AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

View Poll Results: Penguin Drum - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 15 23.08%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 24.62%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 29.23%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 18.46%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.08%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.54%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-30, 13:01   Link #101
Zaresh
Caperucita Roja

I think they are much less centered on Shouna and Ringo since episode 11 in fact. But this is really notable since episode 14.
Old 2011-10-30, 16:03   Link #102
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I hardly see how that is lowering herself. And it's not because she owes Shouma a debt, she doesn't owe him anything. She wants to stick by Shouma because she cares about him.
Of course she does, but Shouma pretends not to understand it. Hence the twisted expression and underlying I need youuuu~ she has to come with for Shouma to stop pushing her away.

Quote:
If you read the novel you would understand that Shouma himself thinks that being a house husband is all he is good at.
Sorry, sticking with the anime information since this is an anime only discussion thread. But the Shouma from the novel doesn't exactly sound like the anime one. He had plenty of occasions to make that kind of short remark those last 16 episode but he didn't...

Quote:
He didn't knock himself out with a bottle, it was No. 2 who left it there. Which might say something about Shouma's real problem is the turmoil in himself.
Penguin or not, that scene made him look pathetic. Might be his emotional struggle or whatever, but one sure thing : Shouma GAR lvl after ep14 -> minus 50pts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
So... are you a #1/Esmeralda shipper?
Esmeralda is made of win, especially when she molests #1 . So yes, more Esme#1 please.
Old 2011-10-30, 16:03   Link #103
YayPepsi

Quote:
Does any long-time anime fan seriously still get a "Wow, they're challenging taboos! How dramatic!" feeling from brother/sister incest in anime?
No, but that's not why I like them. I like them because I like the dynamics of their relationship. The incest is a part of that dynamic of course, but that's because of the way it effects Kanba's behavior, not because it's dramatic or taboo.

Different people find different things interesting. :P All the things you mentioned about Sho and Ringo's relationship are true, but I personally still find them boring. But that's just my opinion.
Old 2011-10-30, 16:14   Link #104
faburosumakusu

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayPepsi View Post

Different people find different things interesting. :P All the things you mentioned about Sho and Ringo's relationship are true, but I personally still find them boring. But that's just my opinion.
Although Ringo/Shouma is my favorite pairing and I have probably enjoyed the episodes that focus on them the most, I agree with that since I guess in the end it all comes down to personal preference.
Old 2011-10-30, 17:12   Link #105
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post
Of course she does, but Shouma pretends not to understand it. Hence the twisted expression and underlying I need youuuu~ she has to come with for Shouma to stop pushing her away.
But she never says I Need You. I don't think Ringo is desperate. Unless you think loving someone is desperate, well I don't.

And I don't think Shouma is pretending not to understand it, I think he really doesn't understand or he doesn't understand the depth that Ringo cares. Shouma is afraid to get close to her in that way because he thinks its pointless in the end.

If Ringo doesn't push him he will never understand.

Quote:
Sorry, sticking with the anime information since this is an anime only discussion thread. But the Shouma from the novel doesn't exactly sound like the anime one. He had plenty of occasions to make that kind of short remark those last 16 episode but he didn't...
And I am sorry for bringing up the novel but I think it gives a much deeper understanding of Shouma's character.

Novel Shouma and Anime Shouma are exactly the same character. The only thing that the novel does differently is it conveys Shouma's inner thoughts . This is a weakness of the anime that it cannot do this properly.

Quote:
Penguin or not, that scene made him look pathetic. Might be his emotional struggle or whatever, but one sure thing : Shouma GAR lvl after ep14 -> minus 50pts.
I guess I don't judge a character by GAR level. Besides this isn't that type of anime series. Shouma is interesting to me because of his inner struggle.

And well I think the fact that he tried does show something even if he failed in a pathetic way.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2011-10-30 at 20:37.
Old 2011-10-30, 17:22   Link #106
faburosumakusu

About elephants, this was the only thing I could find (poster in the back):

But I don't know what it says because I can't read japanese
Old 2011-10-30, 17:35   Link #107
YayPepsi

That's a cute elephant. XD Nice find! He looks like a superhero...which could tie into elephant dung helping the world.

