AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2017-11-09, 07:49   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 885 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Okay, here we go! Brief summary is out courtesy of AP's Redon:

-Chapter title is "It's Brulee!" Ministory involves Ideo's gang building a new ship (I guess for the captured long arms/long legs).

-During their fight, Katakuri still has the advantage over Gear 4 Luffy. The rubber man figures he'll eventually find another weakness to exploit from his opponent, but before putting his plan into action, Gear 4 wears off! Luffy needs to evade Katakuri for a full ten minutes before using G4 again, but he knows the commander won't make things easy for him. Thus, he uses Brulee to escape.... towards Nuts Island, where Big Mom currently is. Out of the frying pan but now in the fire, Luffy is forced to escape the combined assault of Big Mom, Perospero, AND Amande, carrying Brulee with him all the while....!!!

-Meanwhile, out at sea, the gang on the Sunny find it eerily quiet.... but they know it's only the calm before the storm. And they're right to assume so, as BM's forces prepare for an all-out attack to sink the Straw-Hat's, Capone's, AND the Sun Pirate's ships! As for Sanji's side, they've nearly finished the cake. They finished making the cream, chocolate, and chiffon cake, so now all that's left is the finishing touches. They decide to finish that part of the job on a ship as they set out to meet with the others on the Sunny....

Last edited by marvelB; 2017-11-11 at 07:58.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-09, 22:04   Link #2
Rainbowman

The suspense of this chapter is killing me. Brûlée is such a bitch for hindering Luffy’s plan to escape.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-10, 03:42   Link #3
Ultragunner

so in the end, Brulee is still the source of problems for the Big Mom Pirates
Old 2017-11-10, 10:30   Link #4
Theia_Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
so in the end, Brulee is still the source of problems for the Big Mom Pirates
I agree. Never have the words "Nice Job Fixing It, Villain" been more appropriate than here. Katakuri's expression was worth it.

Speaking of which, she might end up forced to betray Big Mom no matter what she does (or tries to do to avoid that; hiding within a few hundred yards away from her brother's fight didn't help).

And it looks like Sanji's secret weapon...is that whipped cream. If just a taste of it put one of the chefs like he is now, and it'll cover much of the entire cake, then Big Mom'll be too busy enjoying herself to do much of anything.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-10, 11:11   Link #5
itachi-san314

The Brulee stuff doesn't really matter in the long run. All these delays are just biding time until Big Mom gets Sanji's cake stuffed in her mouth.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-10, 13:15   Link #6
Sparda4
Dark Knight

Luffy is in trouble. Real bad. Haki is off his stamina is low. Something bad is going to happen i'm sure.
Old 2017-11-10, 13:35   Link #7
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

That Brulee's reaction is really awesome and i bet Jinbe or any of Sun Pirates will come to this play.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-10, 14:23   Link #8
Hujan
One Who Search The Truth

I wonder what will Hancock do if she see the page when Luffy see Bruleé and he smile and there is love/heart icon in it. LOL
Old 2017-11-10, 15:49   Link #9
The Small One

It's getting kind of boring, that Luffy always needs about three tries to defeat the powerful enemies, with these running away parts inbetween…
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-10, 19:04   Link #10
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

This chapter was everything that I wanted; mostly because it went how I predicted. Gear 4th ran out leaving Luffy defenseless without Haki for 10 minutes. It makes sense, Luffy has never defeated an opponent with Gear 4th within its first 10 minutes of use; and Katakuri is stronger than both Doflamingo and Cracker whom Luffy could only defeat with assistance.

The one thing I didn't predict was Luffy's Get Out of Jail for Free card a.k.a. Brûlée. But it makes story sense. As soon as Luffy went Gear 4th there were only 3 ways it could have played out:
  1. Luffy miraculously beats Katakuri within 10 minutes. (Not happening as it wouldn't make story sense)
  2. Luffy runs out of time and is killed by Katakuri while defenseless. (Also not happening as the story would end)
  3. Luffy runs out of time and somehow escapes from Katakuri long enough to try again (makes most sense if he isn't killed).
I also like how the scenario follows on from the previous chapter in that Brûlée was definitely in that spot from before and spectating Big Mom in Nuts Island so that's exactly where Luffy would come out. It also keeps the tension as Luffy still isn't safe even if he got away from Katakuri for now. But Luffy will face him one more time before rejoining the crew; he needs to go through the Mirror World to meet up with his crew and Katakuri will be waiting for him for the Final Round.

Also noticed a glimpse of Cracker's Biscuit Armour in the lineup of the Big Mom pirates so good to see that he's back.

Not sure how this is all going to end but I want to see 2 things:
  1. Sanji vs Oven: This would be an appropriate fight for Sanji as he hasn't had a decent one since Thriller Bark (...goodness...). Their abilities make for a good match and potential for Sanji to come out with a stronger technique.
  2. Luffy vs Katakuri: Not expecting Luffy to outright win but I do want Katakuri to be humiliated in battle before the Straw Hats escape. Preferably by Luffy innovating with his powers (not necessarily Awakening) and forcing Katakuri's back to the ground.
Old 2017-11-10, 22:43   Link #11
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
It's getting kind of boring, that Luffy always needs about three tries to defeat the powerful enemies, with these running away parts inbetween…
I agree that it's getting stale, but there isn't really any other way it can go right now. Dogtooth can't win since he wants to kill Luffy and Luffy can't win because it wouldn't make sense for him to beat someone stronger than Cracker who has an Awakened DF that is similar to his. It's just a matter of how long Oda wants to prolong the cake eating. Personally, I hope the next chapter ends with the cliffhanger of her getting a taste of it so we can get on with things that are more interesting.
Old 2017-11-11, 02:45   Link #12
Kaz_

I never dropped One Piece for being a bore, but this arc managed to pull that.
Everything from characters to twists reeks out of boredom lately.
Here is to hope that something truly astonishing happens to bring back my interest.
Kaz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-11, 03:51   Link #13
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
I agree that it's getting stale, but there isn't really any other way it can go right now. Dogtooth can't win since he wants to kill Luffy and Luffy can't win because it wouldn't make sense for him to beat someone stronger than Cracker who has an Awakened DF that is similar to his. It's just a matter of how long Oda wants to prolong the cake eating. Personally, I hope the next chapter ends with the cliffhanger of her getting a taste of it so we can get on with things that are more interesting.
The thing is: Luffy has to defeat Katakuri before this arc ends. So why not now? Even if it's by some plot device.
If the enemies were really thorough, he wouldn't even have a second chance, and definately not a third.

However with Brulee now gone, Katakuri is completely trapped, which is not really good in the long run. Since he now has nothing else to do he can rest and eat his remaining donuts.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-11, 08:02   Link #14
marvelB

A day late, but I updated the summary! I'd have commented on the chapter earlier too, but I was busy at the time, heh.

Anyway, even if the Katakuri fight got delayed, it's not like things got any easier for Luffy, considering he has the combined forces of Amande, Perospero AND freaking Big Mom herself to deal with. Like I said in the summary, it's practically like he leapt out of the frying pan, and straight into the fire, especially since he's unable to use haki for the next ten minutes....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-11, 12:37   Link #15
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
The thing is: Luffy has to defeat Katakuri before this arc ends. So why not now?
I don't see why Luffy has to defeat Dogtooth. The Big Mom pirates aren't going down in this arc unless a major deus ex machina appears that we haven't been given a clue about yet. I still think a grudging alliance is most likely. Frankly, I think almost everyone on this forum is vastly underestimating how much Big Mom will like Sanji's cooking. Dogtooth will probably go crazy for it too.

The other half of the SHs have no chance against Kaidou's army either so they're all going to need some serious help from somewhere to get passed these monsters. Luffy will eventually be stronger than BM and Kaidou, but not anytime soon. He needs to master Awakening and probably Gear 5 too to beat Kaidou.
Old 2017-11-12, 07:30   Link #16
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Well, i think that Big Mom's power will be weakened considerably because of this and i'm sure that Marines will be assembled near Wano if they know that SH is going towards it and aim to capture Kaido. I think that Marines never set foot on Fishman Island and that could be interesting to see it.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-12, 12:28   Link #17
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Brulee just keeps fucking up
I guess she was so confident Katakuri would win she didn't feel the need to go to a secure location.

Luffy, on the other hand, is incredibly unlucky. Out of all possible locations, he appeared near Big Mom. He's screwed if he doesn't find a mirror soon.
Old 2017-11-15, 03:06   Link #18
Clipens

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
The Brulee stuff doesn't really matter in the long run. All these delays are just biding time until Big Mom gets Sanji's cake stuffed in her mouth.
The chapter about Katakuri's donuts was a filler. Probably Oda is adding filler parts in prevision of Chapter 900. Probably chapter 900 will be named "The tenth" with a color spread with Jinbe as tenth member.
Clipens is offline   Reply With Quote