AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2007-02-17, 22:17   Link #1
TickTock

Soundtracks..

Has any anime ever had you so wrapped up from it's audio that you went crazy and instantly.... "Obtained" it's entire soundtrack? Only a few shows have really had music impressive enough to make me want to put them on my phone and I-pod. My all time favorite soundtracks are from..

- .hack//roots
(EXAMPLE: http://odeo.com/audio/1704061/view)

- Rozen Maiden
(EXAMPLE: http://www.bolt.com/MrJimmy/music/Th...om_the/2992559)

- Elfen Lied
(EXAMPLE: http://www.bolt.com/MrJimmy/music/Lilium/2513366)
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 22:48   Link #2
mintyfresh
Altoid

Ahh, yes, we've all been there.

The first OST I probably really cared about was .hack//SIGN's, but now that interest for anime soundtracks have turned into outright love. I've even bought some hard copies of OST's so as to make myself feel better for being such a pirate. But really, my collection is getting out of control.. (;´Д`)

Some of the other OSTs that caught my interest early on were KareKano's, Read or Die, then R.O.D. the TV's.

Among my all time faves are probably Binchou-tan, Maria-sama ga Miteru (+Haru), Kamichu, and so many thing out of ARIA.

I'm probably forgotting some things, but meh.
mintyfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-18, 07:42   Link #3
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

Yep. All the time. Just recently I was re-watching my Mugen no Ryvius DVDs and really wanted the OSTs. Took a while to track them down but I finally did. Three albums... and only two tracks (both on the first) that I actually like. But one of those tracks is what triggered me to hunt them down. =p

I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the Ghost Hunt, and Yamato Nadesico Shichi Henge OSTs at the moment. Also Naruto Shippuden's (which is by the same composers as both Ghost Hunt and Yamanade, funnily enough =p) -- Masuda Toshrio who did Ghost Hunt, Naruto, Mushishi, Excel Saga, and Takanashi Yasuhari did Yamanade, Jigoku Shoujou and now the two of them working on Shippuden really floored me.

So yeah, eagerly awaiting Yamanade, Ghost Hunt and Shippuden. I really like OSTs though. Not much of a fan of OP/ED tracks in general, but I love the scores used in many anime series. Hearing a single track in a single episode will make me run out and get the album if it's available, sometimes.

Nodame's soundtrack is excellent, too... mostly classical stuff we all know, but some really interesting versions. Can't wait for that. >.< So much music I must have!
Asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-19, 11:12   Link #4
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
60% of the music I listen to is composed of soundtracks. 'Nuff said.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-19, 16:37   Link #5
capture
Saber's Husband XD

Send a message via Yahoo to capture
Tsubasa Chronicles OST and also FMA OST are nice to me....also adding some of gundam seed's song...(specially akatsuki no kuruma)
Old 2007-02-19, 18:05   Link #6
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
There are a lot of anime soundtracks that I got right after finishing the series, in fact I think I got it for about half of the shows I watched. I wasn't much of an OST-listener before but right now the majority of the music I listen to are Soundtracks.
Some of the ones I like are e.g. FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu, Chobits, Elfen Lied, Blood+, etc.
Old 2007-02-20, 11:09   Link #7
Question
Crossdresser

In my experience MOST OSTs are simply not worth the money. The idea of a OST is that it comprises of many short tracks played during scences during the show. The problem is that if you are not watching the scence, its very very different. Take your standard horror movie's "suspense scence" track. If you listen to it by itself, its not very nice, but it fits the scence it was made for perfectly. A specific example is "Decayed Lineage" from the fate/stay night OST. It was perfect for its scence, but not when you are just listening to it as music.

On the other hand there are exceptions. AIR and Tsukihime had very nice OSTs. AIR had lots of nice piano tracks, and the OST had 3 full songs in it, Tori no uta, Aozora, and Farewell song, all of which were very nice...very nice value for money as well. The first Tsukihime OST had excellent violin music. Second wasnt as good, but still decent.
Old 2007-02-20, 13:06   Link #8
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Seeing as though i am the OSTpedia, you'll know my answer from that.
Old 2007-02-22, 08:22   Link #9
Mueti
あ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question View Post
The idea of a OST is that it comprises of many short tracks played during scences during the show. The problem is that if you are not watching the scence, its very very different. Take your standard horror movie's "suspense scence" track. If you listen to it by itself, its not very nice, but it fits the scence it was made for perfectly. A specific example is "Decayed Lineage" from the fate/stay night OST. It was perfect for its scence, but not when you are just listening to it as music.
While it is often true that many OSTs wouldn't be worth listening by themselves because they are just composed to fit a certain scene, it is exactly the fact that you know the scene and certain emotions connected to it that make the soundtrack worthwhile as it reminds you of those.
I believe that there is quite some amount of songs I would normally dislike among the soundtracks I listen to but due to my bias because of knowing the anime I couldn't even judge the song's quality if I wanted to.
Old 2007-02-25, 16:52   Link #10
liemtenshi

Well,
I' ve been there. Fight hard to track down an OST and hate it once I listen to it. Only like 1 track or 2, 4 at most (like: Aquarian Age, X the Movie, Xenosaga II, 3x3 eyes, Bleach 1).

But there are a lot of good OST. I like Gundam Seed OSTs (not all, just I & II I think), AMG OST II, Naruto OST 1, Naruto Movie I, Tenchi Muyo Movie I, Jubei Chan-Siberian Yagyu, Full Moon Wo Sagashite, Please Save my Earth, X TV, Uchuu no Stellvia, Sailor Moon (don't laugh! They do have a lot of beautiful songs!) and on and on.

I have also some OST that make me have a mix feelings too. Part love it to death, other part hate it or part make me fall a sleep. (Air, DN Angel, Matentai Loki Ragnarok, Hakkenden, Record of Lodoss War 1, tactics 1, Gundam W)

Or hate it with passion but after listen to it over and over again and in correct weather, I became to like it (City hunter: Secret service)

Or no matter how many time I listen to it, I still hate it (one of the supposed to be best vocal Cd from Tenchi Muyo)

That' s because it realy hard to please me. If I could find more than 4 songs in 1 CD that I love (not just like), you could considere that as a miracle!

So, what I did is that I compiled all the songs I love into 1 CD, so that I don't have to hit fwd button all the time!

But you have to listen to the OSTs because there just too many of beautiful BGM that is not known and they are very beautiful!

Last edited by liemtenshi; 2007-02-25 at 17:01. Reason: adding
liemtenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 20:11   Link #11
Arcwave
Filmmaker & Writer

Send a message via AIM to Arcwave Send a message via MSN to Arcwave
Recently, I'd have to say that ELFEN LIED takes the cake in my favor. I also like ARMITAGE III, DRAGONBALL Z, and GUNDAM WING.
Arcwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-05, 03:14   Link #12
TsubasaSeraphina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question View Post
In my experience MOST OSTs are simply not worth the money. The idea of a OST is that it comprises of many short tracks played during scences during the show. The problem is that if you are not watching the scence, its very very different. Take your standard horror movie's "suspense scence" track. If you listen to it by itself, its not very nice, but it fits the scence it was made for perfectly. A specific example is "Decayed Lineage" from the fate/stay night OST. It was perfect for its scence, but not when you are just listening to it as music.

On the other hand there are exceptions. AIR and Tsukihime had very nice OSTs. AIR had lots of nice piano tracks, and the OST had 3 full songs in it, Tori no uta, Aozora, and Farewell song, all of which were very nice...very nice value for money as well. The first Tsukihime OST had excellent violin music. Second wasnt as good, but still decent.
This statement could be potentially offensive- that is, it's rather subjective, I for one, happen to like that song *cough* my email address is Decayed.Lineage[at]hotmail.com *cough*

Last edited by TsubasaSeraphina; 2007-03-05 at 03:15. Reason: spelling~
TsubasaSeraphina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-11, 09:23   Link #13
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

My Fave Osts anime well

- Bleach Ost 1

- GunGrave

- Heat Guy J

- Speed Grapher

- Samurai Champloo

- Wolfs Rain
Old 2007-03-11, 09:27   Link #14
H-man
3rd year Otaku

Location: Hmm...: Bollnäs, Sweden; Sundsvall, Sweden; Edsbro, Sweden and a couple of places in Texas, USA
Send a message via MSN to H-man
Series this has occured for me in:
Mai HiME
Mai Otome
Gundam SEED
Gundam SEED Destiny
Rozen Maiden
Rozen Maiden ~Träumend~
Noir
MADLAX
Air

Well, it's not a Anime series but, Rockman 2
H-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-11, 19:27   Link #15
jack781217
Asakura Goryoushin

Send a message via MSN to jack781217
Current I have, in order of the time obtained:

D.N. Angel OST 1, 2
Tsubasa Chronicle Future Soundscape I, II, III, IV
Spiral ~Suiri no Kizuna~ Original Soundtrack
Rozen Maiden, ~Träumend~

My favorite is that of D.N. Angel ^^
jack781217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-11, 21:55   Link #16
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Whenever I am studying or messing with the photoshop I prefer listening to OSTs as they are almost devoid of lyrics they dont distract you . Also they entertain you too
Old 2007-03-12, 06:47   Link #17
chaz017
Senior Member...ish

Personally I prefer lyrics with my music the majority of the time and also love the anime BECK so I couldn't help but obtain the soundtrack. I also enjoy several of the openings and closings for Naruto w/ video so I made a compilation of them all.
chaz017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-13, 09:14   Link #18
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Lyrics are quite distracting , they dont allow you to concentrate you do tend to hum them even if you know zilch Japanese . And well with normal music its worst you know the lyrics . So I prefer Osts while concentrating :P
Old 2007-03-13, 20:55   Link #19
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I have no problem concentrating with music, either with or without lyrics. I have problems concentrating WITHOUT music, that's why I always wear my headphones while studying.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 14:21   Link #20
Mueti
あ!

I don't know which would be worse, being unable to concentrate with or withour music.
I usually haven't a problem with either, only once in a while there's one song that just floats into consciousness every time I hear it and keeps me from focusing. It's rather rare though.

The worse the music, the less I even notice it, I believe this is some kind of self-protection in order to survive.