AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2008-10-13, 19:14   Link #1
servidor

Otoyome-Gatari, new manga from Kaoru Mori

From Anime News Network: Emma's Kaoru Mori Launches Otoyome-Gatari Manga

"Historical work about horse-riding, arrow-shooting princess on Asia's Silk Road

Kaoru Mori, the creator of the award-winning Victorian-era Emma manga, announced on her personal blog this month that she is starting a new manga in the inaugural issue of Enterbrain's Fellows! magazine on October 14. An advertisement in the September 25 issue of the free Toradayo magazine further revealed that the new work is a historical manga set on the Silk Road that connected Asia with Europe before the modern times. The story will center around a princess who knows archery and horsemanship. According to a flyer for Fellows! magazine, the manga is tentatively titled Otoyome-Gatari, and the princess is named Amiru.

Fellows! was originally the name of a spinoff publication to Enterbrain's Comic Beam magazine. Mori drew Emma in Comic Beam, and she later drew Shirley, a manga set in Edwardian England, in the Comic Beam Fellows! publication. CMX Manga publishes Emma and Shirley in North America.

Source: Kuroi no Tenshi no Blog via dormcat's cubicle

Update: Mori revealed in her blog on October 4 that her new manga title is pronounced "Otoyome-Gatari.""

If you visit Ms. Mori's Blog (entry 122) you will see a couple of pictures from his new manga and the attention she pays to the characters' cloths is amazing. I hope the story is as good as the art.
servidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-26, 11:53   Link #2
servidor

For all of you interested, IIchan Translation Group, posted on their site the first translated chapter of Otoyome-Gatari.
Old 2008-11-26, 15:35   Link #3
blue skies
noch einmal?

I remembered hearing about this a while ago and got all excited because I loved Emma so much. I just read the first chapter and really enjoyed it, bunny killings aside. I was a little shocked at Karluk's age (I actually read that page three times to make sure I wasn't hallucinating, lol) but it's not really a big deal. The art is absolutely gorgeous. I don't know that I've ever seen such extreme detail in clothing; everything about it is beautiful. I'll definitely keep following this one. Looking forward to the next chapter.
blue skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-26, 16:33   Link #4
servidor

The downside of this manga, is that is only published every other month. About the age issue, probably it was an arranged marriage between clans to secure an alliance or trade routes, etc.
Old 2008-11-27, 03:35   Link #5
ZODDGUTS

Pretty good first chapter really like the main female girl. Looks like she didn't mind at all getting married to a young boy maybe she's a shotacon?
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-28, 23:46   Link #6
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Read the first chapter, and fantastic artwork as always. Set up of the family is intruiging, makes you wonder where Mori is going for the married couple.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 12:38   Link #7
servidor

For those of you interested, the translation for the second chapter is out at the usual place.
Old 2009-01-01, 14:16   Link #8
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Wow. Mori-sama really is one of the best manga artists out there right now. Everything she draws is fantastic.
Old 2009-01-01, 16:22   Link #9
blue skies
noch einmal?

lol, I was just wondering if this had come out yet. This was a really cute chapter, I loved it. Amira is just so sweet.

And I'm still drooling over the artwork. It's incredibly beautiful.
Old 2009-01-03, 16:49   Link #10
kari-no-sugata

I remember hearing about this, but didn't know the first chapter was out at all until I saw the 2nd chapter being discussed - I guess I don't think the manga section often enough.

I love the art. Amira is awesome so far. It's a bit more "slice of life" than I expected (not a complaint, just an observation), particularly given the forewarning of future drama at the end of the first chapter.

Definitely one to follow!
Old 2009-01-03, 20:52   Link #11
Sin Ansem
With this I'm Invincible!

Send a message via AIM to Sin Ansem Send a message via MSN to Sin Ansem
I'm amazed by the artwork. Amira is really pretty, though I think her underaged (? lol) husband gets enough screentime.

I'll see where this goes in the coming months, but for now, I'm just reveling in the awesome.

I Am Negima!?, and SO CAN YOU!
Part the First
Part the Second
Abandon Sanity, all ye who read here
Sin Ansem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 22:47   Link #12
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Her...art...is amazing!

It's as close to perfect as manga art gets. Such detail, such finesse, such beauty and grace and subtlety...
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 00:28   Link #13
Jhono1

Agreed, the art was truly amazing. Some of the best I've ever seen. Couldn't care much for the story though. The set-up is something you've would normally see in an more "explicit" manga, so to speak. I'll read a couple of more chapters when they are out to see where this is going, only to see that awe inspiring art if nothing else.
Jhono1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 00:35   Link #14
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhono1 View Post
Agreed, the art was truly amazing. Some of the best I've ever seen. Couldn't care much for the story though. The set-up is something you've would normally see in an more "explicit" manga, so to speak. I'll read a couple of more chapters when they are out to see where this is going, only to see that awe inspiring art if nothing else.
The author is the creator of the manga Emma and its spin-off Shirley, both of which are excellent entries in their respective genres (romance and slice-of-life, respectively); have some faith my friend.

For someone who's supposed to have never even set foot on England, her portrayal of the Victorian world was absolutely convincing. True, this story doesn't seem to be reliant on a well established theme like Emma's and a portrayal of Turkic (?) culture in the 19th century is going to be a lot harder than Victorian culture, but that's part of the challenge that makes this project of hers so exciting. Like you I can't see at all where this will go, but that makes the journey doubly interesting, no?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 00:47   Link #15
TrueKnight

I didn't read Emma, but I stumbled upon this a few days back.

I agree about the story being 'average' and generic. It portrays how a Turkic soceity back then in the 19th century and the remains of horse archery. Turks, being originally nomads, practices horse archery since ancient times, being known to the west during the Crusades.

But needlesly to say, that I was completely blown away by the beauty and detail of the art. I mean just look how freakingly well detailed the clothes they wear, not to mention the wood-arts. It's just simply amazing.

I eagerly await for the next chapter only to see the art, but the story is also a plus, but just seems shotaish to me, maybe it's Turkic culture. I wonder how will the author portrays Islamic culture as it is an inseperable part of the Turkic soceity back then.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 03:27   Link #16
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Has anyone ever suggested that Mori-sensei draw a costume encyclopedia? She sounds like one of those people who can bring aspects of history to a larger audience.
Old 2009-03-21, 09:01   Link #17
kari-no-sugata

Chapter 3 is out... in raw at least.

More slice of life with beautiful art... though page 35 is rather and at the end, it looks like "it" is just about to hit the fan.
Old 2009-03-21, 20:15   Link #18
blue skies
noch einmal?

Why so delicious, artwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
More slice of life with beautiful art... though page 35 is rather
And it was about the last thing I was expecting, lol. Oh Amira. You get more badass with each chapter. But the ending of this chapter was really interesting -- you definitely get the feeling that trouble is imminent, most likely what was foreshadowed at the end of the first chapter. It'll be fun to see where Mori is going to take this.
Old 2010-03-22, 14:53   Link #19
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Otoyomegatari by MORI Kaoru

Well, this was recommended to me by Zwei and it is a great series. The art is phenomenal. I can't begin to imagine how long it takes each panel to be drawn.

Spoiler for Up to Chapter 10:

EDIT: I really wish the same name would be used everywhere for consistency. -_-

Last edited by DragoZERO; 2010-03-22 at 20:37.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-22, 17:05   Link #20
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Speaking of her art, you can see her in action.

Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, historical, romance, seinen