AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-11-19, 23:15   Link #621
Azure_Peregrine
Film Student

Send a message via AIM to Azure_Peregrine
Okay, I just watched episode 7 subbed. I'm not gonna go into a long rant right now. Why? Because I need sleep. I'll probably get around to another rant tomorrow. But I wanted to ask something of the people watching this, to see how far-fetched this idea is.

I mentioned in my post in spoilers before that I heard the word "ero" a lot during this episode. Turns out they were saying "iro," which is color in Japanese. It doesn't change the fact that Mizuki still said that Kuze's violin music was "erotic," back in episode 2, so my basic point still stands. But my question is this:

Would it be too absurd to think that the makers of Ef are playing with the fact that "iro" sounds so close to "ero" and, by extension, "eros," to mean that the characters were searching for the drive to live?
Azure_Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 23:53   Link #622
animekritik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure_Peregrine View Post
Okay, I just watched episode 7 subbed. I'm not gonna go into a long rant right now. Why? Because I need sleep. I'll probably get around to another rant tomorrow. But I wanted to ask something of the people watching this, to see how far-fetched this idea is.

I mentioned in my post in spoilers before that I heard the word "ero" a lot during this episode. Turns out they were saying "iro," which is color in Japanese. It doesn't change the fact that Mizuki still said that Kuze's violin music was "erotic," back in episode 2, so my basic point still stands. But my question is this:

Would it be too absurd to think that the makers of Ef are playing with the fact that "iro" sounds so close to "ero" and, by extension, "eros," to mean that the characters were searching for the drive to live?
Well, I know that there IS a connection between iro and ero in Japan. "Iro" means color, but it can also mean sensuality, as in "iroppoi" which means sexy. So it's very likely that SHAFT is using the iro/ero sound similary and the similarity in meaning.
Old 2008-11-20, 13:02   Link #623
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Whenever we talk about Kuze now, i suggest adding a WARUM to the end of the sentence.
Old 2008-11-20, 13:32   Link #624
BDraw

ef is really an awsome show - and I really like all that german in there. Even though I still can't figure out how it's actually related, wether it really makes sense or if it is just a device the creators play with...

I've been writing down those keywords up to now, does someone have those from ep7? "Mut zum Leben und die Zukunft" (01 - 06) would be "Courage to live and the future" so far, if anyones interested.
Assuming the remaining text is done in a similar fashion, I guess 19 would be "die" (not "to die" but "the" in german) and 41 might be "einen", 'cause then we'd have "Glaub an die Liebe" ("Believe in the love", lit.) and "[...]ferner, Verfolge es wie einen Traumen" ("[...]further, pursuit it like a dream", but that further-part depends heavily on the context).

I myself think that this whole text might be a german translation of ebullient future - a rather imprecise one, but whatever... Both texts start in a very similar fashion and share some keywords like "future" or "dream" - even the positions match.
If we think now about the fact that the japanese Version of ebullient future has a slightly different text, this could be a translation from japanese to german.

Anyway, does someone know where I can preorder Yukos ED "Fine" and the OST? Ep7 had some really great songs, but neither Play-Asia nor Amazon or Himeya-Shop have it... And most of these japanese shops don't ship to Europe. <___<

Sorry for any big mistakes, I'm german. x___x
BDraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 14:05   Link #625
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDraw View Post
Anyway, does someone know where I can preorder Yukos ED "Fine" and the OST? Ep7 had some really great songs, but neither Play-Asia nor Amazon or Himeya-Shop have it... And most of these japanese shops don't ship to Europe. <___<
You can get it from cdjapan --- that's the site i've been using for quite a few years.
Old 2008-11-20, 19:07   Link #626
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i'm going to guess that Kuze seeing Mizuki when
Spoiler:
is a good sign for her..
also, i'm much more interested in the YuuxYuuko arc right now. looks like shit's about to go down.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 22:35   Link #627
Cruel
Spiff'd Member

I'm going to have hope for Yuuko to still be alive at the end of Melodies. The episode was pretty epic with Kuze at least.
Cruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 22:45   Link #628
animekritik

I think the Kuze rant (WARUM) was a bit too much coming right after Yuuko's rant and considering that already a reflection of Miyako's 99 messages in the first series.
Old 2008-11-20, 23:15   Link #629
Romancing

Send a message via AIM to Romancing
I haven't been too thrilled with the Kuze/Mizuki this last episode ended up with me being more interested in what's going to happen between them. Next week.. Yuu/Yuuko.. show us what will happen!
Romancing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-21, 00:24   Link #630
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Watching 6 and 7 consecutively was probably not a good plan. That was just draining overall to go through.

Spoiler for Ep7:
Old 2008-11-21, 07:00   Link #631
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I think the only offense was a redundancy between the same kind of psychological outburst. But I think Kuze's one at least makes a bit more sense in his own, cramped psychological confines. It's just that a lot of that came bursting through in a single episode. Just like in the last ep.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-21, 17:05   Link #632
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Think pushing it onto him is extreme though I can at least understand her mindset. But the guy had lost a sister in a horrific way and not surprised he wasn't eager to reform that kind of bond considering how it ended before.
The overdose of drama has dulled my sense of sympathy, so if you'll excuse me: "It's all your fault"? Screw you, Yuuko. You reminded him of his sister, who he watched die in a fire while she cried out to him. So sorry he consequently didn't want you constantly following him around calling him your brother when you were children. Things would have turned out better if he hadn't shut you down, but how was he supposed to know that?

On an unrelated note, that is an awesome looking knife. If it turns out to have a special power, I honestly wouldn't mind. Wrong genre, though.
Old 2008-11-21, 17:06   Link #633
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
The overdose of drama has dulled my sense of sympathy, so if you'll excuse me: "It's all your fault"? Screw you, Yuuko. You reminded him of his sister, who he watched die in a fire while she cried out to him. So sorry he consequently didn't want you constantly following him when you were children. Things would have turned out better if he hadn't shut you down, but how was he supposed to know that?
Yeah, i do think the "It's your fault Yuu" is a bit harsh, but then again that's just the way the drama has been built up, so i've nothing against it.
Old 2008-11-21, 23:57   Link #634
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
The overdose of drama has dulled my sense of sympathy, so if you'll excuse me: "It's all your fault"? Screw you, Yuuko. You reminded him of his sister, who he watched die in a fire while she cried out to him. So sorry he consequently didn't want you constantly following him around calling him your brother when you were children. Things would have turned out better if he hadn't shut you down, but how was he supposed to know that?

On an unrelated note, that is an awesome looking knife. If it turns out to have a special power, I honestly wouldn't mind. Wrong genre, though.
Well can't say I wasn't somewhat feeling like that. Though probably would have put it in less harsh terms. I can sort of see where she was coming from and that level of trauma can definitely make a person misplace their resentment. But at the same time I'm with the side of blaming Yuu is stupid. Of course he didn't want to make a bond like that after seeing his sister die like that. Having the ability to perceive the future would have greatly aided him, but sadly he made a choice that seemed right at the time.

Agree it was one nice looking knife. Figures an artist would want to be killed by a fancy looking weapon .
Old 2008-11-22, 01:11   Link #635
animekritik

One cannot see the future so the only thing to do is act and then deal with the consequences. That goes for Yuu as well as for Yuuko.

I reckon it'll be Yuuko that puts the teacher out of his misery in the end.
Old 2008-11-22, 01:33   Link #636
Zippicus

A lot of Japanese media has this strange transference of guilt thing going on that I just can't really relate to at all. The whole scenario with Yuuko plays right into that too. Yuuko blames Yu, Amamiya taunts Yu about it, and Yu ends up blaming himself. It's almost as if Amamiya has been absolved of all wrongdoing, when it's all his fault in the first place.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-22, 03:36   Link #637
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
It's almost as if Amamiya has been absolved of all wrongdoing, when it's all his fault in the first place.
People like Yuu are more likely to blame themselves before others. He blames himself for a building falling on his sister, after all. Since Amamiya is just a good manipulator, he exploited this trait of Yuu's when they stared each other down.
As for Yuuko's perspective, she didn't know Yuu's sister or what he went through after her death - all she knows is her pain, which could have been avoided completely if Yuu had just let her get her foot in the door. She didn't do anything to deserve being treated the way she had been by him, so any obstacle to her forming a relationship was his responsibility, or his "fault." Her blaming him outright was also her way of chastising him for carrying a cross for his sister all these years, too.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-22, 03:51   Link #638
Zippicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
People like Yuu are more likely to blame themselves before others. He blames himself for a building falling on his sister, after all. Since Amamiya is just a good manipulator, he exploited this trait of Yuu's when they stared each other down.
As for Yuuko's perspective, she didn't know Yuu's sister or what he went through after her death - all she knows is her pain, which could have been avoided completely if Yuu had just let her get her foot in the door. She didn't do anything to deserve being treated the way she had been by him, so any obstacle to her forming a relationship was his responsibility, or his "fault." Her blaming him outright was also her way of chastising him for carrying a cross for his sister all these years, too.
No matter how you look at it it's a case of person A does something bad to person B and person C somehow gets the blame, yet the root of the problem is person A's actions in the first place. Ultimately it all still falls on Amamiya. Had he not done what he did, none of this would be an issue.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-22, 04:15   Link #639
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
A lot of Japanese media has this strange transference of guilt thing going on that I just can't really relate to at all. The whole scenario with Yuuko plays right into that too. Yuuko blames Yu, Amamiya taunts Yu about it, and Yu ends up blaming himself. It's almost as if Amamiya has been absolved of all wrongdoing, when it's all his fault in the first place.
I don't think it's all that strange at all. A lot of rapes and sexual abuse in western nations go unreported due to the same stigma of being admitted as a victim. Many women actually reported feeling guilty for being taken advantage of. It's just that Asian nations are way more conservative about these things and even getting involved in any of it is seen as shameful. Especially when Yuuko made clear to Yuu that she actually may have willfully be stuck with the situation with the knife and all. Though daring someone to kill someone with a knife is actually more like a threat than a proposition.

Like some others have said, I'm pretty sure Amamiya pretty much knows what he's done is inexcusable and it'd be perfectly logical for someone to off him.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-22, 06:43   Link #640
JMvS
Rawrrr!

After watching episode 7, considering the Yuu+Yuuko arc, I wonder if we are gonna get treated to the following "happy ending":

-another Yuu vs Yuuko confrontation, lots of words and tears.
-Yuu is holding the knife to give it back to her.
-Yuuko redirect his knife holding hand to stab herself in the guts. She asks for forgiveness.
-Yuuko dies, Yuu cries.
-later, hearing that Yuuko is dead, Amamiya snaps and set ablaze his house while staying inside, laughing maniacly as the flames engulf him.
-Yuu has moved on.

Tags
drama, romance, shaft