AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 07 Rating
Perfect 10 26 9.22%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 9 3.19%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 3.90%
7 out of 10 : Good 16 5.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 3.90%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 14 4.96%
4 out of 10 : Poor 9 3.19%
3 out of 10 : Bad 8 2.84%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 11 3.90%
1 out of 10 : Painful 167 59.22%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-23, 18:38   Link #261
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
People tend to overstate the show's importance because they want to believe that it's an anime that changed the world... but it's still a little explosion on a remote corner of a distant moon... or something.
What the hell, relentless.

Anyway, still waiting for the subs...
Old 2009-07-23, 18:42   Link #262
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Three. Years.

Three years with no anime. Two with no new books.

We've all been waiting. Day in, day out. Waiting for more Haruhi.

And they give us this. And tell us nothing. Nothing at all.

Three. Fucking. Years.
Okay, you win. No amount of logic, bursts of optimism, or attempts at understanding the situation rationally can possibly compare with "three fucking years" of pent-up obsessive fanboy frustration. I give.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
What the hell, relentless.
Don't ask me where that analogy came from, because I have no idea...
Old 2009-07-23, 18:45   Link #263
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
As a reality check, it sold well, but not that well. I don't know about "cultural stopping power". People tend to overstate the show's importance because they want to believe that it's an anime that changed the world... but it's still a little explosion on a remote corner of a distant moon... or something. If a Hollywood movie had the sort of returns the Haruhi anime had, it'd be seen as a colossal failure. Same with a major video game, even. It's all a matter of perspective, cost, and scale.
Within the niche of the anime community, it was pretty significant.

Right now it doesn't feel like it even qaulifies as an explosion of any kind. More like a fart.
Old 2009-07-23, 18:45   Link #264
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Okay, you win. No amount of logic, bursts of optimism, or attempts at understanding the situation rationally can possibly compare with "three fucking years" of pent-up obsessive fanboy frustration. I give.
I'm just saying, try to look at it from the perspective of the angry fanboys.

I'm sorry if I offended you.

But, like I said, I don't believe logic or rationality has anything do with this decision. It doesn't make sense from any standpoint I can see.

Anyone here good at any kind of reasoning want to give it a try?
Old 2009-07-23, 18:47   Link #265
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

They are trying to lower people's expectations on Haruhi so they can get us in awe all over again,which was impossible at the start of hte season since the expectations where impossibly high.
Old 2009-07-23, 18:50   Link #266
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Right now it doesn't feel like it even qaulifies as an explosion of any kind. More like a fart.
Well, hey. Every time Haruhi farts, the new fastest moving thread on AnimeSuki Forums results. That's gotta count for something.
Old 2009-07-23, 18:50   Link #267
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator

Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
Obviously Kadokawa / KyoAni trolling is obvious. Yamakan is god!

Now I've learned to check to make sure Endless Eight actually...ends, before wasting time to watch it. Haven't watched it for two weeks lol (this and last week)

Is there any possibility for Ordet / A1-Pictures to animate Haruhi? It's becoming rather obvious that all the real "creativity" or "innovation" that was in the original Haruhi series went with Yamakan. Takemoto and the rest of KyoAni doesn't have a single frigging clue what they are doing - I am going to watch the DVD sales tank (I myself included won't be buying the Endless Eight-packed DVDs for sure)

Obligatory 1/10 rating once again (my third straight 1/10 rating for Haruhi)
Old 2009-07-23, 18:51   Link #268
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
They are trying to lower people's expectations on Haruhi so they can get us in awe all over again,which was impossible at the start of hte season since the expectations where impossibly high.
Not many of the later stories are that awe-inspiring.

Makes SOME sense though. Any other ideas?

(See, progress. If we understand our enemy, we can defeat them.)
Old 2009-07-23, 18:55   Link #269
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
A fanbase with to high of expectations is better than a fan base that has lost interest.
Old 2009-07-23, 19:00   Link #270
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
In complete and utter seriousness, I really think that they may be intentionally trying to kill the anime.

This feels a bit like End of Eva to me, or the Buu Saga in Dragon Ball Z - where one or more of the key people behind the anime are just sick and tired of the anime and/or are massively pissed off with the fans... and hence are sincerely and actively trying to kill the anime and/or piss off the fans.

Quite hilariously, this attempt to kill the anime in Dragon Ball Z's case resulted in the Vegeta/Bulma pairing that was meant to disgust fans but became the most popular shipping in the show.

However, if KyoAni and/or Kadokawa are deliberately trying to kill Haruhi they're much more coolly efficient than that. Honestly, this is now how I want to see them - as pure evil genius', like a great classic anime villain, trying to take down the Haruhi anime.

