AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-17, 01:47   Link #1
mytwin.45s

Good sports anime

As the title says i'm lookin for a romance/sports anime. I'm lookin for something with mature characters and a male lead who's not one of those guys you always see who just does not notice that like 10 girls are in love with him. I just watched Cross Game for the first time and that's why I made this thread so i'm lookin for somethin similar to that. I would like atleast a 24episode anime and i like it when they get together before the last episode. Oh i should say that i would prefer ones about football (got the feeling i'm not gonna get too many for this one),baseball, hockey (this one 2), and definetely MMA. Thanks in advance for any suggestions u give.
Old 2010-06-17, 01:53   Link #2
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Touch is pretty good. It's by the same author as Cross Game.

My favorite is Ookiku Furikubutte.

Other sports anime I've watched are Hajime no Ippo and Prince of Tennis.
Old 2010-06-17, 02:01   Link #3
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwin.45s View Post
As the title says i'm lookin for a romance/sports anime. I'm lookin for something with mature characters and a male lead who's not one of those guys you always see who just does not notice that like 10 girls are in love with him. I just watched Cross Game for the first time and that's why I made this thread so i'm lookin for somethin similar to that.
Yes, it seems pretty much guaranteed that you're going to love Touch, considering it's by the same author as Cross Game and has all the same elements which made that series as good as it was.

And I'll also second Ookiku Furikabutte for some great portrayals of team-building and friendship - though if you're looking for romance, there is zero romance content.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2010-06-17, 02:03   Link #4
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Touch is pretty good. It's by the same author as Cross Game.

+1

It is not as polished as Cross Game in my opinion, but still quite a nice watch/read.
Old 2010-06-17, 02:05   Link #5
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I will second any prior and all eventual references to Cross Game and Touch in this thread.
Old 2010-06-17, 07:40   Link #6
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
As everyone else said, Touch and Big Windup

Eyeshield for football

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-06-17, 10:04   Link #7
james0246

Baseball: Princess Nine, Taishou Yakyuu Musume.
Hockey: All I know of is My Heavenly Hockey Club, but supposedly the NHL is looking to work with some anime companies in the not to distant future...
Tennis: Ace o Nerae!
Martial Arts: Yawara! (longer than you asked for)
Basketball: Basquash!
Old 2010-06-17, 14:27   Link #8
LMF

Captain Tsubasa/ soccer. Nice anime that was popular around the world.

Eyeshield 21/Prince of Tennis/ Hajime no Ippo were good
Old 2010-06-17, 16:56   Link #9
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Basketball: Basquash!
Oh yes. I'd recommend this show straight away to anyway looking for a good sports anime. With a twist of course.
Old 2010-06-17, 17:25   Link #10
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Yes, it seems pretty much guaranteed that you're going to love Touch, considering it's by the same author as Cross Game and has all the same elements which made that series as good as it was.

And I'll also second Ookiku Furikabutte for some great portrayals of team-building and friendship - though if you're looking for romance, there is zero romance content.
Well - unless you count implied bromance. It's still worthwhile for the friendship themes, though.

The challenge you present is that romance part. I think this something of a golden age of smart sport anime - Giant Killing, OoFuri, Major, of course Cross Game. But not many of them have that overt romance content. Touch is very old school visually, but it's the closest thing to Cross Game in terms of complex, likable leads and some romantic development.
Old 2010-06-17, 19:52   Link #11
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
But not many of them have that overt romance content.
I'm not a sports anime buff but in the case of Oofuri that's fine by me. The aspect of the show I like the most is that it keeps its focus narrow. Although I like Touch more overall, Touch couldn't possibly deliver an equally satisfying portrayal of the actual sport and things associated with it (teambuilding, etc). As for "implied bromance", I don't see this being of much pertinence apart from fan/forum discussions/jokes.

Old 2010-06-17, 20:23   Link #12
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
I'm not a sports anime buff but in the case of Oofuri that's fine by me. The aspect of the show I like the most is that it keeps its focus narrow. Although I like Touch more overall, Touch couldn't possibly deliver an equally satisfying portrayal of the actual sport and things associated with it (teambuilding, etc). As for "implied bromance", I don't see this being of much pertinence apart from fan/forum discussions/jokes.
While I agree, I don't think Touch makes any effort to offer a comprehensive overall portrait of the sport so it doesn't lose points for that for me. For what the OP is asking for, I think it's a better fit. For Adachi, the sport is just the easel - he actually paints the picture with the characters.

OoFuri, OTOH, is more of a psychological deconstruction of the teenaged male under competitive pressure. A narrow focus is a good way to put it - even down to the pacing, which can be close to "real-time". It's baseball, tournament pressure, and all the aspects of teamwork and rivalry that are part of that.
Old 2010-06-17, 21:18   Link #13
pseudonhym
わかんないよ

Slam Dunk anyone? It's not as romantically focused as the Adachi creation's Touch and Cross Game, but it has its own share of sweat and love. (It's basketball though)
Old 2010-06-17, 23:12   Link #14
mytwin.45s

Thanks for all the suggestions people. In particular Touch, Slam Dunk, and Yawara caught my eye. I am looking for an anime more focused on the romance and the character development. I guess you could say i'm looking for a romance anime with a sport setting.
Old 2010-06-18, 00:38   Link #15
Theowne
耳をすませば

You should know that only half of Yawara has been subtitled (both officially and through fansub). Though the fansub group has picked it up once more to finish, it will probably be a very long time before that happens.

Old 2010-06-18, 02:24   Link #16
mytwin.45s

thnx theowne i'll put that on my to watch list then
Old 2010-06-19, 00:48   Link #17
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

There are only eight subbed episodes of Hiatari Ryoukou but that is a great watch as well. I'm going to second whoever said Cross Game and Touch.
Old 2010-06-19, 01:23   Link #18
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

No one mention Major yet, eh ?

Yeah this series is maybe not as great as OoFuri in objective term, but this Superman baseball anime is very entertaining and interesting because its looked like the Protagonist biography.

Very enjoyable long raid I must say, though its maybe too cheesy if u don't like many Shounen tropes on it.
Old 2010-06-19, 22:46   Link #19
Qwey

Yeah, Major is a really fun watch. I haven't seen season 6 yet since I'm waiting for it to finish before I start it, but there is a relationship in it although it isn't very important/focused on.
Old 2010-06-20, 00:41   Link #20
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, that relationship with Shimizu in Major is pretty important - but intermittently. When it's the subject, it dominates the story - but we can go entire runs of episodes without a mention of it. It seemed to be a large part of S5, but hasn't had much focus in S6 thus far. Still - I've like S6 as much as any since the first despite that fact.
Closed Thread