AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2022-08-07, 06:19   Link #4401
Wandering Soul

Some people just prioritize being a "efficient" parent over being a loving one.
Old 2022-08-07, 13:34   Link #4402
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I know people say she lacks empathy, but I didn't get the impression that other people's feelings didn't matter to her. She's just bad at picking up on them, or maybe even her own. You see that often in neurodivergent people: the happiness of their loved ones, and even strangers, matters a great deal and they'll go out of their way to do what they think will make them happy, but it's like trying to memorize a speech in the middle of a loud crowd during a hurricane: it's a miracle when you catch anything. Thanks to that, when she says "my son does better when pushed" she actually thinks "my son will have a better, happier future if I don't comfort him" and fails to see any middle ground between spoiling him and abandoning him. Similarly when she says "I couldn't keep advancing while caring for two kids and thought splitting and leaving one to your father" what she's thinking is maybe "their present and future prosperity and happiness will benefit the more stable and profitable my career is, and they'd be better off with just one parent each who could give them plenty of attention than receiving divided attention from parents who don't have enough time". I got the impression she does want them to be happy, it's just that she's no better at figuring out when or why people are happy than Sheldon Cooper.

Of course, there's a big difference between empathy and concern for people's feelings. Inability to read people's feelings is far more common than true indifference to those feelings in the neurodivergent, for example. Also, I'm not saying that she actually is one, just that she bears some traits often recognized in people on that particular spectrum.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-07, 16:24   Link #4403
WingedAccelerator

I think she is more of a Beverly Hofstadter, but I understood the comparison.
WingedAccelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-08, 11:55   Link #4404
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
I know people say she lacks empathy, but I didn't get the impression that other people's feelings didn't matter to her.
That's not really what empathy is.

Empathy is the ability to read how someone other than yourself is thinking and feeling. Whether she has the best intentions or not is unrelated to empathy.

No one ever she said she lacks compassion. Clearly she does care about her family's well-being, but she can only think about it from her own perspective of what's right and wrong.
Given how successful she seems to be, it's clear that she got pretty far with her intellect alone, so she never needed to develop the capacity to read others.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-08, 15:26   Link #4405
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
That's not really what empathy is.

Empathy is the ability to read how someone other than yourself is thinking and feeling. Whether she has the best intentions or not is unrelated to empathy.

No one ever she said she lacks compassion. Clearly she does care about her family's well-being, but she can only think about it from her own perspective of what's right and wrong.
Given how successful she seems to be, it's clear that she got pretty far with her intellect alone, so she never needed to develop the capacity to read others.
That's my point. People often talk of people not having empathy when what they're really talking about people who don't care. As I said, people on the spectrum often have a major lack of empathy, but that most certainly doesn't imply a lack of concern for how other people feel. As you said, she cares a great deal for how others in her life feel. Problem is that she is very bad at reading others' feelings. It frankly comes as a natural result that someone who can't tell how people feel about various things and how extended situations made them emotionally would end up either seeing things from her own perspective or seeing things in terms of concrete results like grades and achievements. But even then, that's just their attempt at finding a way to measure what's a complete mystery to them. If she could've been made to clearly understand what Kei said there at the end, that the achievements she'd been seeking to give them didn't make them happy, she might have considered a different path. Of course, this could be hard to do. Even if she's made to accept that this is a truth, it would still take a lot to really make it sink in.
Old 2022-08-08, 18:13   Link #4406
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The raw for the new Oshi no Ko chapter is out. The reason I'm talking about it here is that it's extremely relevant to Kaguya

Spoiler for Spoilers:

He spoiled the end of his manga in his other manga when the former only has like ten chapters left lmao
Old 2022-08-08, 20:02   Link #4407
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Well, we kind of knew it was going that way. It is a kind of weird point to do it though, I'll admit.
Old 2022-08-09, 04:30   Link #4408
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The raw for the new Oshi no Ko chapter is out. The reason I'm talking about it here is that it's extremely relevant to Kaguya

Spoiler for Spoilers:

He spoiled the end of his manga in his other manga when the former only has like ten chapters left lmao
Spoiler for answer:
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-09, 07:17   Link #4409
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Spoiler for answer:
There's no translation yet but she doesn't really say much.

Spoiler for Oshi no Ko spoilers:

Might as well post the pic

Images
Pic
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

It's definitely not a major spoiler but it's an odd thing to do. Having her show up after Kaguya-sama's ending would have made more sense.
Old 2022-08-09, 08:58   Link #4410
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Maybe he wants Kaguya's fandom into OnK (at this point I doubt I they'll)
Old 2022-08-09, 10:33   Link #4411
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Meh why not used Mengo art, she is like other worlder there.
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-09, 17:44   Link #4412
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diluc View Post
Meh why not used Mengo art, she is like other worlder there.
I definitely would have liked to see Mengo's take on her.
Old 2022-08-10, 10:53   Link #4413
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
There's no translation yet but she doesn't really say much.

Spoiler for Oshi no Ko spoilers:

Might as well post the pic

Images
Pic
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

It's definitely not a major spoiler but it's an odd thing to do. Having her show up after Kaguya-sama's ending would have made more sense.
Magazines where manga are published in often feature gravure idols on the front pages.
It was just a special advertising the gravure as the focus with Kaguya as a cameo for fans. Considering the series itself is still in the middle of an arc, this chapter probably isn't meant to be taken seriously in terms of narrative anyway.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-11, 04:08   Link #4414
WingedAccelerator

Some panels are out for the next chapter.

Spoiler for Chapter 273:
WingedAccelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-11, 06:14   Link #4415
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

I just read chapter 272

It is a very funny and interesting one for me. So that is why Miyuki is attracted to Kaguya. Probably she reminded him of his mom
Mom is very similar to previous Kaguya when she struggled very hard to be honest with herself. Every words that she used pointed out to efficiency and her personality looks like a robot but deep down she is just very clumsy.
Kei looks very mature too.
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-11, 09:16   Link #4416
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Magazines where manga are published in often feature gravure idols on the front pages.
It was just a special advertising the gravure as the focus with Kaguya as a cameo for fans. Considering the series itself is still in the middle of an arc, this chapter probably isn't meant to be taken seriously in terms of narrative anyway.
I highly doubt it considering how Aka is. Also, spoiling something obvious is not a spoiler. If he spoiled something not so predictable regarding the ending on the other hand...

Last edited by Nachtwandler; 2022-08-11 at 10:51.
Nachtwandler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-11, 21:29   Link #4417
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedAccelerator View Post
Some panels are out for the next chapter.

Spoiler for Chapter 273:
Spoiler for Hmmm:
Old 2022-08-11, 23:53   Link #4418
BWTraveller
Born to ship

My guess would be, if this is the case, then we're going to have one last Kashiwagi love counselling session. They may not have thought they needed it since the first season, but yeah this sounds like something that demands consultation.
Old 2022-08-12, 15:43   Link #4419
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
Also no next chapter next week
Not surprising, as most manga has a week off in August.

Tags
character derailment, coming of age, desconstruction, genre shift, love triangle, memeguya, no longer our guy, quality decline, romcom, school life