AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2003-12-18, 21:05   Link #161
bOcyOgl
lv.2 频道贼

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterx
hrm I watched the first episode, talkative like patlabor without the mecha action, I'm still wondering whether I should continue watching or not since it doesnt seem to have a plot so far. But if it turns into some romance love triangle thingy it would suck so much
trust me the story gets better in later episodes, hope you can get used to her whinings though
bOcyOgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 23:37   Link #162
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOcyOgl
trust me the story gets better in later episodes, hope you can get used to her whinings though
Actually I've come to love Tanabe's rants. It's a hoot watching her build up a big head of steam. The great thing about her is that she is just so earnest that she can't imagine why everyone else isn't doing the right thing also! I've also never seen her rant about anything that wasn't right. Of course her rants get funny despite their righteousness because she has no sense for how things actually work in the real world.

It isn't a shock that she was transfered in the honn section, huh?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-19, 00:42   Link #163
Thelastguardian

i think in esp 9 yuri will say something like he lost his love one in space due to space debris collision. Thats why he is in the job of collecting debris.
Thelastguardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-19, 13:30   Link #164
FlyByNite

I am just continually amazed at how this show mixes insanely serious topics like cancer, death, etc... Then also throws in completely slapstick comedy like the fanboy ninjas.

I don't think this show will ever get wide mainstream appeal because of it, but I think it will be a cult favorite for a lot of people. And I really like it.
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-19, 15:19   Link #165
GATX207_Blitz
Gobble Gobble

Send a message via MSN to GATX207_Blitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
i think in esp 9 yuri will say something like he lost his love one in space due to space debris collision. Thats why he is in the job of collecting debris.
ahem thats eps 10.... ;p
GATX207_Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-19, 20:02   Link #166
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATX207_Blitz
ahem thats eps 10.... ;p
thats why I said the word "will" lol (only guessing the next esp. )

And for the cult comment I think doesn't Naruto generate a big enough cult already ?

The producers did an excellent job at blending in serious issues along with more heartlighten moments. The result is so good that you can't really tell the differences.
Thelastguardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-20, 15:27   Link #167
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbm5
At 12 years old, she certainly is a Nono.

/where am i going, and why am i in this handbasket?

You missed a golden opportunity to add this as well:

I'm just saying she's precious. Really, that's all.
Ballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-20, 23:37   Link #168
cbm5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballz
You missed a golden opportunity to add this as well:

I'm just saying she's precious. Really, that's all.

Oh wow, you're right. But then I'm not really a smilies man. It would have been perfect though.
cbm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-24, 04:15   Link #169
7hor
Full Metal Physicist

Quote:
Same here. The only other sci-fi anything I've seen that does this as well is 2001: A Space Odyssey. The scene where David blasts back into the ship was made all the more impressive by the fact that there was not a single noise to be heard, not even mood music.

I Planetes. I also wasn't aware the manga was out in the States, now I have to pick it up. Haven't seen episode 9 yet, but I do hope Nono-chan comes back. She's such a cutie, even if she sounds like Chiyo-chan.

I'm sure I just missed it, that somebody already brought this up, but several times, they have had sounds in space. You have to go back and watch it. I was happy that there was no ambient noise when they had shots of space, but if you watch the first episode, where the ship gets nailed by the screw, it had engine noise "on the outside." Also, when the military sattelite flys by the "camera", basically our point of view at the time, it makes a faint sound like it's swooshing by. However, I haven't noticed anything else, besides maybe their thrusters on their suits sometimes, but those could be internal sounds. I am still happy to see most things not make too much noise in a vacuum in Planetes.
7hor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-25, 05:45   Link #170
thirdwheel
godless

Send a message via AIM to thirdwheel
Quote:
I Planetes. I also wasn't aware the manga was out in the States, now I have to pick it up. Haven't seen episode 9 yet, but I do hope Nono-chan comes back. She's such a cutie, even if she sounds like Chiyo-chan.
The manga is really really worth picking up, even though the art isn't too great IMO.
It conveys the same feeling of inspiration I get from the anime, it's great.
thirdwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-25, 12:55   Link #171
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheinhard
I am doing my part to spread awareness of this series among a possible group of fans who would appreciate it but who might not see it otherwise. I've made a DVD of the first 7 episodes and send it off for inclusion on the program of Philcon, a literary oriented science fiction convention in Philadelphia which is among the oldest in the US (running for over 60 years!) There is actually a rift growing in the con between old timers who want to keep it purely literary, and newer members who want to open it up to more tracks of media related programming including anime. It's my hope that with a show like Planetes, with its solid hard-SF elements and powerful presentation of the lives of Man in space (especially that speech about the Sea of the Moon in episode 7) will convince them that there is more to anime than Dragonball Z and Pokemon.

So what happen when they got the DVD?

Do tell me.
stormy001_M1A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-25, 21:43   Link #172
NenMaster

i aint dumped this series, but i want to see something good apart from these 1 ep storys
NenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-26, 13:56   Link #173
CaLBeaR
医者

i'm glad JAXA is behind/sponsoring this anime. it's been a loooong time since i saw a realistic 'no sound in space' show.
CaLBeaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-28, 15:34   Link #174
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdwheel
The manga is really really worth picking up, even though the art isn't too great IMO.
It conveys the same feeling of inspiration I get from the anime, it's great.
I got the first volume a few day ago, and I love it, although it is in many ways quite different from the anime.

I like the art too. Fee is quite foxy in the manga. ^_-

And to the person who commented on the sound in space... I must have missed it, because all times I recall hearing sound, it's what could be heard "internally" where there is air.
Old 2003-12-28, 21:47   Link #175
7hor
Full Metal Physicist

There is rarely any sound, and when they thrust, I guess you could in fact hear it, but I don't know why it would be hooked up to them internally ^_^

In the first 10 seconds of the first ep, you see the space ship and sound on the outside, and when the camera cuts inside, the sound changes. So this is infact external sound, but you could say it is just internal sound, but why are they letting us hear it from there.

The only other thing I can find real fast is in episode 1, go to 22:05 or slightly before there, and watch the sattelite whiz by, it made some sound. Besides that, can't find anything else besides thrusting.

Either way, haven't noticed anything else, and I'm glad that most stuff is silent. I'm just a stupid geek who likes to pick up on these things. :P
Old 2003-12-29, 03:17   Link #176
ato
Oups...

This might be a bit far fetched, but what the hey...

Thrusting is actually one of the things that could be heard in a spacesuit, provided it is hit by the gasses ejected by the thrust. The pitter-patter of millions of small molecules, hehe. Of course, this would only be the case if you were fairly close to the engine, since the pressure should drop at the cube of the distance even with a constant burn rate.

Likewise, if you are in a spacesuit attached (via magnetic shoes for example) to a vehicle, and that vehicle performs a burn, you are likely to pick up the sound through vibrations in the hull. It won't sound the same as what's heard inside, but there will be some kind of sound.

I haven't studied the scenes to find the sound effects in question, but it just might be something they thought of
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-29, 23:50   Link #177
7hor
Full Metal Physicist

The thrust on their suits is fine But the 2 others I found wouldn't happen, but I'm just way too picky. ^_^
Old 2003-12-30, 04:23   Link #178
Xiandu
Destroyer of the God Deus

Send a message via AIM to Xiandu
Wow it has been a while since i posted here. Been waiting for ANBU the jerks, leave that there personal bias, but i decided to go with A-E and was finally able to see eps 8 and 9. This series just keeps getting better and better. Boy that Fee is something else isn't she. I like her character alot and it was good to see more backstory on her(she's hot too). Ep9 was another great episode and we finally got to meet Hachi's Sensei and see that he become a space cop or sorts. It was another great show of character for both Hachi and Tanabe. The ending was almost a tear jerker and you know that more heartache will come of it. I forgot the manga was available, definitely going to be picking it up when i get some extra spending cash. Well i will post as soon as i see ep10.
Xiandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 08:40   Link #179
Tboz

I was wondering what had happened to ANBU too, other than the Naruto episodes, they haven't release anything else. I guess they are either busy with their lifes or taking a rest due to the holiday season. I am still stuck with episode 7 btw, guess I will just move on to other groups for the time-being.
Tboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 09:20   Link #180
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiandu
Wow it has been a while since i posted here. Been waiting for ANBU the jerks, leave that there personal bias, but i decided to go with A-E and was finally able to see eps 8 and 9. This series just keeps getting better and better. Boy that Fee is something else isn't she. I like her character alot and it was good to see more backstory on her(she's hot too). Ep9 was another great episode and we finally got to meet Hachi's Sensei and see that he become a space cop or sorts. It was another great show of character for both Hachi and Tanabe. The ending was almost a tear jerker and you know that more heartache will come of it. I forgot the manga was available, definitely going to be picking it up when i get some extra spending cash. Well i will post as soon as i see ep10.
It seems that my two favorite anime this season aren't getting the speedy fansub service they deserve as opposed to certain other anime I'm not so fond of... *cough Full Metal Alchemist cough*

But no rush, I suppose. If you got a thing for Fee, definitely check out the manga. The best chapter in volume 1 is a story that involves her that I hope to God comes up in the anime at some point.

Do not get between this woman and her cigarettes.

Edit - while I do like ANBU's subs the best, A-E is really good as well, so it doesn't bother me which group I have when I download the show.