AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2011-10-14, 14:32   Link #61
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Hayate no Gotoku might be up your alley. I've never seen it to the end but has 50 episodes and the beginning is what you described. I think it's straight-up comedy/reference fest.
Old 2011-10-14, 14:57   Link #62
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Searched it in anime planet, and it looks like Zero no Tsukaima. I will 100% look into it. I had a question tho: there are TWO Hayate no Gotoku, one with 52 episodes, and one with 25. Also, one was produced in 2007, the latter in 2009. Are they linked or what? Is the 2009 like the second season of the 2007? The idea is appealing me really much, i might even switch straight to it, and then watch princess lover and kanokon.

here comes the list btw: red marked animes are the ones i enjoyed the most.

-Haruhi Suzumiya no Yutsu: 9.5 / 9
I really enjoyed this anime, probably because it caught me in a bad moment. I enjoyed it so much that i even read the novel, up to the last work and really enjoyed it. Can't wait for the next one, and for it to get animated once again. It contained tits to some extent, i also liked the character's personalities, and i shared 98% of my thoughts with the protagonist, that made me impersonate in him really much. The plot was particular, and i liked the idea. It even gave me phylosophical inspiration as far as some things were concerned. This was the effect on me. Probably it's just an over average anime, i still appreciated it much.

-Toradora: 9.5 / 8.5
Really enjoyed this anime. It contained many things i was looking for, beside it being, according to me, the best next-to-watch after Haruhi's series. It also had a good end, and that just made my opinion overgrow towards this anime. Liked it very much. I would rate it high even as far as the story was concerned.

-Amagami SS (1° and last arc): 9.5 / 9.5
I really liked this anime. The only downside? Arcs only lasted 4 episodes. If the whole story was focused on the first or last arc, this was pretty much a 10/10. Cool characters, good story, and tbh, the school love story i was looking for. Really really enjoyed it, because it portrayed the normal school environment, the growing love between the two protagonists, with an awesome end. No paranormal things or other bullshit unreal things. I liked it because it was so near to reality. I also liked Haruhi's series for the same reason: it was pretty much normal school life (Ye, here you might say: "how the fuck do you define it normal to be surrounded by aliens, espers and time travellers, beside being blocked in time loops or other dimensions?", it's true, under that point of view it isn't normal but, if you analyze it well, you can see a normal progressing school life, with anydays habits, funny summers and so on. This normality is kinda kept hidden by those four). The anime itself is a good portrait of old school days, really liked it.

-Ladies vs Butlers: 9.4 / 7.9
It just was so exciting that i couldn't not rate it high. What mostly disappointed me was that there was no real end, beside the protagonist revealing to be an idiot in the end. There was a kiss as requested tho, tits, tsundere female(or at least huge-ego boosted one) and cool moments. I found it also very funny, gave me some laugh. I enjoyed it really much. The anime itself is so so, but contained many things i really enjoyed.

-Zero no Tsukaima: 9 / 7.5
This was the first example i gave you: i enjoyed it really much, probably because the love story between the two was well played, beside it fitting my many requests. It had a bit too much fantasy in it, but the story was more focused on saito and luise, so it didn't bore me at all. An average anime on the other side. Waiting for the 4th season, since it has been left uncomplete.

-Mayo neko Overrun! : 8.9 / 7.5
It contained everything i requested, and i would have rated it 10/10 if it ended somehow. Sadly the makers didn't have much money to continue it. I still enjoyed it really much. On the otherside, i would consider it a random anime.

-Mayo chiki: 8.5 / 8
Kinda contained what i wanted, there were more than one kiss, and even tho the last episode just opened new ways, i enjoyed it much. A good anime overall, i'd say.

- The world god only knows: 8.3 / 8.9
It really made me laugh from the first episode, but it wasn't exactly what i was looking for, so dropped it for the moment. The anime itself is good and funny as hell; if i'll ever get enough time, i'll pick it up again just because i found it funny.

-Vampire+Rosario: 8 / 5.5
Pretty much contained what i was looking for, but the anime itself was a bit disappointing, especially as far as the plot was concerned; fights lasted 2mins max, and ended within a kick. The second series also bored me and i dropped it in the end. I enjoyed what i've watched tho. Mediocre anime.

-Kaichou wa maid sama: 7.9 / 8
It was a good story, the female protagonist was just HOT, and it had good graphic; on the other side i found the figure of the male protagonist a bit too unreal (perfect boy, with attitude to any sport, wanted by any girl, respected by anyone, wealthy, hard working, always saving his dear), and i hated all those scenes emoticons-like. Average anime i'd say.

-Shakugan no Shana: 7.5 / 8.5
It contained a good background story, i also liked the characters but since the story didn't evolve so much between the two, beside there weren't many hot moments or any kiss. The second series also bored me and i dropped it. A good action anime on the otherside, many cool fights and a rather acceptable plot.

-Bakemonogatari: 5 / 9
It wasn't what i was looking for, but on the other side i could appreciate(even if not fully) this work, due to its particularities, like music, graphic, and background. It was something new i hadn't ever experienced. I'm grateful to you for having showed me this title.

-School of the dead: 2 / 8
I plain don't like catastrophic/apocalyctic backgrounds, so i discarded it after the first episode. THe graphic was good on the other side, and contained hot stuff. Would be a good anime, i guess.

-School days: 0 / 0
Fucking horrible. The end just fucking ruined everything. If it didn't evolve that way (from the middle of the anime), i would have rated it 8+, but it just turned out to be some disappointing horrid shit. You know, even if you have a huge number, if you multiply it by 0, it turns to be 0, no matter how high it was. This is the case.
Classified Info is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 15:29   Link #63
Undertaker

Hayate no Gotoku is great. It's biggest selling point is the comedy and characters, kind of similar to TWGOK.

The 52 (4-cour) episodes one is season 1, the 25 episode one is season 2. They are linked chronologically, although there is a little sub plot in season 1 that was completely ignore due to it being an original plot that anime team threw in because they didn't anticipate a potential season 2. But that sub plot isn't really important...

One thing to keep in mind about anime is that almost all romance and comedy anime comes from manga or light novel adaption, so 9 out 10 don't have clear end and only the proven popular series ends with multiple seasons.

In addition to Hayate no Gotoku I still recommend you to check out Baka and Test, Infinite Stratos, ToAru series, Asobe no IkuYo, Princess Lover, and Dog Days. In that order of recommendation.
Old 2011-10-14, 15:49   Link #64
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Thanks for replying. Uni already started, and i got only friday/sunday nights to watch animes, since during the day i gotta study, and saturday night is holy.

At least i got something to do during this year hehe

EDIT
I had already begun watching princess lover for some reason, and i ended up watching it to full. I enjoyed it really much; ye, pants shots were censored, but i liked it anyways.

Before embracing the 77 episodes long series, i will watch Kanokon, then watch the others in the order given.

Last edited by Classified Info; 2011-10-14 at 20:26.
Old 2011-10-15, 00:37   Link #65
Undertaker

a lot of anime with more explicit shots are usually censored unless airing on ATX channel (premium cable channel) but that channel only broadcast in 4:3 aspect ratio. To get the full picture you need to wait for DVD, BD release, which is how they make money.

But yeah, I would suggest wait on Hayate no Gotoku a bit, as a lot of its comedy are base on ACG parody and it'll make it more enjoyable if you got a few series under your belt, though not required to enjoy it.

Kanokon is great, it skip my mind because it was a series that was a few years ago. but you should enjoy it as well.
Old 2011-10-15, 04:57   Link #66
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

I found even more other titles (this time lead to here by a friend)

To love Ru
Girls bravo (The plot reminds me of Zero no Tsukaima somehow, even tho they seem to be quite different)
DearS (similar to the one above, as far as i read)

I also know that DearS has an happy ending, and that gives it loads of points, but i never watched those. Would like to hear your opinions about them, and eventually give me an order, so that i can fully enjoy them one by one, together with the others given of course.

Thanks again for your attention, i currently have like 12 animes on the list to watch.
Old 2011-10-15, 05:01   Link #67
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

To love Ru is a fairly ecchi harem show, it's enjoyable, but nothing specially really[hadn't seen the others].
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 06:41   Link #68
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Girl’s Bravo: Haven’t seen this yet.

To Love Ru:
Basically it’s similar to R+V anime but way better in terms of characters & plot. One minus (I think) for you though, the source manga for this anime is not finished yet. Thus, no ‘definitive’ ending to this anime too.

DearS:
Once again, this is also a so-so anime. Although not as bad as R+V plotwise, some of the main characters and the theme are not fleshed out enough. Also, I don’t really like the main-guy for some reason. One more thing though: in my opinion, this anime is a direct rip-off/copy of the manga/anime with the same theme which is quite superior in most aspects compared to DearS. That manga/anime is called Sora no Otoshimono. Still, Sora no Otoshimono is far from finished, while DearS (as you knew already) has a definitive happy ending.

Edit:
(to me) The main guy in Sora no Otoshimono is a pervert but since the series focuses its comedy on his perversion, it makes him an interestingly funny character to have. DearS, on the other side, has a main-guy that’s good natured but plain and uninteresting.

I Hope this description helps ^_^.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2011-10-15 at 10:45.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 07:00   Link #69
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

quite exhaustive.

I'll now start watching Kanokon, thanks again for your replies, you have all been very helpful.
Old 2011-10-15, 16:23   Link #70
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Ok, dropped kanokon after the first few episodes because, as i said, i don't like when things are too easy; also, i didn't like the male protagonist: i hate kid-looking shy male protagonists, really, it must be someone i can impersonate in. Also, i hate when the boy is surrounded by girls that only say "he's mine, no he's mine, nono i'll marry him, no i will" what the fuck, it's just too easy.

I watched DearS, and i really enjoyed it: i liked the male protagonist's personality, and it had a good end.

Gave a shot to Girls' bravo, but looks like kanokon to me, and dropped it aswell, since it had become boring.

Just for your information: i don't like shit male protagonists, that look like elementary school kids, or retarded. I also don't like when they are shy, stupid, totally useless, idiot. I prefer good natured boys, smart, harsh at the beginning that slowly develop their love for the female protagonist.

I usually want to impersonate myself in the male protagonist, and the characters i liked so far were: Kyon from Haruhi Suzumiya series, Ryuji from Toradora, the protagonist of princess lover, the protagonist of DearS, protagonist of Amagami SS(even if a bit too shy, beside i didn't like much the actor voice), the protagonist of Dears, and in the end the protagonist of LvsB (even tho in the end he showed up to be an idiot, but still).

This is the kind of male protagonist i want in the anime. The look should also be similar to the ones i mentioned, meaning a normal guy, with no gay/stupid/kid expression/voice. Good natured and a bit perv is okay, but no embarassing things like girls allergy or gynophobia, fuck no, i love girls.

Characters like the protagonist of Shakugan no Shana, Dragon crisis, Kanokon, Girls' bravo, that all look childish, are out (Saito from Zero no Tsukaima also had a bit childish look, but was somehow taller and brave, so it was kinda okay; also didn't have gay voice or was shy).

Out of these animes, which should I discard, that contain such wrong male protagonist?

To love Ru
Sekirei
This ugly yet beautiful world
Yosuga no Sora (read somewhere it's some sort of BL hentai)
B gata H key
Kiss x Sis
Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou
Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka
baka to test to shokanju
Infinite Stratos
ToAru series
Asobe no IkuYo

Thanks again for your replies

EDIT
Watched the first episode of This ugly yet beautiful world, and i think i'll enjoy it: no useless boy, girl with some sadist second personality, i like this. Somehow reminds me of a movie called Stardust, that i watched and enjoyed long ago. Will continue on this for this weekend, waiting for a response on the other animes.

EDIT2
Arrived at 4th episode, and i gotta say this anime is evolving in a weird way... the scenario changes so often, that i no longer understand who are the real protagonist, and what the anime is really about. At the beginning i thought was some kind of action anime, with the boy transforming in some sort of mad beast, and the girl having a dark side, while now the scenario switched to another girl, and a quite normal life. WTF? Anyways, i'm sure other episodes will clear up my mind, i hope.

PS does it have an end, and is it good, at least?

EDIT3
This anime is so random

Last edited by Classified Info; 2011-10-15 at 19:08.
Old 2011-10-15, 19:16   Link #71
Undertaker

All the main character in that list aren't really a "wimp" main character. While a few might be a bit indecisive and dense, but they are more similar to Saito or Ryuji level instead of totally useless brat. So you should be ok with them.

B gata H key might not be your thing though as the main story is center around the girl try to lose her virginity and the romance that result from it.

As for DearS and Girls Bravo, you starting to go back a bit of time, but if you like one, you should like the other. Sora no Otoshimono is a great suggestion that is more current is very similar to DearS in terms of the feel of story as well as Asobe no IkuYo.

To love Ru is good, though the main character is your staple mild mannered male who only man up when he needed to though he is surprisingly one of few main character who consistently resist the advances of lead female through out the story and only slowly warms up to her...

Last edited by Undertaker; 2011-10-15 at 19:51.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 21:11   Link #72
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
To love Ru
Sekirei
This ugly yet beautiful world
Yosuga no Sora (read somewhere it's some sort of BL hentai)
B gata H key
Kiss x Sis
Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka
baka to test to shokanju
Infinite Stratos
ToAru series
Asobe no IkuYo

EDIT3
This anime is so random
From my personal experience out of your list, the main guy that'll fit your taste are from:
Kissxsis
Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka
Infinite Stratos
To Aru Majutsu no Index
This Ugly yet Beautiful World

I haven't seen the other titles (except To Love Ru).

As for To Love Ru, the main guy belongs to the plain category which is:
Good natured
Oblivious to the girls' feelings
Not a pervert, but frequently finding himself in embarrassing/outrageous situations.
Liked by many for his kindness
note: he looks like a kid even though he's the same age and height (in some cases, even taller) compared to his female classmates.

As for This Ugly yet Beautiful World, well, it's from Gainax and you'll never get a simple anime from them. Gainax is the one that made Evangelion, after all.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2011-10-15 at 21:49.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 21:27   Link #73
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Finished This ugly yet beautiful world; the end kinda left me sad, but the anime in general was a bit evanescent: i felt like there was no background at all (we do not know anything about that blonde professor, we do not know anything about those two guardians/whatever, we do not know anything about how the 2 girls came in the world(just a wish?), we do not know why the guy transforms in that beast or why the other one has the power to make wishes become true, and the girl's goal was just senseless (destroy earth lolwut why). It still had its moments, so i kinda enjoyed it to some extent; there were touching scenes. Still, background was totally missing, there was like no plot, but at least it ended somehow, and it left the hope for the girl's comeback.

Discarded Girls Bravo after the 6th episode, because it just bored me. I also removed B gata H key form my list for the reasons you named.

I guess next-to-watch is Baka and test, but as far as Infinite stratos is concerned, i wanted to know something: i read the sheet in animeplanet, and it's portrayed as Mecha anime: i don't like that kind of anime at all, because it just makes everything... cold. Even if FMP and evangelion contained some story, the whole mecha-focused story didn't entertain me at all, so if infinite stratos is too much focused on mecha battles and shit, i don't think i will enjoy it that much. Mecha animes just give me no feelings, because it's all fucking machines and other apocalyptic scenarios. I hate those.

On the other hand, i noticed that To Aru series have female protagonists: as i said before, i would like the male pov, since i'm never going to impersonate myself in a girl.

Same goes for Asobi ni Iku yo: from the screenshots it looks like the protagonists are mainly girls, beside the anime being tagged with "Robots" tags; as said above, i don't like robots/mecha focused animes, unless they are just a minor part of the background (which is unlikely).

Already watched princess lover, and i really enjoyed it; thank you for having suggested this title.

Last but not least, dog days: there is no description whatsoever in animeplanet, but from the recomandation posts below, the first anime that shares most features is Zero no Tsukaima, so unless you don't give me good reasons to watch the before mentionend animes, i'm going for this. Tomorrow tho, it's fucking 4 am, i'm tired. Cya

PS
I HATE CAT GIRLS (if it's just a costume it's okay, but when ears/tail become part of the girl, i just fucking cannot stand hybrid animal/girls)
Old 2011-10-15, 21:48   Link #74
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
On the other hand, i noticed that To Aru series have female protagonists: as i said before, i would like the male pov, since i'm never going to impersonate myself in a girl.
If you only watch, To Aru Majutsu no Index, there'll be no problem for you, since it's from the male POV. Oh, and I forgot to mention that the main-guy is up to your taste. I'll edit my previous post for this.

Quote:
Tomorrow tho, it's fucking 4 am, i'm tired. Cya
LOL. Buddy, you should take your time to rest. Getting up till morning is bad for your health, just sayin'. Don't let your anime-viewing activity disturb your natural needs. .

Btw, It's already 9.30 in the morning here.
Old 2011-10-16, 02:04   Link #75
Undertaker

I'll summarize the ones you are asking.

Infinite Stratos is not mecha anime, whoever categorize it doesn't really know their stuff. Mecha means robot, and IS doesn't have those. Don't know if you've seem Mai-Hime franchise, it kind of like that. Basically the character wears power up suit. Think of it as Sci-Fi verson of people wearing full fledged knight armors. Also the anime actually have very little fighting, so I don't see it would be a problem for you.

Spoiler for The power suit in IS::

Asobi ni Iku yo is different. There are robot there, but they are used as service robots. basically the story is like DearS where alien come to earth for study purposes. While you might not like cat girls, the anime is actually pretty good on justifying them. The premise of the series is that those cat girls are aliens. However, I still suggest you give it a shot, at least with 1st episode as the cat girls in that series doesn't behave as your stereotypical anime cat girls but more like human cosplaying as cat girls and the series actually make fun of that quite often. And it really is a pretty enjoyable series that I think you would like it.

Who knows, you might change your mind on hybrid people like you did with harem anime.

Spoiler for Asobe no Iku Yo Design, note those robot looking pets are the only robots in the series:

Dog Days is similar, but instead of Sci-Fi setting, the premises is that the main character got summoned to a magical world (ala zero no Tsukaima)where poeple over in that world has dog (cat) ears and tail. Again they rarely act the way to stereotypical animal people and the tail/ear focus are minimal. Again I would suggest you at least give 1st episode a shot and see how you feel.

To Aru series actually have three seasons. The main series To Aru Majutsu no Index has 2 seasons with the main character being a kick-ass guy that tend to attract female despite his tendency for "bad luck". (there is a reason for that though) The third one (actually chronologically the second ) is called Toaru Kagaku no Railgun, that series is a spin-off centers around the #2 lead female (some might argue #1) from the Index series, Misaka Mikoto. Because of her immense popularity, a Spin-off Manga was created in addition to the original light novel. It basically expand the story on Index Season 1, as well as provide a few original story that ties to her side of story which would later intertwined with the main story as well. In addition, the Railgun anime helps to fill in some background/setting details that Season 1 skipped due to episode constraint. With that being said, Railgun is funnier and more light-hearted than Index and if you end up liking Index series, you shouldn't have problem enjoying Railgun series.

Spoiler for Index Main Cast (there are more characters later)::

Spoiler for Railgun Main Cast:

Last edited by Undertaker; 2011-10-16 at 02:36.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 05:27   Link #76
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Started watching IS, and it reminds me of evangelion. There are pretty girls, and i arrived to the 5th episode. I think i'll watch it, hoping it evolves in some good way with the first girl. I also hope it does have an end. It hasn't to be a definitive end, but it has to leave little to imagination, meaning that it has to end giving enough hints on how it would end, and not totally unknown final. Zero tsukaima left enough hints already after the first series, and with the following ones the end is easily imaginable (saito ending up with luise, since they both stated many times they love each other, and almost fucked).

I'll give a try to dog days and asobi;

As far as To Aru Majutsu no Index is concerned, seeing a nun there makes me.... dunno how to say, but leaves me hopeless. I can't imagine anything good growing between a boy and a full covered nun.

Getting back to IS
Old 2011-10-16, 06:01   Link #77
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I can't imagine anything good growing between a boy and a full covered nun.
You'll be surprised.
Old 2011-10-16, 08:12   Link #78
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

It's a lie that IS contains few fights: it actually looks to be mainly about that. Also there seem to be too many girls wanting the male protagonist, which only led to a no-end, so far. I'll finish it anyways for the sake of it. Anyways, the male protagonist is okay for my standards.

@ Obelisk: you said i'd be surprised, and that's enough for me. I'll give it a shot after IS.

EDIT
finished watching IS, and the end kinda satisfied me enough. I didn't really enjoy much the whole anime tho: too much mecha combat oriented. Moreover, those girls' personalities weren't developed for fuck. Probably the end saved it.

Last edited by Classified Info; 2011-10-16 at 13:18.
Old 2011-10-16, 14:31   Link #79
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Watched the first episode of Dog days and....

I plain don't like this. My disappointment towards cat people grew even more. I just can't stand men/girls with furry ears and tail; moreover the male protagonist doesn't even mind being ported to another realm, and thinks in a childish way, beside being a middle school student (I had requested smth above 16y). Also, i didn't like how the whole plot was presented, and those names are awful: "Biscuits castle" what the fuck? Also, those bird mounts are fucking horrible.

Sorry, i failed in the attempt of overcoming my disdain towards cat girls. Once again i realized i plain don't like hybrids. I also don't like aliens with weird symbols on their forehead or other elven ears. This just screws me up. Just want normal girls; if they have necessarily to transform, just be like Shana (Of shakugan no shana), who simply remains a normal girl with red hairs. No weird stuff.

After this "little" parenthesis, once again, which of the following titles contain normal girls, and actually end in a pleasant way?

To love Ru
Sekirei
Yosuga no Sora
kiss x Sis
Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka
baka to test to shokanju
ToAru series
Asobe no IkuYo

Sorry for being so annoying, i still have issues knowing my own tastes. I would be pleased if you read again the list i wrote about the animes i watched so far. Thanks again for your attention.
Old 2011-10-16, 15:25   Link #80
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

From the list, the safest picks (of 'normal' girls) would be:
Kissxsis
Yosuga no Sora
Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka
Baka to Test to Shokanju
To Aru series

And, if you filter it again, the ones with satisfying/definitive (although bitter-sweet) end would be:
Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka
Yosuga no Sora