AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2013-05-10, 13:55   Link #881
hai_san

IF Gainax ever need funds they will just make a rebuild of rebuild ... there are plenty of stuff inbetween the 14y to make a movie or several of them... anybody know Starwars?
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 10:50   Link #882
karumofin

So I finally got around to watching this.
I have to say I'm impressed on some level. Instead of "more bigger better" like the last movie, which at times fell flat on its face, it really took its time for atmosphere and character development. Not much happened, but for that, it is a better movie imo. For all the changes, I am truly surprised of how closely the whole tone of the movie stuck to the original series. Emotionally, it is almost identical, dealing with the exact same themes, in a very different setting. So while everyone was different, it still felt eerily familiar, a very powerfull execution.
Im looking forward to the next movie, I enjoyed this one, mission accomplished, I'd say.
karumofin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 11:41   Link #883
arkxkra
全力全開

I completely can't link up with the 2.0 event, make me so confuse and keep questioning "what happen", the 14 years gaps was too big, seriously need more info on it.

3.0 definitely thrown out more question, and I don't think it will be answer.

too little Rei moment, I need more

---
next 4.0 ending might end up Shinji wake up, all this just another of his dream (just saying).
Old 2013-05-14, 14:32   Link #884
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karumofin View Post
So I finally got around to watching this.
I have to say I'm impressed on some level. Instead of "more bigger better" like the last movie, which at times fell flat on its face, it really took its time for atmosphere and character development. Not much happened, but for that, it is a better movie imo. For all the changes, I am truly surprised of how closely the whole tone of the movie stuck to the original series. Emotionally, it is almost identical, dealing with the exact same themes, in a very different setting. So while everyone was different, it still felt eerily familiar, a very powerfull execution.
Im looking forward to the next movie, I enjoyed this one, mission accomplished, I'd say.
I am inclined to agree in general, the movie itself (ignoring unfounded/ridiculous expectations) was OK, if not good, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkxkra View Post
I completely can't link up with the 2.0 event, make me so confuse and keep questioning "what happen", the 14 years gaps was too big, seriously need more info on it.

3.0 definitely thrown out more question, and I don't think it will be answer.

too little Rei moment, I need more

---
next 4.0 ending might end up Shinji wake up, all this just another of his dream (just saying).
... obviously, there was some double thinking, about all you viewers that want to know what the hell happened in those 14 years, right ?$?$?
Old 2013-05-18, 12:36   Link #885
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Okay, apart from the "I decided I hated this movie before it came out. I formulated reasons why I hated it. Those reasons didn't wash, so I then created NEW reasons why I hated this movie... still BEFORE I watched it," here's what I took from your review...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
stuff
Dude, check the Amazon "one-star" reviews for "The End of Evangelion."

Everything you complained about in this movie is there, from characters regressing, to raising questions with no answers. Seriously, I could do a point-by-point match-up from your review to their reviews of EoE.

http://www.amazon.com/Neon-Genesis-E...owViewpoints=0
Old 2013-05-18, 12:59   Link #886
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Also: I don't really understand all this "ANNO IS ONLY IN IT FOR MONEY" BS.

First, how much money is there to be made in anime these days, with people like Reckoner never buying a single thing off of Rebuild, but still saying it's a cash-grab...?

Second, tell me what's easier money... simply redoing a story one has already told, or throwing out that story and PAYING PEOPLE REAL MONEY to create a new story?

Third, EVERY SINGLE PERSON in Tokyo seems to have a One-Piece T-shirt. Sunrise (AKA Bandai) creates new Gundams faster (it seems) than the population of Japan is growing. And yet, no one gets on their cases for merchandising. Nor do they get on Pokemon's case. But Eva... yeah, that series that had a 26-episode series in 1995-96, two movies in '97, and some remakes starting in 2007... THAT'S where we all draw the line. It's all about the MONEY!! Unlike One-Piece, or Gundam, or Pokemon, where it's all about ART... Am I right about that?
Old 2013-05-18, 13:21   Link #887
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Okay, apart from the "I decided I hated this movie before it came out. I formulated reasons why I hated it. Those reasons didn't wash, so I then created NEW reasons why I hated this movie... still BEFORE I watched it," here's what I took from your review...

Everything you complained about in this movie is there, from characters regressing, to raising questions with no answers. Seriously, I could do a point-by-point match-up from your review to their reviews of EoE.

Nope, don't see it. First of all, I never complained about characters regressing. Second, the questions I had were about Anno's intentions in Rebuild. I never was left out of the loop in EoE.

Quote:
Also: I don't really understand all this "ANNO IS ONLY IN IT FOR MONEY" BS.

First, how much money is there to be made in anime these days, with people like Reckoner never buying a single thing off of Rebuild, but still saying it's a cash-grab...?

Second, tell me what's easier money... simply redoing a story one has already told, or throwing out that story and PAYING PEOPLE REAL MONEY to create a new story?
This much:

Evangelion Shin Gekijouban Q EVANGELION:3.33 YOU CAN (NOT) REDO. (Movie) 143,905+347,049=490,954 (Gainax/FUNimation)
2013/04/24 143,905
2013/04/24 347,049

Quote:
Third, EVERY SINGLE PERSON in Tokyo seems to have a One-Piece T-shirt. Sunrise (AKA Bandai) creates new Gundams faster (it seems) than the population of Japan is growing. And yet, no one gets on their cases for merchandising. Nor do they get on Pokemon's case. But Eva... yeah, that series that had a 26-episode series in 1995-96, two movies in '97, and some remakes starting in 2007... THAT'S where we all draw the line. It's all about the MONEY!! Unlike One-Piece, or Gundam, or Pokemon, where it's all about ART... Am I right about that?
Big time shonen shows, gundam, and even pokemon get railed against all the time for this, so no idea what you're talking about.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 13:31   Link #888
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
but it's even more annoying that he decides to backpedal with his character all of a sudden.
Huh.

Quote:
Nope, don't see it. First of all, I never complained about characters regressing.
Huh. Really? Please explain how "regress" is different from "backpedal."
Old 2013-05-18, 13:34   Link #889
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Huh.

Huh. Really? Please explain how "regress" is different from "backpedal."
Because a large amount of the defenses for 2.0 were centered around "Anno trying to go in a different, happier direction for the franchise" than NGE. Apparently this is not the case, hence why I find it annoying.
Old 2013-05-18, 14:03   Link #890
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Because a large amount of the defenses for 2.0 were centered around "Anno trying to go in a different, happier direction for the franchise" than NGE. Apparently this is not the case, hence why I find it annoying.
Well, that's what you get for believing internet commentators (who ALSO never bought the actual DVD or Blu-Ray)... still, nothing to do with the actual production.

EDIT: And you still didn't answer my question... what's the difference between "regress" (which you said you DIDN'T say) and "backpedal" (which you said)?
Old 2013-05-18, 14:18   Link #891
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Well, that's what you get for believing internet commentators (who ALSO never bought the actual DVD or Blu-Ray)... still, nothing to do with the actual production.

EDIT: And you still didn't answer my question... what's the difference between "regress" (which you said you DIDN'T say) and "backpedal" (which you said)?
A character regressing is more about how he kind of goes back and forth. He gains confidence, but then he ends up losing confidence. Shinji in Rebuild did indeed regress in 3.0 after his decision at the end of 2.0, but that's not what bothered me. What bothered me is that Anno seems to be backpedaling with his direction of the story. At first rebuild seems like a much more generic and optimistic version of Evangelion, now Anno decides to crush Shinji's character for reasons I'm not quite sure of. If he's ultimately going to the same place as NGE, why not just remake the original? This story is nowhere near as good as the original. At least then it'd be a money grab I can enjoy. It'd just be NGE in movie quality and I'd buy it.
Old 2013-05-18, 14:25   Link #892
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
A character regressing is more about how he kind of goes back and forth. He gains confidence, but then he ends up losing confidence. Shinji in Rebuild did indeed regress in 3.0 after his decision at the end of 2.0, but that's not what bothered me. What bothered me is that Anno seems to be backpedaling with his direction of the story. At first rebuild seems like a much more generic and optimistic version of Evangelion, now Anno decides to crush Shinji's character for reasons I'm not quite sure of. If he's ultimately going to the same place as NGE, why not just remake the original? This story is nowhere near as good as the original. At least then it'd be a money grab I can enjoy. It'd just be NGE in movie quality and I'd buy it.
But YOU DIDN'T LIKE 2.0...

Maybe Anno just listened to your criticism and accepted it...? And you get on his case for it? Man, that's crappy.

And if you thought Shinji "manned up" too much in 2.0 (and for ANYONE who thought he "manned up" more than he did in the series), I advise watching Episode 19 (which you, Reckoner, have clearly not seen, and SHOULD!), where he shouts out, "I'm the pilot EVA-01! SHINJI IKARI!!"

EDIT: Oh, and since you mention "money grab," you didn't answer my question about that, either.
Old 2013-05-18, 14:32   Link #893
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
But YOU DIDN'T LIKE 2.0...

Maybe Anno just listened to your criticism and accepted it...? And you get on his case for it? Man, that's crappy.

And if you thought Shinji "manned up" too much in 2.0 (and for ANYONE who thought he "manned up" more than he did in the series), I advise watching Episode 19 (which you, Reckoner, have clearly not seen, and SHOULD!), where he shouts out, "I'm the pilot EVA-01! SHINJI IKARI!!"
I expect if he's truly going for something different, to stick with it. Sure I'll hate it for what it is, but at least it has a goddamn point to it, even if I disagree with it. Here I can't see any point since 3.0 is divoriced from the style of the previous rebuild films, much less the TV series.

And please don't compare episode 19 to that piece of trash at the end of 2.0. Totally different feeling, mood, and impact. Shinji decided to pilot in 2.0 because he had a hardon for Ayanami and the scene felt like something out of gurren lagann. Completely different from episode 19.

Quote:
EDIT: Oh, and since you mention "money grab," you didn't answer my question about that, either.
The story is directionless. There's no point to Rebuild that I can decipher. I can only guess he made it for money since I don't believe Anno is this talentless.
Old 2013-05-18, 14:43   Link #894
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
I expect if he's truly going for something different, to stick with it. Sure I'll hate it for what it is, but at least it has a goddamn point to it, even if I disagree with it. Here I can't see any point since 3.0 is divoriced from the style of the previous rebuild films, much less the TV series.
OMG! Eva is going in a COMPLETELY UNEXPECTED DIRECTION!!! That's so totally different from the TV series, which was predictable from start to finish!!

Quote:
And please don't compare episode 19 to that piece of trash at the end of 2.0. Totally different feeling, mood, and impact. Shinji decided to pilot in 2.0 because he had a hardon for Ayanami and the scene felt like something out of gurren lagann. Completely different from episode 19.
Oh, sorry. I thought you disliked the ending of the movie because Shinji was decisive. Of course, you never said anything to that effect. My apologies.

Quote:
The story is directionless. There's no point to Rebuild that I can decipher. I can only guess he made it for money since I don't believe Anno is this talentless.
Cry, cry... "I can't decipher this!!"

Welcome to Evangelion, noob.

And you're STILL avoiding my questions. How much money does Anno stand to gain by completely changing the story? I'd love to know.
Old 2013-05-18, 14:54   Link #895
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
OMG! Eva is going in a COMPLETELY UNEXPECTED DIRECTION!!! That's so totally different from the TV series, which was predictable from start to finish!!
It's not about being unpredictable, it's about it being senseless. Things happen because the plot demands it rather than it being a sensible outcome of what it preceded it.

Quote:
Oh, sorry. I thought you disliked the ending of the movie because Shinji was decisive. Of course, you never said anything to that effect. My apologies.
I did criticize it for making Shinji come off like a generic shonen protagonist. That's basically about it.

Quote:
Cry, cry... "I can't decipher this!!"

Welcome to Evangelion, noob.

And you're STILL avoiding my questions. How much money does Anno stand to gain by completely changing the story? I'd love to know.
Deciphering the plot elements and deciphering Anno's intentions are completely different. I was never all that confused about Anno's intentions in Evangelion. The confusing plot details is a whole other matter.

And Anno stands to make a lot of money by turning Evangelion into a senseless action fest. It's more generic, more approachable and a whole lot of eye candy. Slap on the name of one the biggest anime franchises in existence and you got a hit movie. Congrats.
Old 2013-05-18, 14:56   Link #896
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:

Hah, comparing EoE is this. Oi.

All that you have shown here is that EoE was controversial and that opinions differed widely. And the same is here too. It doesn't mean they are related in any given way though. It's fine to say that this movie would be YMMV but this is self evident. It would be better to discuss the movie itself, since these won't be the first or last movies to have such polarizing opinions.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 15:05   Link #897
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Hah, comparing EoE is this. Oi.

All that you have shown here is that EoE was controversial and that opinions differed widely. And the same is here too. It doesn't mean they are related in any given way though. It's fine to say that this movie would be YMMV but this is self evident. It would be better to discuss the movie itself, since these won't be the first or last movies to have such polarizing opinions.
I already discussed the movie. I thought it was really good. The best of Rebuild.

But I apologize for not forming my opinions before I saw the movie, as you and Reckoner did. And I also apologize for asking inconvenient questions, that you and Reckoner have yet to answer.
Old 2013-05-18, 15:28   Link #898
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
I already discussed the movie. I thought it was really good. The best of Rebuild.

But I apologize for not forming my opinions before I saw the movie, as you and Reckoner did. And I also apologize for asking inconvenient questions, that you and Reckoner have yet to answer.
Hey, sometimes expectations can be overturned. Turns out they were, just not in a positive manner.

Also, I have answered your questions and you keep ignoring me. If you feel they didn't correctly explain myself, tell me why.
Old 2013-05-18, 15:33   Link #899
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Hey, sometimes expectations can be overturned. Turns out they were, just not in a positive manner.
You're still echoing the one-star EoE reviews...

Quote:
Also, I have answered your questions and you keep ignoring me. If you feel they didn't correctly explain myself, tell me why.
Oh, I'm sorry. You answered my question about how creating an entirely new story is more cost-effective (SINCE ANNO'S ALL ABOUT TEH MONEYZZ!!!) than simply regurgitating an old story...? Link, please.
Old 2013-05-28, 16:05   Link #900
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Several recent posts have been deleted. More will be removed if people don't chill out and move on from this argument.

Tags
evangelion, remake