AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-20, 06:32   Link #61
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Psieye Send a message via MSN to Psieye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
hey, wouldn't it be faster and better if all you translators just get together?

surely, more people working to progress the story, then for loads of people working from the beginning just to catch up with everyone else is just self-defeating.

or im i wrong? :/
No, I actually think there is good reason to have separate styles of the same chapter. However, Cruzz putting his work on the Wiki - that I'm all for. Means he's got less to worry about (i.e. HTML - unless he specifically wants to keep practising this too) and proofreading/editng is faster and easier (as well as the evaluation of our editing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
That is the Harry Potter style that so many people hate. Frankly I got tired of this repetition halfway thru the first novel.

Even we, the native readers, have to guess which character says the line.

Clearification- the SH novels do have them, just not that many.
*comes back from roaming around the bookshop looking at how other novels do it*

Ah, I'd greatly misremembered how most novels do it (never really did focus on how the story and dialogues got written, as much as what they were in the first place).

Yeah, I guess it's not the lack of indicators of who's speaking that was unfamiliar - it's the sheer number of linebreaks. So yeah, a more typical novel's dialogue would be structured like...

Quote:
Originally Posted by example
"Ah there you are," Alpha said. He stopped fiddling with the piles of paper on his desk and swivelled his chair towards the bookshelf behind him. "As I told you the other day, I came across a very interesting article... ah here it is." Alpha brought one thick book among many from his collection and placed it on top of all the paperwork on the desk. "Written by the same author who did this piece." A gesture at his computer screen accompanied his comment.

"Most intriguing..." Beta mused, "and you say this was written before Gamma's work a year ago?"

"I couldn't believe my eyes when I first read the date either."

Beta briefly skimmed over the text, an excited look on his face. "Article #28 in Vol 11... Ok I'll get to work on it later today after I sort this out," Beta said, indicating his paper folder.

"Ah? What could be more important than this?"

"I came by as I was heading towards a meeting to discuss that incident with security three days ago." Alpha looked puzzled. "You know, when that box--"

"Oh oh, that!" Alpha lightly smacked his forehead, "Yes sorry, forgot you were on that council. By all means, don't let me detain you further then." Alpha walked over and opened the door for him.

"Thank you," Beta lightly bowed as he exited. "I'm sure I'll be giving you a call soon."
----------------

On another note, I've done most of Ch 2 now, except the Itsuki appearance moment. With the excuse of "I don't want to spoil myself of the anime's take on this scene", I force myself to take a break from editing to do some work that's been piling up in Real Life ^^;;

Last edited by Psieye; 2006-04-20 at 07:05.
Old 2006-04-20, 07:21   Link #62
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
yay! cruzz is helping out at Baka-tsuki!

woohoo!

someone needs to add him to the translator list!

P.S: ah Wat the hell. somethings you gotta do it yourself.
Old 2006-04-20, 12:21   Link #63
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
hey, wouldn't it be faster and better if all you translators just get together?

surely, more people working to progress the story, then for loads of people working from the beginning just to catch up with everyone else is just self-defeating.

or im i wrong? :/
Faster sure, better is anyone's guess. That aside, I have my own reasons for doing this, and pushing out translations fast is not one of them. Getting involved in a collaborative project would just prove a hindrance to my goals. If someone wants to ask me for advice (as if anyone would want my advice), I don't mind answering, but I'm not going to get myself tied up more than that.

Also, I'm fairly sure you are not me, so try try to refrain from signing me up for random projects.
Old 2006-04-20, 13:39   Link #64
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzz
Faster sure, better is anyone's guess. That aside, I have my own reasons for doing this, and pushing out translations fast is not one of them. Getting involved in a collaborative project would just prove a hindrance to my goals. If someone wants to ask me for advice (as if anyone would want my advice), I don't mind answering, but I'm not going to get myself tied up more than that.

Also, I'm fairly sure you are not me, so try try to refrain from signing me up for random projects.
*nods* Fair enough. Though may the Wiki at least External Link to your works?
Old 2006-04-20, 13:49   Link #65
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psieye
*nods* Fair enough. Though may the Wiki at least External Link to your works?
Oh, you can do whatever you want with my translation, I don't mind at all. As long as someone finds it of use I'm happy. I was mostly referring to Onizuka adding me to the wiki as a translator and his post here.

Quote:
yay! cruzz is helping out at Baka-tsuki!
That was meant to signify that I wasn't too troubled by this development (guess it kinda failed at that. I'll have to be more direct next time), I just think that for the sake of avoiding confusion it would be best not to list me with the people actually working together.
Old 2006-04-20, 14:28   Link #66
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

ok. im sorry for signing you up.
I got alittle bit excited about having more people helping out for a common cause to advance the novels to the greater English speaking community.

