AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2009-01-24, 01:36   Link #21
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

"A country isn't made up of its territory or its constitution, it's made up of the people."
- His Highness the 2nd Prince Schneizel el Britannia, Prime Minister of the Holy Britannian Empire from "Making up excuses so I can play the apathy card in China - Vol. I", published atb 2018.

I chat with plenty of the regulars in the main room... We've played mafia and trivia before, Yakumo-Hime is always asking for help with her math homework, zeroj's typo has become a The Meme, some people ask about the episode if they didn't get something, we watch live streams of episodes together on Saturday night, etc. It's not always 24/7 talk, but it's not 24/7 join/part spam either...
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-24, 07:27   Link #22
Navel

Most of those that were in the gg channel during CG episodes release day would have a different opinion on whether IRC can be fun or not.
Navel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-24, 21:59   Link #23
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurorin View Post
And a large body of the leechers whine, beg, and act like they are owed something. Just because that is true doesn't mean I will lump them all together. Your comment shows a lack of unbiased reasoning and an obvious chip on your shoulder. So, who banned you, from where, for what, how long, how many pm's they ignore, did I forget anything?

Last edited by NightWish; 2009-01-26 at 02:40.
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-25, 18:50   Link #24
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

The main difference is: fansubbers don't really lose anything by being arrogant, whereas arrogant leechers destroy subgroups FACT.
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-25, 18:52   Link #25
Mio
TL;DR
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Mio
If you don't think their channels are useful, don't join them. No single fansubber will ask you to join their channel, and no single fansubber will force you to join their channel. Get your episodes wherever you want, it's not the concern of any group/individual in question. If you like to idle in a channel, so be it. If you think channels are lame, why do you join in the first place? You don't HAVE to use their bots, and you can probably meet the same distro bots or other distro bots with the episodes you want in other channels that may or may not be fansub group channels, so once again I ask why do you ASK why people use channels. If they want to it's their choice, you don't have to be part of it.
Mio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-25, 19:22   Link #26
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurorin View Post
---
Doesn't that sound what you guys call 'a troll'
Comments written to purposely rile people?
(Surprised all following just didn't get deleted)
*sigh*
I'd not limit it purely to fansubbers, rather just a random bunch of testosterone (for most part) who gain a little power (OPs) and have to 'flex' their muscles for 'fun' (Because kicking people regardless of rules being broken of not is all they can come up with) but leechers spout out random crap (bored teens), flood channels (trolls) or try to annoy, bug others with insults (more trolls), or jump in everyone's convos imparting their 'words of wisdom' (attention whores).

After all of that, the few sincere minority back away and the arrogant asses are left to play.
(just spent 3 days in the taka channel which is fairly active, but man, i could see why the OPs would lose it somedays, although on their side some are just as bad as some of the leechers for abusing their power, 'just cause' they can do it.)

To have an active channel can be hard work to moderate, since more and more appeal to the 'anon' factor and become asses deliberately even if they are 'decent' people offline. That usually ends up with short tempered OPs and slighted leechers, but the arrogance works both ways.

edit:
@ Dark Shikari:
Quote:
I pointed that out, but my post was deleted for being "useless". (Apparently trolls are more useful than calling out trolls?)
ah i see, well it certainly has seemed to provoke of a few of us fansubbers into replying tho

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by NightWish; 2009-01-26 at 02:39.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-25, 19:24   Link #27
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Doesn't that sound what you guys call 'a troll'
Comments written to purposely rile people?
I pointed that out, but my post was deleted for being "useless". (Apparently trolls are more useful than calling out trolls?)
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 00:15   Link #28
tenkenX6
Undead Fansub TL/TLC
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh View Post
And a large body of the leechers whine, beg, and act like they are owed something. Just because that is true doesn't mean I will lump them all together.
Yeah, in other words, it's not very wise to stereotype, whether it's about fansubbers, leechers, overlords, gnomes, pigeons or whatever.
tenkenX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 07:05   Link #29
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
ah i see, well it certainly has seemed to provoke of a few of us fansubbers into replying tho
He wasn't trolling, he is just ignorant.
Old 2009-01-28, 01:33   Link #30
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
Going back to the topic ...

From what I've seen, most of the people still talking on IRC are regulars who're just keeping in touch with each other. It's a social circle thing. I basically never see people talking about anime on IRC these days, but that's probably a reflection of there being so ridiculously much to choose from. I mean, for someone like me who's lucky to be able to watch maybe an hour or two of the stuff a week these days, there's no way you can make the assumption that I've seen this weeks episode of whatever this season's en-fuego series is. And most of the people I see on IRC on any kind of regular basis are in about the same boat.

