AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2011-06-15, 21:36   Link #1
Raiga
tl;dr

Horizontal lines in DVD playback

I don't know much about the technical side of things but I think this has to do with interlacing. In any case I'm watching from a DVD using Media Player Classic with CCCP, and it looks like this:

(click for bigger picture)

It's not very noticeable at small zoom but when I fullscreen it, it gets a bit distracting. I can live with it, but I was hoping someone knew how to get rid of it altogether?

I tried playing with Filters -> Mpeg-2 options but none of them fully got rid of the effect.
Old 2011-06-17, 05:10   Link #2
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Yes, it's interlacing (or, to use a more technically correct term for this particular case, telecining). Easiest way to get rid of it is to enable some kind of deinterlacing filter, either in your decoder or in your media player. If you're using ffdshow, you can just tick the deinterlacing filter there (choose yadif as your deinterlacing method, if it's available).
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2011-06-18, 14:25   Link #3
Raiga
tl;dr

Thanks for the help. I managed to get ffdshow video decoder working on the DVD and I checked "deinterlacing," (and set it to yadif) but unfortunately it didn't seem to do much. I checked "post-processing" as well and it definitely started to look better, but I'm still getting some interlacing and this odd new issue with subtitles overlapping each other briefly during transitions ( http://i.imgur.com/w03FH.jpg ).
Old 2011-06-19, 12:02   Link #4
Milvus

Isn't this screenshot from kino no tabi DVDs ? Because if it's, the lines are unfortunately intentionnal...
Old 2011-06-19, 15:45   Link #5
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milvus View Post
Isn't this screenshot from kino no tabi DVDs ? Because if it's, the lines are unfortunately intentionnal...
Yes it is, and the lines are supposed to be there the entire episode? Huh. Are the overlapping subtitles an error in the disc, and not the player?
Old 2011-06-20, 10:17   Link #6
Zalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Yes it is, and the lines are supposed to be there the entire episode? Huh. Are the overlapping subtitles an error in the disc, and not the player?
Screenshot of these overlapping subtitles? I don't remember anything like that from watching the DVDs.

Kino's Journey (don't know why people are so averse to such a straightforward translation) does indeed have artificial "scanlines" throughout the entire show. Some of the rips out there tried to filter them out, with predictably disastrous effects.
Old 2011-06-20, 18:56   Link #7
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalis View Post
Screenshot of these overlapping subtitles? I don't remember anything like that from watching the DVDs.

Kino's Journey (don't know why people are so averse to such a straightforward translation) does indeed have artificial "scanlines" throughout the entire show. Some of the rips out there tried to filter them out, with predictably disastrous effects.
I had a screenshot in the previous post of the overlapping subtitles: http://i.imgur.com/w03FH.jpg

If it's supposed to be there then I guess that's that. Oh well.