AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-07-25, 18:58   Link #221
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Overall a good episode. Definitely not easy for people to fully understand another's situation when it is so different. For Komaba, Hachiken's situation might not seem like a big deal and the same for Hachiken. Everything depends on your relative situation. At least by the end both guys pretty much cooled off and understand that neither has had a perfectly easy time of things.

Good call so far by Hachiken's former teacher. Had someone who just looked completely dead and really needed something completely different to shake him out of it. Not exactly an easy call to make sending him to a school like this and thus I'm not too surprised he's called to check up on how that decision worked out . So far, so good.
Old 2013-07-25, 20:51   Link #222
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
I have to admit, I do like the way that this show isn't shirking the realities.
Ep. 3 did skip the bit at the end of the scene in the manga that introduces the piglets. That might have been considered too much for the anime audience.

Last edited by nojay; 2013-07-25 at 20:52. Reason: Busted quote
nojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-26, 16:25   Link #223
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

did they turn the piglets into bacon and the anime decided to skip it?

looks like hachiken has things going on too.

one thing I've noticed was that the author really knew her(?) stuff to be able to do a story like this, the details and all the other tidbits she was throwing out are stuff that you can't read in books, most of these you'll have to learn from first hand experience.

not surprising for somebody who grew up in a farm, but when combined with good storytelling skills, it becomes educational without dumping a lot of information on the viewer.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-26, 20:42   Link #224
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Hachiken continues to be awesome. I had a feeling that he and the Baseball player would go at it at some point.

Stupid VA question: Is that Kimura(Hachi's VA) singing the ED song?
Old 2013-07-27, 00:30   Link #225
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Nope, it's a Japanese Jazz group called Sukima Switch.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-27, 00:31   Link #226
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
did they turn the piglets into bacon and the anime decided to skip it?
Huh? That happens in three months, doesn't it? Somehow I can't see this story skipping so much time.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-27, 10:45   Link #227
whitecloud

hmmm....this maybe old news....but i just found out about it....

NEWS: Casting Held for Film Set in Hokkaido Agricultural High School
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/....php?t=1885935

Live Action adaptation for Gin no Saji (Silver Spoon)...sponsored by The Obihiro Tourism and Convention Bureau
Old 2013-07-27, 14:37   Link #228
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Nope, it's a Japanese Jazz group called Sukima Switch.
Kind of sounded like Kimura.

Anyway, I really like the song.
Old 2013-07-27, 23:49   Link #229
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Huh? That happens in three months, doesn't it? Somehow I can't see this story skipping so much time.
Quote:
Ep. 3 did skip the bit at the end of the scene in the manga that introduces the piglets. That might have been considered too much for the anime audience.
I was referring to this, thinking that showing the piglets "being turned" into bacon might be too much for the anime.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-28, 01:14   Link #230
whitecloud

I would rather see them being turned into suckling pig....yummy...
Old 2013-07-28, 09:35   Link #231
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
I was referring to this, thinking that showing the piglets "being turned" into bacon might be too much for the anime.
Here's the bit from the manga that wasn't shown in the anime (assuming the mods don't chew my ass for posting it since it's the manga, not the anime but I think it's appropriate to compare them and consider the implications and editing decisions the animators are making)...

Spoiler for image comparing manga and anime:

The animators could have added this scene, five or ten seconds or so and I think it would have been very effective but, well... They did include the scene at the vet's surgery at the horse track discussing the killing of animals which is to their credit, but it was a much longer segment.
Old 2013-07-28, 10:38   Link #232
hakazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
Here's the bit from the manga that wasn't shown in the anime (assuming the mods don't chew my ass for posting it since it's the manga, not the anime but I think it's appropriate to compare them and consider the implications and editing decisions the animators are making)...

