AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2020-06-29, 14:54   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 984 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

That time is upon us once more, folks! Credit goes to Redon and co. from AP for the info:

-Chapter title is "My Bible". Ministory shows Lola and Chiffon making the infamous Eneru face when Pound reveals he's their father, heh.

-Ulti and Page One recover from their beatdown from last chapter, and are very much still in the game. The surrounding Hundred Beast pirates note that dinosaur Zoans are among the tougher and sturdier DF users. As for Luffy and Yamato, the latter wants to talk to the rubber man in a place devoid of Kaidou's men. Luffy, being the hothead he is, fights back against Kaidou's child since he doesn't like being dragged around by a stranger. Eventually, Yamato uses a smokescreen to distract the surrounding enemies and escape with Luffy.

-At the stage, Orochi continues making his pre-execution speech. However, he's unaware that Robin, Jinbei, Hyougoro and several other samurai have already infiltrated the banquet hall! Outside, Law uses his ability to warp himself and the Scabbards onto Onigashima from the submarine. And on the subject of Law's group, one of the Scabbards is in for a pleasant surprise: Okiku reunites with her long-lost brother, Izou! He and Nekomamushi are dropped off by Marco, who noticed something strange out in the ocean, and goes to check it out.

-Back at the stage, Orochi is joined by Kaidou who, after being that Big Mom will arrive soon, plans to make an a special announcement during the execution. We then go back to Luffy, who are safely isolated in the castle's attic.The rubber man gives the youth five minutes to speak his purpose. Yamato explains that he was present for Kouzuki Oden's execution twenty years ago, and was impressed by the samurai's resolve. However, he was frustrated by the fact that it was his father and Orochi who killed him, and his father even beat him up after saying he wanted to be like the deceased samurai. Later, he happened upon Oden's journal in the Kuri province, which he considers to be his bible. Neither Kaidou nor Orochi are aware of the book's existence. Now, Yamato (who's unaware that the Scabbards are still alive,) intends to inherit the late Oden's will and help open Wano's borders to the world! At this point, the youth's mask comes off.... and it's revealed that YAMATO IS ACTUALLY A WOMAN!!! Luffy is confused, since she introduced herself as Kaidou's son, but Yamato answers that since Kouzuki Oden was a man, she'll be a man, as well. She also admires Luffy's strength, and wants to fight alongside him, saying that he reminds her of his late brother, Ace.....!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2020-07-03 at 10:19.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-29, 15:15   Link #2
marvelB

LOL, I'm already seeing a bunch of wild theories going around about Yamato. However, I think the most interesting one (should the character actually be a woman) is that she might be based on Khutulun, a wrestler and the favorite daughter of a Mongolian warlord named, coincidentally enough, Kaidu. Though, if that's really the case, then I wonder why Kaidou refers to Yamato as his "son"? Is he a sexist dad, or do we have another Okiku situation, here....?
Old 2020-06-30, 17:03   Link #3
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It's probably legit but the whole thing sounds fake. Yamato being a woman and a friend of Ace... huh, ok.
Old 2020-07-01, 10:14   Link #4
Hoodspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It's probably legit but the whole thing sounds fake. Yamato being a woman and a friend of Ace... huh, ok.
A female who knows Ace and is potentially very helpful for the raid + Kozuki fangirl.
Yamato is a second Tama.
Why not just use the first introduced character.

Last edited by Hoodspirit; 2020-07-01 at 10:31.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-01, 18:44   Link #5
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
A female who knows Ace and is potentially very helpful for the raid + Kozuki fangirl.
Yamato is a second Tama.
Exactly. Yamato feels like a completely pointless character.
Old 2020-07-01, 18:54   Link #6
cyberdemon

It will turn out that she was Aces lover and had his child after his death
Old 2020-07-02, 04:35   Link #7
Zolton

Yamato sounds like such an obvious plot device meant to help Luffy, it's not even funny.
* Finds Luffy first
* Already disloyal to Kaido, no need to convince her to switch sides
* Has a connection with Luffy via Ace
* Strong, can use Kaido's oneshot club attack
Zolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-02, 05:57   Link #8
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Why I got a feeling that Oda took Yamato based on Kantai Collection? (Where all warships are the girls)
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-02, 13:39   Link #9
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramero View Post
Why I got a feeling that Oda took Yamato based on Kantai Collection? (Where all warships are the girls)
What you mean? Because of name? Of that is the case. It will be based on Yamato Nadeshiko.

Thought Oda probably use it cause it being gender neutral name albeit leaning toward boys

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-02, 18:11   Link #10
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

A couple spoiler pics came out, and their translation cleared up a few things. Yamato is definitely a woman, her outfit even treats us to some side boobs. The reason she wants to be called a man is because her idol Oden was a man, and she wants to be just like him. In fact, her infobox says "Kaido's daughter. Self-proclaimed "Kozuki Oden", Yamato". She wants to BE Oden.

She's been a fan of Oden since she witnessed his execution, and she has later found his diary (something Kaido doesn't know apparently) and immersed herself in his teachings.

