Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2008-02-27, 22:54   Link #5901
Shiro-Oh!
Previously Unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamknight87 View Post
Anyways, believe it or not I still don't have any replica of any kind or size of the RX-78-2. You guys recommend a MG version of it? The Ver. Ka. looks sweet enough but supposedly a 2.0 version is going to come out this year... or should I get it in any other form (MSiA, GFF)?
*Gasp* =O How can you not have an RX-78? Lol! Anyway, like sword.impulse have said, both 1.0 and 1.5 doesn't quite cut the cheese. However, I would recommend the One Year War version, either the game color scheme or the anime color scheme(I have the anime color scheme). The OYW's well-engineered inner frame makes the kit very flexible. And it is the best looking RX-78 so far. =)

Or wait for the version 2.0. I wonder what "new technology" Bandai will incorporate with this one...
Shiro-Oh! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-28, 00:03   Link #5902
beamknight87
Gold Saint

lol I think I'll see if there is one RX-78-2 OYW model in the store during the weekend then (still searching for a Unicorn to pull off a TROMBE! version lol), I don't really mind about the color scheme difference. A real mystery to myself why I haven't got one yet despite being a great fan of it -_-
What I don't get of this Gundam is why all the photos of any MG version box show its bazooka in pure white when it is actually molded in gray/black plastic?

Last edited by beamknight87; 2008-02-28 at 00:16.
beamknight87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-28, 00:34   Link #5903
ReverseFate
Chinese Federation

Lol, I always wanted a RX-78-2 O.Y.W ver. The flexibility is just awesome. But all I got was the Coating ver, and it was not nearly as good as I thought it was upon purchase .

EDIT: Hmm, found some pictures on the Overflag:

http://shop.hobbyist-inc.com/online/...=4543112523785

The rifle looks pretty good, but the rest is exactly the same as the Graham Custom. I guess I wont be getting this one then. >_>

Last edited by ReverseFate; 2008-02-28 at 01:11.
ReverseFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-28, 04:13   Link #5904
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

I don't have RX-78-2 too . I'm waiting to see some pictures of 2.0 before I decide which version to get
Old 2008-02-28, 06:25   Link #5905
lanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chow View Post
Sorry for being a N00b! I replied to this previously but... I like the shading effects on the body armour and rifle, how did you achieve this effect. If you don't mind me asking! Cheers
Sorry for the late reply, didn't expect anyone to respond :O

The rifle was done by using an undercoat of dark metallic color (dark iron) spray painted on followed by light metal color (aluminum) that's dry brushed on.

The dry brushing is the tricky part where I first get a small sized (#3) paint brush with aluminun paint, then I waste most of the paint on a piece of scrap plastic like a cutting board. Just move the brush over the same area until you see that the paint dries up while preserving a good amount of paint in the brush. Giving time for the paint to dry yet not dry up completely is the key. When the consistency is right, you can use the side of your brush along corners, or just brush lightly and you'll see that you're painting fine lines which resembles a brushed metal look.

This is a close-up photo that illustrates the brushed metal effect.

I also intentionally use a 200 grid sandpaper to give certain parts a rough surface, so that when I do dry brushing, I just end up painting with the side of the paint brush and only the uneven surface get painted with aluminum silver.

As far as paint, I prefer Mr Metal Color from Gunze, but if that isn't availalbe, Testers Metal Color works just as well.

Body armor is much more straight forward. I shade with dark purple first, followed by semi gloss white paint. For the PG Gundam it looked too bright so I ended up using dry brushing with brown and black to give it weathered effect and bring the brightness down. It's the same way I colored my MG Mk-II, except that in the MG I do heavy weathering that the corners actually show dark lines. It's hard to describe, well, the example is below. You can see the dark lines on his shoulder armor.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by lanzer; 2008-02-28 at 06:54.
lanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-28, 06:27   Link #5906
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

I don't have RX-78-2 either

Everybody says that the One Year War version is the best one in terms of design. But what about the fore-mentioned version 2.0? Is it out already or is it planned to be released in the nearest future?
Sir Dearka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-28, 06:49   Link #5907
lanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeesesGlokmah View Post
What I meant was which markers would work the best for the 1/144 scale models, since I believe that the lines would be smaller than 1/100 or 1/60, wouldn't they?

P.S. Nice Exia!
For 1/144 models, you'd probably want the smallest sized marker such as the 0.03mm marker from Deleter. If the lines still look too thick for your liking, switch to using gray color instead of black. Work wonders for me. The sad part is that it's really hard to find them online for some reason. The 0.05mm are easily available. The markers are called "Deleter Neopiko Line-2 0.03mm".

If you can find them, then get grey and black at the same time. Otherwise, it's easy to find 0.03mm black markers such as the ones from Copic:
http://www.jbox.com/PRODUCT/CMC004

Last edited by lanzer; 2008-02-28 at 09:00.
Old 2008-02-28, 07:37   Link #5908
duotiga
Zander Yuusha Kyorugold

Send a message via ICQ to duotiga Send a message via MSN to duotiga
release today

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10066687

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10066675
duotiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-28, 07:43   Link #5909
lanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sword.impulse View Post
How is the Zaku 2.0 anyways? I was considering getting the normal one soon and wondered if it was as awesome as Dalong said it was.
Even the fingers have one joint! Only a few MG class models have this luxury. It pose so well you'll have fun playing around with it like an action figure. I'm not happy with the pink armor for Char's version, but then it makes for better painting with a darker shade of red.
Old 2008-02-28, 08:57   Link #5910
Shiro-Oh!
Previously Unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dearka View Post
I don't have RX-78-2 either
Shame on you! XD

Quote:
]Everybody says that the One Year War version is the best one in terms of design. But what about the fore-mentioned version 2.0? Is it out already or is it planned to be released in the nearest future?
Bandai announced it a few months ago(someone posted it on this forum a few pages back), though we've yet to see a lineart nor a prototype mold of it. But I don't think a 2.0 is necessary; OYW is pretty 2.0-ish enough in my opinion.
Old 2008-02-28, 09:16   Link #5911
MeesesGlokmah

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanzer View Post
For 1/144 models, you'd probably want the smallest sized marker such as the 0.03mm marker from Deleter. If the lines still look too thick for your liking, switch to using gray color instead of black. Work wonders for me. The sad part is that it's really hard to find them online for some reason. The 0.05mm are easily available. The markers are called "Deleter Neopiko Line-2 0.03mm".

If you can find them, then get grey and black at the same time. Otherwise, it's easy to find 0.03mm black markers such as the ones from Copic:
http://www.jbox.com/PRODUCT/CMC004
Thanks for the info! I was looking for markers yesterday, but didn't know what to get. Thanks again!
MeesesGlokmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-28, 16:23   Link #5912
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Ace View Post
Bandai announced it a few months ago(someone posted it on this forum a few pages back), though we've yet to see a lineart nor a prototype mold of it. But I don't think a 2.0 is necessary; OYW is pretty 2.0-ish enough in my opinion.
There's something about 2.0 series... I liked Mk-II so much that I don't know whether buy its MG now or the ver. Ka Crossbone.
Old 2008-02-28, 16:45   Link #5913
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
There's something about 2.0 series... I liked Mk-II so much that I don't know whether buy its MG now or the ver. Ka Crossbone.
ya, the MK-II 2.0 is really nice, so is the zeta 2.0
Astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-28, 16:48   Link #5914
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

To be honest, I prefer Mk-II design over Zeta. Maybe it's the color and the classic look of the dark Titan's version...
Old 2008-02-28, 17:56   Link #5915
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Got myself another Nadleeh just so I can do some......hair extension.

Could post the details if anyone had plans to change the hair later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U<3Anime View Post
Now can you make it do a Final Fusion pose pretty please?

MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-28, 18:05   Link #5916
Terra

I'm interested in knowing how.
Old 2008-02-28, 18:20   Link #5917
Shiro-Oh!
Previously Unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Could post the details if anyone had plans to change the hair later on.
Please do. This might become handy in case the upcoming 1/144 has the same issue with the hair. Thanks. =)

And you went ahead and got yourself a new Nadleeh for that purpose alone? That's hardcore, dude! I salute you! XD
Old 2008-02-28, 21:53   Link #5918
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
To be honest, I prefer Mk-II design over Zeta. Maybe it's the color and the classic look of the dark Titan's version...
i know, i am not sure about other version of Zeta, but the 2.0's leg is bit too stiff in a weird way. MK-II is much better for posing, and i love how they came with action stands...
Astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-28, 21:58   Link #5919
Mister Mister
Redshirt

so my paycheck comes in tomorrow and I think i'll splurge on a Master Grade. I don't have a huge amount to spare, so the high-price ones like the Sazabi aren't viable. so, good forumites, I ask you: whats a good MG kit, preferably Universal Century, thats in the ballpark of $50 dollars?
Mister Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-28, 22:45   Link #5920
Lawton_Anime
graphic designer @ gj.com

Send a message via AIM to Lawton_Anime
Probably may very well get attacked for this, but anyways here I go. I do buy High Grade Gundam models, and yes I do repaint them by hand with enamel paints in various paint schemes, of which if you want to see what can be found to closely resemble my paint schemes, I direct your attention to MechWarrior 4 Vengeance. I do have an airbrush and compressor, however, I rarely even use that for my model railroad diesels and railcars.

List of Gundam models I have bought, and yes once again they are all HG 1/144th and I do paint them. Don't give me lip over your thoughts on 1/144th models or even the fact that many of them are cheap.

Principality of Zeon mobile suits:
MS-06S Char's Zaku
MS-07B Gouf
MSM-04 Acguy
MS-09RII Rick Dom II x2
MS-06FZ Zaku II
MSM-03C Hy-Gogg
MSM-07E Z'Gok
MS-09F/trop Dom Tropfen

Earth Federation/other mobile suits:
RGM-79G Colony/ground x2
RGM-79GS Colony/space x2
RX-77D Mass Production Gun Cannon
RX-78NT1 Alex Gundam
RX-121-1 TR-1 Hazel Custom
MSA-0011 [Ext]

A few of pictures, excuse the kitchen please:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...elhazelGC1.png
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...elhazelGC2.png
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...s/gundam-1.png
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ndamhazel1.png
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ndamhazel2.png

Alas you will not yet see a picture of my Hi-Nu Gundam, its the only Master Grade version I have bought yet, and that was only a week ago.
Lawton_Anime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gundam, gunpla, model kit, toy