I prefer that idea to moronic incompetence on Endless Eight Kyon's level...
Old 2009-07-23, 19:05   Link #271
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
In complete and utter seriousness, I really think that they may be intentionally trying to kill the anime.

This feels a bit like End of Eva to me, or the Buu Saga in Dragon Ball Z - where one or more of the key people behind the anime are just sick and tired of the anime and/or are massively pissed off with the fans... and hence are sincerely and actively trying to kill the anime and/or piss off the fans.

Quite hilariously, this attempt to kill the anime in Dragon Ball Z's case resulted in the Vegeta/Bulma pairing that was meant to disgust fans but became the most popular shipping in the show.

However, if KyoAni and/or Kadokawa are deliberately trying to kill Haruhi they're much more coolly efficient than that. Honestly, this is now how I want to see them - as pure evil genius', like a great classic anime villain, trying to take down the Haruhi anime.
That's quite a bit contrived...
Quote:
I prefer that idea to moronic incompetence on Endless Eight Kyon's level...
... but I can understand this
Old 2009-07-23, 19:09   Link #272
Trogdor Jube
Back at it again

Quote:
BRILLIANT!
Kyo ani is god tier trolls.
Old 2009-07-23, 19:12   Link #273
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
This feels a bit like End of Eva to me
But End of Eva, although intentionally a massive troll, was actually really really good.

Endless Eight is... not.

In the end, I think this will be more successful at doing what it was meant to do.

The word "end' appears three times in this post. Four now.
Old 2009-07-23, 19:20   Link #274
mokuseimaru

Quote:
ROFL. Now it's torture, is it?! (Again, I suppose we could go with the "how do you think Yuki feels?!" bit. )

The only reason some people haven't "cracked" (and won't) is because they don't have the same degree of emotional investment in seeing the show continue right away. Rather than be angry about it, they're probably just looking at the show with detached, abstract curiosity/fascination. In other words, you only get mad if you take it personally. Most other people would just stop caring.
I think "they" are eventually going to lose this sense of "detached, abstract curiosity/fascination". And it might not even be appropriate to call this party a "they" since that faction seems to have been nearly whittled down from a plural to singular.
Old 2009-07-23, 19:25   Link #275
Pixelation
Dreamcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
It could be argued that the time, money, work and art for five episodes has been lost.

All this isn't free, and when you see that it took three years for a new season (or whatever you wish to call this) for Haruhi, and that some other franchises are still waiting for their own follow-up (say hello to my avatar), I can understand that each episode wasted is painfully felt for fans. It's an episode that will not be spent into a good story...
I agree, it seems a waste more than anything. More nicely animated episodes of a series isn't a bad thing (even if it's the same one over and over...) However, the resources blown reanimating the same episode repeatedly could have been used to polish future episodes.

As it stands, Endless Eight has delayed more substantial content from being aired, and the wastefullness of its creation will be cited if any future Haruhi episodes are poorly produced or simply never animated at all.

Only if and when Haruhi series is completed animated without a noticable lapse in quality will Endless Eight lose it's stigma (and maybe be appreciated as 'extra episodes'). However, that's a pretty big if and a pretty distant when.

Fortunately, I'm neither a novel reader nor a Haruhi fanatic, so I can bear to wait with mild disappointment until some worthwhile Haruhi is animated. However, I am a fanatic of other things and fully understand the white hot murderous rage felt when your favorite story is being butchered before your eyes.
Old 2009-07-23, 19:30   Link #276
◕‿‿◕

Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
I guess this season is endless eight.

Ah well, I stopped caring a while ago.
Old 2009-07-23, 19:33   Link #277
swtrooper42
Melancholic Swim Captain

Do we all know the dialogue enough to follow along without subtitles? Maybe this is some Japanese trick to teach us all Japanese so that fansubs will no longer be a problem.
Spoiler for Differences and Items of Interest:

Close Curtains, Thwart Snipers
Sameo, Paladin of Legend
Old 2009-07-23, 19:34   Link #278
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Would the people who are upset have rather had no Haruhi at all?

What if the show had just been further delayed instead showing E8s?

Im asking this seriously not trolling.
Old 2009-07-23, 19:36   Link #279
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtrooper42 View Post
4. Haruhi shows jealousy when Kyon gushes over Mikuru's tea.[/SPOILER]
Dere Dere Haruhi

I gotta get the subs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
Would the people who are upset have rather had no Haruhi at all?

What if the show had just been further delayed instead showing E8s?

Im asking this seriously not trolling.
It'd be worse, true.

Of course that doesn't change the current status.
Old 2009-07-23, 19:36   Link #280
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Did anyone notice the flask disappear when they had lunch?

Oh well, no 'Kyon in speedos' this week then

禁則事項です
Closed Thread