AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

View Poll Results: Maria-sama ga Miteru 4th - Episode 13 [END] Discussion / Poll
Perfect 10 31 50.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 22.95%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 11.48%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 8.20%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 6.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-31, 01:52   Link #41
kemque

I really don't like the 4th season. Maybe there're many ppl like it but not me. It's so much around Yumi and Touko. It's not that I don't like Touko.The reason that roots me with Maria-sama is the relationship between Yumi and Sachiko, in this season, Sachiko is not a main character anymore.
Old 2009-03-31, 01:55   Link #42
Molenir

Quote:
I keep hearing how terrible anime economics are these days -- but there are just about exactly the same number of new shows this spring as there were last (over 40). Hope springs eternal, lol.
Wait 6 months, and then see where things stand. Animation isn't a next day kind of thing. Things that are in the pipe already have financing arranged. Its new projects that will have trouble getting the funding, and getting off the ground.
Old 2009-03-31, 05:40   Link #43
agila61

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
It is good to be hopeful, but Studio Deen was unsure if this season would be animated as a TV series or as an OVA. ...
With good reason ... few television shows that take their main storyline to OVA because of poor television ratings ever come back to television.

Quote:
... That says to me that any more animation is unlikely - although I'd love to be pleasantly surprised (I have to admit to being surprised by the existence of the OVAs and this season as well). ...
In the conditions of two years ago, I'd guess that if it had a series on television, it could at least have an OVA release to follow on.

Now, all we can do is buy the DVD's and hope. Buy an extra set for your local library if you can afford it.
Old 2009-03-31, 06:37   Link #44
-Kh-
ポルカ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemque View Post
I really don't like the 4th season. Maybe there're many ppl like it but not me. It's so much around Yumi and Touko. It's not that I don't like Touko.The reason that roots me with Maria-sama is the relationship between Yumi and Sachiko, in this season, Sachiko is not a main character anymore.
Funny enough, that's the main reason why I didn't like much seasons 1 and 2. I can't stand Sachiko
Old 2009-03-31, 08:26   Link #45
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kh- View Post
Funny enough, that's the main reason why I didn't like much seasons 1 and 2. I can't stand Sachiko
I'm rather amused that Maria-sama attracts the yuri crowd, since the only part that is like that is Sei's background story, and possibly the relationship between Rei and Yoshino.

I actually like it more for the 'slice of life' feel of the series.
Old 2009-03-31, 08:29   Link #46
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

slice of life? This series is as character focused as you can get. It is school drama if anything else. Slice of life in an school setting would mean something like Sketchbook ~full colors~
Old 2009-03-31, 09:50   Link #47
Man0warr

Maria-sama is very popular and has always sold well, I wouldn't worry about a 5th season not coming. I think the whole reason they focused so much on the main story of the 8-9 novels (as opposed to the usual 6-7) they covered during season 4 is proof enough they want to and are planning to get the series finished now that the novels are.
Old 2009-03-31, 10:01   Link #48
onee_sama89

Quote:
heee? why u can't stand with sachi??

Hmm i agree that 4th seasn isn't satisfy enough.Since 1st season to 3rd the story always focus n sachi n yumi but why in 4th season, too much focus on yumi with touko?! b'coz of it i relly hope there will be an ova after it.
Old 2009-03-31, 11:39   Link #49
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemque View Post
Unfortunately, administrations have to change hands, and some people have to let go, move on and live. Sachiko knew that as the day of graduation comes, she knew that she had to make amends, prepare to clean house and deal with the loose ends so that there will be no strings attached.

Quote:
At least she had matured enough, abandoning much of her old behavior which caused much trouble at the very beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyu View Post
I'm rather amused that Maria-sama attracts the yuri crowd, since the only part that is like that is Sei's background story, and possibly the relationship between Rei and Yoshino.

I began watching at the beginning years ago because of the mistaken assumption it had "yuri" elements, much of the hype due to Sei's sexual orientation and "les" tendencies.

By this end my viewpoint of the story has changed completely, a drama that doesn't have to contain everything off-the-wall (with the exception for the bizarre case of Kanako's relations with her would-be "stepmother"), and damn well the lessons have grown on me, having realized what hardship and understanding it takes to be responsible for the people to care for, and the administration to command, and how far one has to fight to maintain relationships even to the point of straining.
Old 2009-03-31, 13:34   Link #50
agila61

Quote:
Originally Posted by onee_sama89 View Post

Hmm i agree that 4th seasn isn't satisfy enough.Since 1st season to 3rd the story always focus n sachi n yumi but why in 4th season, too much focus on yumi with touko?! b'coz of it i relly hope there will be an ova after it.
But season four was all about Sachiko-sama x Yumi-san ... Sachiko, under Yumi's influence, growing into a Rosa able to be a responsible grande soeur (even if still a meddler) ... Yumi, under both Sachiko's guidance and Sachiko's pressure, growing into a someone able to be a grande soeur herself (even if still a meddler ... being a meddler, after all, is a family trait of the Rosa Chinensis clan).

That is, season 1 Sachiko-san, before the growth from her relationship with Yumi, could never have had the conversation with Touko-chan on the stairs. Someone who cannot see Sachiko-sama x Yumi-san there is not looking.

Season 1 Yumi-chan, before the growth from her relationship with Sachiko, would never have stepped back from her first rejection and understood the patience she would need to make Touko-chan her petite soeur. Someone who cannot see Sachiko-sama at her shoulder when she makes that transition is not looking.

If the relationship vanishes when the two are not in the same room, then there goes the whole subtext from the season 1 subplots about some of these school relationships able to survive decades of separation, that Sachiko-sama and Yumi-san are developing one of those relationships. Or the same subtext in a different way in the photograph that Touko-chan carries.
Old 2009-03-31, 13:50   Link #51
gokigenyou

Hello all,

I really enjoyed this final episode of season 4.

Seeing Touko not only remove her mask in front of Yumi, but to go so far as to share with Yumi her deepest secret, her greatest pain, I thought, was touching. For someone like Touko, being that intimate with anyone is very difficult, and shows how much effort she is putting in, for the sake of Yumi.

I am hopeful that we might see a Season 5, even if it is just in OAV format similar to season 3. I think there might just be enough content remaining to accomplish that....

* The actual soeur-ing of Touko. (We only saw Yumi imagine such a scene this episode, but I want an official one!!!) Go go Rosa Chinensis en Bouton Petite Souer!! (the only Rose family to have all 3 tiers!)

Spoiler for *:
Old 2009-03-31, 13:53   Link #52
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

More similar to Shimako herself - Noriko won't need to be a rose in second year.
Old 2009-03-31, 17:56   Link #53
-Kh-
ポルカ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyu View Post

Well, when I started watching Maria-sama, was in the same way as I start watching any new series: Expectations = 0. Unless they are sequels, or animes from a gme or manga that I previously know, I usually just make sure that the anime is not for children or yaoi; if those 2 points are cleared, then I'm ok to watch it.

It's not like I go around looking for yuri stuff to look at. I just watch any new anime that satisfy those requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onee_sama89 View Post
It is nothing personal really. I've always thought that Maria-sama is great, but this 4th series just made me think that it was outstanding, same as Jigoku Shoujo S3 for example.

YumiXSachiko is a nice a heartwarming story for me. But when both Touko and later on, Noriko, were introduced, it just made the story so much better. I just liked them there much more.

And I have to say that I like the 3 original rosas better (S1).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
At least she had matured enough, abandoning much of her old behavior which caused much trouble at the very beginning.
That's true, although I belive that's one because of the focus change in the series, going from the onesama point of view, into a petit-soeur one.

Just as an additional comment, and since I don't really read Light Novels, another thing I want to see (besides more Touko and Noriko) is YoshinoXNana.

But just to not give a wrong impression, I don't watch Maria-sama for the yuri factor, but just for how the relationships develop. I'm as much interested on Yuki and Suguru, it's just that female relationships are much more appealing (on my eyes).
Old 2009-03-31, 18:55   Link #54
cynicalicious
I like pie.

Quote:
Just as an additional comment, and since I don't really read Light Novels, another thing I want to see (besides more Touko and Noriko) is YoshinoXNana.
It's a shame that they cut almost all of the Nana stories from season 4, because Nana is full of win. They were in the same books as some of the Touko/Yumi stories, but due to time limitations, you can only go with one plotline, so Nana had to sit it out for the most part.

If they do a 5th season, maybe they can pick those stories up. It would be nice, but notice that I am not holding my breath, since they already alluded to those stories in actual episodes/previews (Rei's 10 year old boyfriend and the kendo match between Nana and Rei.)
Old 2009-03-31, 20:02   Link #55
agila61

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalicious View Post
... If they do a 5th season, maybe they can pick those stories up. It would be nice, but notice that I am not holding my breath, since they already alluded to those stories in actual episodes/previews (Rei's 10 year old boyfriend and the kendo match between Nana and Rei.)
Bringing up again my one person advocacy for a Season Five to finish the series and THEN a Lillian Tales OVA to animate side stories, flashbacks, Camera-chan, and in general plotlines that were skipped along the way.

I think its called an ambit claim.

Nothing I can do to make it happen but buy the DVD's that become available, and if money permits buy another set for the local library, but I have never noticed inability to do something stopping hopeless internet advocacy before.
Old 2009-03-31, 22:36   Link #56
cynicalicious
I like pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agila61 View Post
I think its called an ambit claim.
You could also just call it tilting at windmills... but hey, dreams can come true. (But unfortunately, so can nightmares.)

