AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2014-12-02, 13:50   Link #1121
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

I......kinda like power levels :|

And I predict that next chapter that Diamond rank dude will actually beat at least one of the Sins. Doesn't make sense to introduce these guys just to have them get destroyed with ease.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-02, 14:24   Link #1122
Mikethemaster

Location: Celebrating that Naruhina is cannon! :D Oh were I live Evansville Indiana
I don't like power level things it takes away from the character power and strength when add that but I guess he added it in si people won't start bitching about who stronger like in fairy tail right. beast chapter for medliodas
Old 2014-12-02, 15:48   Link #1123
Slayerx

A pretty terrible chapter. Its just seems like such a pointless conflict and a waste of time, and it sets up a very tried power level system.

The problem with power levels is that they tend to make the power of the characters seem like BS. Shonen series have a tendency to suffer from power creep where every fight needs to be bigger and better than the last. If left unchecked this can lead to the characters just getting ridiculously powerful with ridiculous boosts to give reason for how they can overcome those enemies. What power levels end up doing is that they take that ridiculousness and give you a numerical score that just makes it all the more obvious how ridiculous it all is.

Frankly, its much better to leave it vague... people might argue over who is stronger, but so what? Not to mention that any inconsistency in the power levels can be seen as something as a plot hole.
Old 2014-12-02, 15:59   Link #1124
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
A pretty terrible chapter. Its just seems like such a pointless conflict and a waste of time, and it sets up a very tried power level system.

The problem with power levels is that they tend to make the power of the characters seem like BS. Shonen series have a tendency to suffer from power creep where every fight needs to be bigger and better than the last. If left unchecked this can lead to the characters just getting ridiculously powerful with ridiculous boosts to give reason for how they can overcome those enemies. What power levels end up doing is that they take that ridiculousness and give you a numerical score that just makes it all the more obvious how ridiculous it all is.

Frankly, its much better to leave it vague... people might argue over who is stronger, but so what? Not to mention that any inconsistency in the power levels can be seen as something as a plot hole.

IMO the power levels will probably end up as something like this.
1. Melodias
2. ban
3. Diane
4. Gowther
5. Merlin
6. King

I dont have escanor because of the fact that we havent met him yet. I put King so low because most of his power if not all of it comes from his treasure and not from him. Merlin i put low because of her magic. But these are all my opinions and i dont expect you to agree with them which is fine

Im the current vice-general of the DxD Army (aka the translators army.
We support translators efforts and i do not tolerate impatience by people waiting for translations

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6980252/ This is my fanfiction page i have 6 stories to check out if you guys are interested
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-02, 16:18   Link #1125
Wandering Soul

Can't say I enjoyed this chapter at all. The conflict seems pretty pointless and I really don't like the introduction of power levels.
Old 2014-12-02, 16:39   Link #1126
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I suppose nobody likes them power levels except Randrak xD Well, I don't really mind because they don't reeeeally mean anything - it's just a monster's way of perceiving an enemy's batte capacity...and I highly doubt the characters would take such readings seriously.

That being said, it really was kind of a waste of a chapter, such pointless fighting when there is so much plot left to unfold.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-02, 16:58   Link #1127
homohominilupus

His power level,it's over 3000!!!
Because 9000 is too mainstream
homohominilupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-02, 17:04   Link #1128
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

So if someone with 3370+1 comes in suddenly mel bites the dust >.>
Old 2014-12-02, 17:57   Link #1129
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
But yeah I agree the chapter itself was pretty pointless. Ok we get it Merlin is really focused on Hawk for some reason. But still the best thing next week can do is have someone step on that scouter and break it.

Power levels just doesn't make sense with the creativity of the abilities here. Meliodas isn't just powerful because he has high stats. How he makes use of his counter ability will change whether he wins or loses. The same for any of them really.
Old 2014-12-02, 18:04   Link #1130
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialFlameGod8190 View Post
I dont have escanor because of the fact that we havent met him yet. I put King so low because most of his power if not all of it comes from his treasure and not from him. Merlin i put low because of her magic. But these are all my opinions and i dont expect you to agree with them which is fine
you are neglecting that the power level also takes into account magical ability; strength measures physical ability, while power measures the magical. Merlin and King would score low in strength but they would probably both score fairly high in power. Mel, Ban and Diane will rank the highest in Strength, while Merlin, King and Gwother will rank the highest in power.

The odd stat out is spirit, which i guess you could sorta think as something like stamina in the sense that determination is what drives one to keep on fighting. Mel easily wins out in that regard; bit tougher to call the others

Quote:
Power levels just doesn't make sense with the creativity of the abilities here. Meliodas isn't just powerful because he has high stats. How he makes use of his counter ability will change whether he wins or loses. The same for any of them really.
indeed... i mean how exactly does the power level take into account Ban's immortality? That ability makes him pretty hard to stop. I guess i might get lumped in with magical ability, but it does feel like things can be thrown off by abilities. Not to mention that we've been told the sins are stronger with their treasures, so how does that factor in... Is King only counted as he is on his own, or do they factor in his weapon?
Old 2014-12-02, 19:31   Link #1131
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

I liked the power level introduction. I have this DBZ nostalgia here.

Also, this chapter was extremely hilarious for me. Hawk's power level X 100. That almost made me ROFL.

Either way, this was an interesting chapter.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-02, 21:21   Link #1132
dazo
english for dummies 2 ed.

power level, eh?
...great....now, every "vs" discussion is going to end in numbers discussion...

...good bye, tactical discussions...

seriously..what was the point of this chapter.....not even the political plot was relevant...good material ..wasted ( i just want to see "camelot" )

Quote:
So if someone with 3370+1 comes in suddenly mel bites the dust >.>
yep

*its a joke*

so, mel in super demon mode is going to be over 9000
Old 2014-12-02, 22:35   Link #1133
Random14

Ugh, they literally introduced a scouter? And its not even just a general number, there are categories for it? Wonder how long until we find out that those power levels can go up and down?

With various other directions to go in, Mel fighting random mooks (even if it is still slightly fun to see Mel beating them up easily) is one of the least interesting ideas.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-02, 23:52   Link #1134
marvelB

Already indicated as much in the spoilers, but I just wanna echo everyone else who aren't too happy about the introduction of power levels. Suzuki's previous series about super-powered school gang leaders didn't have 'em, so why should the Arthurian-based one include it? Save that crap for DB and Kinnikuman, I say! And.... I guess RPGs, too!

That being said, I actually did enjoy seeing Mel kick that Ban wannabe's ass (forgot his name already, sorry). And I kinda wish the midget guy was the leader of that group....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-03, 03:35   Link #1135
ChuckE
Provoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
indeed... i mean how exactly does the power level take into account Ban's immortality? That ability makes him pretty hard to stop. I guess i might get lumped in with magical ability, but it does feel like things can be thrown off by abilities. Not to mention that we've been told the sins are stronger with their treasures, so how does that factor in... Is King only counted as he is on his own, or do they factor in his weapon?
Power levels bring neglect of abilities. It's basically became irrelevant what ability does character have if his power level is low.
Old 2014-12-03, 16:15   Link #1136
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckE View Post
Power levels bring neglect of abilities. It's basically became irrelevant what ability does character have if his power level is low.

Also see: Krillin's Kienzan/Destructo Disc from DB.

Actually, I also forgot to bring up Toriko as another series I follow that has power levels. Though at least in that series the levels only apply for monsters and special preparation ingredients, not the human characters, heh.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-03, 17:14   Link #1137
ChuckE
Provoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Also see: Krillin's Kienzan/Destructo Disc from DB.

Actually, I also forgot to bring up Toriko as another series I follow that has power levels. Though at least in that series the levels only apply for monsters and special preparation ingredients, not the human characters, heh.
Krillin became irrelevant after Picolo's son first appearance arc

But the fundamental difference is exactly that there are levels for monster but not for main characters.
For example imagine comparison of Zebra vs Toriko now, and if we'd known their power levels(for example 700 vs 900 or 900 vs 700).
Old 2014-12-04, 08:37   Link #1138
Mikethemaster

Location: Celebrating that Naruhina is cannon! :D Oh were I live Evansville Indiana
Power level will become irrelevent like in most in about 30 chapters because power level mean shit dbz after freeza arc.
Old 2014-12-04, 08:46   Link #1139
Diamond English

I love power levels. Logic doesn't matter. All that matters is the exposition of numbers, the aura of power and the gasps that come with it from characters. Point is as long as the characters care about PL then as a reader, to some degree I'm gonna care.
Diamond English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-06, 14:56   Link #1140
Strigoi-rex

This chapter was pretty disappointing. It just felt like more build up for Mel's strength when we've already been building it up for a hundred chapters. I was really hoping for some actual plot to progress and fighting fodder is pretty pointless in my opinion. :/
Strigoi-rex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, romance, shounen