Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2017-12-06, 21:26   Link #21
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
And who in the nine hells is mad enough to smuggle a Rex in a trailer? Was the San Diego incident retconned or is it an Alzheimer's-goes-worldwide movie? XD
People are dumb enough to do dumber things than that in real life. Don’t expect movie people to be smarter.
Though at least judging from the trailer, it seems to have gone rather well.
Old 2017-12-06, 22:32   Link #22
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Did I just spy with my little eye a Carnotaurus Sastrei head? A nod to the LW novel?
I saw it too. But somehow, I'm not that hyped watching Carno in JW movie. Why? Coz Carnos already got their spotlights in Disney's Dinosaur movie (albeit probably with bloated size) and the chameleon ability was already used for the I-Rex. I'd rather have Cerato again who only got a cameo role in JP3 . IIRC the last time I see a prominently-featured Cerato it was in Asylum's dreadful B-movie Age of Dinosaurs:
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Quote:
And who in the nine hells is mad enough to smuggle a Rex in a trailer? Was the San Diego incident retconned or is it an Alzheimer's-goes-worldwide movie? XD
To be fair, the T-Rex got loose in JP2 only coz the people on board the ship were dead and there was no one to monitor T-Rex sedation at the time before he woke up.
Old 2017-12-07, 17:46   Link #23
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Final teaser before the actual trailer:
YouTube
Old 2017-12-07, 21:09   Link #24
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

YouTube

Too tired for first impressions right now. Gotta get me some sleep first.
Old 2017-12-07, 22:06   Link #25
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I didn't have high expectation for JW1 and was only hoping for cool scenes with dinosaurs. The movie delivered. I had a lot of fun with it. I guess I'm gonna continue that tradition for JW2. Hell, we got volcano-action along with dino-action. That'll at least guarantee a good time at the theater (as long as it's not directed by Michael Bay).
Old 2017-12-07, 22:14   Link #26
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
It looks alright. Not getting the "holy crap!" feeling from it, but seems like a solid setup. A bit of a rescue mission operation that may likely go wrong. A race against time while trying to save some less than friendly animals. Though hey will be nice to see more of Blue and the good old T-Rex.
Old 2017-12-08, 07:42   Link #27
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, I'm awake now and rested.

I have the feeling the eruption is actually a stepping stone for a third movie and an excuse for an actual dinosaur outbreak. It might actually be an indirect nod to the original novel's ending, wherein small groups of dinosaurs are confirmed to have migrated off Isla Nublar and are travelling deep into the South American jungle. Thing is, with the premises showcased in the trailer, I even think we won't see much of Henry Wu and his little hybrid venture, aside maybe from a passing spoken reference or two.

Aside from the Carnotaurus (somehow I keep mixing Ceratosaurus and Carnotaurus today...different horns, you dummy! ), we might have also have an Allosaurus (1:51), judging by the lacrymal bone horns jutting out in front of the eye sockets area; I first thought it was something like an Albertosaurus or even a Daspletosaurus, but the horns are unmistakable. There are rumors of another hybrid, tentatively called Indoraptor, skulking around Isla Nublar, but that dinosaur in the lava-dripping scene is more reminiscent of a Baryonyx...and it's quite the right size, too.

I additionally hope the writers are not going to pass off (i.e. name it) that volcanic smoke stuff as pyroclastic flows, because it pretty much means we just watched Owen Grady die in the trailer. Not only are pyroclasts incandescent (1000°C), they also move downhill so fast (upwards of 700kph!) they produce their own precursor shockwave that literally (and instantly) squeezes the air out of your lungs before the said rolling, burning clouds can touch you and roast you to a crisp. The pyroclastic cloud scene in Dante's Peak is actually a good depiction of the violence behind a PF.

EDIT: little pet peeve - no one bothered conducting a geological study (and the mandatory risk assessment for the insurance companies) and tell Masrani his park was near an active volcano? Note that the original map for Isla Nublar does show volcanic steam vents on the southern part of the island, so the idea of an eruption doesn't exactly burst out of nowhere. The Lost World novel also confirms that it's a volcanically active area judging by the geothermal energy that kept the Isla Sorna powerplant alive, even years after Site B's abandonment.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2017-12-08 at 08:10.
Renegade334 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-08, 13:25   Link #28
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
The trailer is actually evocative due to the possibilities it presents for bringing the dinosaurs off the island as a conservation method, but grappling with whether "extinct" species should remain as such. It's an ethics question ostensibly unique to the series that is more captivating than the desperation to create a deliberate monster unlike any scientifically feasible projection. The lived in aesthetic also gives the advertisement an authenticity absent from Jurassic World
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-05, 05:31   Link #29
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

YouTube

Well, wow. Some of these scenes are fully steeped in the horror genre. And again, how the F_ did Grady survive that pyroclastic cloud? He should have been roasted alive.

And so that's not necessarily a Baryonyx Walkeri but another hybrid running loose on the island?
Old 2018-02-05, 08:38   Link #30
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Ummm....... the new trailer reminds me a lot of JP2. I hope that's not the case coz JP2 is the least fun of all JP movies.
Old 2018-02-06, 00:01   Link #31
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
My personal opinion? This trailer is MUCH better than the original. Then again, the appeal of Jurassic Park/World has always been the horror aspect- basically, it's a horror movie for kids, and this trailer brought out that effect fully.

... granted, that opening scene of the trailer creeped me the hell out.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-06, 19:00   Link #32
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Speaking of that first scene...for a Dromaeosaurid (as I assume it is one, seeing that its foot had that trademark falciform second toe), it surely does have a long arm. I mean, judging by skeletons, I don't think even the Utahraptor Ostrommaysorum and Velociraptor Mongoliensis were able to extend their hands that far in front of their own snouts (unless the head was kinda cocked back, which wouldn't make sense). If so, their arms would be dangling so low they'd practically be quadrupeds.

Sure, it's done to maximize the horror element, but it feels rather unrealistic.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2018-02-07 at 08:19. Reason: Grammar and missing verb
Renegade334 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-07, 09:11   Link #33
Marina2

Quote:
Speaking of that first scene...for a Dromaeosaurid (as I assume it is one, seeing that its foot had that trademark falciform second toe), it surely does have a long arm. I mean, judging by skeletons, I don't think even the Utahraptor Ostrommaysorum and Velociraptor Mongoliensis were able to extend their hands that far in front of their own snouts (unless the head was kinda cocked back, which wouldn't make sense). If so, their arms would be dangling so low they'd practically be quadrupeds.

Sure, it's done to maximize the horror element, but it feels rather unrealistic.
I think that is a new genetically engineered dinosaur. Name is Indoraptor.
Old 2018-04-18, 16:14   Link #34
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Final trailer:

YouTube

...Sheesh, Bayona, why don't you include the bloopers and the making-of in the trailer while you're at it? Cut back on the spoilers, puh-lease.
Old 2018-05-16, 11:23   Link #35
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

YouTube
Old 2018-05-22, 04:50   Link #36
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

YouTube

Good to know that they're still building animatronics and other practical effects instead of relying on CGI only.
Old 2018-06-03, 09:03   Link #37
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Just wanna post a video before the movie opens:

YouTube
Old 2018-06-06, 01:57   Link #38
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

DINOSAURS, ASSEMBLE!

Christ Pratt: "Claire, I don't feel so good anymore." (T︵T)
Old 2018-06-06, 10:07   Link #39
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

So.....I just saw the movie and I don't know if I want to talk a lot about it or not before others watched it. I'll just put it like this (spoiler free, I guess):

Fallen Kingdom (FK) is The Lost World (TLW) of this second (would be) JP trilogy. It's gloomier, it's darker, it's less fun and it can be a bit of a slog compared to JW. FK's story quality is more or less the same as JW for better or worse. For me, I like the first half more than the second half.

Here are some things to note before you go to the cinema to watch FK:
  • Expect TLW-type of movie. Expecting more will only disappoint you. Expecting less will probably get you some pleasant surprises.
  • The dino-action in this movie is varied and sporadic, but the main dino-stars are Blue, Indoraptor and a little bit of a certain boneheaded dinosaur.
  • The scale and spectacle is somewhat shrunk compared to previous movies (yes, even compared to JP3). The rescue mission in the first half happened rather fast and doesn't really make us feel the scale of the island. After the island mission, the movie turns claustrophobic. If you've seen the movie The Relic, you'd know what to expect.
  • The ending of FK will certainly force future JP movies to take certain/different paths away from the formulaic "visiting dinosaur island" that we've seen in 5 JP movies now. There's no turning back after this (which kinda what Crichton novels did with the story IIRC).
Old 2018-06-06, 15:43   Link #40
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
The ending of FK will certainly force future JP movies to take certain/different paths away from the formulaic "visiting dinosaur island" that we've seen in 5 JP movies now. There's no turning back after this (which kinda what Crichton novels did with the story IIRC).
So in other words,
Spoiler for another big summer film: