AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

View Poll Results: What type of phone do you use?
Smartphone (iOS) 14 20.59%
Smartphone (Android) 27 39.71%
Smartphone (Other) 6 8.82%
Feature phone 6 8.82%
Non-feature dumbphone 13 19.12%
No mobile phone at all 2 2.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-12-23, 19:58   Link #1
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Smartphone vs Dumbphone

The "for want of notepad thread" reminded me that smartphones aren't everywhere just yet.

Do you use a smartphone or a dumbphone?

If you use a smartphone, what OS? Are you considering another OS for your next phone? Any comments about smartphones (mobile browser support for websites, apps)?

If you use a dumbphone, do you intend to upgrade on your next phone purchase? Is your dumbphone a feature phone or just make calls?

Any observations about how common/uncommon smartphones are? Any comments on why people should/should not use smartphones?

I think world wide market penetration for smart phones is 30% or something and US is slightly above 50%. For the people I'm around, it feels like 90% or something though. I felt like a tiny minority when I was still using iPod touch + dumb phone.

I personally am an iPhone 4S user, though I'm considering switching to Android for my next phone. Maybe Windows 8, but that seems more aimed at tablets than phones. I'm not much of a big app user (my most used apps are Kotoba! dictionary and Facebook), though I access the internet a lot from my phone. QR codes are also a major use for my phone.

Final question for those of us lucky enough to live in Japan. I think QR codes originated in Japan, since QR codes are generally associated with smartphones, am I correct to assume that smartphones are very popular over there?
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 20:07   Link #2
Kyuu
=^^=

I have a dumbphone. And it's pretty dumb. I barely use it. Had it for almost 3-years now, and the battery doesn't even last long anymore.

I plan to get a smartphone within the next few months. I've been wanting to get a camera too... so hell... why not spend the money on a smartphone.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 20:14   Link #3
Vena
Carpe Diem

I have two devices with me at any one time:

I use a dumbphone (Samsung D407), that has survived god knows what over the last seven years of its life span. I have changed the battery (maybe 5$ total) a couple of times to reinvigorate the brave trooper. As a phone, though, it is unbeatable in that it: makes calls, can text, doesn't break when dropped (and has it ever), and, for the lulz, I can challenge anyone with a smart phone to a *throw your phone against the wall* contest. (It is grandfathered to back in the days when an unlimited plan with calls, internet, and texting were actually cheap.)

I use an HTC HD2 for being a monstrously rootable, runs everything I might need in an on the go device. It serves as my music player, desktop remote, internet browser, miniature laptop (and everything that comes with effectively being a computer like email, word processor, pdf, complete programs and not limited apps), and on and on the list goes. And, since it runs Ubuntu/Droid... (Only thing its missing is a keyboard... oh, but wait, it has one of those too because it can mount anything through USB! ) (To be clear, this phone has no plan, no SIM card, and no connection to any carrier.)

Ultimately, I sacrifice a little pocket space for the functionality of a complete smartphone (and more) that costs be ~25$ a month (Yes, its a very old grandfather plan). I'm fine with losing a 1" x .5" x 2" space in my pocket for (by today's AT&T and Verizon standards) at least another 25$ a month. And I don't get stalked/tracked by my provider!

When my Samsung finally dies one day (beyond any minute repair I can make) it will be replaced by a new version of itself (as I prefer that my phone be able to survive scuffs with gravity). I see no reason to actually buy smartphones on a carrier at this time.
Old 2011-12-23, 20:15   Link #4
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

have a Samsung Suede, don't think it's really classified as a smartphone...don't know what kind of OS it has...listed as "proprietary"

I want the Galaxy S2 sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 20:22   Link #5
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I was using an old Motorola Q for years. I've switched to a Blackberry after being pestered by my provider for a year that I was elegible for a new phone and we have these deals. I think I got the old model they were clearing out for the new iPhones, but it works better than the old Q did.

The original battery lasts longer as well. The old Q battery lasted 4-8 hours on a charge. I had to get the extended battery to get 9 hours of use so I could be sure it still worked from the time I left home to when I would get back from work. And over the years it got beat up and dropped. The batery started swelling and would get hot with heavy use. It started not holding a charge, or at least indicating that it wasn't holding a charge. Some days it would hold a charge 12 hours and others it wouldn't last one hour. The Blackberry lasts about 4-6 hours of heavy use, and seemingly all day with minimal use.