I guess the announcement Kaido had planned was indeed Yamato's marriage with one of Big Mom's kids, and the confusion he assumed would ensue would be because Yamato's future partner would be a man. I guess only the people who have been with Kaido the longest know Yamato's true gender. So Queen and King, at the very least.
Old 2020-07-02, 18:19   Link #11
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolton View Post
Yamato sounds like such an obvious plot device meant to help Luffy, it's not even funny.
* Finds Luffy first
* Already disloyal to Kaido, no need to convince her to switch sides
* Has a connection with Luffy via Ace
* Strong, can use Kaido's oneshot club attack
Honestly, that i feel as well for whole Wano arc.
Everything has become easy plot device for Straw Hat, if things keep getting low then Wano arc can become worst arc ever in One Piece than the best arc Oda has trying to devised for years.
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-03, 01:59   Link #12
mickbis

DAMNNNNN someone in Reddit just mention that

Ace used to find a man name "Oden" in Wano and told Whitebeard about this man..

so this basically confirmed how Ace met self-proclaimed Oden "Yamato" in Wano not the real Oden

and why Whitebeard didn't realize about Oden fate
mickbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-03, 09:34   Link #13
Theia_Loki

Anyone else here get the feeling that Yamato and Luffy are going to have almost the same interaction that Oden and Whitebeard had when they first met, at least before the latter even begins to set sail complete with the exact same expression between Luffy and Whitebeard?

Oden: Let me sail with you!!!
Whitebeard: o.0!? (...what?)

Yamato: Let me sail with you!!
Luffy: 0.o!? (...wtf!?)

It would be a very amusing... and a very, very nice ironic change from where Luffy was usually the one to request very strange things and people to join his crew. I guarantee that at least one person is going to lampshade this little detail sooner or later.

And wow, Jack is a little taller than Kaido himself and he's 27' 3" tall according to one of the databooks (and makes Queen and King look short by comparison, makes me wonder why he hadn't retaliated already to their bullying before). That's surprising considering how they seemed to exaggerate Kaido's size as they did with Big Mom in the anime.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-03, 10:48   Link #14
marvelB

Geez, last chapter thread I joked that the new nakama hype only applied to the ladies.... way to take that literally, Oda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
Yamato is a second Tama.
Heh, one of those wild theories I mentioned before was that Yamato was actually a future Tama..... which may not be entirely impossible since Toki's death means her DF is up for grabs. But as I recall, her ability only goes forward, not backward, in time. Otherwise, it is quite a coincidence that she also seems to be something of a capable ninja.... which fits Tama's ambition of becoming a great kunoichi when she becomes older. Mind you, I'm not actually supporting the theory, but I do think there's at least some modicum of credence to it.

Yamato stuff aside, it's nice to see the Scabbards together again! And I guess Marco's line about spotting something out at sea means he saw Peros making his way to the island. I don't think he'll have much of a problem taking out the candy man alone, but if my assumption is right and Peros is literally carrying an army of his siblings on his person.... well, let's just say even a veteran like Marco should be on his guard, just in case.
Old 2020-07-03, 16:05   Link #15
Rainbowman

The fact that One Piece’s Yamato is female certainly is a surprise.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-03, 18:40   Link #16
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

In all seriousness, I think this time we actually have an extremely strong contender for final crew member. Yamato wants to be Oden, and she knows from his journal that he journeyed with Roger, so it makes perfect sense she would want to be part of Luffy's crew. She's also genuinely strong, she could block Luffy's elephant gun with relative ease.
Old 2020-07-03, 21:46   Link #17
SilverGlavenus

Damnnn Oda pulling traps left and right.
SilverGlavenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-03, 23:53   Link #18
necrolyte

Am I the only one thinking Yamato looks just like some fusion between Nami and the harpee girl from Punk Hazard arc ?

Also, it really looks like Luffy has way too much support for this fight, I guess that just means that Kaido is really something and Luffy will need a lot of help to beat him.
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-04, 07:13   Link #19
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrolyte View Post
Am I the only one thinking Yamato looks just like some fusion between Nami and the harpee girl from Punk Hazard arc ?

Also, it really looks like Luffy has way too much support for this fight, I guess that just means that Kaido is really something and Luffy will need a lot of help to beat him.
She looks just like another Nami clone to me. At least this arc gave us Ulti and Black Maria.

There's also Big Mom around. He needs all the support he can get.
Old 2020-07-04, 07:50   Link #20
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
In all seriousness, I think this time we actually have an extremely strong contender for final crew member. Yamato wants to be Oden, and she knows from his journal that he journeyed with Roger, so it makes perfect sense she would want to be part of Luffy's crew. She's also genuinely strong, she could block Luffy's elephant gun with relative ease.

Ironically, I feel that Oden's journal is the number one reason why Yamato WON'T become a Straw-Hat. Think about it: That book most likely contains all the secrets behind Laugh Tale and the lost history. That, in essence, would make Yamato a walking spoiler..... which would go against Luffy's core values. Remember how he reacted when Usopp tried to pry information about the last island from Rayleigh back in the Sabaody arc? And that Rayleigh told the crew they'd probably have a different interpretation of Laugh Tale's secrets if they discovered it on their own? Yamato joining would effectively erase any chances of the crew discovering Laugh Tale's wonders with a fresh pair of eyes, and there's no way I can see Luffy being down with that. No, I think Kaidou's "son's" role is best left restricted to Wano (and maybe a future ministory), not as a member of the main cast....