I will remove you from the translation area if you want me too, I suppose if you don't want to help out togather then it is your choice and i shouldn't jump to conclusion that everybody want to join in. Very very very very sorry.

Wish we had more translators. wish i can translate.
Old 2006-04-20, 15:20   Link #67
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

I have added a section to the series page, to acknowledge the users who have done there fair share of editing.

I have also addeda comment on the discussion page to discuss the conditions for these people to be on that page, and if you think it is agreeable.

so far there are the following major contributors which i have so far Identified:

* Psieye
* Freak Of Nature
* Adelina
* Ryukaiser
* Baltakatei

I just want to say Thanks guys, for making these already great artcles even better.

Old 2006-04-20, 18:48   Link #68
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Quote:
I have added a section to the series page, to acknowledge the users who have done there fair share of editing.

I have also addeda comment on the discussion page to discuss the conditions for these people to be on that page, and if you think it is agreeable.

so far there are the following major contributors which i have so far Identified:

* Psieye
* Freak Of Nature
* Adelina
* Ryukaiser
* Baltakatei

I just want to say Thanks guys, for making these already great artcles even better.

No prob, though as I said above: I'm going to take a short break until my next exams are over (in 5 days and I've got a looming Big Report deadline coming up too) and will only edit bits that have already been covered by the anime. I'll be sure to continue once I feel it's safe (workload-wise and spoiler-wise) ^^
Old 2006-04-20, 19:08   Link #69
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

ah. i forget, its around this time for undergrads & High school students exam hell.

Well, good luck on your exams! All i get are projects for my undergrad course, it's kinda nostalgic when i think of the last exam i took....
Old 2006-04-20, 21:14   Link #70
velocity7

I currently have raws of volumes 1 through 7 on me... the scanned illustration pages are pretty good. Would it be alright to do editing for this ala TheWaffleHouse style as I usually do so, then post them on the Wiki?
Old 2006-04-20, 21:25   Link #71
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Well if your planning to do any major edits, please inform thelastguardian that you intend to do. but small edits, and added illustrations are fine.

either way thanks for your contribution in advance. All hail the haruhi!
Old 2006-04-20, 23:49   Link #72
velocity7

Okay, I've uploaded the stuff. Took me a while to work with since it's my first time fooling around with MediaWiki; the last Wiki I played with was a Japanese one... enjoy the illustrations. And add captions/translations that I've missed since I'm lazy.

I've also updated the black and white illustrations for chapters 1 through 3. For the time being, I will hold off on uploading others until more chapters are out, as say, *ahem*, the seventh illustration is a bit of a spoiler...

P.S. Also delete the failed uploaded images... I screwed up the filenames.

Last edited by velocity7; 2006-04-21 at 00:11.
Old 2006-04-21, 00:17   Link #73
Thelastguardian

Since no one ever bother to read other stuff. I guess I should clarify a few points when everyone is here.

1. This is very important- As I said in the copyright disclaimers- All the translated works and illustrations will be deleted upon request by copyright holders.I am not suggesting that you guys should back the scripts up regularly if you want. No I didn't.

2. I am sorry to hear that you are not joining Cruzz :/ . But to each he likes...Best wish to you.

3. Just my personal feeling; you don't have to follow it: I think each translator should do their own volume. Why? Because each translator has his own writing style. I do not think it is fair for the readers to experience two or more writing styles in the same volume. Unless the translators can come up with a baseline style, I do not think it is in the readers' best interest to have 3 or more translators working on the same volume at any given time.

4. This is related to the third point. If you look at Mirror Moon (of Tsukihime English game frame), you will see that having more translators is not exactly a good thing. They just finished going thru their script the third time due to inconsistancy in translation.
What we need are strong English editors who can standardize the writing style of the script.

I am going to be a bit formal about the whole project from now on. I really do hope that this becomes a successful pilot project that other people can follow. There are many good light novels out there waiting to be translated...(well, at least my bookshelve does)

Also I don't want to micromanage the effort. Therefore other than the styles/consistancy issue, you guys are free to do whatever you want.

Onizuka you are everywhere in this sub-forum. You must really love SH :^).

Last edited by Thelastguardian; 2006-04-21 at 00:36.
Old 2006-04-21, 00:54   Link #74
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Great work on the translations by the way, keep it up!
Old 2006-04-21, 01:19   Link #75
st40611
..Oh dear.

Being a Chinese myself, just wondering, is there anywhere to find the Chinese version of the novel?