I got the Q originally to program...are actaully to test my friends programs, but also because in my trips to my grandmother's house we discovered that after switching to DSL, it was really, really hard to use dial up modems again. The Q allowed me to use more or less all the websites I normally used. Some in a restricted fashion, but at least I could keep up.
Old 2011-12-23, 20:24   Link #6
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I have a dumb phone and it's not even mine. My BIL (Brother in law) is loaning it to me until we can get back on our feet a bit better. Hey, it's free to me though.

That being said, I desperately want a smartphone.

Endless "Dumb phone is dumb" Soul
Old 2011-12-23, 20:32   Link #7
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
S2? How about the Nexus?
http://www.google.com/nexus/
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 20:48   Link #8
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
S2? How about the Nexus?

just saw that, currently have my Verizon account on suspension <.< will go back to it soon since I won't have to worry about a second person killing my bill anymore.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 20:51   Link #9
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
have a Samsung Suede, don't think it's really classified as a smartphone...don't know what kind of OS it has...listed as "proprietary"

I am using one right now. After my next pay I am getting custom casings from connections.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 21:43   Link #10
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
S2? How about the Nexus?
That looks pretty nice.
Old 2011-12-23, 22:02   Link #11
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
That looks pretty nice.
Why not just buy this goliath in a year? HTC Edge. I can guarantee you it will have about 2 minutes of battery life, and you're probably going to be able to knock someone unconscious with its size.
Old 2011-12-23, 22:18   Link #12
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

When I got my first smartphone, I got a Samsung Blackjack, which is in fact my first smartphone. Although it has more functions and a keyboard, Windows Mobile was just a piece of junk and it runs slowly. Eventually it got replaced with an iPhone 3G and then a 3GS, which I have now. The camera is pretty good and I use it as a music player, but it's battery is starting to drain faster. I'm replacing it with a white iPhone 4S pretty soon.

Although Android looks nice, I prefer the iPhone mostly because I already have a collection of apps, prefer the music player on it and of course the camera, which I use quite a lot.
Old 2011-12-23, 22:33   Link #13
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

I hate cellphones people dont need to know where I am pr call me when im out
Old 2011-12-23, 22:37   Link #14
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

I have a black Nokia 6500 slide. It is heavy and sturdy. You can smash it against any smart phone out there and it will shatter the other phone into pieces and leave not a scratch on its shell. True monster of a phone it is.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 23:05   Link #15
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I got a cell phone for emergency use originally. There are pretty much no pay phones anymore. Very few people have my cell phone number so almost no one calls me unless it is long distance.

Now I mostly use it as a portable Internet connection.
Old 2011-12-24, 00:01   Link #16
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
I have a black Nokia 6500 slide. It is heavy and sturdy. You can smash it against any smart phone out there and it will shatter the other phone into pieces and leave not a scratch on its shell. True monster of a phone it is.
Sounds like my phone, which happens to be a nokia as well. I've dropped it countless times and has only broke into pieces a few times, and even when it does I put it back together and it still works fine.

I'm personally not attracted to the whole plethora of features smartphones offer, I just want a phone for calling and being called. Don't need all the extra perks (a waste of my money IMO). These phones features are not going to inhance my productivity in any way. They're mostly filled to the brim with stuff for convenience sake.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 00:38   Link #17
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Smartphones are going to be the future, but I'm not getting rid of my dumb phone until the price of them have come down. Maybe in 2 or 3 years I'll upgrade.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 01:10   Link #18
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

The price of smart phones vary quite a bit. You can have a decent Android for a fraction of iPhone's price. And in NA it is the norm for service providers to provide phones on discount.

I have not switched to a smart phone because my data plan now is very cheap. I do not talk and text much so I just get a very basic plan that costs me less than $10 a month. If I get a smart phone the data plan will cost many times that.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 01:19   Link #19
HasuMasu
*Artist

I have a dumb-phone, not a big fan of phones in general, but my parents insisted.
Old 2011-12-24, 01:26   Link #20
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

My first phone seven years ago was Nokia's first 3G phone, 6630. I then changed to a dumb phone in 2006 and have been using it ever since, it is indestructible, I throw it on the floor every day I reach home.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote