AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-07, 13:22   Link #1
the_turtle

Question Robot/human love themed mangas or animes?

Hi folks

I was wondering if you can help me here.First let me explain what iīm looking for.
Iīm a fan of The Sara Connor Chronicles but especially about the relationship between John Connor and Cameron Phillips.They share a special relationship.Some people like me think they are in love.Now she is a Terminator.So here is my request...do you know a manga,anime or whatever that is similar or in the same vein? I mean a romantic relationship between a human and a robot.It doesnīt have to be the center of the story.If itīs just a part thats fine with me.
Old 2009-01-07, 13:57   Link #2
coren

El Hazard: The Magnificent World for sure.

Some others I haven't watched but think have this: Chobits, Mahoromatic, Real Drive, Steel Angel Kurumi(?).

There are probably lots more.
Old 2009-01-07, 14:34   Link #3
MuraKami
Phase Angle

Maybe older classic cyborg/android series like Battle Angel Alita and the Armitage III series, and although "proxies" are not exactly mechanical, thinks you might really like Ergo Proxy.
Old 2009-01-07, 15:21   Link #4
jedinat

Boku no Marie (there's both an anime and manga)
Eve no Jikan - I don't know that any romance will involve the main character, but there has been a bit of side-character romance... and the anime is just very good in its depiction of AI
Hand Maid May
Karakuri Odetto
Brigadoon - something of a romance between a mecha/robot guy and a young girl... interesting considering the fact that he doesn't look human in the least.
Old 2009-01-07, 15:32   Link #5
Autumn Demon
~

Da Capo II (in the first Da Capo series the robot's role is minor)
To Heart (in To Heart 2 the robot's role is minor)

Both probably not as romantic as you would like.
Old 2009-01-07, 18:54   Link #6
Arkhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Demon View Post
Da Capo II (in the first Da Capo series the robot's role is minor)
To Heart (in To Heart 2 the robot's role is minor)

Both probably not as romantic as you would like.
A Robot in "To Heart" ?! It is the last anime I would expect to have a robot in. Well, perhaps the last would be "Versailles no Bara". xD

I'll second chobits, it's exactly what you're looking for. Be advised that the robot is a loli-robot though, and that it contains a strong comedy component. But I liked it a lot.
Old 2009-01-08, 07:38   Link #7
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

What, no Metropolis?

Based on a manga by Osamu Tezuka, directed by Rintaro, written by Katsuhiro Otomo and animated by Madhouse, this is a beauty of a film. Granted, some people may be turned off by the designs, but honestly... if you don't like Tezuka, what are you doing watching anime?

Old 2009-01-08, 07:43   Link #8
Kitsune
九尾の狐
*Artist

Robot/human Love?

Then it must be Chobits
Old 2009-01-08, 09:10   Link #9
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Chobits.

And for some reason, Suzumiya Haruhi No Yuutsu, because Yuki is an artificial human. And that term = robot.
Old 2009-01-08, 10:26   Link #10
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
Chobits is the obvious choice.

The first season of Da Capo (the others are kinda Da Crap). Miharu Amakase is substituted by an android. Her (the android's) moments were quite touching to me.

Another good one you may wanna check is Key the Metal Idol. It's an OVA about a robot named Key that can become human with the help of 30,000 friends that she must make before her battery runs down.
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
Old 2009-01-08, 11:39   Link #11
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Oh, yeah, I forgot to recommend Key. That's one great series, as well. So, that's seconded.

Old 2009-01-08, 14:19   Link #12
zareba

Mahoromatic

It is about human boys and their relationships to one or several android girls. Include the classical types of character and ecchi comedy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahoromatic

Saber Marionette J

It starts out with a jovial, buoyant atmosphere scattered in with some ecchi moments, but later on shed its masks in favor of a more sci-fi, multi-layered story. It deals with the lifelong question on the difference between humans and machines, and gives out fascinating answers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saber_Marionette_J

My Dear Marie (OVA)

Hiroshi Karigari is a mad scientist, is in love with the beautiful tennis star Marie, and is incredibly lonely. So lonely, in fact, that he decides to create his own robotic version of Marie to enjoy for his own! Though she is content, at first, with assuming the role of Hiroshi’s “brother”, Marie soon finds that she wants him as more than a friend… but difficulties await! From childhood rivals to the affections of the human Marie, plenty of obstacles lie in the path of romance. Will machine or human love win the affections of the bumbling Hiroshi? Only time will tell…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Dear_Marie
Old 2009-01-14, 13:59   Link #13
the_turtle

Thumbs up

First of all i apologize for taking so long in responding.Thanks a lot for the help.
Iīll be sure to check all of those animes you recommended.

To tell you the truth before posting this thread i was expecting to be mocked or ridiculized and several links of that futurama scene called īīdonīt date robotsīī posted as responses.Thanks alot for the serious responses.
Old 2009-01-14, 18:49   Link #14
Oxtail

Quote:
Originally Posted by zareba View Post
Mahoromatic

It is about human boys and their relationships to one or several android girls. Include the classical types of character and ecchi comedy.

Second Mahoromatic. Despite the fact that it's a pretty silly ecchi comedy, I found the relationship in it surprisingly touching. And the whole series had this bittersweet undercurrent because each episode ends with a countdown of how long Mahoro(the robot) has till she deactivates.

PS: I wouldn't link wikipedia to people who don't want to be spoiled. I've seen extreme anime spoilers in wikipedia entries in the first sentence! Heh.
Old 2009-01-14, 20:27   Link #15
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Chobits. It's like the start and the end of your search. And it is CLAMP. It may be weird, strange and downright wrong in many senses, but still it is CLAMP quality
Old 2009-01-14, 20:30   Link #16
One_To_Protect
Call Me Pip

Pretty much every one said what I was going to say, Chobits. That is the only one that really comes to mind.
Old 2009-01-14, 22:00   Link #17
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

A suggestion for the serie Mahoromatic: Watch the first season and read the manga from volume 4 to 8. On my book it's the best way to enjoy this serie ( the story is better and feel less ecchi).
Old 2009-01-15, 08:11   Link #18
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

In a cruel and convoluted way I guess you could throw Saikano into the mix
Old 2009-01-15, 12:27   Link #19
Grif

Lol saikano is brilliant and always worth the watch, but im not entirely sure if chise counts as a "robot" xD

Its kinda short and there isnt a lot of it out at the moment, but perhaps eve no jikan can be added?

Appart from that, im just going to say what everyone else is saying and say chobits. Its the first thing i thought when i see this thread.
Old 2009-01-15, 12:40   Link #20
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
In a cruel and convoluted way I guess you could throw Saikano into the mix
For the love part, Saikano would do the job, but the robot part...

Spoiler for argument containing spoler part.: