AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-09-19, 20:29   Link #4701
bereal31

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to get the game to save in the folder that it is installed in, instead of all over the computer like it is now?

Thanks in advance.
Old 2010-09-19, 22:44   Link #4702
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by bereal31 View Post
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to get the game to save in the folder that it is installed in, instead of all over the computer like it is now?

Thanks in advance.
You should have a file called "ons.cfg" in your patch folder. Just add this line to it:
Quote:
save=.
and it'll use the patch folder for saves. (The old folder will still be around though.)

Uncle Mion
Old 2010-09-20, 16:07   Link #4703
bereal31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonozaki Futagotachi View Post
You should have a file called "ons.cfg" in your patch folder. Just add this line to it:

and it'll use the patch folder for saves. (The old folder will still be around though.)

Uncle Mion
No, I do not have that file, this is what I have in [WH]_Umineko_EP6_English_v2.0.zip:

arc.nsa
default.ttf
GPL.txt
Installation-guide.jpg
nscript.dat
Readme Chiru.html
SDL.ddl
Umineku no Naku Kuro Ni Ep6.exe

This is the link from witch hunt site if you want to have a look at it:
http://dl3.novelnews.net/witchhunt/c...ownloadzip.php
Old 2010-09-20, 17:15   Link #4704
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Ah, sorry, I thought you'd used the installer (Windows, right?)

In that case, create a file in the patch folder called "ons.cfg", with the following contents:
Quote:
save=.
And there you go.
...Let me know if that still doesn't work.

Uncle Mion
Old 2010-09-20, 21:04   Link #4705
bereal31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonozaki Futagotachi View Post
Ah, sorry, I thought you'd used the installer (Windows, right?)

In that case, create a file in the patch folder called "ons.cfg", with the following contents:

And there you go.
...Let me know if that still doesn't work.

Uncle Mion
Thanks so much! That worked perfectly!
Old 2010-09-23, 10:36   Link #4706
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Ever since the announcement of the PS3 adaptation, there obviously were a lot of reactions, and notably questions about that and notably about our patches.
Regardless of my answers, it seems a lot of people are still not aware of all the problems regarding this matter, so I will make a digest post to clarify as much as I can.

For the time being (I insist on this emphasis), there is no plan for Witch Hunt to actually work on a PS3 sprite/BG/voice patch for the PC games nor a translation patch for the PS3 adaptation.

The reasons are as follow:

-Piracy:
As you may expect, a patch that would replace all the visual content and add the voice acting will lead to a lot of issues.
Mainly, one would have to hack and extract the original game in order to insert such new content. This is not something we condone, as it is an obvious misuse of property that belongs to Alchemist.
07th Expansion was gracious to permit us to translate Umineko no Naku Koro ni, but that has nothing to do with Alchemist, which obviously bought the rights for the adaptation and hired people to make such product.

Not only we would actually manipulate something that we have no right to use, but it would go against the idea of making a commercial adaptation of such game. Why would anyone buy this PS3 adaptation, if they could simply buy the doujin game and apply that kind of patch?
That is by no mean encouraging such kind of niche market, and no western publisher would be foolish enough to bring it outside of Japan, if the same "result" can be brought in a complete different fashion.

That is the stark difference between translating the original PC game and using portion of the PS3: we aren't borrowing any material from the game, except few edited pictures, action which was permitted to begin with. Aside of that, our patch requires the full game in order to work properly. Meanwhile, such conversion patch would definitely not require that, unless the patch is made like the Realta Nua voice patch for Fate/Stay Night, done by Mirror Moon. And I really doubt that the majority of its readers actually bought the PS2 game (well, I can't expect umineko in any different fashion, can I? *sigh*)

As for the opposite way, even if we were given the permission by 07th Expansion to translate the franchise, that doesn't mean Alchemist doesn't have anything to say about that, if we were to translate their game (which may or may not differ in term of script).
That is the job of a publisher that could potentially buy the rights from Alchemist before doing anything for the western market.

-Technical issue
Currently, there is little to no possibility to actually extract data from a PS3 game blu ray disc. Even if there was, it is arguably not within our field of knowledge, and reasons mentioned above are clear enough regarding our take about such kind of things.

Likewise, the other way around is valid as well: no idea if we can actually make a patch that would simply alter the text of the PS3 game. Theorically it should be possible, but not technically possible for us right now.

-Time efficiency
Not only it isn't a fair use of intellectual property, but it is also going astray from our original objective: delivering 07th Expansion latest franchise in English. It isn't our job, nor our intent to port an adaptation at all.
It would be completely different if it is a proper translation of the game.

Because of all of this, we have no plan, nor any intent to actually work on such kind of project.
However, please note that we are fine if we could potentially help a western publisher for an English release of Umineko no Naku Koro ni ~Majo to Suiri no Rondo~. In fact, we already sent a mail to Alchemist on the 14th september as soon we saw that announcement, but we received no reply as for now.

If we legally can contribute to that PS3 adaptation, we won't see any problem to oblidge, translation wise. That is if, of course, any US or EU publisher would be interested in such adventure.
And this is probably the direst obstacle, since the VN market outside of Japan is extremely niche. Similary to companies such like Mangagamers, it is very likely that a bare minimum of expected sold copies must be met, probably higher than this kind of company, considering the plateform.

I hope our position was clear on that matter.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2010-09-23 at 10:53.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-24, 15:57   Link #4707
MainCharacter
All Evils of the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
However, please note that we are fine if we could potentially help a western publisher for an English release of Umineko no Naku Koro ni ~Majo to Suiri no Rondo~. In fact, we already sent a mail to Alchemist on the 14th september as soon we saw that announcement, but we received no reply as for now.
That's good to hear. There is a massive fan movement for NISA to localize the PS3 game. I really doubt that will ever happen, but I wish them luck in trying and would definitely buy it if it worked. Maybe if NISA knows that you would be willing to support them then they would consider it. Again, I doubt it. But it sure would be nice. I would really like to be able to play it, at least.
MainCharacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-24, 17:17   Link #4708
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

You could let them know that if you think it'd help, I suppose. I know I'd buy it myself.

Heck, I'd buy three.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-24, 22:13   Link #4709
Mirrored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I hope our position was clear on that matter.
Crystal.

I really hope that some western publisher gets the rights to release a PC version with those sprites and that your TL is picked up as a part of it.

DEEN's design is top notch. And your translation is consistently fantastic. Seeing all of that with added VA would be well worth $60+.
Mirrored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-24, 22:25   Link #4710
Number1-Syaoran-Fan
Your's In Gold, Beatrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrored View Post
Crystal.

I really hope that some western publisher gets the rights to release a PC version with those sprites and that your TL is picked up as a part of it.

DEEN's design is top notch. And your translation is consistently fantastic. Seeing all of that with added VA would be well worth $60+.
Actually it looks like the game is going to be close to one hundred dollars D:

"I... I really like your bow."
Number1-Syaoran-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 00:56   Link #4711
Kite22
Wielder of the Bracelet

Send a message via AIM to Kite22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSelfDestruct View Post
That's good to hear. There is a massive fan movement for NISA to localize the PS3 game. I really doubt that will ever happen, but I wish them luck in trying and would definitely buy it if it worked. Maybe if NISA knows that you would be willing to support them then they would consider it. Again, I doubt it. But it sure would be nice. I would really like to be able to play it, at least.
Don't forget about ATLUS! poor ATLUS, everyone seems to be forgetting all about you lately, well I still love you!

Well I've got links in my sig to both companies request forums which both have a topic requesting the game, though ATLUS' is smaller that of course doesn't mean they aren't paying attention!
Kite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 09:20   Link #4712
Orophin

I'm surprised that no one posted this yet. Witch Hunt got interviewed as part of the Capture 2010 project.

You can find the full interview here: http://visualnovelaer.wordpress.com/2010/09/25/999/
Orophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 10:43   Link #4713
CainSonozaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kite22 View Post
Don't forget about ATLUS! poor ATLUS, everyone seems to be forgetting all about you lately, well I still love you!

Well I've got links in my sig to both companies request forums which both have a topic requesting the game, though ATLUS' is smaller that of course doesn't mean they aren't paying attention!
prolly cuz atlus is at 2 pages and NISAs is up to 40 (as of this second i checked them). Personally i think Atlus would make more sense since most of the NIS games are more light hearted and most Atlus games (yeah im talking about you MegaTen) are right up there with murder mystery
Right now the time where magic advents.
I am Beatrice-sama! Ahaha"
CainSonozaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 12:42   Link #4714
Wiressel

Hello everyone.
I don't know if I am in the right place to ask this, but I recently met a problem with umineko episode 4 : the game crash when I try to save. I use the last patch of Witch hunt, and windows vista. I also tried the last onscripter-en, but it did not solve my issue. If someone have a solution, I would be glad to hear it .

Also, thanks to the Witch hunt for all the works accomplished, and good luck for the next episode.
Wiressel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 12:57   Link #4715
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Couple obvious questions:

You're using the episode 1-4 patch and not the Chiru patch, right?

What is the exact point at which it crashes? When you click SAVE in the menu, or when you actually click a box to save in?
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 13:11   Link #4716
Wiressel

Yes, I use the good patch.
The game crash when I click a box. If it can help, I'm still able to load the save that I did after I applied the last patch 1-4 of witch hunt, but the old one that I did before that doesn't work, and show an error message.
Spoiler:

edit : My bad, problem solved, it was the UAC of window vista who was active...

Last edited by Wiressel; 2010-09-25 at 13:39.
Wiressel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 15:07   Link #4717
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orophin View Post
I'm surprised that no one posted this yet. Witch Hunt got interviewed as part of the Capture 2010 project.

You can find the full interview here: http://visualnovelaer.wordpress.com/2010/09/25/999/
I could only send the answers to the interview this morning before leaving for the whole day.
I'm just wondering how come I can still have such details fresh in mind... type of remembering all of the trivial details
Old 2010-09-25, 16:00   Link #4718
Thunder Book
Endless Member

Very nice interview, though I don't quite get what the "secret" was that you guys accidentally spoiled.
Thunder Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 16:05   Link #4719
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

If you are referring to what Chronotrig said about that sentence that happened to be written almost the same way in the anime, then that's the chapel's inscription.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 16:59   Link #4720
Thunder Book
Endless Member

Oh okay. Thanks.
Thunder Book is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation