AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-05-24, 14:47   Link #41
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I always love the episodes focused on Reiko, and this one was no exception. I wish we learned something new about her though. We still don't know her background (most likely similar to Natsume), how she met Madara and what her relationship with him was, how she met the father of her daughter, how she died, etc...
Old 2017-05-24, 14:59   Link #42
Dop
Mmmm....

It's always good when we get a bit more backstory on Reiko, and this story was particularly good on that count as it showed us a side of her we'd perhaps not seen before, and the way all the yokai came together to help her win the chestnut collecting competition was really good.

Natsume going to the wedding of the one Reiko had saved was truly a heartwarming moment.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-31, 00:56   Link #43
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep8:
Old 2017-05-31, 01:37   Link #44
Flower
In harmony with the flow

Annddd ... a follow up with another upbeat episode content wise. Two "happiness triumphs" episodes in a row in a Natsume season, eh? I actually found myself feeling the happiest for ... Natsume.

His life has been filled with such misery that its incredibly heartwarming for me to see him stumble across such content. ^^

Also ... Kaoru! Uwah. Tough! Did you see Nyanko-sensei's face?!
Old 2017-05-31, 11:14   Link #45
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Indeed, it was great to have another episode that ends well. Although as Aoi himself stated, this will end in tears eventually. Natsume pondered who would be the one shedding those tears, and I believe the answer is both of them.
Old 2017-05-31, 22:47   Link #46
BPD Renegade

After so many stories dealing with separation and impermanence, it was nice having another one with a "happy" ending where the human and ayakashi remain together, however brief and bittersweet it will later be. I'm glad Natsume got to see this and of what he noted at the end. The self-questioning about whether one day he too will come to care for someone to that extent is yet another step on his journey of growth and self-discovery.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-31, 22:50   Link #47
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

A happy episode with underlying bitterness. As Aoi said, does Kaoru truly grasp the full implication of what their relationship will mean? Kaoru is still young and in love but I wonder if she really thought about how her life will be with Aoi? Will she be able to endure living in the human world with someone whom no one else can see? In the end, Aoi will be the one to suffer the most - either when she leaves him because she finds she cannot endure the hardship such a relationship will bring or her life ends in time. I guess I wonder if it's the right thing to make someone you love suffer like that in the future just to be happy with them now? Also, I wonder if Yokai and human can produce offspring in Natsume's world? I mean having children may help soften Aoi's suffering later on when Kaoru is no longer there.

...and Daisuke Ono as Aoi...(what's with Ono always voicing hot guys?)

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-02, 01:03   Link #48
HandofFate

good old fashioned Natsume episode this week.
Old 2017-06-07, 05:56   Link #49
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

The last episode is a bit ironic coming shortly after Aoi's and Kaoru's episode. The Goddess' fate gives us a glimpse of what Aoi will be going through in the future after Kaoru passes away.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2017-06-07, 11:58   Link #50
Flower
In harmony with the flow

I seem to remember reading this week's episode in the source manga, and enjoyjng it there as well, but the overall impact of the anime episode seemed more ... gentle and melancholic whereas the manga for some reason stand sout in my memory as a more detailed and "otherworldly" story somehow. Hmm ... kinda makes me wanna go back and check the aource again.
Old 2017-06-07, 15:43   Link #51
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
The last episode is a bit ironic coming shortly after Aoi's and Kaoru's episode. The Goddess' fate gives us a glimpse of what Aoi will be going through in the future after Kaoru passes away.
I was thinking exactly the same thing! I don't know if the chapters were ordered that way in the manga, but I'm pretty sure the anime staff did that on purpose.

It looks like the season will end with the conclusion of the Natori and the book of friends subplot (I doubt it'll be resolved in one episode).
Old 2017-06-07, 16:34   Link #52
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It looks like the season will end with the conclusion of the Natori and the book of friends subplot (I doubt it'll be resolved in one episode).
Yes, it looks like a two-parter to close the season out.

At one point, Taki was the only human close to Natsume who knew about the book. Tanuma didn't. Is that still the case?
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-14, 22:10   Link #53
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

I've been suspicious of Natori for a while now but this episode made me realize just how sneaky Natori truly is - even more so than Matoba. For example, Natori always starts by saying that he doesn't want to involve Natsume in exorcist business but often (if not always) ends in asking for Natsume's help. It's a sneaky way of hooking someone in but still sound like you're concerned for them. The second thing is when he paired Hiiragi with Natsume. Natori knows that Hiiragi and Natsume share a special friendship that his other 2 familiars don't. He used Hiiragi to try to pry information about the book of friends out of Natsume, and to an extent it worked. Thirdly, if Natori truly considered Natsume as his friend, then he wouldn't be sneaking around behind his back trying to glean information about the book of friends. He should confront Natsume directly about it, just like how Tanuma treats Natsume.

Natori plays the part of a concerned and considerate friend but his speeches are all designed to capture Natsume's sympathy, allegiance (i.e. our goals are the same - for the good of society), and trust. All of Natori's gentle speeches have now accomplished his goal; Natsume will reveal to him what he seeks about the Book of Friends next episode.

Having said all that, being sneaky doesn't necessarily mean Natori is the bad guy...but he may not be the good guy either. We can only hope he's sneaky by nature but his intentions are in the right place. It will certainly break Natsume's heart greatly if Natori betrayed him. But then I recall that Matoba mentioned something along the line that Natsume should be more cautious of Natori than himself? (or is my memory making things up?)

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2017-06-15, 12:00   Link #54
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm really hoping Natsume will be able to convey how important the book of friends is to him and that Natori will understand. There's no doubt Natori is quite sneaky, but I think he is trying to look out for Natsume in his own misguided way.

I've always pictured Natori as the person Natsume would have become if he had never met Nyanko-sensei and his many friends, so he can't be that bad deep down.
Old 2017-06-15, 12:43   Link #55
seiftis
~defying fate

Natori may be the bad guy, but i really can't imagine Hiiragi betraying or hurting Natsume now.
Old 2017-06-15, 13:16   Link #56
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

If I was going to have Natori try to take the book away, I'd arrange things so that all of Natsume's youkai friends heard about it and came running to support him (can't you imagine Hinoe and the mid-levels with torches and pitchforks?), and at that point Natori would give up because he realized Natsume was in good hands.

That's how I'd write it, but it looks like they're going to take a different route.
Old 2017-06-20, 17:39   Link #57
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Today is the last broadcast episode, right?

Can someone refresh my memory on any plans for OVAs? I thought there were a couple in the works.
Old 2017-06-20, 19:34   Link #58
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Any hope for another season???? I will be so sad if there isn't another season.

How's the show doing in Japan?

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2017-06-20, 21:46   Link #59
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Today is the last broadcast episode, right?

Can someone refresh my memory on any plans for OVAs? I thought there were a couple in the works.
There are two planned. One of them is a sequel to the excellent (anime-original) "Yuki no Hi" OVA from a few years back.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-21, 01:17   Link #60
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

^ Thanks for the info!

Meanwhile...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
Any hope for another season???? I will be so sad if there isn't another season.
Well, I can't see them throwing in a whopping big new mystery - who's the guy the dragon knew who looked like Natsume? - in the last ten minutes of the last episode unless they were pretty confident about coming back.

Tags
exorcist, manga to anime, supernatural, youkai