AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-04-11, 03:09   Link #1
Samari
World's Greatest

Superman: Man of Steel (2012)

I thought this might provide an interesting discussion about the upcoming film. In case you're in the dark, Warner Brothers is planning to reboot the Superman franchise yet again with an entire new premise, cast, and production team behind the film. Zack Synder (Watchmen, 300, Sucker Punch) is set to direct with Chris Nolan (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Inception) set to act as producer with David Goyer (writer for Nolan's Batman films and various other projects) set to be writer.

Here is a tidbit via wikipedia.com:

Quote:
Man of Steel is an American superhero film project, slated to be produced under the development of Zack Snyder, Christopher Nolan, and David S. Goyer.[1] Based on the DC Comics character Superman, the film will be a reboot of the Superman film series. Using Chicago as a backdrop, and with production to be based in west suburban Plano, the film is scheduled to enter principle filming in August 2011,[2] for a planned theatrical release in December 2012 by Warner Bros.,[3] which also includes IMAX venues.[4]
Quote:
Henry Cavill has been cast as Superman,[21] making him the first non-American actor to be cast in the role.[22] Cavill was on the shortlist for the 2006 film Superman Returns, but lost the part to Brandon Routh.[23] Amy Adams will portray Lois Lane.[24][25] Adams was selected from a list of actresses that included Olivia Wilde and Mila Kunis.[26] Diane Lane has been cast as Martha Kent and Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent.[27][28] Michael Shannon has been cast as the role of General Zod.[29]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_of_...ilm_project%29

So thoughts? I'm hoping with Nolan and Goyer behind the reins, this film has promise. Obviously the perception of The Dark Knight Rises is going to have a lot to do with that. Really the last Superman movie that was really good in my opinion was Superman II. It's really hard to replace with Christopher Reeve did with the character because he fit the role so perfectly. Henry Cavill looks like a better candidate than Brandon Routh was I'll say that much. He's my favorite DC superhero so I really have high hopes for this project. I'm not too keen on General Zod being the villain, but it could be worse I suppose. I thought Olivia Wilde would have been perfect for Lois Lane. She definitely has the look. for sure Amy Adams not so much, but she is a great actress though so I'll deal.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 08:03   Link #2
delirium
Banned

OMG, Henry Cavill? I hope that doesn't change. I love Henry Cavill. He makes me all excited. :>
delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 08:22   Link #3
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Cavill from Stardust and Nolan together for a Supes 3.0? Should be interesting, so perhaps I'll give this a shot at the theaters.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 08:28   Link #4
delirium
Banned

It's more like, Charles Brandon from The Tudors is playing Superman? Yes, oh please yes!
Old 2011-04-11, 08:47   Link #5
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

It'll be ok. I'm not expecting something extraordinary from this but I'm not expecting it to be terrible like [some of] the marvel movies either. DC movies tend to be better anyways, so this should be a good movie to watch.
Old 2011-04-11, 08:54   Link #6
delirium
Banned

It can't be any worse than that wretched Superman Returns movie. That was just so bad, although I did like the Lex Luthor.
Old 2011-04-11, 08:55   Link #7
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium View Post
It can't be any worse than that wretched Superman Returns movie. That was just so bad, although I did like the Lex Luthor.
It's Kevin Spacey, he's the only one who could make Lex Luthor look good in a shite movie

But yeah, this will definitely be better than Superman Returns, especially if Nolan has his hands on this one, and his work tends to be pretty good.
Old 2011-04-11, 09:17   Link #8
delirium
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
It's Kevin Spacey, he's the only one who could make Lex Luthor look good in a shite movie

But yeah, this will definitely be better than Superman Returns, especially if Nolan has his hands on this one, and his work tends to be pretty good.
I think it would be awesome if they made Superman less godlike and more like what he is described as, "faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound". He's basically God made manifest with his current power set. It's hard to write a character like that unless they stepped away from imposing Superman upon our reality and instead left him to his own, that being the DC Comics mainstream universe.

Kevin Spacey though, who doesn't love him?
Old 2011-04-11, 09:22   Link #9
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
I think it would be awesome if they made Superman less godlike and more like what he is described as, "faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound". He's basically God made manifest with his current power set. It's hard to write a character like that unless they stepped away from imposing Superman upon our reality and instead left him to his own, that being the DC Comics mainstream universe.
I've always said that Superman is one of the cheapest heroes in the comic-verse. To be fair, if we consider both Marvel and DC together, you could easily argue that Silver Surfer and Galactus would give Supes a _rather short-lived_ run for his money, but other than that, he is rather god-like with his infinite strength and lightning speed.

Quote:
Kevin Spacey though, who doesn't love him?
Charlie Sheen?
Old 2011-04-11, 09:34   Link #10
delirium
Banned

Quote:
I've always said that Superman is one of the cheapest heroes in the comic-verse. To be fair, if we consider both Marvel and DC together, you could easily argue that Silver Surfer and Galactus would give Supes a _rather short-lived_ run for his money, but other than that, he is rather god-like with his infinite strength and lightning speed.
Did you know he briefly had soul vision? He remarked that he could see Lex Luthor's soul in a mini-series this past decade. He's also virtually unkillable, the only thing seemingly able to do the job would be old age. But I suppose that depends on the writer. He's too big of a character to kill off, so it's assured that the future will have their own iteration of Superman as we know him now, and I'm not referring to descendants or people who will take up his mantle when he eventually dies far off into the future.

Quote:
Charlie Sheen?
Oh no you didn't!
Old 2011-04-11, 09:46   Link #11
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Not really. Especially after they rebooted Superman's story in the mid eighties. He was made a lot less powerful. And if someone gets a scoop of Kryptonite he's done.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 09:59   Link #12
delirium
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Not really. Especially after they rebooted Superman's story in the mid eighties. He was made a lot less powerful. And if someone gets a scoop of Kryptonite he's done.
He may not be as powerful as he was prior to Crisis on Infinite Earths, but he's still ridiculously strong. His weaknesses are red sun radiation, kryptonite, magic, and massive physical forces. The latter means he can be be temporarily injured through it. And by weakness to magic it is to say that his invulnerability offers no protection agains it, it affects him as it would anyone else. He's still vastly powerful over his Golden Age appearances, but less powerful than his Silver Age. The reason for that is because it grows to be problematic after awhile. It's why Jean Grey can't be apart of the Marvel Universe. They could depower her, or retcon the Phoenix Force, but her interactions with it have become so vital to her story. She'd be as dull as a rock without it. That applies for Superman too. They had to tone them down or else the only way he could appear would be in reality shaking events like their series of "Crisis" events.
Old 2011-04-11, 11:56   Link #13
GDB

Quote:
Until they decide to make a Kingdom Come movie, I completely agree. And since I don't ever see Kingdom Come becoming a movie, I guess that means Superman should just be "super" and not "god".
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 13:18   Link #14
scraggy

Send a message via AIM to scraggy Send a message via MSN to scraggy
Kevin Spacey was pretty awesome in Superman Returns, but the rest of it was crap.
I'd love to see a Luthor more like the S:TAS/JL(U) or All-Star Superman. Or see Darkseid as a villain.

Actually I just want them to make All-Star Superman: The Movie.

getunderme.tumblr.com
scraggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 13:47   Link #15
delirium
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Until they decide to make a Kingdom Come movie, I completely agree. And since I don't ever see Kingdom Come becoming a movie, I guess that means Superman should just be "super" and not "god".
The last part of your message makes me think you don't understand that I prefer him to be weaker rather than godlike. I'm guessing you didn't mean it like that, but just thought I'd point that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggy View Post
Kevin Spacey was pretty awesome in Superman Returns, but the rest of it was crap.
I'd love to see a Luthor more like the S:TAS/JL(U) or All-Star Superman. Or see Darkseid as a villain.

Actually I just want them to make All-Star Superman: The Movie.
Darkseid in a Superman film. I like the idea, but how could they do it?
Old 2011-04-11, 13:50   Link #16
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well recently you have Batman, Green Lantern, and now a now Superman. What is left on the big list for the Justice League? Well there is the main one that seems impossible to pull off realistically: Wonder Woman.
Old 2011-04-11, 14:01   Link #17
GDB

Quote:
The last part of your message makes me think you don't understand that I prefer him to be weaker rather than godlike. I'm guessing you didn't mean it like that, but just thought I'd point that out.
Yeah, I didn't mean it like that since I was agreeing with you. I hate Superman because of how ridiculously powerful he is. Only time I liked him as a near-god was in Kingdom Come, but that was mostly because Kingdom Come was so utterly amazing.

Quote:
Darkseid in a Superman film. I like the idea, but how could they do it?
Same way they intend to pull it off in Smallville, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well recently you have Batman, Green Lantern, and now a now Superman. What is left on the big list for the Justice League? Well there is the main one that seems impossible to pull off realistically: Wonder Woman.
Wonder Woman had a movie in the works, and it was downgraded to a TV series because of the perceived lack of interest. Also, Justice League usually has 7 members. Including Wonder Woman and Flash, that still leaves 2 slots open.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 14:12   Link #18
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Justice League members to fill in those two slots seems random at times depending on who is doing it. One version will have Hawkman and Aquaman, another would have Martian Manhunter and Hawkgirl. I find it hard to see any of those managing to pull off a solo movie with the success desired by any studio. (See the Marvel Movies running Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor to lead up to an Avergers movie, but no movie for those remaining individuals outside of the Avengers that aren't the big four.)

I mentioned Wonder Woman specifically because it is difficult to get on the air even though she is one of the big three.

Flash...depends on which one. If he's semi-serious...it might work on the big screen, but wouldn't be all that interesting in a Justice League movie. The more comedic Flash...would be great in a Justice League movie, but not sure if he could stand alone.

Superman can stand alone. The trick is that in order to have drama (and a plot larger than "Superman saves everything for 2 hours or have almost the entire thing be backstory) Superman needs to have a weakness, a nearly evenly matched villan, or throw his punches because he is afraid of killing people, both enemies and friendlies.

Batman almost always works because of what he is. Normal (mostly).
Old 2011-04-11, 14:15   Link #19
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Yeah, I didn't mean it like that since I was agreeing with you. I hate Superman because of how ridiculously powerful he is. Only time I liked him as a near-god was in Kingdom Come, but that was mostly because Kingdom Come was so utterly amazing.

Wonder Woman had a movie in the works, and it was downgraded to a TV series because of the perceived lack of interest. Also, Justice League usually has 7 members. Including Wonder Woman and Flash, that still leaves 2 slots open.
that is that fish guy and the birdman. Although i like to see the birdman as a lawyer.

edit: here is a plot, Retire superhero Aquaman sues multinational company for polluting the ocean and enviromnetal damage to Atlantis. Retire Superhero turn lawyer Hawkman hire by said company as lead defense lawyer.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2011-04-11 at 14:42.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 14:24   Link #20
delirium
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
edit: here is a plot, Retire superhero Aquaman sues multinational company for polluting the ocean and enviromnetal damage to atlamtis. Retire Superhero turn lawyer Hawkman hire by said company as lead defense lawyer.
I hope the knowledge that you've made me cry and doubt humanity will make you happy.

Quote:
I hated how they did Darkseid in Smallville.

Last edited by delirium; 2011-04-11 at 14:41.