AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-04-09, 17:08   Link #181
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103
Hmmm, I think the novels are done by Noiji Ito, who did Shakugan no Shana. (looking at the character designs of the novels and the way the eyes are drawn and such) (no, I haven't checked yet, so don't blame me if it has already been pointed out )
Itou Noizi is indeed the illustrator for both light novels, but she's not the author. Suzumiya Haruhi series' author is Tanigawa Nagaru. Shakugan no Shana series' author is Takahashi Yashichirou.

Last edited by Sushi-Y; 2006-04-09 at 18:25.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 17:15   Link #182
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
Itou Noizi is indeed the illustrator for both light novels, but she's not the author. Suzumiya Haruhi series' author is Tanikawa Nagaru. Shakugan no Shana series' author is Takahashi Yashichirou.
Oh bah. >.>

Oh well, this series is more than awesome enough anyway.
Old 2006-04-09, 17:28   Link #183
justsomeguy

Yup, their faces have the Shana thing going on. Guess I'll be watching this for the 12? episodes.
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 17:33   Link #184
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Oh lawd, SOS Dan strikes again. 8)

This show never fails to impress. I am amazed at how much movement they've managed to stick into practically every scene. At first it's just a regular people walking and talking, but then Kyon starts getting into arguments with Haruhi and they manage to show an ungodly amount of mimic and facial expression, but when Haruhi finally starts SOS Dan, why it goes above and beyond the call of duty. Every single frame has something moving.

I am afraid to learn how many key animation shots they used for a single episode.

The montage work is first grade as well. This gets especially apparent in those scenes with Kyon and Haruhi where KyoAni does a constant switching between those two to produce a very startling effect. We never pause on any of their faces but their expessions change every time, producing an amazing scope of emotion from both character.

Wow... just wow!

And the music is so fitting as well (I mean the BGM). And I always feel so weird looking at Haruhi's eyes. The way they've drawn them... you know, it was as if they've used this semitransparent multilayered glass effect to show different hues and colors. I can believe those eyes were actually drawn, not rendered, they look so alive and real (while staying in the anime convention).

Oh, and poor Mikuru... and poor everyone that gets in Haruhi's way when she sets her mind on something. And the hilarity of the "moe scene" and Kyon thinking about what day of the week it is based on Haruhi's haircut. 8)))

The full-frame ending was even better than before. 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 17:52   Link #185
justsomeguy

ZOMG! A Shuffle cameo. What's the other one?
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 18:09   Link #186
Keitarou
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
And the music is so fitting as well (I mean the BGM). And I always feel so weird looking at Haruhi's eyes. The way they've drawn them... you know, it was as if they've used this semitransparent multilayered glass effect to show different hues and colors. I can believe those eyes were actually drawn, not rendered, they look so alive and real (while staying in the anime convention).
Yeah, I really liked the violin piece in the scene when Mikuru was first introduced. And on a few other occassions some nice pieces as well. Gotta agree on the eyes as well, just beautiful. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy
ZOMG! A Shuffle cameo. What's the other one?
Just some art from Nishimata Aoi. The two shots are taken from covers of Comptiq magazine 4 and 11 2005.

Hmm, made two ava gifs for the undressing scene. Didn't turn out as expected, oh well...

And to add all of Haruhi's different hairstyles:

Last edited by Keitarou; 2006-04-09 at 20:10.
Keitarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 19:01   Link #187
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

I am so ridiculously tempted to grab the RAW even though I won't understand a lick of what's going on.
DannoHung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 19:03   Link #188
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Hirano Aya (Haruhi's voice actress) just became an anime goddess. The smoothness of her stridency is amazing.

This show is at a very high level. Subtle and amazing all round.

Great animation:
-- Kyon dancing away from his bike in the opening credits.
-- When Kyon was leaning out the window watching Haruhi at the pool, the way they rocked the camera slightly to represent his body moving. The water. The way Haruhi walked out of the frame while they held the shot instead of following her. The way Kyon leaned out further to watch her walk around the building.
-- The scene at the top of the stairs, and Haruhi running down them.

Other favorite moments:
-- Haruhi going "hmph" at the end of her first conversation with Kyon.
-- The lovely sad look on the girl's face as she ushered the boys out of the room after Haruhi did her thing in class.
-- The way Kyon talked over the last bit of what Haruhi was saying when they were sitting before class, before Itsuki asked Kyon how he got her to talk.
-- The way Mikuru (Gotou Yuuko) asked what the room was. Haruhi locking the door. Haruhi's dry: "Please be quiet." Mikuru's squeaks.

Kyon is a cool guy. No wimpy harem lead. Big kudos to Sugita Tomokazu (Mayama in Honey&Clover, etc.).

The three girls together on the ED are great.