I'd love to see it as much as you would, but right now I'm wondering what the economy is going to have to say about it. I'll be interested to see how the rest of the sales numbers come in for the rest of the season 4 DVDs in Japan.

EDIT-- D'oh. NVM. Didn't know that Animate now blocks IPs outside of Japan. Bummer.

Oh, yeah... ep 13, yeah, that was great! (Gotta stay on topic, huh?)

Last edited by cynicalicious; 2009-03-31 at 23:08.
Old 2009-04-01, 09:17   Link #57
agila61

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalicious View Post
... I'd love to see it as much as you would, but right now I'm wondering what the economy is going to have to say about it. I'll be interested to see how the rest of the sales numbers come in for the rest of the season 4 DVDs in Japan.
An advantage of being an old geezer is I've been through hard recessions before back when I was a young geezer ... if season 5 after the recovery starts, 2010 or 2011, and Lillian Tales is 2012, I just hope I don't fall over dead before it happens.

Quote:
Oh, yeah... ep 13, yeah, that was great! (Gotta stay on topic, huh?)
Ahem, which is to say that Episode 13 demonstrates what is so right about animating Maria-sama ga Miteru, and stands as yet another argument for finishing the series, with a broadcast season if they can do it and an OVA series otherwise, and then going back and animating an OVA release of "Lillian Tales".

But, yeah, you're right, its wandered off the topic of why ep13 is great to why Maria-sama ga Miteru itself is great.
Old 2009-04-06, 15:03   Link #58
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Took me longer than usual to reply been busy so ill make short.

I was completely satisfied with the final episode and 4th season. Maria-sama as a series has never let me down and I had no doubt it would live up to my expectations this time around as well. You cant help but to love all the characters in the series and thats rare.

Im hoping for one final season to close out the whole series but we will see there is still plenty of material to be used in an anime.
Old 2009-05-26, 13:34   Link #59
Marko
Blick Winkel

Unlike most of you, I discovered Marimite just 2 weeks ago, and I've seen all 4 seasons in just... well, two weeks.
When I saw the last episode of the last season, I felt like one of my friends have been killed. Indescribably sad.
Even though I saw hundreds of anime, no one has been able to stole my heart like this one. But you guys have already described this kind of feeling, and I don't need to say anything else.
I'm just grateful I've discovered Marimite nowadays, since I would have not been able to stand uncountable years waiting for a new episode.
Thanks to God I'm studying Japanese, and I'm gonna buy the uncovered novels to know how this heavenly story is gonna end. Won't there be any new novel after the 33th, is that so...?

[I'm sorry about my bad English]
Old 2010-09-07, 12:00   Link #60
kitten320

I've been hearing about this series A LOT and finally about 2 years later I've decided to watch it... suprisingly I had enjoyed it quiet a lot and season 4 was my favorite one for several reasons.

Don't hate me but...
Sachiko/Yumi relationship is deep and all and I kinda like it but during 1st two seasons it was going in circles... Yumi constanyly thought of Sachiko as her belonging (well not exactly but very close to it) and bunch of misunderstanding kept happening. The best part of their relationship was the begining.

Then came season 3 which finally gave a deeper connection to them and actually showed how close they are, that was refreshing.

But the problem with this 3 seasons was that Yumi kept seeing, talking and thinking ONLY about Sachiko! Yeh she did worry about her friends but Sachiko still was a center. It is nice that she loves her so much but those feelings started to remind me of obsession... Yumi was slowly stopping being a human with rational mind. The moment Sachiko would graduate, she would definetly fall in depression and whole 3rd year would be kind of a waste.

That's why I like season 4... it still had Yumi/Sachiko moments and showed their closiness but it also allowed Yumi to finally open her eyes and see the rest of the world, not only Sachiko. She had finally developed and now her feelings are not an obsession anymore. She still loves her onee-sama dearly but now it looks more pleasant for eyes.

And she had finally accapted someone else, her world had not stopped and is moving smoothly now. She won't fall in depression next year. Touko also is one of my favorite characters and she actually made things move instead of going in circles all over again.

So yeh I enjoyed this season a lot, seeing Yumi develop while still keeping her bond with Sachiko was very refreshing. And having accept Touko as another close person to her is only a huge plus in my book. And to be fair I started to like Touko/Yumi more, they kinda have bigger chemistry in my opinion and Touko deserves to be happy. She is more lonely than Sachiko though that my change eventually for her too.

Season 5 or an OVA would be a huge welcome in order to see how Yumi will be dealing with both of them now.

P.S. Sorry if some of my words above are unclear, I'm not english so maybe I have described some things in not completly right way as I planned to.