In the past, IRC was hands down the best way to get anything. But now with bittorrent in its myriad flavors, ddl sites, youtube and whatnot it's pretty much the worst way for most people to get most things.

When IRC was the best for getting stuff, people went to it to get stuff and there was a big population and usage surge for a couple years, as the whole digisub movement hit and distribution tech struggled to catch up. But now, at least in my perception of it, most of the traffic is social rooms and lingering dcc traffic.

The thing about all that is, in that flood you had a lot of discussion going on as just a side effect of the swells of people rolling in, but in these ebb times you see a lot of different discussion that couldn't withstand the noise of hundreds of people cycling through channels and hitting bots and whatnot. Of the 15 or 20 people I regularly see active on IRC, I know quite a lot about most of them. I'm not talking to a hundred different people, but I'm also not telling a hundred different people that the latest release is pack #15 on SomeBot and please read the topic.

Of course, that's saying nothing of staff rooms. A lot of fansubbers still use IRC as their primary means of collaboration, simply because it's easy, lightweight and exactly as persistent as they want it to be (versus overly-transient chatrooms, overly-direct im's, overly persistent fora, overly-cumbersome collab software).

Then, I wonder how many fansubbers are still using that model, versus others...
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 02:03   Link #31
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by complich8 View Post
Going back to the topic ...

From what I've seen, most of the people still talking on IRC are regulars who're just keeping in touch with each other. It's a social circle thing. I basically never see people talking about anime on IRC these days, but that's probably a reflection of there being so ridiculously much to choose from. I mean, for someone like me who's lucky to be able to watch maybe an hour or two of the stuff a week these days, there's no way you can make the assumption that I've seen this weeks episode of whatever this season's en-fuego series is. And most of the people I see on IRC on any kind of regular basis are in about the same boat.

In the past, IRC was hands down the best way to get anything. But now with bittorrent in its myriad flavors, ddl sites, youtube and whatnot it's pretty much the worst way for most people to get most things.

When IRC was the best for getting stuff, people went to it to get stuff and there was a big population and usage surge for a couple years, as the whole digisub movement hit and distribution tech struggled to catch up. But now, at least in my perception of it, most of the traffic is social rooms and lingering dcc traffic.

The thing about all that is, in that flood you had a lot of discussion going on as just a side effect of the swells of people rolling in, but in these ebb times you see a lot of different discussion that couldn't withstand the noise of hundreds of people cycling through channels and hitting bots and whatnot. Of the 15 or 20 people I regularly see active on IRC, I know quite a lot about most of them. I'm not talking to a hundred different people, but I'm also not telling a hundred different people that the latest release is pack #15 on SomeBot and please read the topic.

Of course, that's saying nothing of staff rooms. A lot of fansubbers still use IRC as their primary means of collaboration, simply because it's easy, lightweight and exactly as persistent as they want it to be (versus overly-transient chatrooms, overly-direct im's, overly persistent fora, overly-cumbersome collab software).

Then, I wonder how many fansubbers are still using that model, versus others...
The majority still use IRC, for English based groups that is. And you are right, it is the regulars who talk. That is pretty much how it has always been imo. Some ppl just join and leech, or join and idle cause it is a "hip" group to hang out in or to hear about when a new release happens. The fact of the matter imo is that channels will be around until fansubbing ends. IRC makes it very easy for staff to communicate without any lag or refreshing, or searching for a topic(forums). Has logging features, and the ability to set up new project channels with ease. Etc.. etc...
Old 2009-02-06, 14:51   Link #32
Kovensky
Timer
*Fansubber

I don't see IRC dying in any way. It is still the *best* way to do text chat on the internet. It can be as private or as public as you want, and collaboration is easy.

MPlayer FTW! Get my win32 build here; now with multithreading
/me is usually idling on #mplayer@chat.freenode.net or #cccp@irc.rizon.net
\SHAMEIMARU/
Kovensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 08:12   Link #33
npcomplete

IRC = leeching or quick PM style msgs
forums or mailing lists = discussion

I've used IRC on and off, not expertly and just for chatting (no dcc or advance usage) since the mid 90's and still find chatting on it difficult because you must respond immediately. It also makes multitasking difficult. Well, any realtime online chat format is difficult for me. Something like twitter would drive me nuts. I like a buffered format where you can track and respond to invidual posts or a combination of posts. It's also available at my workplace but I'd rather just pick up the phone or walk to someone's office and use the whiteboard, etc for anything meaningful.
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 10:06   Link #34
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete View Post
IRC = leeching or quick PM style msgs
forums or mailing lists = discussion

I've used IRC on and off, not expertly and just for chatting (no dcc or advance usage) since the mid 90's and still find chatting on it difficult because you must respond immediately. It also makes multitasking difficult. Well, any realtime online chat format is difficult for me. Something like twitter would drive me nuts. I like a buffered format where you can track and respond to invidual posts or a combination of posts. It's also available at my workplace but I'd rather just pick up the phone or walk to someone's office and use the whiteboard, etc for anything meaningful.
not really true to be honest. I've responded to many chats hrs or days later. Just depends on your buffer and highlight settings. And a discussion is generally a real time thing to begin with. To discuss something means to talk about a certain subject. Why would it need to be in a forum format?
Old 2009-02-07, 10:06   Link #35
TGEN
Far out, man!
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete View Post
...and still find chatting on it difficult because you must respond immediately.
Why do you have to respond immediately? I don't; I sometimes have conversations where hours or even days pass between replies.

