ゴーカイ 4.5
フォーゼ 5.5
スイープリ 5.3
Atarashii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 01:24   Link #902
Captain Zechs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
And Gundam Age is actually not doing very well rating-wise for it's timeslot and compare to 00 and SEED or even Destiny, it is losing ratings in target demographic as well.
Is it possible for someone to post some ratings from SEED, Destiny and 00 for comparison? I've been trying to find them but am having a bit of trouble. Also, I was curious how AGE is stacking up against Code Geass (both seasons). If someone could help I'd appreciate it !
Captain Zechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 01:49   Link #903
Undertaker

Westlo posted average rating for SEED, Destiny and 00 here.

He also included the rating for first 2 episodes of Age. Since then Age's rating has been fluctuating between demographic but overall rating stays around mid-4.

Code Geass's rating was actually not very impressive for a prime time anime, if I remember correctly. R2 rarely (if any) even reaches 4. That series was mostly supported by otaku crowd, teenagers, and fujoshi.
Old 2011-11-30, 11:17   Link #904
Xander

Quote:
Code Geass's rating was actually not very impressive for a prime time anime, if I remember correctly. R2 rarely (if any) even reaches 4. That series was mostly supported by otaku crowd, teenagers, and fujoshi.
You could really say exactly the same thing about Star Driver and Sengoku Basara Two though, considering they also ended up with similarly low ratings. Then again, I remember Code Geass R2 did rank very high on the "most recorded" lists and still sold more than enough discs to make up for the TV ratings, so it's a complete non-issue.

It's also worth pointing out here that the original Code Geass series never aired on such a prime time slot to begin with, and instead the show had a late night Thursday/Friday broadcast where low ratings are considered sufficient.

Honestly, the only shows with relatively good ratings airing on the "new" Sunday time slot have been Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Second Season and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, though obviously even they -and Gundam Age itself- would have probably performed better back in the old Saturday slot instead. Which is why it would be even more meaningless to bring up SEED, SEED Destiny or even Mobile Suit Gundam 00 ratings as a point of comparison.

Last edited by Xander; 2011-11-30 at 11:28.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 13:44   Link #905
Kirarakim

I thought only the first FMA series had the high ratings. I don't remember Brotherhood's ratings being that high. Although my memory could be faulty.
Old 2011-11-30, 15:54   Link #906
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
You could really say exactly the same thing about Star Driver and Sengoku Basara Two though, considering they also ended up with similarly low ratings. Then again, I remember Code Geass R2 did rank very high on the "most recorded" lists and still sold more than enough discs to make up for the TV ratings, so it's a complete non-issue.

It's also worth pointing out here that the original Code Geass series never aired on such a prime time slot to begin with, and instead the show had a late night Thursday/Friday broadcast where low ratings are considered sufficient.

Honestly, the only shows with relatively good ratings airing on the "new" Sunday time slot have been Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Second Season and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, though obviously even they -and Gundam Age itself- would have probably performed better back in the old Saturday slot instead. Which is why it would be even more meaningless to bring up SEED, SEED Destiny or even Mobile Suit Gundam 00 ratings as a point of comparison.
I don't know, at same time Sat. slots usually feature tougher competition as well with all the JUMP and other shonen titles so I doubt Age would perform better there.

But otherwise I agree, which is why I find interesting why western fan keep bring up Code Geass as recent "rare" example of how sci-fi "used to be made" and was not catered to otaku when in fact series like those were actually aim toward otaku first and only received prime time slot because of the response there.

But it is pointless to compare CG with Gundam. CG did well along with Star Driver and like for been original one-shot anime while Gundam is a household name. It's almost like comparing Babylon 5 to Star Trek series.
Old 2011-11-30, 17:00   Link #907
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I thought only the first FMA series had the high ratings. I don't remember Brotherhood's ratings being that high. Although my memory could be faulty.
Sorry for the confusion then. I meant "good" or "high" ratings for the current Sunday time slot, which is where FMA:B aired. I don't remember how well the original FMA series did back when it aired on Saturday afternoon, those figures have certainly been posted previously in this topic, but I'm sure it did even better than FMA:B.

Quote:
I don't know, at same time Sat. slots usually feature tougher competition as well with all the JUMP and other shonen titles so I doubt Age would perform better there.
The competition was higher, yes, but that's the point: I believe the issue was that baseball series Major aired at the same Saturday slot on another channel, which was apparently interpreted as the reason why the change to Sunday was finally made.

But the previous Saturday time slot wasn't bad at all, and had been historically very successful in terms of grabbing the audience. I don't think the Sunday slot has been able to match or surpass that yet, so the move still seems questionable. Even if there is less competition, you're dealing with a smaller total pie on Sunday afternoon than on Saturday afternoon. Apparently less people are watching TV (or anime on TV, if you prefer) at that time, period.

Quote:
But it is pointless to compare CG with Gundam. CG did well along with Star Driver and like for been original one-shot anime while Gundam is a household name. It's almost like comparing Babylon 5 to Star Trek series.
Yes, I agree.
Old 2011-12-01, 06:11   Link #908
Atarashii

FMA ratings (october 2003-october 2004) can be found here :

http://www.geocities.jp/animesityouritu/2003b.html
http://www.geocities.jp/animesityouritu/2004a.html
http://www.geocities.jp/animesityouritu/2004b.html

Look for 鋼の錬金術師 (it's at the bottom).
Old 2011-12-01, 06:59   Link #909
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Sorry for the confusion then. I meant "good" or "high" ratings for the current Sunday time slot, which is where FMA:B aired. I don't remember how well the original FMA series did back when it aired on Saturday afternoon, those figures have certainly been posted previously in this topic, but I'm sure it did even better than FMA:B.

The competition was higher, yes, but that's the point: I believe the issue was that baseball series Major aired at the same Saturday slot on another channel, which was apparently interpreted as the reason why the change to Sunday was finally made.

But the previous Saturday time slot wasn't bad at all, and had been historically very successful in terms of grabbing the audience. I don't think the Sunday slot has been able to match or surpass that yet, so the move still seems questionable. Even if there is less competition, you're dealing with a smaller total pie on Sunday afternoon than on Saturday afternoon. Apparently less people are watching TV (or anime on TV, if you prefer) at that time, period.

Yes, I agree.

But if I remember from my marketing class, rating is the percentage of viewership available (ie total household in Japan) while share was the the percentage of the actual viewship at time. Unless I was wrong, I assumed those number were ratings which means which mean the pie is the same size regardless of the timeslot and is usually what is used for comparing shows in different slot.
Old 2011-12-01, 08:28   Link #910
Atarashii

Going back to the saturday time slot would be suicidal now that Detective Conan airs at 6 pm every saturday on another channel (NTV).

Also, as Undertaker just said, ratings are based on the amount of households watching a program at a given time. If a show has a 10% rating, it means 10% of the japanese households with a television (the huge majority) are watching the show at that time. However, a show can have a smaller household rating and yet attract more viewers if it's more family orientated, and in that regard evening shows tend to do better than morning or late night programs. That's why most of the familiy orientated mainstream anime (Sazae-san, Chibi Maruko-chan, Shin-chan etc...) are aired on the big networks between 6 pm and 8 pm.

Last edited by Atarashii; 2011-12-01 at 08:40.
Old 2011-12-01, 11:16   Link #911
Xander

Quote:
But if I remember from my marketing class, rating is the percentage of viewership available (ie total household in Japan) while share was the the percentage of the actual viewship at time. Unless I was wrong, I assumed those number were ratings which means which mean the pie is the same size regardless of the timeslot and is usually what is used for comparing shows in different slot.
My apologies. I wasn't trying to be technical here, so I'd defer to either of you as far as the proper definitions are concerned. I might not have been using the exact terms, but hopefully the overall point got across.

Several observers, including some in this same thread, were essentially making the same point back in 2008 or so, when the time slot originally moved from Saturday to Sunday: the change was criticized because apparently less people were likely to be watching TV at that time on Sunday, and it seems the numbers have continued to confirm this, because even inherently popular properties like Gundam haven't reached the heights they formerly achieved in the previous slot despite lacking such heavy competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarashii View Post
Going back to the saturday time slot would be suicidal now that Detective Conan airs at 6 pm every saturday on another channel (NTV).
Didn't know that myself, but then again I guess that's called being "between a rock and a hard place," don't you think? Neither option seems good.
Old 2011-12-01, 12:31   Link #912
Atarashii

Indeed, both options are awful since airing at 6 pm on sundays means competing with Chibi Maruko-chan which is basically the 2nd biggest anime in terms of ratings behind Sazae-san...
Old 2011-12-01, 19:25   Link #913
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarashii View Post
However, a show can have a smaller household rating and yet attract more viewers if it's more family orientated, and in that regard evening shows tend to do better than morning or late night programs.
Just to clarify, I think what you're talking about is the difference between the audience of households and the audience of people. Most of the figures posted here are the former, the percent of Japanese "television households" with at least one set to tuned to a particular program. However advertisers are also interested in the number of people in the audience and how they are distributed by age and gender. Three family members watching a program together count as one household but three people. Programs in late-night slots or that have narrow appeal might only be watched by a solitary viewer. Those programs contribute one household but only one viewer.

If you browse the postings in this thread, you'll see some demographic breakdowns. These are calculated against total persons, while the ratings are based on total households.

Discussions of ratings:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...445#post862445 and following
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...100#post936100 and following

Do DVRs count? (Short answer: no in JP, though yes in US)
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...73#post3548373
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 04:08   Link #914
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Also, AGE does a lot better in the Nagoya region.
The timeslot period does better in the Nagoya region, I remember the comparisons we use to get with the region for Code Geass R2. While the normal ratings for R2 were abysmal the Nagoya region ratings were actually quite decent, up about 1%-1.5% IIRC.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 04:15   Link #915
Atarashii

@Seijisensei :

If I'm not mistaken, a way to know if a show has a lot of viewers compared to the amount of households is to look at the percentage of people which are at least 4 years old who are watching the show.

*2.0 *1.0 *0.6 *3.3 *0.9 *1.7 *0.0 *2.0 *1.1 *0.3 08/06 MBS 25:58-26:28 TIGER & BUNNY

In this case, the household rating is 2.0, however the viewer share (how many people are watching it/total japanese viewers) is only 1.0. That means it isn't very family friendly (which is to be expected).

Another example with One Piece and Chibi Maruko-chan :

12.6 *6.5 16.6 *4.5 11.6 *8.8 *2.5 *8.2 *8.2 *2.0 10/23 CX* 09:30-10:00 ワンピース
11.4 *7.5 19.1 10.1 *6.7 *7.2 *3.1 *8.4 11.4 *4.1 10/23 CX* 18:00-18:30 ちびまる子ちゃん

Even if in this case One Piece has a higher household rating (12.6 > 11.4), Chibi Maruko-chan has a significant advantage in terms of the number of viewers (7.5 > 6.5). This shows that it's more a family show than One Piece.
Old 2011-12-04, 08:42   Link #916
Atarashii

Viewer rating - Anime title - (Household rating)

10/10 - 10/16

13.9 Sazae-san (19.2)
8.3 Chibi Maruko-chan (13.2)
6.6 Detective Conan (11.1)
5.5 One Piece (10.1)
4.3 Pokemon (6.9)
4.1 Inazuma Eleven Go (5.4)
3.4 Danbōru Senki (4.7)
3.2 Toriko (6.1)
3.1 Suite Precure (5.7)
3.0 Naruto (4.8)

10/17 - 10/23

11.4 Sazae-san (16.6)
7.5 Chibi Maruko-chan (11.4)
6.5 One Piece (12.6)
6.3 Shin-chan (9.3)
6.2 Doraemon (10.3)
5.6 Detective Conan (10.0)
4.0 Toriko (8.0)
3.7 Suite Precure (5.9)
3.1 Inazuma Eleven Go (4.8)
2.1 Hunter x Hunter (4.5)

10/24 - 10/31

12.4 Sazae-san (18.3)
7.9 Chibi Maruko-chan (13.2)
6.9 Shin-chan (10.4)
6.8 Doraemon (10.9)
5.1 One Piece (10.8)
4.9 Detective Conan (9.6)
3.4 Inazuma Eleven (5.3)
3.3 Toriko (7.0)
3.2 Pokemon (5.1)
3.0 Suite Precure (5.9)
1.7 Hunter x Hunter (3.9)
Old 2011-12-04, 20:36   Link #917
Atarashii

アンパン 4.8
07ゴースト 0.4
コナン 10.5
ベム 14.9
スフィア 0.7
ベルゼ 2.4
ハンター 4.3
金ロー ルパン 14.0

チャギントン 4.9
チャギントンサンデ 1.7
トリコ 7.2
ワンピ 11.2
チビマル 14.2
サザエ 20.1

ドラエモン 12.1
クレシン 11.7
デジモン 1.9
バトスピ 1.2
ゴーカイ 4.5
フォーゼ 6.6
スイープリ 4.7

New Lupin tv special hits all time low.

Previous scores :

2001.08.03・22.8%『ルパン三世 アルカトラズコネクション』
2002.07.26・20.6%『ルパン三世 EPISODE:0 ファーストコンタクト』
2003.08.01・22.0%『ルパン三世 お宝返却大作戦!!』
2004.07.30・21.1%『ルパン三世 盗まれたルパン ~コピーキャットは真夏の蝶~』
2005.07.27・19.0%『ルパン三世 天使の策略 ~夢のカケラは殺しの香り~』
2006.09.08・17.7%『ルパン三世 セブンデイズ・ラプソディ』
2007.07.27・17.0%『ルパン三世 霧のエリューシヴ』
2008.07.25・14.4%『ルパン三世 sweet lost night ~魔法のランプは悪夢の予感~』
2009.03.17・19.5%『ルパン三世VS名探偵コナン』
2010.02.12・17.6%『ルパン三世 the Last Job』
2011.12.02・14.0%『ルパン三世 血の刻印 ~永遠のMermaid~』

Last edited by Atarashii; 2011-12-05 at 08:57.
Old 2011-12-12, 04:58   Link #918
Atarashii

アンパン 2.8
07ゴースト 休
コナン 9.7
ベム 13.9
スフィア 2.1
ベルゼ 2.2
ハンター 4.9
ドラマ ランマ 7.9
金ロー ラピュタ 15.9

チャギントン 5.9
チャギントンサンデ 1.8
トリコ 6.9
ワンピ 10.0
チビマル 12.9
サザエ 20.5
土プレ ワンピ 10.5

ドラエモン 9.4
クレシン 9.6
デジモン 1.5
バトスピ 1.5
ゴーカイ 4.3
フォーゼ 4.6
スイープリ 4.7
Old 2011-12-14, 07:37   Link #919
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

is the 2011 version of Hunter X Hunter doing well? im ignorant on how to properly analyze statistics
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 11:17   Link #920
Atarashii

Quote:
Originally Posted by jix View Post
is the 2011 version of Hunter X Hunter doing well? im ignorant on how to properly analyze statistics
I'd say it's doing average (but bad among kids which apparently was said to be the target audience of this new anime...). Based on the ratings, and only the ratings, if I were at the head of the channel, I would either take it off the air after the 45 episodes planned at the beginning or change the time slot (since there seems to be an older audience afterall). However, other things can be taken in consideration : DVD sales, merchandising, to what extent does it increase the manga's sales etc...