AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-05-19, 03:10   Link #921
Kakkou
Tch.

Calling bullshit on the claims that traditional animation couldn't pull off that last scene without rotoscoping. It's just that the number of people out there who can and would do it is low, just like the number of people who would choose to do an anime with rotoscoping like this one.

ANYWAY, none of that matters right now because it doesn't change the fact that scene was great. It was the first time I felt the anime truly impressed. There was no unintentional comedy, no "if only they had more frames and drawing consistency" or "needs more effort" moments. Everything pretty much came together well was just great to watch.

I hope there will be more scenes on this level in the remaining episodes and not just a one off thing.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 03:12   Link #922
YourIdeas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssTEss View Post
I always thought Nakamura was a contrast to Kasuga; they both think the world is shit but found different ways to express it. So no goal, just crazy.
Well, the world as they see it.

Just to mention, they seem to live in one of the more rural regions in Japan. Having lived in one of these areas in Japan for three years, I can safely say that if I had to live the majority of my childhood and school days in one of these areas, I'd become some awkward shut-in who thinks the world is shit also.
YourIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 07:42   Link #923
Bern-san

This episode's OP was good and the highlight is obviously the ending scene with the classroom. I hope the next episodes maintain the level of this one although I'm not sure about the direction the anime will take. This was having 12 o 13 episodes?
Old 2013-05-19, 09:14   Link #924
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I mean, at least Yuno had a purpose, but Nakamura...she just wants...hell, I don't know WHAT she wants =0\. A pervert? For what? So she can laugh at his misfortune? I don't even know.
As i see it, she's not simply having fun at his expense, she genuinely wants to find someone who's similar to herself, and she sees that potential in Kasuga. That's why she was so disappointed when she thought he was "boring, just like the others" and was about to leave him for good.

Nakamura said a few episodes ago that she had something inside her desperately struggling to get out. I think "destroying" the classroom symbolized both of them freeing their needs - like the moon that was about to crack open as she said. As of now, i actually find Saeki much more..enigmatic than Nakamura.

Last edited by Goty; 2013-05-19 at 09:36.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 11:36   Link #925
vaden
0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
Calling bullshit on the claims that traditional animation couldn't pull off that last scene without rotoscoping. It's just that the number of people out there who can and would do it is low, just like the number of people who would choose to do an anime with rotoscoping like this one.

ANYWAY, none of that matters right now because it doesn't change the fact that scene was great. It was the first time I felt the anime truly impressed. There was no unintentional comedy, no "if only they had more frames and drawing consistency" or "needs more effort" moments. Everything pretty much came together well was just great to watch.

I hope there will be more scenes on this level in the remaining episodes and not just a one off thing.
I couldn't agree more. The classroom scene plays to the rotoscoping's strengths, while simultaneously obviating most of its persistent weaknesses. The constant motion and camera rotation make for shots that would actually be difficult to pull off with hand-drawn animation, not least in keeping the movement fluid and the proportions straight. On top of that, the usual instability of the line work suddenly ceases to be a problem because everything is moving anyway, and the darkness means that the total lack of facial shadowing is, for once, justified. It was the first time I felt like a serious amount of thought went into how the direction ought to mesh with the animation. This is how the show should have introduced its rotoscoping, not with largely still scenes that laid its biggest problems bare.
vaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 13:10   Link #926
Dop
Mmmm....

I've got shivers....

That final scene, that joyful orgy of vandalism after Kasuga snaps, that was just one of the most beautiful moments I've ever seen, and coupled with that haunting music (the original version of 'Hana', not the 'a last flower' version) it was just absolutely wonderful.

I'll have to go and watch it again...
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-20, 09:29   Link #927
maximilianjenus
[E]

satelight and kyoani pull those kind of scenes consistenly; now about the actual episode, the anime is still going very slow, which for me hurts the amount of people who can enjoy it more than what rotoscoping does.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-20, 09:40   Link #928
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

I'm only up to episode 6 but goddamn Nakamura is the best villian I've seen in a long, long, LONG time...

Stay deviant, my friends.
Old 2013-05-21, 10:19   Link #929
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

The rotoscoping honestly looks bad most of the time but damn they really nailed it in that classroom scene. That was seriously glorious, possibly one of the few moments where the anime surpasses the manga.
Old 2013-05-21, 12:35   Link #930
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Nakamura is right--school is all about sex. Especially that soiree, that midnight assignation in the class-room. The sheer pleasure of release, of abandoning the disguises of social conformity, the orgy of destruction--it's trite and true to say they were coming.

Although their feelings were different: Kasuga acts out of supreme frustration, while Nakamura just experiences bliss at the destruction, at the satisfaction of her hatred for that classroom and everyone in it.

Nakamura seemed brilliantly happy. The animation lingered on her form: is she supposed to be sexy here?

I loved the serenity of the moon above them all, unruffled by all their passion.

Where can the show go from here? They get expelled, ostracized--the future just seems like a dead end at this point.

I wonder how the Japanese audience responded to this scene. Any reports from 2chan?

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 21:12   Link #931
YourIdeas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
Nakamura seemed brilliantly happy. The animation lingered on her form: is she supposed to be sexy here?
When Nakamura has her glasses off, I honestly don't think she looks that bad. Her attractiveness was just more apparent when she was as ecstatic as she was in the classroom scene.
YourIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 01:51   Link #932
cyth
Banned

Moe comes in different shapes and sizes ...
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 20:41   Link #933
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

I'm caught up.

and I can't wait for episode 8 now.

I almost feel bad for Kasuga; just when he finally gets to be with his dream girl, Nakamura breaks him into confessing about the gym clothes as he tears the living HELL out of that classroom....
Old 2013-05-23, 08:36   Link #934
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Episode 7: Powerful and sublime

That classroom destruction was the one scene from the manga I was truly impressed with. This was the scene I was waiting for Nagahama's interpretation, and it leaves me with the same amount (if not more so) of perverse glee and pity for both Kasuga and Nakamura. A-maa-zing.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 09:55   Link #935
Bern-san

Ueda Shinichirou (Kasuga's actor and seiyuu) kneeling in front of Yoko Hikasa (Saeki's seiyuu) and Ise Mariya (Nakamura's seiyuu)
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-05-23, 12:20   Link #936
Jerseykid

Kasuga had one chance before it was too late. When they were on the bed together Kasuga should have said that Nakamura was a crazed stalker, trying to do anything to ruin their relationship. Saeki would have believed anything that came out after that was a lie I think.

Last edited by Jerseykid; 2013-05-23 at 22:34.
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 00:15   Link #937
ElMikkino

This episode was unfortunately not something worthy of waiting a whole week. In no way did we need more than five minutes of Kasuga and Nakamura just walking. They made it as interesting as they could, what with the strange camera angles, the out-of-focus lamp in the foreground, the many unorthodox cutoff points, and how we never see their faces. But still, walking is walking, which gets followed by more walking when they repeat the scene that happened at the very beginning of the anime. Nothing much had changed, really, except--oh! They cut out the shots of the other people, meaning Kasuga now fully considers himself an outcast to society! I guess that's kind of cool, then, but really, so much walking...

Anyways, after all that walking, we finally arrive at plot development, which basically just goes the way we expected. Kasuga's name isn't revealed to the whole school, but the previews in the end of the last episode and the beginning of this one already gave that away, really. Having only Saeki find out wasn't something I expected (though I really should have), but making it so we don't even see his expression when Saeki tells him--ugh, it feels more like robbery than a cliffhanger!

If this story did need some filler to fill out 13 episodes, then they certainly did it in a unique way, but as with most filler episodes, it was still very unsatisfying.

But hey, at least there was a new ending song. That makes up for it, right?
ElMikkino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 13:12   Link #938
Dop
Mmmm....

One thing this show does really well I think is sound design. This to me was very evident in the first half of the show.

Kasuga and Nakamura walking home from their frenzy, hand in hand until they are forced to part, accompanied by kind of ambient music, felt like coming down after a really good party.

But the music for Kasuga's walk to school was much more ominous, befitting Kasuga's fears for what would happen to him when he got there.

That's not filler, it's how you do aftermath...!

And now Saeki knows. If only he hadn't bought her that book.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 19:53   Link #939
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

I fast forwarded Nakamura and Kasuga walking the walk of shame when it was dragging into THREE minutes.

Other than that.....well, Saeki knows now. Nothing more to say than that
Old 2013-05-27, 23:20   Link #940
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
That walking scene was WAY too long I understand hat they wanted to convey, but it went on for far too long. The ending was quite surprising too I lik how the ending song is becoming more and more clear with each episode too. anyone else notice this?
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avantgarde, romance