywhere because chocobos and airships are just so slow. In AO you could fly with small flying vehicles or by casting the nano formula Quantum Wings. Both methods allowed you to travel at speeds that must have been over 20 times as fast as normal running. I wish they put something like that in FFXI.
FFXI cannot loop macros because it comes too close to botting

I know about the FFXI chat thing, i was making a comment on ragnarok's lack of one.

Ragnarok's walking speed varies with lag, but it is generally better than FFXI.

I doubt that they could actually level to 99 solo.

as her/his last fight, she/he killed baphomet. baphomet is not something that a knight can solo. all her/his friends were there.

Mages are the ultimate soloing class. Eggra+vitata cards+berz card= pwnage.

hence the "primarily". levels 1-66 may be done completly solo, without much outside help. but when you reach 92, the XP slows WAAY down. see: logarithmic growth of XP requirement.

I must say that RO would absolutly 100% trounce FFXI with out-of game support. like a forum for members to congregate on, and even Teamspeak to communicate more readily. but most users dont have it... ...

overall FFXI takes the cake with better dedicated hosting, and no lag issues.
Old 2004-12-08, 14:05   Link #19
Archuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins

as her/his last fight, she/he killed baphomet. baphomet is not something that a knight can solo. all her/his friends were there.
Actually, Baphomet can easily be killed solo with Counter Attack. In fact, the first people to reach knighthood constantly camped Baphomet because of this.

I never managed to claim Baphomet, but I did solo Doppleganger, who is much more difficult to Counter because of his insane attack speed.

And the first L99 knight (female) was on the Chaos server and her last level up came from an Abyssal Knight in Glast Heim. She did have lots of people with her, but she refused to accept any assistance and took it down solo.
Old 2004-12-08, 16:47   Link #20
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

okay. how did you deal with its summons?

or do they not summon in iRO.

but i suppose you are correct in your assessment. i am a little bit behind on the workings of iRO.

but i speak for ragnarok in general not just iRO.

3rd classes just may put RO ahead of FFXI.

they look freaking tight.

Abbs=mvp as well yes?