AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2011-08-26, 05:21   Link #941
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
...Considering the themes and everything brought on the face in OreImo, I have hard time to consider it as seinen, but your milage may vary.
And that's why we talked about audience, and market. Anime and Eroge/Galge market are no way similar.
You wound me. There, happy?
And I don't think it is that hard to import eroge anyway (I do have Little Busters! EX first press release, and that really didn't take any effort, except paypal abuse). As I said though, too much factors were against Rewrite, even some of those who made me buy it, despite barely playing the trials.
Economic factors are also in the equation, but critics etc are generally not that much of issue, unless it is a true kusoge or kamige.
Initial release date is the major key moment for a product sales in Japan, especially with such hobbies, and having less people interested from the bat hurts -a lot-. This is even more true for console and PC games. This is why marketing (ads, trials etc) are the key point of it. Even if Key had a decent marketing direction, it was hindered by 2 majors issues: ["chuuni" content] [Maeda absent in the party].
I implied that there are factors external to the game (hence writing etc) that certainly contributed a lot for a very discomfort situation before the game was about to be released.
You are the one bringing up the said words yourself.
I didn't use demographics first, I used "audience and context". To which you responded with "demographic", so I felt to oblidge and use the same word.
But even on the demographic level, I really can't put OreImo in +18, and mentions of eroge and some adult themes hardly switch it into "seinen".
It is definitely the same demographic. Oreimo is serialized in Dengeki G's Magazine, the same magazine that has used Rewrite characters for the cover at least half a dozen times. When I flip through those mags, I almost always see some Oreimo as well (I have not seen any Naruto or Bleach by the way. It's pretty specialized in what they market. Seinen, mostly moe anime, and galge/eroge too.)

Sir, I was not worried about you at all, not buying the game. You seem very devoted. Yea... EX was not not that hard to get, mm I think it's about popularity more than anything else. A flagship Key game will definitely get the go from most hobby sites that ship outside Japan I think. Kud Wafter I could not get though without having to use a shipping site... (I really wanted to get Candyheart too without jumping through some loops... so it was nice when Rewrite was everywhere so I could even do some comparison shopping!)

Well the sales dropped, that's a fact. There's stuff out there that wasn't affected by the economy or the disaster, whether one likes it or not. If you choose to think that (Not necessarily you, Klashikari) the economy and situation hurt it's sales dramatically, that's fine, I respect that. Personally just seeing Oreimo have the same sales numbers makes it very hard for me to believe that. It's way too easy to say it's just those things. But... I guess we're in agreement. (How come we suck at communicating with eachother so much? I pretty much agree with everything you say critically about Rewrite.) Chuuni and Maeda missing are issues that I've seen get brought up a lot. Personally Maeda missing doesn't bother me much, I didn't like Rin's route a whole lot and Angel Beats made me "Wah?", after reading Terra though, I for sure miss him writing the main route and general structure of the storyline.

Spoiler for G's Magazine Covers:

Last edited by Ceral; 2011-08-26 at 08:14.
Ceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-26, 08:25   Link #942
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

I wasn't trying to argue this before but...

Now that I think about it there's plenty of things that "Moe anime" like oreimo have in common with galges. Lest you guys forget, Oreimo is based on a middle school girl who is hooked on eroge. Oreimo has tons of easter eggs for the avid eroge/galge player. I know don't how much more crossover you need. Man, I completely forgot what Oreimo was about, you guys are fricken nuts if you don't think there's a hell of a lot of crossover. The G in G's magazine stands for games and gals, there are tons of anime these days that just focus on the "gals". It's really not that different from galges.

The voice actors have a lot of cross overs. The VA for the main heroines of Air/Kanon/Clannad are all also big names in the anime VA business. Just the fact that they can make anime out of visual novels says that there is crossover interest from the audiences. The visual style is proof of crossover. I don't know about you, but all the anime I watch features a cast that consists overwhemlingly of "cute girls" much like the galge I play. Even though I wasn't trying to argue this before, Oreimo, especially has a lot of crossover. Galge about schoolgirls, anime about schoolgirls, flip through a Dengeki G's Magazine, and tell me that Eroge/Galge aren't marketed to the same people as those who watch "GalAni", "Gal Anime", "Moe Anime", or whatever the hell you want to call it.

If your image of anime is Naruto and Bleach, and gory Seinen titles, then I can't blame you, because that's almost the only thing that gets shown outside of Asia on semi-mainstream TV, I know this is especially true in the states. But if you flip through the magazines that advertise for a galge like Rewrite, you almost always find tons of anime, especially of the Oreimo "type". Or even if you just click on all of the most popular downloaded anime on Animesuki, you'll find a ton of anime that is radically different anime, that most would be labeled "Moe", that has a majority of "gals" as the cast. My image of anime is pretty much all the anime that gets advertised in something like Dengeki G's, so I don't see much different between the anime that I watch vs the galge's I play.
Old 2011-08-26, 12:06   Link #943
TJR

Oreimo is definitely aimed at the 18+ male crowd. It's a celebration of otaku subculture, particularly galge, although a TV broadcast does allow for much greater exposure.

My gut feeling is that the otaku market is among the least likely to be affected by the earthquake (if only because its consumers tend to be less concerned about planning ahead). However, we'd need a lot of data on otaku spending before and after the earthquake to know for sure.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-28, 23:32   Link #944
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I read Rewrite had best sales for month of June for PC games (according to PC press). I would love to see a cumulative report on sales though. I also have to say lower sales are due to people missing Maeda. They saw that countless times in his writing efforts and found that they would not be there in this game. Most probably decided it wasn't worth it. Also maybe people aren't buying into them as much. But I would have to say it is because Maeda is MIA. Or unless the genre was known to be vastly different turned heads away too. Who knows unless we could construct a poll on a major site asking why fans didn't buy into it.

I think it is better to compare sales of a visual novel that was sold in the same time frame of this year. Why are we comparing anime titles? PC is a niche market and have smaller sales to DVDs in general. End.

I wonder how Type-Moon's newest game will sell if it comes out 2011.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-29, 00:44   Link #945
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
Why are we comparing anime titles? PC is a niche market and have smaller sales to DVDs in general. End.
The question was whether the earthquake affected the buying habits of galge fans. Anime DVDs were brought up simply because late night shows are catered toward hardcore otaku and are purchased by only a small number of people.

Generally, it's also untrue that PC games sell much less than late night anime. They're both extremely niche, with 10,000 copies often cited as a yardstick for success.

Nevertheless, the markets are vastly different in some sense (i.e. PC game = blind buy + one time purchase, anime DVD = for hardcore collectors predisposed to spending tons of money), so without thorough sales data, we can't necessarily say if the state of one market reflects the other.

Quote:
Also maybe people aren't buying into them as much.
That's definitely the case for the PC game market. Sales have been dropping across the board, so Key isn't the only company that's experiencing a decline.

Maybe there's just some surprise because AIR and Clannad towered above the competition at the time, whereas the numbers for Little Busters! and Rewrite are fairly typical for big hits of their respective years (which isn't abnormal. Following a boom, momentum dies down over time).
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-29, 05:53   Link #946
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Reread some of our recent discussions on Rewrite. John you made a really good point about the thing in Lucia's route that I was really caught up about:

Spoiler for Rewrite:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
Why are we comparing anime titles? PC is a niche market and have smaller sales to DVDs in general.
In a nutshell...

Klashikari said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
There were a tad too many factors that weren't in favor for Rewrites sales sadly (and that's completely unrelated to its writing or story).
I took that as he was blaming the quake and the economy. No one was directly comparing sales of anime titles to galges. I brought up the sales of Oreimo pre and post quake and compared only Oreimo sales to itself, to illustrate that males 18+ were not effected so badly by the quake that they would stop spending money on their hobbies. I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceral View Post
Oreimo and Rewrite would be aimed at the same demographic, young adult males. If that same demographic is willing to fork over the same amount of money pre-quake vs post-quake for Oreimo, it doesn't seem far fetched to me to think that if they really wanted to, that the great majority of that demographic (I'm thinking something like 90%) could fork over the same amount of money for Rewrite too.

It's still the same demographic, are you trying to tell me Eroge/galge players are more stingy than Anime BD watchers after the quake?
How that was misconstrued to me directly comparing anime to galge sales, I don't know. I'm guessing people only read what I quote and not what I write.(I'm thinking I need to stop posting here.)

