AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-12-10, 00:41   Link #821
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
But that's what hit and runs, or rather car accidents in general, are. You don't see them coming. It would be seriously stupid if they spent a minute or so showing a random unnamed character getting drunk and getting in his car, etc. It's intended to be entirely random and out of nowhere, because it is. When life doesn't want you to be happy.....you don't be happy.
Yes, but the fact that it can happen in real life doesn't mean it'll look good in fiction. In fact, there are many, many ways in which someone can die in real life, that would look simply ridiculous in a fictional setting.

Anyway, I'm calling it forced drama because they had already finished the arc's main issue (which already involved loads, and loads of drama). Adding that scene out of nowhere just to give them a sad end seemed forced (even if something like that can (and does) happen in real life).
Old 2008-12-10, 06:35   Link #822
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

On a lighter note, remember Minami-ke? One of its running gags was that its soap-opera TV show had the demonic, Killer Deus Ex Car™. It's almost become something a bit funny to observe, no matter what the vehicle. It truly is the most fitting definition of a deus ex plot device.

That said, to stick up for the show, it just shows that with Yuuko, there really was no way to go up. Literally. I think the back message is more important than maybe the actual presentation this time around.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-10, 13:45   Link #823
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Despite a minor/major plot device, this was still a strong episode.
Spoiler for ep10:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-10, 14:32   Link #824
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Wakame activates a trap card!
MICHIZURE!

Spoiler for ep10:

Wow... I'm so disappointed in Shaft. It seems they aren't following the events from the novel directly, from what some people said?
Which makes sense, since this development was some grim comedy. I laughed, oh I laughed... Even though I was supposed to be crying... (-_-)
Pretty much said everything I wanted to say...

ep 10
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-10, 19:27   Link #825
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Yes, but the fact that it can happen in real life doesn't mean it'll look good in fiction. In fact, there are many, many ways in which someone can die in real life, that would look simply ridiculous in a fictional setting.
Neither does that mean it doesn't work in anime.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm calling it forced drama because they had already finished the arc's main issue (which already involved loads, and loads of drama). Adding that scene out of nowhere just to give them a sad end seemed forced (even if something like that can (and does) happen in real life).
You're still missing the point. The point being, it is supposed to come from out of nowhere. That's the entire intention. No buildup. You think everybody is fine and safe. Then wham. Like I said, when life doesn't want you to be happy.....you don't be happy. Good fortune just didn't smile on these two, and it sucked. That's the entire point. Not every romance ends happily, sadly enough, whether it be because of a violent rapist, or because some guy mowed you down with his car and ran off.
Old 2008-12-10, 19:51   Link #826
Avisch
Reality Blender

I thought the episode was fine.
But yeah I do see the complaints
Spoiler for episode 10:

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-10, 21:20   Link #827
destiny4everlove

Episode 10
Spoiler for My review of the ep:

Thank you so much for my beautiful avy and my amazing sig, TheEroKing!!!
destiny4everlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-10, 21:35   Link #828
Zippicus

I don't necessarily mind when they have characters die and whatnot. I do somewhat object to the way they're using it though. I mean what exactly is the impact of a character death when said character is still interacting with people. It's like the author wants it both ways and with something generally considered absolute like death that's not a great idea IMO.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-10, 22:08   Link #829
gaoyuanyuan1

what happended to Amamiya sensei? Just being a goner?
gaoyuanyuan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-10, 22:36   Link #830
Cruel
Spiff'd Member

I think we might have something like the H20 ending happen. I just remember Yuu, saying it wasn't over with Yuuko after Kuze went off on Nagi and him a few episodes ago. He's probably in denial. But, I'm sure that Yuuko has the ability to see Yuu whenever she wants I think.

I'd say it's like Yuuko descends from heaven to be the guardian angel over the people she loves.

A note on episode 10. It wasn't as sad of a death for Yuuko as I thought. I figured someone would murder her or she'd commit suicide. It was better that it was a car in my opinion. Yuu can't really go on a revenge thing at least.
Cruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-10, 23:22   Link #831
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

in the first season
Spoiler:

and for ep 10
Spoiler:

wahhhhh

oh and when they were talking about the Angel stairs
Spoiler:
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-10, 23:55   Link #832
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Just watched episode. I hven't played the game a it wasn't out when I wanted it *shakes fist at May 30th*

As for episode 10
Spoiler for episode 10:

I'm going to look at those CG images now >.> Wow ok I would like to tell people what really happens in the game way more emotional then what happened.

Last edited by Leo_Otaku; 2008-12-11 at 00:12.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 07:41   Link #833
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Rewatching this episode was rather painful.

Spoiler for Episode 10:

Last edited by Shiroth; 2008-12-11 at 10:36.
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 12:30   Link #834
Azure_Peregrine
Film Student

Send a message via AIM to Azure_Peregrine
Okay, this one's gonna be a challenge for me, I want to make a post... that isn't multiple pages long. *Need to save all my writing for my exams today*

I thought this episode was brilliant, and thinking back on it now, it makes so much sense from a narrative standpoint.

Spoiler:

It seems an odd comparison, but this episode felt a lot like "The Great Gatsby" to me, just because of how I felt about it. For the record, (if I recall the chapters correctly) I hated the first six chapters of that book, and absolutely adored the last three... And then after those last three, the first six made a lot more sense and felt a lot better.

Oh, also, we've gotta remember that this story is not over. We've still got Kuze and Mizuki to think about, and while the Yuu/Yuuko story has certainly been the more important one in this series, this episode serves to mesh Yuu into the future arc a little bit more... Give him a few more tie-ins and all that stuff. Besides this, we couldn't have this be the most climactic episode of the series with two episodes to go. While episode ten of Memories was fantastic and blew me away, it made the last two episodes look weaker by comparison. Hopefully this episode will serve as a bit of a space to get energy back so it can build to a really stirring ending this time around.

On a final note, Christmas sucks for Yuuko. And now the way she says "Merry Christmas" to Hiro in episode one of Melodies kinda gives me the creeps.... Huh, the characters in Melodies have horrible Christmas memories, while the characters in Memories have good stuff begin on Christmas. I wonder if we'll understand why that theme exists later on, or if it's just because the first season was supposed to represent a new beginning...

EDIT: Oh, right, I forgot to mention. I think people in the old Otowa just run over girls for fun. Seriously, there are never any cars on the street until a female happens to be in the road.

Last edited by Azure_Peregrine; 2008-12-11 at 15:17.
Azure_Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 13:11   Link #835
Beo
where's the snow?

The lack of "things" in a anime is the normal. In most street scenes, there is a almost lack of people with only the main characters being shown. It allows the focus to be only on what is important in that scene; heavy car traffic would also be a distraction and its reduced in the scene.

But -

Viewers have gotten use to this lack of traffic and to all of sudden to be including it would be seen odd. There would have been numerous comments on why they are putting in so much car traffic and conjectures would then start.

So we end up with the car out of no-where.
Beo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 13:47   Link #836
greyhawk
Some dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beo View Post
So we end up with the car out of no-where.
Given that lots of things in this show come out of nowhere, I'm not very surprised.
The only thing is that I've made a terrible mistake. I shouldn't have watched ef melodies on a weekly basis. Now that I know, I'll wait for the last 2 eps to come out, then I'll watch the whole season again. This kind of show deserves it, or rather, it's the only way to really appreciate it.
greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 13:53   Link #837
Kristen
*Author

You know... Every character in the anime has been linked to each other save Miyako. Maybe Miyako's mother was the driver of the car that hit both Chihiro and Yuuko?
Old 2008-12-11, 15:01   Link #838
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
can we mentiwhjat happened in the game? Or would that be game spoilers? Imean it happened in the anime already the game is just a change in things. So no one is really being spoiled...
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 15:12   Link #839
Avisch
Reality Blender

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
in the first season
Spoiler:
You don't remember the VERY END?

Spoiler for ~tale of memories~ end:

There is alittle bit of nice magic.

Quote: