AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-20, 07:47   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Favourite Lucky Star Quotes

A thread for your favorite quotes from Lucky Star. Please don't type out the entire script from an episode quote your favourite part of any scene or episode.

This thread will most likely contain spoilers! If you are posting a quote from a recent episode then please use spoiler tags. (hint, [spoiler]text[/spoiler]).
Old 2007-04-20, 08:37   Link #2
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Ep01:
Spoiler for tidiness:

Ep02:
Spoiler for tidiness:

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-20, 09:23   Link #3
Ffenix Rising
*Graphic Designer

It's not so much favorite lines, more like my favorite scene.

Ep01:

Spoiler for Coming Out of The Nurse's Office Scene:
Old 2007-04-20, 11:00   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ya'll be aware that some of these quotes are .... "not so literal translation though they're in the spirit" courtesy of a.f.k. and others. At least a couple of quotes have substantially different translations depending on which sub is used (and I'd probably come up with yet another).
Old 2007-04-20, 11:11   Link #5
Ffenix Rising
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Ya'll be aware that some of these quotes are .... "not so literal translation though they're in the spirit" courtesy of a.f.k. and others. At least a couple of quotes have substantially different translations depending on which sub is used (and I'd probably come up with yet another).
Yes of course, AFK's translation may seem loose, but it's the only fansub I watch. Besides, my real favorite line in the Nurse's Office scene is Konata's. Her despondent look and those few words made me laugh-out-loud... I don't know why, but it does.
Old 2007-04-20, 11:31   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Kona's translated quote is about as close as you can get to the original japanese "word" she used and the form she used. It was great.
A.F.K. does a great job of what I'll call "localization" --- carrying the spirit into what an equivalent english-speaking character might say. I just happen to personally prefer things be left as "original to the culture" as possible (especially when the concepts don't directly mesh --- there's a reason we import words like "gestalt" or "tsunami" ... for that matter English is a grand pastiche of other languages -- one reason it is so painful for outsiders to learn well).
Old 2007-04-20, 12:06   Link #7
Ffenix Rising
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
A.F.K. does a great job of what I'll call "localization" --- carrying the spirit into what an equivalent english-speaking character might say. I just happen to personally prefer things be left as "original to the culture" as possible (especially when the concepts don't directly mesh --- there's a reason we import words like "gestalt" or "tsunami" ... for that matter English is a grand pastiche of other languages -- one reason it is so painful for outsiders to learn well).
I agree with you, but AFK's translation on all their works, have been close to the Japanese culture as they can given the limitations of the English language.

Unless they suddenly translate "Soba and udon" into "Laurel and Hardy" (I've seen translations like this in Japanese films in film festivals), I feel they have been pretty consistent and not too liberal with the translations. It's as if the translations are from a learn how to read/speak/write Japanese textbooks.

Besides, I also like their work, because their typesetting is very excellent.
Old 2007-04-20, 12:11   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I was much happier with their ep 2 translation (though "staring contest" seemed to fit less well than "facemaking contest"). And yes, their typesetting, font choices, and handling of dialog overlap is quite sweet.

ep 2 quote..... "I got a loincloth" .... made me spit my drink...
Old 2007-04-20, 13:22   Link #9
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
A thread for your favorite quotes from Lucky Star. Please don't type out the entire script from an episode quote your favourite part of any scene or episode.

This thread will most likely contain spoilers! If you are posting a quote from a recent episode then please use spoiler tags. (hint, [spoiler]text[/spoiler]).
There aren't likely to be much spoilers Ojisan. The quotes will mostly pertain to jokes and stuff I would imagine given the nature of the series. It doesn't really have any links between episodes like most anime.

Episode 1:

Spoiler:

Episode 2:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-20 at 23:59.
Old 2007-04-20, 15:33   Link #10
~Tsukuyomi
[- Caramelldansen Spam -]

Quote:
I was much happier with their ep 2 translation (though "staring contest" seemed to fit less well than "facemaking contest"). And yes, their typesetting, font choices, and handling of dialog overlap is quite sweet.

Yes, that too made me spit my drink... Now who would ever be proud in retrieving that item???

Ep 2 Quote:

Konata: A great person once said...
Konata: that operating a UFO catcher is like opening a savings accounts.
Kagami: Smart guy...
Old 2007-04-20, 15:56   Link #11
Ffenix Rising
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Is it me or does AFK's translators has really sensitive ears? I mean, when I saw the original raws, I couldn't even make out what Konata was saying while playing since Tsukasa's voice is a little louder. Konata's mumbling voice is extremely subtle.
Old 2007-04-20, 16:08   Link #12
Sun-Ku

maybe that was in the manga? Dunno.
Old 2007-04-20, 16:18   Link #13
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffenix Rising View Post
Is it me or does AFK's translators has really sensitive ears? I mean, when I saw the original raws, I couldn't even make out what Konata was saying while playing since Tsukasa's voice is a little louder. Konata's mumbling voice is extremely subtle.
The first time I watched it, I didn't realize Konata was even mumbling at all.

I really like LC's translation of what Akira-sama says at one point in episode 2, "Even monkeys know how to just read from the script." That made me LOL.
Old 2007-04-20, 16:21   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

For some reason both the audio and video quality of the a.f.k. release seemed clearer.... maybe its a source issue???? Only the subbers know for sure
Old 2007-04-20, 17:43   Link #15
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
minoru ~ "how much is an idol payed?"
akira sama ~ "..." (her face is what makes the joke work so dam well XD)

and yea i would like the quote the entire OP song as well XD

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-04-20, 19:03   Link #16
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
From episode 2, "Swisshswisshswishshhswishshhenssu" (can't remember what was the exact translation of this in the afk version, it's the quote from Kona-chan in supermarket clerk version).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-04-20, 19:38   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

In the a.f.k. version, they translated what she said properly but ran it all together, as in:
"That'llbefourhundredninetyfiveyen..."
"Yourchangeistwohundredyen....
"thankyouverymuchcomeagainhaveanicedaywhatever ..."

something like that...
Old 2007-04-20, 19:40   Link #18
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
In the a.f.k. version, they translated what she said properly but ran it all together, as in:
"That'llbefourhundredninetyfiveyen..."
"Yourchangeistwohundredyen....
"thankyouverymuchcomeagainhaveanicedaywhatever ..."

something like that...
I was surprised by how well Kona-chan sounds like me in the same situation.
Old 2007-04-20, 22:34   Link #19
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
Spoiler for episode 2's dialogue about dentists:
Old 2007-04-20, 23:16   Link #20
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
A.F.K. does a great job of what I'll call "localization" --- carrying the spirit into what an equivalent english-speaking character might say. I just happen to personally prefer things be left as "original to the culture" as possible
Yeah, I'm the same - case in point being my favourite line from ep2, when the twins imagine Konata working in a bookstore:

Spoiler for ep2:

a.f.k.'s "Ka-ching" makes perfect sense, but it just doesn't have the rib-tickling charm of what's actually said (mind you a lot of that charm comes from how Konata says it - but that's a topic for another thread).
Closed Thread