Back to the point at hand, are the Oreimo sales enough proof to say the quake didn't affect the sales? No. But it is enough proof to show that the quake isn't the only reason that sales are down IMO.

This whole thing was a misunderstanding though, as Klashikari later cleared up that he did believe there were other factors outside of the quake and economy that impacted sales and I had misread his initial post wrong. (In my defense though, I think it is as easy to misunderstand Klashikari's post as it is to understand mine if you read them in their entirety .)

Last edited by Ceral; 2011-08-29 at 08:57. Reason: To avoid another double post in such a short time
Old 2011-09-02, 06:30   Link #947
Balzac
Assistant Professor

I do believe at some level that sales don't matter to the overall impression of a game (or book, or whatever media). At least, that's what I think. It wasn't bad, and if sales proved that many Japanese (the intended audience) didn't like it, then that's that. Niche is niche.

How the sales factor into their next project is not something I would speculate hard about. If they try a different direction again, or return to their roots, well, I'll be there to try it out. Personally, Rewrite is so last season already for me... Although Journey from the soundtrack (finally is in my office desktop's shuffle list, and so for me the game actually made a significant enough impact to treasure. (I won't think about the fact that it was a Maeda composition I finally picked out)

On another note, Klash, I just noticed your avatar is now of that maid girl from Noble Works, I hate to say it, but she was the worst, in my opinion, of the five (or six, but obligatory extra H scene don't count)in terms of novelty of story. Wouldn't Akari have been better?
Old 2011-09-03, 12:07   Link #948
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzac View Post
I do believe at some level that sales don't matter to the overall impression of a game (or book, or whatever media). At least, that's what I think. It wasn't bad, and if sales proved that many Japanese (the intended audience) didn't like it, then that's that. Niche is niche.

How the sales factor into their next project is not something I would speculate hard about. If they try a different direction again, or return to their roots, well, I'll be there to try it out. Personally, Rewrite is so last season already for me... Although Journey from the soundtrack (finally is in my office desktop's shuffle list, and so for me the game actually made a significant enough impact to treasure. (I won't think about the fact that it was a Maeda composition I finally picked out)
Sales have a huge impact regarding what the company may do or not regarding the franchise or genre. Even though Key certainly has a solid fanbase, even they are affected by such factor.
Quote:
On another note, Klash, I just noticed your avatar is now of that maid girl from Noble Works, I hate to say it, but she was the worst, in my opinion, of the five (or six, but obligatory extra H scene don't count)in terms of novelty of story. Wouldn't Akari have been better?
I personally don't care about the route of the character I appreciate when it is about an avatar/signature, especially that novelty of story is hardly the selling factor of NW which has a very poor drama for every heroines anyway. Your mileage vary anyway, but she was the character I appreciate the most. Pretty much the same way how I felt about Lucia in Rewrite.
Old 2011-09-04, 23:27   Link #949
ClannadDango
A novice to anime

Does anyone know the engish title for this song?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtqYF...el_video_title
Old 2011-09-04, 23:55   Link #950
etalocohc84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClannadDango View Post
Does anyone know the engish title for this song?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtqYF...el_video_title
I think it's called "Bud" (Mebuki), as in the specific part of a plant.
etalocohc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-05, 01:57   Link #951
ClannadDango
A novice to anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by etalocohc84 View Post
I think it's called "Bud" (Mebuki), as in the specific part of a plant.
Oh thank you! ^^
Old 2011-09-05, 04:02   Link #952
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

My thoughts so far:

Spoiler for Lucia, Kotori routes:
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-17, 19:40   Link #953
Balzac
Assistant Professor

Quote:
I personally don't care about the route of the character I appreciate when it is about an avatar/signature, especially that novelty of story is hardly the selling factor of NW which has a very poor drama for every heroines anyway. Your mileage vary anyway, but she was the character I appreciate the most. Pretty much the same way how I felt about Lucia in Rewrite.
Yeah, NW did have poor route presentation. It also didn't seem too different from tenshin, I was hoping for another genre shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKey View Post
My thoughts so far:

Spoiler for Lucia, Kotori routes:
Well, believe me, the scale goes pretty far, so it's best to stop and take a break so you don't get overwhelmed with details. Don't make the same mistake I did.

