AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-02-12, 15:35   Link #21
Go-lytely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breogan
It looks very promising. The animation is great and the characters are very nicely designed. From the little that has been told so far, the story seems intriguing.
It's not the typical "everyone looks great" anime: the journalist (I think he's a journalist, Jasconius says he looks like a detective) is disgusting.
The old people look really old (that guy from the hospital was really great).

I can only hope it has 26 episodes and not 13 like most of this season's anime
Its just 13 from what ive heard.
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-12, 16:20   Link #22
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

Err... that a-kraze web link wasn't in the actual sub they did, was it? Kinda shameless self-promotion there. ^_-

Ah, and he's a gossip magazine journalist! That makes so much more sense now in that context.
Ballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-12, 19:43   Link #23
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

Never mind.

Last edited by Ballz; 2004-02-12 at 20:09. Reason: ...
Old 2004-02-12, 21:56   Link #24
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballz
Based on what little I've seen, I'd say it's better than 100 Stories, although the two shows are fairly different. Paranoia Agent is more of a "WTF WEIRD DUDE" compared to Monogatari's "WTF FUCKED UP DUDE" tone, if that makes any sense at all.

The only real writeup I've seen is JASCII's.
lol..That "WTF FUCKED UP DUDE" makes perfect sense for Monogatari, but to make sense of the other part I need to watch the first episode. I will be doing just that tomorrow because of a five days of unexpected "week-ends" from school.

edit: According to this link the series is consist of 13 episodes.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-12, 21:59   Link #25
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui-
It was, and im the typesetter. I advice you to take self promotion back, since that's kinda damaging to my reputation if you know what I mean j/k
And it's not damaging to your reputation to fansub licensed anime?

There are plenty of unsubbed shows that will never get licensed. Why are you wasting your time subbing licensed stuff?

If we had one ep of Doraemon subbed for every time that a group either over subbed something or did something that was licensed, we could have *every* episode subbed.
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-13, 02:17   Link #26
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
First of all, PA is not licensed, but will be...
2nd Fansubbing is illegal in general, so I don't really care if you know what I mean. If someone claimed that they are fansubbing legal, then I would ask the person/group who fansubbed, if s/he got permission to fansub it in english and distrobute it over the internet from the licensed holder in Japan.
I don't think you quite understand the difference between something being licensed and something being announced that it's licensed. The reason "ethical" (no implication of actual ethics, just using terminology here) fansubbers usually wait until something has been announced to drop it is because there were no other hints that it had been licensed. Just because it hasn't been announced doesn't mean that it hasn't been licensed. Some companies aren't allowed to announce their license and/or start distributing until after a certain amount of time, to prevent a large reverse-importation of R1s into Japan. Since Geneon USA is mentioned in the credits, the show would have been licensed, if not by Geneon USA, then by whomever they sold the licensing rights to.
And people weren't arguing that unlicensed fansubs are less illegal than licensed ones. Fansubbers who drop licensed anime drop it because it may hurt sales in the US. (Either that, or they're trying to look good by following a recipe)
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-13, 05:27   Link #27
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Ever thought how ethical fansub will hurt the anime companies in japan?

Which is how digisubbing is really testing their boundaries, not only do they have to deal with people easily distributing shit raw on stuff like Winny, but they've got fansubbers threatening the very profitable international license base.

Generally, as I've stated before, fansubbing was done solely cause only the Japanese could bring suit and as such they did it only so long as it was not licensed, to promote stuff.

Of course, little needs promotion needs today, suprisingly that little is rarely done. People are doing surefire shit like Fullmetal Alchemist, Naruto, Planetes, Wolf's Rain, etc...

And to correct something, yes, PA is licensed. It's as licensed as everything else Geneon USA has distributed that was produced with their name on it.

I think Jerry Chu's quote about Gundam can probably be applied to all Anime today, it's not a matter of IF, but WHEN.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-13, 09:35   Link #28
wao
OK.

Bah, not another ethical discussion again. And microlith always suddenly appears when these things come up.

Personally, I think if you're trying to convince each other, it's been tested and the result is it's kind of pointless. If they get a lawsuit, and the entire fansub community gets fscked, too bad. You already tried to say whatever you wanted to say, so there. And if you think they suck, then don't download from them, whatever, but even though I haven't been on the forums that long it's... well... annoying. Definitely, I can skip through all of it (I almost always do), but gee, why do it in the first place? Some things are best left to be given up.

Personally, I think it's been great so far - very good animation, IMO. Expected from the rather stellar animation crew... with Masashi Andou (used to be part of Ghibli, worked on the wonderful Mononoke and Spirited Away), even though if I'm not wrong he's only the character designer, I'm pretty sure he helped with the animation and all too, to make sure the characters look close to the design and stuff, or something. Because the main character (damn I forgot her name), you could see her emotions displayed not too obviously but in a wonderful and subtle way that you can understand...

Remember Chihiro's expressions in Spirited Away? The unconscious response of everyone is that everyone could feel what she felt pretty easily. I think the same magic is working here, at least on me (or maybe I'm just obsessed.). When the main character whats-her-name was on the hospital bed and being all quiet over everything, there is a lot you can see... I think you should go see it for yourself if you want to know what I mean.

I love the designing. The stupid journalist reminded me of one of those frogs from Spirited Away... he also has some great animation. And the old man really looks very realistic. This is the type of designing I really admire. It can show a kind of simplistic realism... as in, it's not detailed-realistic, but it can capture exactly the key elements of realism...

The OP theme is kind of different, don't you think?
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-13, 09:39   Link #29
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
I think Jerry Chu's quote about Gundam can probably be applied to all Anime today, it's not a matter of IF, but WHEN.
From the ever so famous http://www.fansview.com/2004/ohayocon/012404a.htm :

Greenfield flatly said "There's really no purpose for fansubbing anymore - if it's being made in Japan, it's going to come over here."

Before, the line from ADV was "90% of new shows are licensed". We actually tried this out last year. As of Otakon 2003, of the april shows, about 50% were acquired by a US company. (I believe the final number was 15 of 27). However, 22% of the new shows in april were announced by the end of the month.(!)

Note: I believe that the number for april 2003 is still around 60% as of now and if we add on the shows that are rumored, we are still well short of 90%.

and Parania Agent is licensed but not officially announced. Geneon has this habit of funding shows and not being able to comment on them at this time.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-13, 15:27   Link #30
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Bah, not another ethical discussion again. And microlith always suddenly appears when these things come up.

Personally, I think if you're trying to convince each other, it's been tested and the result is it's kind of pointless. If they get a lawsuit, and the entire fansub community gets fscked, too bad. You already tried to say whatever you wanted to say, so there. And if you think they suck, then don't download from them, whatever, but even though I haven't been on the forums that long it's... well... annoying. Definitely, I can skip through all of it (I almost always do), but gee, why do it in the first place? Some things are best left to be given up.

Personally, I think it's been great so far - very good animation, IMO. Expected from the rather stellar animation crew... with Masashi Andou (used to be part of Ghibli, worked on the wonderful Mononoke and Spirited Away), even though if I'm not wrong he's only the character designer, I'm pretty sure he helped with the animation and all too, to make sure the characters look close to the design and stuff, or something. Because the main character (damn I forgot her name), you could see her emotions displayed not too obviously but in a wonderful and subtle way that you can understand...

Remember Chihiro's expressions in Spirited Away? The unconscious response of everyone is that everyone could feel what she felt pretty easily. I think the same magic is working here, at least on me (or maybe I'm just obsessed.). When the main character whats-her-name was on the hospital bed and being all quiet over everything, there is a lot you can see... I think you should go see it for yourself if you want to know what I mean.

I love the designing. The stupid journalist reminded me of one of those frogs from Spirited Away... he also has some great animation. And the old man really looks very realistic. This is the type of designing I really admire. It can show a kind of simplistic realism... as in, it's not detailed-realistic, but it can capture exactly the key elements of realism...

The OP theme is kind of different, don't you think?
There's a lot of subtle character poses and expressions that I recognize from Satoshi Kon's films as well, especially with the girl, Sagi-chan.

And uh... was I the only one who liked the subtle, tasteful way they fanserviced her? ^_^ Occasional, brief shots from logical viewpoints. The delicate care that went into this show is nothing short of amazing.
Old 2004-02-13, 16:11   Link #31
aroq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballz
There's a lot of subtle character poses and expressions that I recognize from Satoshi Kon's films as well, especially with the girl, Sagi-chan.

And uh... was I the only one who liked the subtle, tasteful way they fanserviced her? ^_^ Occasional, brief shots from logical viewpoints. The delicate care that went into this show is nothing short of amazing.
I agree completely. It is full of such subtle brilliance. I am glad to see that the groundbreaking quality of this series is overshadowing the entire argument about licensing/fansubbing. It's an extraordinary piece of art and as I said I will pay the admission price to see it as soon as it is available for sale. Until then I cannot resist making use of the excellent fansubs by A-Kraze, and I commend them for their work.

Roq
aroq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 09:14   Link #32
wao
OK.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Upon further examination! He has an email.... :O it looks like kaoru@mousou.com . Wanna try spamming it? XD That's actually pretty nifty, they decided to give him a detailed email and all rather than just lines... cool!

Last edited by xris; 2004-02-14 at 09:41. Reason: Removed 'advert' to fansubbers
Old 2004-02-17, 02:01   Link #33
Go-lytely

Damn, this show is so damn weird but I love it. The Yuuichi kid had me rolling whenever he did his sparkly smile. I cant wait to see how everything ties together at the end. Its like a puzzle and each episode is a piece. Anyone have a clue how the number 510 is related in the first ep?
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-17, 23:22   Link #34
gmackenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-lytely
Damn, this show is so damn weird but I love it. The Yuuichi kid had me rolling whenever he did his sparkly smile. I cant wait to see how everything ties together at the end. Its like a puzzle and each episode is a piece. Anyone have a clue how the number 510 is related in the first ep?
I thought that #510 is the Apartment number of the first victim, whats-her-name, the woman who is the doll designer.

----

I very much like the opening and closing title sequences as they're original, smart, humorous, and not at demeaningly ecchi like most of the more moronic standard shows currently being shown in Japan. Great lyrics for the song
gmackenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-17, 23:51   Link #35
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

It was also her room number at the hospital.

Episode 2 spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 2004-02-23, 16:21   Link #36
The Faction's Lord

Well, this series is very interesting, the two I have seen, I've liked. Yeah, I think the equation will continue into future episodes, it's weird how that guy gets them though. Also, anyone have any idea what the 'what's on next week' stuff means? It's very confusing (I mean the text)
The Faction's Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 17:34   Link #37
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

My theory of the moment:

Spoiler:

I dunno, that strikes me as being too obvious, though. I guess we'll wait and see. ^_^
Old 2004-02-23, 23:13   Link #38
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Ep3 is out guys. The best episode of all so far.
Old 2004-02-23, 23:15   Link #39
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

I like it, finally an adult show to watch. I think the pattern is obvious after eps3. I'm not sure if shonen bat even exists, wouldn't he have to know exactly what is going on with these people?
hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-24, 07:43   Link #40
wao
OK.

Say, I know this is a bit late, but wasn't it cool how they made a little reference to the REAL Japanese anime otaku in the 1st ep? When the police were asking around if anyone saw a small boy with a bat (gee, how unsubtle), there was this fat guy with small-typical-lolicon-looking-anime-girls-with-the-nurse-uniform-setup poster on his door...

Can't wait to get teh 3rd ep.

And if this anime is staying true to its coolness, I think they might do this psychological twist:

make it seem so cool that you will think they don't take the more obvious answer of the old guy
make it as if the old guy did it (our response would be HUH? Why the obvious guy? what a let-down)
but then surprise our assumptions and make it someone else!

Bah, though that's rather hypothetical...