AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-11-12, 08:59   Link #1
lum

how to unbind a hardcover book

i recently got a hardcover artwork book for one piece, and would love to make some posters out of it. but i figured unless i get the pages out perfectly, the picture won't meet. this is similar to when reading manga, u never see the bits closest to the spine.
however, i realised when reading scanlations, there's never this problem, only possible if the spine was removed and each page scanned flat individually. I was wondering if unbinding it was a simple task or I shouldn't waste money on buying an artwork book (around A4 in size) just to ruin it and not get any decent pictures out of it.

Thanks!
lum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 09:09   Link #2
Thingle
Banned

Hardbound books are usually stitched together (don't know if it still is). Try ripping out the spine's cover and pick off the thread.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 22:07   Link #3
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Before that I would like to know 2 things.

1. Is it sewed on like most hard back?
2. Is it not sewed on?

---

I have never tried to removed pages for a hard cover book with sewed pages, before. But you can probably try a method I use for uncoupling my books. I'll assume that this book is sewed ok? I cannot give you any advice how to remove the yarn used for the sewing other than cutting them. The few other ways to get pages out of books are these. But also, you never stated if you wanted the image for just like a poster to be like stapled to the wall or did you want to scan it. Either way you still want it out of the book so here's some methods you can try.

If it's a book without sewing, they you can skip the entire paragraph above

This is what I used. - The Hair Dryer Method

~~~

The second way to scan books are overhead scanner, which cost an arm and a leg due to their usages in only business and private homes.

Another cheaper much more affordable method is to use a camera with a still base to take pictures of the page. Don't forget that adequate lighting is necessary for picture scanning (or what I call it ^^). Don't use those yellow incandescent, as they ruin the color of the photo. Fluorescent are best when it's night and you don't have white light from the sun.

ps: For me, I haven't tired method 3 yet. But make sure you camera can "actually" take pictures in the resolution you want. My camera goes up to 4700x3300 or so. This is with my Canon.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.

Last edited by Aoie_Emesai; 2008-11-12 at 22:28.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 22:17   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I thought that the hardcore scanlators took the book and then took a very thin blade (like an exacto knife), laid the book open, and then ran the blade down the middle. I'm not positive that's how everyone does it, but I don't see why it shouldn't work nicely. Of course the pages won't be bound together anymore at the end of it, but for scanlators that's a bit of sacrifice for the greater good, I suppose.