Spoiler for image comparing manga and anime:

The animators could have added this scene, five or ten seconds or so and I think it would have been very effective but, well... They did include the scene at the vet's surgery at the horse track discussing the killing of animals which is to their credit, but it was a much longer segment.
that's the last page of chapter 7 ?

maybe it will be added in the next episodes.
hakazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-28, 12:08   Link #233
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakazee View Post
that's the last page of chapter 7 ?

maybe it will be added in the next episodes.
It'd the end of that scene, just about. The chapter's last two pages cover the principal receiving a phonecall from Hachiken's old middle-school teacher, the one that recommended him to Yezo High Agricultural School and that bit is at the end of the episode.
Old 2013-07-30, 02:50   Link #234
Dawnstorm

Hm, three episodes in, this show still fails to connect with me. Humour is subjective, and the humour in Silver Spoon doesn't work for me. It feels like a box-ticking exercise in dispelling silly-city-boy conceptions about the country, and it's presented with all the subtlety of a school text book.

Underneath the (to me) obnoxious humour, they seem to building a fairly subtle and potentially interesting coming of age story, and once they tone down the setting introduction and the story takes over, my interest might rise (the conflict between choosing and having it layed out for you this episode was, if not exactly surprsing, at least honest and relatable). I'm mostly staying for the story.

The cast is mostly boring me. I like chicken-farm boy and aspiring vet. If they can tone down the fat jokes, Tamako is a pretty interesting character, too. Hachiken feels like a generic protagonist, to me - more a plot motor than a point of interest - but that may change. Aki has "generic love interest" written all over her, and I'm not yet feeling anything beyond that (it might be the overly obvious wide-eyed character design).

I do like the visual aspect of the farm lands; looks pretty good. Not overly stylised or idyllic. Much better than how the story uses the setting.

This show has potential appeal, but I'm not really feeling it yet. I'll certainly sit out this season, but whether I pick up the next one, depends on how this one will turn out.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-30, 07:01   Link #235
kuromitsu

^I feel pretty much the same. Especially this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
It feels like a box-ticking exercise in dispelling silly-city-boy conceptions about the country, and it's presented with all the subtlety of a school text book.
I guess it's good that there's a popular story that talks about these things, and if it teaches someone something new or helps broadening their horizons that's great. But to me, it just makes me feel that I don't belong to the target demographics. And really, some more subtlety would go a long way.

Also, for some reason I keep having an eerie feeling that I'm watching a de-aged, de-romanced and de-budgeted version of Honey and Clover, with less art and more farm animals. I'm not sure if this helps or not in me appreciating the show (or not appreciating, as the case may be). Anyway, while I don't really care about Hachiken so far, I'm interested in finding out more about his background. That's what keeps me watching, and of course the animals.

By the way, I started watching this because the animals looked cute, and because while I'm not a fan of Arakawa Hiromu, I thought I would appreciate her style more in something like this than in FMA. (I really liked the first FMA anime, but the actual manga and Brotherhood left me ice cold.) But it seems Arakawa and I are just not meant to be. (Which is not good at all, because she's doing the new manga adaptation of Tanaka Yoshiki's Arslan senki, one of my favorite stories. -_- After seeing the promo picture, and then a spoiler picture of Daryun, I still haven't worked up the courage to read the first chapter...)
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-01, 15:41   Link #236
LuxorMG
ItadakiMAKO

That was a good cooking episode, I almost felt like I was watching Shokugeki no Soma or something. Now I want to make pizzas this weekend :/
Old 2013-08-01, 16:01   Link #237
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep4:
Old 2013-08-01, 17:40   Link #238
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxorMG View Post
That was a good cooking episode, I almost felt like I was watching Shokugeki no Soma or something. Now I want to make pizzas this weekend :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Spoiler for Ep4:
I think a lot of us are going to be looking for a good slice of pizza after this.

Overall an enjoyable episode. It goes to show just how much work goes into making something as "simple" as pizza.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-01, 18:08   Link #239
HandofFate

The scope of literally just a high school for farmers is insane.

Does the US have anything of this type? Seems every high school is just a slightly upgraded daycare center nowadays.
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-01, 18:58   Link #240
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
The scope of literally just a high school for farmers is insane.

Does the US have anything of this type? Seems every high school is just a slightly upgraded daycare center nowadays.
We have an agricultural High School in Philadelphia. Although it is definitely not on the scale of this school apparently it is the largest in the US. I remember touring it in middle school when we were deciding what high school to go to.

http://webgui.phila.k12.pa.us/schools/s/saul/

Tags
agriculture, comedy