AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

View Poll Results: Code Geass Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 250 69.83%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 61 17.04%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 6.98%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 3.07%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 1.40%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.56%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.28%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 0.84%
Voters: 358. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-03-29, 13:40   Link #81
quina

Send a message via MSN to quina
Deleted, its bs
quina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 13:43   Link #82
metamorphic
ことわり
*Fansubber

Sunrise have scripted & created some of the best and greatest anime we've seen, and Code Geass is certainly an excellent example of this; its amazing amount of great, intriguing and superbly-woven characters, straight from Lelouch (who probably has to be one of the most interesting & greatest protagonists in any anime) down to every single character, and the great storylines prevalent in each episode is superb; it makes me want to see each and every episode over and over again, and then wait for the next one. This is exactly why it's the hottest anime this season, and this is exactly why so many of Sunrise's series turn out to be such major successes. This latest episode is another example of why Code Geass is the greatest show out there.

I'm also quite sure that Code Geass was planned to contain numerous seasons right from the beginning, as it's easy to see it was meant to be an epic right from the start. I personally can't wait to see the C.C. saga and the wonderful, intriguing mystery surrounding it. There are also a lot of extremely interesting new characters to appear or become significant soon, as this excellent ep. foreshadows.
metamorphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 13:43   Link #83
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by quina View Post
Euphie's final moment.
not sure how much of it is true.. if its true, this is kinda sad.
Golden. This'll make my day if it turns out to be true.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 13:55   Link #84
guiltygearxt
C.C. belongs to me

the only other anime created by Sunrise besides Code Geass i considered 2 be great would be Cyber Formula

Sunrise seriously lack some animes w/o Robots in it
guiltygearxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 13:57   Link #85
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Doh, I posted on the wrong thread.
@quina, check my reply on the spoiler thread.

Edit: Anyways, here's more stuff to chew on for the episode, that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Spoiler:

Last edited by aohige; 2007-03-29 at 14:34.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 14:23   Link #86
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiltygearxt View Post
Sunrise seriously lack some animes w/o Robots in it
Mai Hime ?
Old 2007-03-29, 14:27   Link #87
metamorphic
ことわり
*Fansubber

Sunrise have actually made several excellent anime without any robots e.g. see La Seine no Hoshi (circa 1975; one of their earliest series, based on an Alexandre Dumas novel), Mister Ajikko (a 1987 cooking anime), City Hunter, Mama wa Shougaku 4 Nensei, Gambarist! Shun, GPX, Chinmoku no Kantai, Cowboy BEBOP, Sentimental Journey (based on the Sentimental Graffiti renai simulation series), Inu Yasha, Witch Hunter Robin, Planetes, Mai-HiME & Mai-Otome, Yakitate!! Japan, Gintama, Iroha and many others. And when it comes to giant robot anime, Sunrise are literally pioneers; the Gundam series and Escaflowne are amongst the greatest of all time.

Last edited by metamorphic; 2007-03-29 at 14:52.
metamorphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 14:53   Link #88
Omniscient

Episode 23 Screencaps and Summary

Spoiler:
Omniscient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 14:55   Link #89
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
One of my friends said his roomate dropped the show after hearing about the second season; frankly, I'd always thought an anime was done long in advance of its airing, but from Fake Okouchi's updates it sounds like Geass didn't go "just as planned" and was being worked on in the latter stages even during the airing, which doesn't sound right. Maybe he was just trying to emphasize that Sunrise does hard work...

Regardless, Geass still is a high quality anime with a simply stunning main character, but it does suffer from pacing problems, trivial focus, outrageous improbability (beyond suspension of disbelief for anyone with a modicum of imagination) and every god-dang cliche the director/writer master handbook to make Geass an "all-purpose, cross-genre legendary anime of all time".

It's still a decent show, but only as low-brow entertainment; as far as a serious critique of "T" or "J", I doubt we'll ever see anything of that like. At least the sense of "epicness" has returned a bit.
I'm sorry, but I must take issue with all of the above. First of all, WHY would you drop a show after hearing about a second season? If they have more story to tell and get a chance to do it, why is that a reason to throw the show away? I can think of several shows, Japanese or otherwise, which could have benefitted from "time extensions" (Evangelion being the most immediately obvious example, though the "extension" wouldn't have been an additional full 26 episodes.)

But Geass as "low brow"? What the heck? What the great tapdancing Moses? Geass is at least on par with anything else on television in any country at this point. The pacing seemed a bit odd AT FIRST, but with the conclusion coming we can see that pretty much everything in the show was done very, very deliberately. And there is such a thing as "using cliche well" (never mind using cliche with the deliberate intent of turning it on its ear, as they did with Euphie.) And what "outrageous improbability" does the show suffer from? The only thing I can think of right now is the episode where Lulu, Euphie, Karen and Suzaku end up on that island, as we're still unclear on how they survived being HADRON CANNON'D. If you mean the equipment of the Black Knights... Lulu subverted and took command of a resistance movement and is getting support from a larger group (Kyoto) that clearly has access to pretty impressive resources. And have you forgotten the equipment raids they conducted earlier in the series? About the only real plot-hole equipmentwise is Lulu's helmet (where did he get such a thing custom-ordered, anyhow? Plus how does he see out of it? )

Geass is pretty much the finest piece of television, animated or otherwise, Japanese or otherwise, that I've seen in years. It's certainly light years ahead of a lot of the lolita-complex-pandering dreck that seems to clog the airwaves (not to mention the torrents) these days.

Oh, as far as the delay on the last two episodes go: it's as aohige said. If anything this is going to hurt their ratings since with the way the episodes jump from cliffhanger to cliffhanger, a delay like this kills momentum for the viewership. They're doing it only because they gave into fan demand for recap episodes, and I suspect Summer is the earliest they could find any time to get the rest of the Geass episodes published. Television schedules are prepared months in advance, remember.

Oh, aohige, I hope you have something with which to beat your countrymen concerning the recap episodes. People demand recap, and look what happens!
SpaceDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 15:02   Link #90
7Th
Mixtape

Heh, this turned out to be pretty fun if predictable and conveniently plotted episode, just like I’ve come to expect from this series. The major unknown for the future is who will pilot Nina’s customized Ganymede; I, for one, don’t really think she will be the one to do it. That’s pretty much the only script point I’m going to guess right now, and I guess Geass doesn’t require long stylistic analysis for direction, which even when being by the numbers ended up completely effective, or animation. And SpaceDrake, sorry but I can't help to laugh at your statements.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 15:02   Link #91
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Spoiler:
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 15:03   Link #92
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I seriously doubt fans wanting recap is the real reason.
If anything, most fans didn't want recap, they wanted episodes to come faster.

The real reason behind recaps is, simply because they were behind schedule, and being the perfectionist Taniguchi is, he didn't want to toss an entire episode to gross-work (subcontracted studio to do animation) like most anime shows do, and reduce quality.

It's hard to decide which is better... having the main studio do all of it to keep quality up, but having to wait a long time to see the rest... or accepting low-quality gross-work just so the anime can finish as scheduled.
Most anime companies take the latter approach, but some directors are stubborn.
Old 2007-03-29, 15:12   Link #93
ccardoso
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
Episode 23 Screencaps and Summary

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
ccardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 15:13   Link #94
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I seriously doubt fans wanting recap is the real reason.
If anything, most fans didn't want recap, they wanted episodes to come faster.

The real reason behind recaps is, simply because they were behind schedule, and being the perfectionist Taniguchi is, he didn't want to toss an entire episode to gross-work (subcontracted studio to do animation) like most anime shows do, and reduce quality.

It's hard to decide which is better... having the main studio do all of it to keep quality up, but having to wait a long time to see the rest... or accepting low-quality gross-work just so the anime can finish as scheduled.
Most anime companies take the latter approach, but some directors are stubborn.
Hmm, I had heard from elsewhere that the recaps were fan-demanded since a lot of people started getting into the series halfway, and with no reruns, you know. Guess I stand corrected.

Either way I don't mind a delay at all if it means proper animation. I remember certain episodes of shows like Higurashi, oh god.

They haven't given an exact date for 24 and 25, have they?
SpaceDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 15:14   Link #95
bkg9990
Singin Diamond Crevasse
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to bkg9990 Send a message via Yahoo to bkg9990
so that means Marianne is alive?!?!
Old 2007-03-29, 15:14   Link #96
tritoch

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!

Destruction before Creation. I say its a line straight out from NGE

Well.. Its sad that Euphie had to bite the dust. Err. Kaguya > Euphie anyways. She just moe'd me to death.
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 15:15   Link #97
Majek
Sm3rt teh M@d Jester

It just means he doesn't understand, that a new empire always rises from the ashes of the destroyed one. :P

http://icandoit.mybrute.com - fight me !!
Majek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 15:17   Link #98
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkg9990 View Post
Not necessary.

Remember, the Emperor was talking to Clovis, after he was shot dead.
Most likely, people who have relation with geass can communicate in the "world of C", even after their deaths.
Old 2007-03-29, 15:20   Link #99
Seska

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Not necessary.

Remember, the Emperor was talking to Clovis, after he was shot dead.
Most likely, people who have relation with geass can communicate in the "world of C", even after their deaths.
Ohoh.... *Seska's mind beging to imagine pictures*

CC= Valkyrie
VV= 2nd Valkyrie (2nd side collecting?)
Marianne= in the halls of Valhalla
Clovis=in the halls of Vahalla
Emperor=Odin
etc....

Ragnarok.....
Seska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 15:21   Link #100
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkg9990 View Post
Unless she benefitted from some hidden magick - the likes of which enabled Mao to come back from Gehenna in a hypothetically similar fashion - I doubt it'd be her.

If by some devilry it's indeed her, then three mammoth questions would be RiverDancing their way up to us:
- How in the bejeezus did she survive without a word breathed to her children?
- Why did a supposedly doting mother all of a sudden not seek after her kids?
- How in the nine hells did she end up in the Chinese Federation?

Unless there's a credible answer for all three questions - so solid it could withstand the gross weight of an ocean liner - I'll assume it's the current leader of the Chinese Federation...possibly the Chairman/Secretary General of the local Politburo. As seen with the Chinese general during the Kyushuu campaign, a male sporting long hair is not an outlandish thing. He could very well have shoulder-length hair like that Jovian Federation guy from Martian Successor Nadesico.