There's also these elephants:
Old 2011-10-30, 21:23   Link #108
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Novel Shouma and Anime Shouma are exactly the same character. The only thing that the novel does differently is it conveys Shouma's inner thoughts . This is a weakness of the anime that it cannot do this properly.
But if they wanted to make his doubts apparent, they could have done so. They did it concerning his relation with Himari (for example in episode 15 when he thinks he has been to harsh with her). It's a shame they didn't do it earlier about his place and role in his family (if that's what it is about in the novel). That would have been interesting and maybe give more sense to his current self-loathing.
I understand you can't put everything from the novel into the anime but that's for me an unfortunate loss.
Old 2011-10-30, 21:43   Link #109
Kirarakim

Quote:
But if they wanted to make his doubts apparent, they could have done so. They did it concerning his relation with Himari (for example in episode 15 when he thinks he has been to harsh with her). It's a shame they didn't do it earlier about his place and role in his family (if that's what it is about in the novel). That would have been interesting and maybe give more sense to his current self-loathing.
I understand you can't put everything from the novel into the anime but that's for me an unfortunate loss.
The thing is Shouma's inner thoughts in the novel did come into play later in the anime. I am going to put this under a cut just in case (although there are no spoilers)

Spoiler for First Novel, No Spoilers:

And I am assuming you meant Ringo not Himari in episode 15. I am actually glad they showed that because yes it would have been hard to convey Shouma's guilt over that without showing the flashback and his inner thought. But I guess they feel if they do it too much it might get annoying. Those type of things only work in moderation.

Oh and I am not saying the novel is better than the anime. I just think each medium has its strengths.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2011-10-31 at 11:52.
Old 2011-10-30, 21:45   Link #110
Kazu-kun

Quote:
It really is. It's not that the story is different, but the characters' thoughts add quite a bit of extra depth to them (all the characters, not only Shouma, although he's the only one who gets first person treatment).
Old 2011-10-31, 04:25   Link #111
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Send a message via AIM to Hayamaneko
So if Masako's catchphrase came from wanting to kill her grandfather why does she use it to refer to Kanba as well. I also find it a bit funny how they show a clear parrelel between the grandfather and Masako with regards to the business. Maybe the Natsume curse is itself that need to be cold hearted people for the sake of the business (though Masako not so much).

lastly, I demand doujinshi or at least fan art of Masako's assistant. Get on it, Japan
Old 2011-10-31, 06:52   Link #112
Kirarakim

I don't think Masako was referring to Kanba, we just were supposed to assume that.

Now that we know her better I think it is obvious she is referring to Sanetoshi & the men in black. Although I wonder if she still meant her grandfather who was possessing Mario as well.
Old 2011-10-31, 20:41   Link #113
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Lesson learned: Never eat blowfish prepared by a noob.

Entertaining episode as usual. That survival strategy moment which was sorely missed was hillarious with the penguin queen trolling with a camera. Some delusions were too much for some to handle.

The Natsume flashbacks I felt were a bit too long but they drove the point home anyways. Esmeralda and the globe as well as the English was lol. And Shouma with Ringo is always fun to watch. Can Ringo change fate? I'll give it an 8.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-11-01, 02:03   Link #114
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

I don't even know where the story could go from here, I'm honestly at a loss after this episode. I can't hate a Masako-centric episode, it was developed really well, and balanced serious and comedic tones wonderfully, but story-wise, I'm gonna have to watch this again, cuz I'm confused.
Old 2011-11-01, 15:47   Link #115
kitten320

Lol at the camera part

Also... are they trying to get things back to the point before Momoka had changed anything? What means that Yuri will have to die at the young age?
Old 2011-11-01, 20:32   Link #116
SeaDoor

After mentally slogging through 16 episodes, I'm going to call it now...

If this damn series ends with the reunited Triple-H cruising off into the night
in a pink convertible, I'm gonna be pissed.

Old 2011-11-01, 20:38   Link #117
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoor View Post
If this damn series ends with the reunited Triple-H cruising off into the night
in a pink convertible, I'm gonna be pissed.
As long as the convertible isn't one of them turned into a car, I think it'll be ok.
Old 2011-11-01, 20:55   Link #118
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoor_fixed
If this damn series doesn't end with the reunited Triple-H cruising off into the night in a pink convertible, I'm gonna be pissed.
Fixed for you. Somebody was going to do it eventually. Also now that sounds like the best end possible to me.
Old 2011-11-01, 21:06   Link #119
Kirarakim

I'm not picky it doesn't have to be a pink convertible
Old 2011-11-02, 15:57   Link #120
Forsaken_Infinity

\(º_o)/

I want everyone to die O_O

Well, at least Himari. Because she is freaking dead to begin with. I don't want an ending that condones necromancy of any form because I think that human life is worth more respect than that. When someone dies, they should stay dead. Same applies to Mario.

Kanba is obviously going to pay with something dear - don't know what. He could be a cripple that is taken care of by Masako or something.

Shouma has such a negative approach to everything that I sincerely doubt he is going to have a fully happy ending. Ringo is a genuinely sweet girl who is probably going to take care of Shouma even though he is seriously messed up.

As for Double H - they already moved on with their life. At best, I want a tribute from them to Himari. Nothing more.
Closed Thread