AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

Old 2012-10-20, 20:51   Link #541
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I don't think so. The characters in the preview still look like their current designs.
Really? The female character in the preview looked like an older Saki to me.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 21:10   Link #542
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

So that what happen so where is Professor Xavier when you need him
Old 2012-10-20, 21:16   Link #543
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
So that what happen so where is Professor Xavier when you need him
Good to know I'm not the only one who thought of that, lol. Charles Xavier would have made such a huge difference to this world.
Old 2012-10-20, 21:23   Link #544
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Good to know I'm not the only one who thought of that, lol. Charles Xavier would have made such a huge difference to this world.
Yea if these kids had an elder mentor to rein them in we wouldn't have had "Boy A" use his powers the way he did and this whole thing wouldn't have started...
Old 2012-10-20, 21:31   Link #545
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Yea if these kids had an elder mentor to rein them in we wouldn't have had "Boy A" use his powers the way he did and this whole thing wouldn't have started...
Well, where there's a Professor Xavier, there's a Magneto.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 21:44   Link #546
Amoiro Nguyen
lazy onee-sama

Now it's getting interesting, the episode was very good.

Looks like I guessed right, kids considerated to be a threat are executed or emprisoned. And the punishment to small "crimes" is sealing the cantus. There are also those changes they made to human genom so humans would refrain from acting violent towards other humans.

I'm looking forward to more revalations next episode.
Old 2012-10-20, 22:08   Link #547
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Really? The female character in the preview looked like an older Saki to me.
Just a bit, probably due to a change in staff. But those are not the 14 year-old designs so no timeskip yet.
Old 2012-10-20, 22:20   Link #548
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonto View Post
While I found it interesting, I did think the whole exposition thing went on for a tad too long. Almost half the episode was characters standing and listening to this creature. Surely they could've made the whole thing a bit more diverse and find a way to visually represent some things.
But this much exposition was definitively necessary so I think they handled it pretty well. It wasn't boring since it was pretty epic in proportions.
A big part of that scene was to let us observe how each kid took the news, all except Shun eventually went I-don't-want-to-know. Saki and Shun were the top two in terms of mental fortitude.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 22:53   Link #549
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
It's neither an absolute rule nor just a rule of thumb. It's device to naturalize the exposition. It's not the only one though.

Why does the infodumping in this episode work so well? As Guardian Enzo said, it's because it fits with the plot, but more specifically because it feels that it was meant more for the kids than for us the audience. We had already guessed most of what was told thanks to all the foreshadowing, so for us it was mostly a confirmation. For the kids, on the other hand, learning all that stuff was a life-changing event.

Now if your infodumping is just an easy way to tell the audience about the plot, your storytelling is failing big time.
Aye, I can agree with that. Good post. It just kind of surprised me that the 'Show, don't tell' thing was raised at all, because, well, the one rule in storytelling that trumps all others is 'If it works, it works,' and if the scene works perfectly and doesn't violate the spirit of show, don't tell, then I don't see why others would raise the issue to begin with... but yeah.

On a simpler note, does 26 year old Saki have nice boobs?
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 23:43   Link #550
HandofFate

oh man Monk dude is a hero.
I have a feeling he's gonna die in next episode, but he did his duty.

The info dump was kind of overwhelming.

I feel that the "sealing their PK" is just a mental block. The monk guy just tells him he's gonna seal their PK, and punctures the paper. Now the kids think their PK is sealed, and they don't even try to use to find out because they're so afraid.
Old 2012-10-21, 00:03   Link #551
supermegasonic

saw the 1st 2 episodes. can someone tell me who apparently "disappeared" at the ending of the 1st episode, amano reiko or something??
Old 2012-10-21, 00:11   Link #552
whitecloud

from the look of PV, and the sound of it saki seems to be yelling at satoru to stop and satoru said i have no choice but at the end they seems to be having sex anyway, just like what the library said about bonobos about the way of relieving stress...

i wonder if the other, mamoru, maria and shun will do it as well they seem pretty stressed too, especially after this they will be chased by those queratts from the preview...
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 00:46   Link #553
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
oh man Monk dude is a hero.
I have a feeling he's gonna die in next episode, but he did his duty.

The info dump was kind of overwhelming.

I feel that the "sealing their PK" is just a mental block. The monk guy just tells him he's gonna seal their PK, and punctures the paper. Now the kids think their PK is sealed, and they don't even try to use to find out because they're so afraid.
The monk murdered a library, no chance he was going to survive for long after that . Burning books is bad karma.

Does seem likely the whole sealing thing is just a mental block. Considering how far they went to condition them regarding hurting people, seems rather easy to 'seal' away their abilities. Even if they know it's conditioning, not going to be easy to break through it (if it's even possible).
Old 2012-10-21, 00:54   Link #554
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Two percent of the population left? That is insane. Basically, the human race is on the verge of extinction. All of the other tidbits mean nothing without that piece of info. So the remaining humans are genetically modified so that they cannot kill another human, and strong stressful emotions cause acts of intimacy, skinship in the young, sexual acts in the older.

The entire explanation is not only disturbing, but extremely well thought out and logical. It's entirely believable. It explains all of my previous questions:

1. Where are the ruins? The war was so bad there was nothing left standing.
2. Why all the new species? The human mind is subconsciously affecting the environment.
3. Why the cruelty? Fear and power.
4. What happened to the scientists? True science was able to preserve the last remaining humans after the first 500 years or so of civilization collapsing and regressing, and morphed into religion afterwards.
5. Why didn't the parents speak out? They literally cannot.
6. What about knowledge? What little was left, was destroyed. Only tradition remains, and only a few are left who understand the basic reasons why those traditions exist.

One final bit of info that should scream "remember me, I'm important!": when the original psychics underwent extreme stress, their telekinesis underwent extremely rapid evolution. While the "librarian" mentioned the genetic modifications of other traits, this one was not mentioned as being touched.

Also, the way the librarian was speaking, I am thinking that it was artificial intelligence that had evolved into a creature, or a machine that developed intelligence as a result of the evolution. It was very robotic, and requested very outdated information. The image of the human at the end makes me think that the scientists put that in as a defense mechanism (along with the hypnosis light) in the hope that the information would survive well into the future.

Final thought - it's interesting how many people here are focusing on the sex. I'm satisfied with the explanation, I don't see a need for the show to demonstrate it.
Old 2012-10-21, 01:16   Link #555
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
, and strong stressful emotions cause acts of intimacy, skinship in the young, sexual acts in the older.
Regarding this, I don't think strong emotions cause intimacy, but rather the intimacy was used to deter strong, hostile emotions. That was just the scientists being aware that sexual attraction is a natural instinct, and repressing those instincts would be counterproductive to their goals and cause unnecessary frustration.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 01:19   Link #556
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Regarding this, I don't think strong emotions cause intimacy, but rather the intimacy was used to deter strong, hostile emotions. That was just the scientists being aware that sexual attraction is a natural instinct, and repressing those instincts would be counterproductive to their goals and cause unnecessary frustration.
Maybe both? In the description of the bonobos, it seemed that they became sexual in response to emotion, rather than emotional in response to sexual feelings. We'll find out next week, I guess, which it might be here.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 01:21   Link #557
Somnus
Eh?

Shame on me for only getting into this series now (ep. 4), it's unbelievably fantastic. Admittedly I was struggling a bit with the first episode, as there was really nothing in it that hooked me until the very end. Episodes 2+ had fixed that however, and like many in this thread I find it hard to believe the episodes are actually ending and 20 minutes have passed. Though this is mitigated somewhat thanks to that wonderful ED, where both song and image are pure joy.

Since I'm a little late to the discussion, there's pretty much only one thing I want to address (or rather, agree with).

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Is it possible that the Queerrats are humans and that they look that way due to suggestion placed on the PKs? The monk became sicker after killing them.
After seeing them in episode 2(?), and later in episode 4 this is something that immediately came to my mind. It would explain the "death feedback" quite nicely, and the present location of "normals", though some of the library's info dump cause me not to sit on that theory with conviction just yet.

Anyways, glad to be on this ride and definitely eagerly waiting for more.
Old 2012-10-21, 01:27   Link #558
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
A big part of that scene was to let us observe how each kid took the news, all except Shun eventually went I-don't-want-to-know. Saki and Shun were the top two in terms of mental fortitude.
I thought Satoru took it the best, the way he kept listening even though he didn't like what he was hearing. Shun was a little to fascinated by what he was hearing for my taste, and Saki looked like she was ready to strangle herself.

I think we can all agree that Mamaru took it the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermegasonic View Post
saw the 1st 2 episodes. can someone tell me who apparently "disappeared" at the ending of the 1st episode, amano reiko or something??
Yup -- nothing good ever came of being named "Reiko" in a horror anime.

Quote:
Two percent of the population left? That is insane. Basically, the human race is on the verge of extinction.
2% of the current population would still be 140 million people -- lower than it's been during recorded history, but nowhere near extinction. And that was at the end of the PK War -- we don't know what the population's done in the centuries since then.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 02:12   Link #559
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
2% of the current population would still be 140 million people -- lower than it's been during recorded history, but nowhere near extinction. And that was at the end of the PK War -- we don't know what the population's done in the centuries since then.
True, the information is sketchy, but the picture painted is one of social collapse and regression. That's where I pulled the "verge of extinction" from, not on numbers alone. The minimum for human survival is estimated to be roughly 5,000-10,000, and there is evidence to support a previous near extinction event for humanity when the Toba supereruption exploded roughly 70,000 years ago.

Still, all speculation.
Old 2012-10-21, 02:14   Link #560
Kazu-kun

Quote:
skinship in the young, sexual acts in the older.
I think even the young engage in sexual acts. The anime was just subtle about it imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
I thought Satoru took it the best, the way he kept listening even though he didn't like what he was hearing. Shun was a little to fascinated by what he was hearing for my taste
Satoru freaked out at one moment though. And Shun wasn't "fascinated". He was as worried and disturbed as the others but he knew they needed to know this so he kept listening as much as he could.

Tags
adventure, fantasy, science fiction, supernatural