I don't think Haruhi is really tsundere, is she? At least not yet. It's tsun, tsun, tsun and then a flamethrower of joy. No dere there at all.

I don't think there's anything in this post that needs a spoiler. Let me know if there is.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 20:06   Link #189
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoHung
I am so ridiculously tempted to grab the RAW even though I won't understand a lick of what's going on.
I just watched the raw, didn't understand a word of it, and it still made me laugh out loud.

Right here:
Spoiler for a screenshot:

The look of anguish and fear on her face. The tears forever welling up in her eyes. It's almost to good to be true.
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 20:11   Link #190
v1cious

Spoiler:
v1cious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 20:15   Link #191
Keitarou
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1cious
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Keitarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 20:18   Link #192
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1cious
Spoiler:
It'll be explained later when they do the episode of the SOSdan actually making the film.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 21:02   Link #193
multani2842

Nice epsiode, it was really great.
Someone know how much episodes this serie will have ?.

Some gifs i quickly made:

multani2842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 21:04   Link #194
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
-- The lovely sad look on the girl's face as she ushered the boys out of the room after Haruhi did her thing in class.
Asakura Ryouko is her name. She's an... interesting one.
Quote:
-- The way Kyon talked over the last bit of what Haruhi was saying when they were sitting before class, before Itsuki asked Kyon how he got her to talk.
That's not Itsuki, his name is Taniguchi, who went to the same middle school as Haruhi.

Quote:
I don't think Haruhi is really tsundere, is she? At least not yet. It's tsun, tsun, tsun and then a flamethrower of joy. No dere there at all.
That's why I didn't put her straight down as one. Even after all these novel volumes, I have yet to see a dere Haruhi. I can stretch a few to look like she's semi-dere-ing, but that's about it.

But that's okay, Mikuru-chan and Haruhi balances each other out perfectly anyway. I can't wait for the "computer aquisition" scene in the next episode. ^^
Old 2006-04-09, 21:19   Link #195
Black_Sharingan

I'm just curious if there is any kind of romantic entanglement between the characters? I got the impression that Kyon likes Mikuru. Who actually likes who in this series?
Black_Sharingan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 22:06   Link #196
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
It's tsun, tsun, tsun and then a flamethrower of joy.
Thats a great choice of words
Quote:
I can stretch a few to look like she's semi-dere-ing, but that's about it.
Does that include Haruhi cutting her hair after Kyon commenting on her hairstyle(s)?

Man, after watching the 1st ep I was counting the days until the 2nd ep... now I'll have to count the days until the 3rd. I'm even considering getting my hands on the novels... for those who have read them how closely does it seem to be following the novels so far? (yes I know "Episode 00" only comes later in the novels)

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 22:56   Link #197
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by melange
Does that include Haruhi cutting her hair after Kyon commenting on her hairstyle(s)?
No, but that was the first sign that Haruhi might actually care about Kyon's comments.

Quote:
for those who have read them how closely does it seem to be following the novels so far? (yes I know "Episode 00" only comes later in the novels)
Almost to a tee. Almost all the lines were taken straight out from the novel. In fact, this episode was pretty much the first 66 pages (out of 300 pages) of volume 1 in animated form. Mikuru-chan's anime counterpart is 100x better than what my brain was able to imagine from the novel though. ^^ That's why it feels extra great to watch this.

Oh yeah, something like this popped up:

The "Make Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu's ED Hare Hare Yuukai Oricon Number 1 Project"
In other words, BUY THE CD! or something.
Old 2006-04-09, 23:02   Link #198
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Almost to a tee. Almost all the lines were taken straight out from the novel. In fact, this episode was pretty much the first 66 pages (out of 300 pages) of volume 1 in animated form. Mikuru-chan's anime counterpart is 100x better than what my brain was able to imagine from the novel though. ^^ That's why it feels extra great to watch this.
So would you say so far the execution of the anime amplifies the hilarity of the novels?

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 00:46   Link #199
mintyfresh
Altoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sharingan
I'm just curious if there is any kind of romantic entanglement between the characters?
There's definitely hints that that may be where the show might head.

..Though personally, I'd rather they not spend too much time on it -- it probably would pull away from the the show's happy-go-lucky feel.
mintyfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 01:07   Link #200
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
So would you say so far the execution of the anime amplifies the hilarity of the novels?
Amplify? Hmm, I dunno, the jokes are the same, so I can't really say which is "more hilarious" or anything (hilarious enough). But it's true that the anime really reproduced all those scenes from the novel excellently, and from the perspective of us novel readers, it's simply a joy to see the words from the novel brought to life as an animation, especially when it has captured everything so well: from the character traits to the atmosphere to even the minor details that first time anime-watchers may not even realize/notice, but score bit points with the novel-readers. (For example: that Tanabata(七夕) scene at the beginning of the OP)

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen