Notices

Old 2003-11-21, 08:37   Link #1
luckme10
Just call me G

Location: California, bay area or is it San Diego... not sure
Send a message via AIM to luckme10
Rock, Paper, Scissors World Championship

Canadian Beats World at Rock, Paper, Scissors Sun Oct 26, 6:45 PM ET

TORONTO (Reuters) - The competitors, in glitzy, off-the-wall costumes, call themselves professional athletes. Some even bring along team doctors to supervise their nutrition and take them through intense warmups.

Related Links • 2003 RPS Championships • World RPS Society

This, it seems, is serious stuff to the 320 competitors who shook their fists early into Sunday morning at the World Rock, Paper, Scissors Championships at a nightclub in downtown Toronto.

The man who did win -- and netted himself a purse of C$5,000 ($3,825) -- was Toronto's Rob Krueger, a member of the team "Legion of the Red Fist."

To achieve the lofty title of World RPS Champion, he threw a combination of rock-paper-paper, defeating his opponent's offering of three rocks.

Treading a thin line between silly spectacle and serious sport, the event drew a crowd of about 900, including many bemused spectators who wandered, with drinks in hand, among a slew of local and international media.

Andy Cumming, 28, flew to Canada from London with five other members of the United Kingdom team, as well as their team doctor who counsels them on warmups, diet and practice.

"It's an internationally played game, you know," he said, wearing a pair of worker's coveralls with the red, white and blue of the Union Jack patterned on it.

"It's a complete travesty that not many people take it seriously."

To the uninitiated, taking the playground game seriously is something of a tall order. Many competitors wore crude, homemade costumes, and played with a can of beer in their non-throwing hand.

Douglas Walker, managing director of the Toronto-based, 700-member World RPS Society, is a little more realistic about the so-called sport he promotes.

"We take rock, paper, scissors about as seriously as you take something like rock, paper, scissors. We have a lot of fun with the concept."
http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-chat/1009080/posts
luckme10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 12:31   Link #2
Shadowydreamer

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowydreamer Send a message via AIM to Shadowydreamer Send a message via MSN to Shadowydreamer Send a message via Yahoo to Shadowydreamer
And yet, Torontonians wonder why Vancouver'ites give them a serious mocking whenever possible.. ^_^
Shadowydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 12:42   Link #3
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Thanks for this wonderfully useless thread.
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 12:45   Link #4
Ryax
Animal Mafia Gorilla

Location: A place with alot of wiggers, Mattituck (Long Island) New York
Send a message via AIM to Ryax Send a message via Yahoo to Ryax
I know i could kick all their asses at rock paper scissors!
Ryax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 13:08   Link #5
krel
^_^

Send a message via MSN to krel
Quote:
The competitors, in glitzy, off-the-wall costumes, call themselves professional athletes. Some even bring along team doctors to supervise their nutrition and take them through intense warmups.
professional athletes my arse! wimps should go get a life. intense warmups, really...what are you gonna get?! a wrist sprain if you don't warm up?!

edit: they should also try a real sport, like football (soccer for all you americans out there).
krel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 13:13   Link #6
gravitation
Don't use animesuki now..

OMG that is so weird i wonder why they did that its pretty strange
Quote:
professional athletes my arse! wimps should go get a life. intense warmups, really...what are you gonna get?! a wrist sprain if you don't warm up?!
lol that is so true! there is no need to do warm ups for such a small movement, but seriously there is no skill involved in that "sport" coz its all about luck. but still lol ^_^
gravitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 13:21   Link #7
Go-lytely

The winner was on Conan O'Brien last night and he was pretty funny. He explained that there is some strategy or gambits involved. The names of the strategies were pretty amusing. A scissor-paper-scissor combo is called the paperdoll.
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 14:32   Link #8
p3psi
Oscar winning black actor

Hey look, ive posted in this thread with out saying a candain joke. Tea-Bag will be proud of me
p3psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 14:56   Link #9
Shadowydreamer

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowydreamer Send a message via AIM to Shadowydreamer Send a message via MSN to Shadowydreamer Send a message via Yahoo to Shadowydreamer
o_O; You guys get worked up about the strangest things.. It was posted as a humour, piece, I'm sure..

And go ahead and make jokes about Canada.. You'll find one of the bestest things about Canadians is that we can laugh at ourselves better than any other country can laugh at theirselves. Just make sure it's accurate or we'll laugh at *you* ^_^

-Shady.
(Who thinks RUGBY is the real sport.)
Old 2003-11-21, 16:21   Link #10
Jasio

Aye, us Vancouver'ites tend to stick to normal sports Skiing, snowboardings, and such... not RPC ... I mean comon... what'll they think up next -_-
Jasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 16:28   Link #11
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
Rock paper scissors takes intense concentration and superhuman psycological insight! Its not an easy game to win
Tzurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 16:38   Link #12
Tea Pad
Earth Died Screaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3psi
Hey look, ive posted in this thread with out saying a candain joke. Tea-Bag will be proud of me
You're coming along nicely, for sure. Here's a shiny gold star, freshly plucked from the heavens.

*tenderly places said star upon p00psi's cheek*

Awww.
Tea Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 17:29   Link #13
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
LOL. this is pretty cool...

so there are strats in paper-rock-scissors? I'd like to know a few of them so i can improve my winning record @ it. When you need to solve a situation and your options are equal in preference, paper-rock-scissor it baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea Pad
You're coming along nicely, for sure. Here's a shiny gold star, freshly plucked from the heavens.

*tenderly places said star upon p00psi's cheek*

Awww.
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 17:52   Link #14
Gaara11
~ Got Love? ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzurial
Rock paper scissors takes intense concentration and superhuman psycological insight!
So is poopin', but nobody gives prices for that. j/k
Gaara11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 18:41   Link #15
Shadowydreamer

Quote:
So is poopin', but nobody gives prices for that. j/k
Don't give people ideas..!
Old 2003-11-21, 19:40   Link #16
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowydreamer
It was posted as a humour, piece, I'm sure..
Thanks, you just proved my point. This thread is utterly useless.
Old 2003-11-21, 20:01   Link #17
Shadowydreamer

O_o; Wow.. Just because YOU may not appreciate humour, doesn't mean others might not.. Or do you dictate what is and is not allowed on the forums? (I'm new, you might be a moderator!)

Either way, have a cookie.

-Shady.
Old 2003-11-21, 20:22   Link #18
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowydreamer
O_o; Wow.. Just because YOU may not appreciate humour, doesn't mean others might not.. Or do you dictate what is and is not allowed on the forums? (I'm new, you might be a moderator!)

Either way, have a cookie.

-Shady.
The point is: I dont care if its funny or not, and Im not even Canadian, just remember that you cant post what you want on this Subforum.

Imagine if I wake up tomorrow with the urge to post something funny and incredibly useless about my country, and maybe with 500 of the 4500ish members of this forum. Funny huh? This part of the forum will turn into a mess in less than a day.

I dictate nothing, but I trust my judging abilities, and this is something not appropiate for a mature discussion (Look at the posts here if you question the maturity level of this thread.).

P.S. I hate sweet stuffs, bribe me with something else.

Of course, you can chat about whatever you want at our channel: --> irc.mircx.com #animesuki !
Old 2003-11-21, 20:23   Link #19
luckme10
Just call me G

Location: California, bay area or is it San Diego... not sure
Send a message via AIM to luckme10
yeah this thread ment to just a humerous find. Or maybe it has some subilimanary messages inscribed into it.. Either way I'm somewhat disapointed that this thread is recieving much more popularity then the one about folding proteins.... Since that one actually helps medical research....
Oh also btw how did this in any means come out as a bash on canadians? Gawd of all places you think people would post to put a discriminating offense.... I might as well be going to a black panthers forum and making cracks at jews. Now would that be very funny?
Anyways so clearly Canada is great! Anyone can see that they have the best rock paper scissors player in the world! I think by that fact alone we should all bow down by their feet. Oh Ye Canada!

Last edited by luckme10; 2003-11-22 at 01:48.
luckme10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-22, 00:23   Link #20
Shadowydreamer

*Sighs Wistfully* I guess there's a killjoy in every crowd. It wasn't directed at Canadians specifically..

But whatever. I was trying to be friendly, obviously you have no interest in being so in return.