I'm back to lurking, until related news comes out. Still will be checking this thread from time to time.
Old 2011-09-18, 05:04   Link #954
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzac View Post
Yeah, NW did have poor route presentation. It also didn't seem too different from tenshin, I was hoping for another genre shift.

Well, believe me, the scale goes pretty far, so it's best to stop and take a break so you don't get overwhelmed with details. Don't make the same mistake I did.

I'm back to lurking, until related news comes out. Still will be checking this thread from time to time.
Yeah, finished Lucia, now delving into Chihaya's route

Spoiler for Lucia route end:
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-19, 13:41   Link #955
crimsonheroking

I personally liked the rewrite when i treated as a novel not done by Maeda. The overall way it turned out wasnt too different from what I expected in terms of how each author developed the plot for each of the heroines.(I could easily predict the division of the characters when even slightly into the route~especially for Lucia, Chihaya, and Akane) The main comment I have on this is that it seems like a novel that actual needs to be read carefully and pondered about. It obviously isnt as raw or simplistic in its appeal in comparison to Key's previous powerful pieces, but it still holds plenty of value in my opinion. Speed reading in 12 hours or skipping a story line or such seems to really detract from it in my opinion. You really have to read it slowly(i spent like a week per each arc....and i mean a lot of time per day for it...around 2-14 hours a day, averaging around ~6-7ish per day?). I tried to pay attention to the various intricate parts of the overall world and had to reread parts that had just happened along with the parts from longer ago(along with visiting minor choice differences-light the slight changes from reinforcing different parts which were practically negligible other than some line changes). I felt like this was more along the lines of a ryukishi07 novel in the sense that you had to think a lot in it to really enjoy it. (not to say I didn't enjoy some of the nice emotional scenes) Skipping(or skimming) over the scenes that describe the world though, in my opinion, really cheapens your view of how the world is setup(setting), the plot, and even the heroines story lines. I also believe that you have to be more reflective of the novel as if you could be in it in a sense. Another way to say it is think about some of the main problems in retrospect to the world. The clearest example is that is the with the (no duh) environmental problems. Thinking of the story in retrospect to these seems to bring out lots of interesting things you can assume about the plot on top of what is presented to create a more complete vision of the story. (on top of being meta brain food? or something like that)

This isnt to say that I love the novel to the extent of previous key titles. I was expecting something a bit more....consistent than the very divided result. It did though, in my opinion do plenty better in some aspects and worse in others compared to the previous key novels.

The main complaints though about the divided storylines i've seen here (and dont just think that people dont completely read the posts....as I did for a few hours....) is mainly on questioning ambiguous parts of the plot that are either meant to be at that level(like some previous key novels and many others) and others that seem to be easy to reduce to some basic possible explanations through reasoning of major, minor, and very minor details.

Ok now time to respond to the overly active Lucia chat~
......actually...... ill leave that to next time

Edit: actually i may just be overthinking this because this VN allows it more than most other VNs I have read. Who knows?

Last edited by crimsonheroking; 2011-09-19 at 13:57. Reason: addition
crimsonheroking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 07:36   Link #956
matrixhazard

Greetings guy!! After follow this topic for 3 months after game released, this should be my first reply here.

BTW, Anyone who have an idea what is this??

Spoiler for Rewrite.. Harvest Festa??:
matrixhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 10:57   Link #957
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Fan disc announced... that was much quicker than I thought.
Old 2011-09-28, 16:40   Link #958
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

They need to keep the money pouring in for their "announced last game" Klashikari it's probably gonna be extremely short and somewhat like Little Busters EX.
Old 2011-09-29, 19:33   Link #959
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

YUSSS!!!

Title: Rewrite Harvest festa.!
Genre: Love Adventure Game
Same Staff(For what's listed on the site) . All ages. Planned for 2012 release.

Teaser Site: http://key.visualarts.gr.jp/rewrite_hf/index.html
Old 2011-09-29, 20:40   Link #960
Rikimtasu

Send a message via MSN to Rikimtasu
Mean while a main route chinese translation patch have released:
Spoiler for chinese:

Tags
bishoujo, hinoue itaru, key, maeda jun, romeo tanaka, ryukishi07, visual novel