AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-04, 04:00   Link #1
God of Peace

I'm looking for...

A series like Cross game. It's slow paced and has a lot of character development. The sport is interesting (although I know nothing about baseball) and dramatic. Also I really like how the romance isn't thrown in your face but develops with time. All the characters show depth and work well with the storyline, they aren't just 2- dimesional background characters. Are there any more recent anime like this one? Thanks.

P.S. aready deen toradora and the like.

God whispers in our pleasures, but shouts in our pain. Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. We cannot learn without pain. Because a man of pleasure is also a man of pains.
Old 2010-07-04, 04:47   Link #2
Divini
Senpai!

Plenty of slow-paced romances if you're willing to look around... these are off the top of my head:

Maison Ikkoku - They meet, and then 96 episodes
Mahoroba - Heartful Days - I really love the character development in this one. (with a twist) Read manga for full story.
Clannad - Main couple slowly but surely realize over time, that they can't live without the other. Just simply the best I've ever seen.
Kare Kano - This one is different as the main couple get together very early - however they have to face a mountain range of challenges before they can be happy, which takes a good chunk of the plot.
Lovely Complex - Kind of like Toradora! She likes someone and he likes someone... they work together to try to make it happen...
Nodame Cantabile
Kimi ni Todoke
Crest of the Stars - Not focused on the romance, but you can tell through their adventures that the main couple slowly realizes that they're destined for one another.

I'm sure others will post plenty of others to choose from.
Old 2010-07-04, 11:48   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

There really aren't too many shows like Cross Game - in terms of subtlety and depth of character development, it's in a very small class. The closest is probably Adachi's Touch, a much earlier precursor to CG.

I'm also going to recommend the very underrated Capeta, despite the fact that what little romance it has is extremely puppy-dog innocent. However, it's a 52-ep series with great character development - including an extremely likable male lead. The sports scenes are exciting and well-detailed.
Old 2010-07-04, 12:29   Link #4
Theowne
耳をすませば

I really don't think you will find many recent examples. Cross Game-type anime aren't very popular these days.

If you're willing to go a bit further back in time, then I will second two suggestions made previously, Maison Ikkoku and Touch. They both embody that same formula - follow a cast of likable characters over a long running time with gradual development of characters and relationships. If you don't mind a more...energetic...version, Kodomo no Omocha does a similar thing.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..

Last edited by Theowne; 2010-07-04 at 12:48.
Old 2010-07-06, 09:45   Link #5
God of Peace

Hi guys thanks for the replies. I have already seen these;

Clannad
Lovely Complex
Nodame Cantabile
Kimi ni Todoke
Crest of the Stars
Kare Kano
& Mahoroba - Heartful Days

-Nodame Cantabile seems to have classical music in it, which puts me to sleep.
-Maison ikkoku seems really old.

the ones I really like are Cross game, Kare Kano. BTW whta's Mahoroba?

God whispers in our pleasures, but shouts in our pain. Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. We cannot learn without pain. Because a man of pleasure is also a man of pains.
Old 2010-07-06, 10:07   Link #6
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I'll throw Tatami Galaxy in here. Each episode is essentially a self-contained story of sorts with a sort of cosmic reset at the end that literally animates the question "What if I lived my life differently in college?". Very much character driven show about a young man and his search for the Rose-Colored College Life.

Thing is it's only 11 episodes long and the pace in the beginning of the series starts slow and begins to speed up near the end. Damn find ending to the series too. It's a very cerebral and psychological series directed by the same director of Kaiba.

It's also tied for my top anime of 2009-2010 (No I have not abandoned you Komrades of Kitamura Kou)
Old 2010-07-06, 12:39   Link #7
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by God of Peace View Post
-Maison ikkoku seems really old.
It seems old because it is old. Like I said, the closest resemblance to the Cross Game formula is in these older series. Particularly Touch.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2010-07-06, 12:41   Link #8
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Tatami Galaxy is probably the antithesis to Cross Game, but i'd still recommend it because it's so God damn awesome.
Old 2010-07-06, 13:28   Link #9
Divini
Senpai!

Ai Yori Aoshi and Lamune might be enjoyable to you. Both of the romances develop at a fairly slow pace.

Also Love Hina, especially the full story of the manga.
Old 2010-07-06, 17:15   Link #10
God of Peace

Others I have seen or am currently watching;

School rumble (My favourite romance/comedy)
-Kimikiss pure rouge (Really liked it)
-Hatsukoi Ltd (Really liked this one as well)
-Love Hina
-Ai yori Aoshi
-Kimi ni todoke
-Sora no Manimani
(Really liked it)
-Ichigo 100%
-Myself;yourself
-Suzuka
(I really liked it. It had a calm slow paced feel like cross game. Interestingly, they both also have a sports theme)

Old 2010-07-08, 20:40   Link #11
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
So what if Maison Ikkoku is old, it's still a great romance story.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Closed Thread