And I am really sorry, but since I am in a fansub group already, I can't help subbing this. Sorry. ><
Old 2006-04-21, 01:27   Link #76
Thelastguardian

Quote:
And I am really sorry, but since I am in a fansub group already, I can't help subbing this. Sorry. ><
We are not subbing. We are translating .

Quote:
Originally Posted by st40611
Being a Chinese myself, just wondering, is there anywhere to find the Chinese version of the novel?
Many major online bookstores have the series listed. However because the series was not as popular as other (Iria No Sora, Shak. no Shana etc. were much more popular), the series got shafted and negelected.

They didn't print a lot of first or second print since they sold slowly. Only the "experienced" aka hardcore fans bought the books.

The publisher promised a third print at the end of March (to match the release of anime, I am sure)- I haven't seen them yet.

Now the anime is released, well let's just say the situation does not look good for you .

So your best bet is to go to your local chinese book store and ask around.
Old 2006-04-21, 06:06   Link #77
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
Since no one ever bother to read other stuff. I guess I should clarify a few points when everyone is here.

1. This is very important- As I said in the copyright disclaimers- All the translated works and illustrations will be deleted upon request by copyright holders.I am not suggesting that you guys should back the scripts up regularly if you want. No I didn't.

2. I am sorry to hear that you are not joining Cruzz :/ . But to each he likes...Best wish to you.

3. Just my personal feeling; you don't have to follow it: I think each translator should do their own volume. Why? Because each translator has his own writing style. I do not think it is fair for the readers to experience two or more writing styles in the same volume. Unless the translators can come up with a baseline style, I do not think it is in the readers' best interest to have 3 or more translators working on the same volume at any given time.

4. This is related to the third point. If you look at Mirror Moon (of Tsukihime English game frame), you will see that having more translators is not exactly a good thing. They just finished going thru their script the third time due to inconsistancy in translation.
What we need are strong English editors who can standardize the writing style of the script.

I am going to be a bit formal about the whole project from now on. I really do hope that this becomes a successful pilot project that other people can follow. There are many good light novels out there waiting to be translated...(well, at least my bookshelve does)

Also I don't want to micromanage the effort. Therefore other than the styles/consistancy issue, you guys are free to do whatever you want.

yes yes. I agree it will be unwise to make readers experience each translators style.

but what you are suggesting is that for readeers to get use to one style in one vloume only to have to switch again for the next volume?
It will be the same thing.
except the volumes will take longer between translations.
Why not compromise?
We agree it will just hamper the translators if they have to change their preferred styles.
So lets simple leave the editors to standardlize all the chapters?
That is what they are for, is it not?
lets the editors worry about making it all fit together and let the translators get on with their jobs with out any baggaged.

But lets have a nice civil proper discussion, to flesh this out, before do anything, it would nice to have some sort of loose guidline yes?

Quote:
Onizuka you are everywhere in this sub-forum. You must really love SH :^).
love? if you mean kicking and screaming, with Haruhi dragging me about with no regards to my health and real work. erm..yeah.. you could call it.....love....

*sigh*

I just wanted to watch a new anime series not join some weird cult.
dammn you Haruhi....dammn yoooou....

Anyway, i will add a link to the novel translation page to my- er I meant the beloved Haruhi anime/manga/novel wiki that has eaten into my life.
edit: second thoughts I shouldn't, it's increasingly being moderated by some of the more wiki-ego types. best to leave it for now.

Last edited by Onizuka-GTO; 2006-04-21 at 08:09.
Old 2006-04-21, 08:34   Link #78
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

I agree with what lastguardian said, too many translators working on the same thing would actually create a lot of inconsistencies and confuse the reader.

Different translators for different volumes each is OK, but there ought to be discussions between translators and editors to keep some of the translated terms consistent. It always irks me when I read a licensed translated manga and discovered it has different standards for translating the same terms, or even names for that matter. (For example's sake, in one volume it may be "Konoha Village", then five volumes later it becomes "Hidden Leaf Village". )
Old 2006-04-21, 08:45   Link #79
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

so...the first thing is to establish which terms should be consistant?

like, keeping names in the "surname forename" format?

Names of events, or beings, like Shinjin, or the Yuki's alien name?

those sorta things?
Old 2006-04-21, 14:10   Link #80
Mazus

Third chapter is coming along quite nicely, Kinny. Although, this one line stood out for me.

Quote:
"N...noooKinny Riddle, h...help~~"

Are you thinking about taking Kyon's place now?

Last edited by Mazus; 2006-04-21 at 14:31.
Closed Thread