Heh getfresh, gmta .
TGEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 04:20   Link #36
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGEN View Post
Why do you have to respond immediately? I don't; I sometimes have conversations where hours or even days pass between replies.

Heh getfresh, gmta .
Cause you pple are weird xD
If you're truly nowhere near the computer, log out of irc (or the chan) already x.x
Me: *sends a PM*
*days past by, receives no reply*
Me: Thank you for replying btw
Dude: Uhh, you sent a PM? I got a few/I didn't catch it/My PC dc'ed so lost messages
(or the best one i hear from guys a lot)
Dude: I forgot, i saw it and meant to get back to you ><;;;
Me: yada yada, excuse excuse, I may as well have sent an email or memo to you then for the time it took.

IRC is a form of instant messaging alike MSN, AIM, YahooIM etc, so in the format of a 'chatroom', it naturally brings about this urge to reply within a quick specified time (ideally from 10secs to a few mins unless someone has the courtesy to let you know 'afk' or 'bbl') in order to have 'real time' communication, whereas in forums and emails, you reply in turn but can wait over some hours or days.
I think fansubbers are a curious bunch with the way most just leave their computers on to 'log' stuff and claim to spend up 30mins to 1hr backreading tons, when people can easily send memos to you if you log off and need to inquire about something that is related to you.

It took a long long time to see names of others on the OP list and get my brain to understand that 'they're no where near their PC probably, but i wanna PM them to ask something cause their name is freaking there!!'

Frustrating, lol.

But yeah, it's more a natural urge to reply and have an active convo on IM, so not so weird if someone feels the 'need' to have to reply fast. Outside of fansubbing, it's probably more common than we realise.
(well, you can take a peek in #nipponsei which is fairly active, people just have random-ass chats in there on a real time basis)

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
Old 2009-02-08, 04:23   Link #37
TGEN
Far out, man!
*Fansubber

Quote:
<a lot>
I guess we have a different way of using the IRC tool, but I have no problems with people not responding right when I want them to. I have more of a problem with people not being online when you want to tell them something, and I don't regard memoserv as a proper alternative as I generally dislike services.
Old 2009-02-08, 04:30   Link #38
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Well at least when they're offline... they're offline. We'd need to find alternative ways to track someone down.
But to have someone "online" and not reply over days, somedays weeks I find pisses me off a hell of a lot faster. Times like that I feel like kicking them off Rizon or something xD
(If you're not gonna be at least semi active, then get the hell off the server! /end rant kinda thing, lol)
But yeah, depends on the ways people use/communicate on IRC, the same could be said for staff-room dynamics.
Some groups will happily chat about everyday life stuff on top of fansubbing and generally have a good time.
Others will just speak to say;
'timing done, script uploaded'
And then bugger off completely... but of course their name is 'there', they just will rarely reply or if it's fairly urgent, you'll still hear nothing for a while.
And so on, zero interaction with your teammates or anything, a morgue is probably more active than some channels i think somedays.

EDIT:
(To post below, i'll just add here)
Glad I'm not an OP? Somedays I think so too, cause I'd prob k/b other ops who 'troll' the leechers by kicking regular peeps for no damn good reason other than 'i was bored, I got power, I'm immature, let's go kick a few peeps who haven't broken any of the rules stated on the website'
- Things like that seriously irk me, I'm told it's 'typical IRC behaviour', I can then turn around and go 'great, I can place you in the 'typical IRC idiot' group then'
Funny how it's usually males aged 18-24 or so who tell me that often... -.-

Last edited by Mystique; 2009-02-08 at 04:41.
Old 2009-02-08, 04:36   Link #39
TGEN
Far out, man!
*Fansubber

Quote:
Times like that I feel like kicking them off Rizon or something xD
(If you're not gonna be at least semi active, then get the hell off the server! /end rant kinda thing, lol)
Am I glad you're not an oper, then .
Old 2009-02-08, 04:48   Link #40
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

Quote:
Funny how it's usually males aged 18-24 or so who tell me that often... -.-
Are you a misandrist?
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote