AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad ~After Story~ - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 180 70.59%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 14.90%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 7.84%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 1.57%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 0.78%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.39%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.39%
1 out of 10 : Painful 9 3.53%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-30, 02:18   Link #41
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenemis View Post
I was spoiled, but man, it's like taking a Chainfist to the gut...
Or a bolter round to the face.

I'm well past Christmas Cake in status, so very little makes me tear up nowadays, but... Well, to say that the episode made me feel thoughtful for what seems to be a long time is an understatement. For all of the criticisms about the CLANNAD girls being plot devices more than characters, well, they sure do their roles well.

I think I need some time alone for a day.
Old 2009-01-30, 02:21   Link #42
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

this will make the saddest ep of the year
Old 2009-01-30, 02:29   Link #43
magnum
Lurking Around

Spoiler for for this episode:

I give this a perfect 10
Old 2009-01-30, 03:10   Link #44
davie

I'm going to assume by reading some of the replies that something bad is going to happen. I heard Tomoya's Seiyu (I suddenly forgot his name!) did amazing job in this episode.
Old 2009-01-30, 03:40   Link #45
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The ED could have still been "Dango Daikazoku". How do you think you'd feel if that where the case?
I would have liked that WAY better, honestly. Ever since the actual After Story started, I've gradually come to hate the current ending due to how it keeps ruining the mood completely, and it was worse than ever this week. Actually, this is all making me wonder why I didn't hate Kaze no Tadoritsuku Basho, which was just as big a mood-killer...

Anyway, back to the episode...
I knew this was coming, yet that didn't make it any less heart-wrenching to actually see it. They really surpassed the "Goal"-scene in Air here, if you ask me, and that's pretty damn impressive. 10/10 for the episode, and as of right now, I also give the series itself a 10/10.
Old 2009-01-30, 03:47   Link #46
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Goal scene is pretty godawful when it comes to what it signified. In AIR TV, there's far less time allowed to achieve the buildup, but the audience receive no break when it comes to the last climax of that series. I remember being shellshocked by AIR since I marathoned the last 3 episodes in one shot (knowing the plot well in advance at that). Do not attempt this unless if you don't value your mental health much.

Ever since AIR TV, KyoAni seems to have eased off on taking the audience to an emotional trainwreak. To be honest, the reflection in Clannad I think is a deeper one than that of AIR and Kanon out of the gut-wrenching moments. I at least have not been totally reduced into a blabbering, incoherent dysfunctional husk by Clannad and Kanon...

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2009-01-30, 03:52   Link #47
Antenor
Lucky Bastard

Spoiler for this episode:
Old 2009-01-30, 04:13   Link #48
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The ED could have still been "Dango Daikazoku". How do you think you'd feel if that where the case?
As I said in my earlier post, that would have been much better than the normal ending. In fact, the 2 seasons' endings should have been switched.

Torch is much better for keeping up with the comedy/light drama first season. Even after the sad parts, the song could have been played because the sad parts weren't of huge significance (like what happened in this episode).

On the other hand, Dango Daikazoku is perfect for After Story as it basically sums up the mood and theme of everything in After Story. It is also more downbeat and modest thus is very flexible for both those episodes that end happily and those that end sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antenor View Post
Dango Daikazoku would have killed me! Being so closely associated with ***********, that tune would have destroyed what little was left of my spirits...
Better choice than keeping this upbeat sugar parade song.

KyoAni got their endings messed up.
Old 2009-01-30, 04:46   Link #49
Omniscient

Geez, that was such a depressing episode. Like many of the people above, I hated that they kept the ED, but I still have to give the episode a 10/10 for how well KyoAni did it and how emotional it was.
More thoughts here.
Old 2009-01-30, 04:54   Link #50
cbatty
Such is liff

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
Goal scene is pretty godawful when it comes to what it signified. In AIR TV, there's far less time allowed to achieve the buildup, but the audience receive no break when it comes to the last climax of that series. I remember being shellshocked by AIR since I marathoned the last 3 episodes in one shot (knowing the plot well in advance at that). Do not attempt this unless if you don't value your mental health much.

Ever since AIR TV, KyoAni seems to have eased off on taking the audience to an emotional trainwreak. To be honest, the reflection in Clannad I think is a deeper one than that of AIR and Kanon out of the gut-wrenching moments. I at least have not been totally reduced into a blabbering, incoherent dysfunctional husk by Clannad and Kanon...
Agreed - we have also taken much longer to get to know the characters in Clannad as opposed to the characters in Kanon and Air. I only finished watching Air recently - and I marathoned the whole series - well finished it off in a couple of days - with the final 4 in one sitting - yes, that was heart wrenching but it is nothing like the feeling I have for this episode - and I haven't even seen it yet... just the anticipation is painful.
Old 2009-01-30, 04:55   Link #51
cbatty
Such is liff

AQS subs have just been posted... http://a.scarywater.net/aquastar/CLA...5D.avi.torrent
Old 2009-01-30, 05:11   Link #52
OmegaPhlare
The Romanticism

This is really the most amazing thing that I've ever seen. A part of me doesn't like the outcome of this episode, but I really understand that we need to keep going.

Spoiler for Episode; See It First!:
Old 2009-01-30, 05:16   Link #53
kamikazex

man....words cant even describe how much that sucks.
Old 2009-01-30, 05:31   Link #54
Antenor
Lucky Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Better choice than keeping this upbeat sugar parade song.

KyoAni got their endings messed up.
I couldn't agree more on that.

I listened to Dango Daikazoku a few minutes ago... After seeing this episode, the soothing lullaby becomes an extremely sad and nostalgic song.

It fits this episode like a glove.
Old 2009-01-30, 05:56   Link #55
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Jesus.. this was the worst episode I had ever seen from a Key anime..

How could they screw it up so badly? It's like watching a comedy show while induced on crack.

I've never actually seen anyone use unfitting music for those kind of scenes.. but let me say that I don't ever want to see anything like this ever again.

Poor music selection: It completely killed the mood. In fact, it felt like a mockery and an insult.
Old 2009-01-30, 05:58   Link #56
mit7059

W. T. F.

I'm so angry right now I can barely see straight. Why? Why? Why does every anime where they actually put effort into the story line decide, hey now we're going to crush your soul. Why would you do that? I don't understand, why can't there ever be a happy ending? Throughout all of Clannad I was pissed because I would have rather seen Tomoya with Tomoyo or Kyou but then in AS I actually really liked Nagisa and grew attached to the storyline.
wtf? WTF? WTF? WTF? WTF?

1/10 for ruining my day.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2009-01-30, 06:33   Link #57
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Though I really don't remember what was the policy for episodes whose fansub has yet to be released bt whose RAW is already out.
This question just keeps popping up over time, doesn't it For series that have a subforum, the answer is very simple - You venture inside an episode thread, you are expected to face content of said episode. There is little that is more redundant than venturing inside an episode 16 thread, and find a post spoiler tagged as "episode 16" or variations of that. Well ...duh ? People are free to use spoiler tags if they wish so, of course, but episode 16 thread is expected to contain episode 16 content. Simple as that.
Old 2009-01-30, 06:33   Link #58
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Key adaptation. Many people expected it, but it still hits as hard as a power fist, doesn't it?

Last edited by Myssa Rei; 2009-01-30 at 06:51.
Old 2009-01-30, 06:36   Link #59
SidVicious
Anime addict

This is just too sad.
Old 2009-01-30, 06:48   Link #60
magnum
Lurking Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Key adaptation. Many people expected it, but it still hits as hard as a power fist to the face, doesn't it?
Indeed that's true, maybe too much.