AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-10, 11:16   Link #61
Amray

Yeah, I read about some of this yesterday. I saw it coming too, it was obvious that something like this would happen. 1,400 killed in one day. T'is horrible. They were so close to having a full-scale war too. Scarey thought.
Old 2008-08-10, 12:17   Link #62
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Georgian and Russian athletes embrace

Quote:
By James Munro

I went to see Georgia's Nino Salukvadze taking part in the the women's 10m air pistol. And while her country is in a state of conflict with Russia, she managed to win bronze.

She might want to share the De Coubertin award with Russia's Natalia Paderina, who took the silver. Because after the shooting medal ceremony, they hugged and kissed and smiled for the cameras in a moment of pure symbolism.

Salukvadze said afterwards how she couldn't sleep on Saturday night, she was so worried about her family back home. She was close to tears, and I had a lump in my throat as well.

How she kept it together in the media conference, I don't know, but Mr Ban Ki Moon couldn't have given a better performance.

"If the world were to draw any lessons from what I did there would never be any wars," Salukvadze said.
Shooters appeal for peace

Quote:
Beijing (10 Aug 08): Russian and Georgian medallists pleaded for peace as they shared an Olympic podium for the first time since the conflict between their countries.

Russia's Natalia Paderina won silver and Nino Salukvadze of Georgia bronze in the women's 10m air pistol event.

"This medal is good for Georgia, especially during times like this," Salukvadze said after sharing an emotional embrace with her rival. The competitors — who were once team-mates in the former Soviet Union — hugged and kissed each other on the cheeks after the dramatic final in the Beijing shooting range hall.

"I am very nervous today. It's very difficult for my people," said the Georgian. "If the world were to draw any lessons from what I did there would never be any wars.

"We live in the 21st Century, after all," she said, wiping tears from her eyes as she put her pistol down after her final shot of the event. "We shouldn't really stoop so low to wage wars against each other."

The Georgian government has decided to keep its 35-member team at the Olympics in the "best interest of the country", but Salukvadze admitted she was not sure if she would be taking part in the final. "It was nice that Natalia Paderina came up to me after and gave me a handshake. Yesterday I thought the Georgian Olympic team might withdraw.

"It's a small victory for my people," she said, looking at Paderina and adding: "When it comes to sports we will always remain friends and nothing will effect our friendship — even in such a scary event as shooting."

Silver medal winner Paderina said: "We are friends indeed. We've been shooting together for a long time. She used to shoot for (the Soviet Union). We are really friends and don't get mixed up in political things. Sports is not politics."

- BBC NEWS
Old 2008-08-10, 16:52   Link #63
solomon

Stand up ladies
Old 2008-08-10, 17:11   Link #64
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

It's pretty obvious Russia is using this as an excuse to cripple Georgia as much as it can.

The amount of force being used is totally excessive.

Heck, it wouldn't even surprise me if they ended up annexing South Ossetia after this.
Old 2008-08-10, 18:46   Link #65
Zoned87
Mr. Awesome

Russia's military superiority over Georgia is obvious.

And yes Russia annexing South Ossetia is a strong possibility... there isn't much Georgia could do about it
Old 2008-08-10, 19:03   Link #66
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoned87 View Post
And yes Russia annexing South Ossetia is a strong possibility... there isn't much Georgia could do about it
The south wouldn't be annexed by federal Russia, it would be reunited with Ossetia-Alania, which is a Russian republic.
Old 2008-08-11, 00:01   Link #67
Zoned87
Mr. Awesome

Bush, Cheney signal support for Georgia

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/...gia/index.html

Quote:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush condemned the escalated violence between Russia and U.S.-backed Georgia on Sunday, while Vice President Dick Cheney said aggression against Georgia "must not go unanswered."

President Bush chats with Russian Prime Minister Vladmir Putin at the start of the Olympic opening ceremonies.

"My administration has been engaged with both sides of this trying to get a ceasefire," Bush told NBC's Bob Costas in an interview in Beijing, China, where the president has attended Olympic events.

Bush was filmed speaking to Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin during Friday's opening ceremonies and said Sunday that he "was firm with Vladimir Putin" and that "this violence is unacceptable."

Violence has continued to rage between Russia and the western ally since Thursday, when Georgia launched an operation to crack down on separatists in South Ossetia territory. Russia said it wanted to protect its peacekeepers already in South Ossetia following ceasefires in years past. But Georgia called it a full-on invasion.

And while Russia has accused Georgia of a genocidal plot to cleanse the region of ethnic Ossetians loyal to Russia, Georgia accuses Russia of executing a long-planned war with the aim of taking control of the region -- including a key pipeline that carries Asian oil to Black Sea ports.
Don't Miss
Georgian breakaway city in ruins
Olympic shooters hug as their countries do battle
U.S., Russia tangle at U.N.
iReport.com: Send your photos, videos

"I expressed my grave concern about the disproportionate response of Russia," Bush said of his talk with Putin. "We strongly condemn bombing outside of South Ossetia."

Putin says he's concerned about the flood of refugees arriving in Russia from South Ossetia. Russian officials said more than 30,000 refugees have left South Ossetia and crossed into Russia over the past two days, Interfax reported.

"The actions of the Georgian authorities in South Ossetia are a crime, of course, primarily a crime against their own people," Putin said, according to Russian news agency Interfax.

Meanwhile, Cheney talked to Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili on Sunday, telling him that Russia's aggression against Georgia "must not go unanswered."

Cheney's spokeswoman Lea Ann McBride said the vice president spoke to Saakashvili to express "the United States' solidarity with the Georgian people and their democratically elected government in the face of this threat to Georgia's sovereignty and territorial integrity."

Georgia withdrew its forces Sunday and offered a ceasefire, which Russia refused.

"The vice president told President Saakashvili that Russian aggression must not go unanswered, and that its continuation would have serious consequences for its relations with the United States, as well as the broader international community," McBride said.

Saakashvili has called on the United States and the world community to stop the "intervention and invasion of my sovereign country."

"I think the U.S. is the most powerful country in the world," he told CNN. "I think the U.S. has lots of leverage. And I think there are lots of diplomatic means that it could be done through."
Two senior officials have told CNN the United States sent envoy Matt Bryza to the region to help with mediation.
Evidence of U.S. Military Presence in Georgia

http://www.blacklistednews.com/news-1008-0-3-3--.html

Last edited by Zoned87; 2008-08-11 at 00:14.
Old 2008-08-11, 03:16   Link #68
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Why does the software classic Ghost Recon suddenly come to mind?
Old 2008-08-11, 04:15   Link #69
killer3000ad

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/eu...sia/index.html

The Russians aren't letting up are they? Their airforce is continuing to pound targets in Georgia, claiming that the Georgians violated a ceasefire.
Old 2008-08-11, 07:09   Link #70
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/eu...sia/index.html

The Russians aren't letting up are they? Their airforce is continuing to pound targets in Georgia, claiming that the Georgians violated a ceasefire.
Before going to bed Putin will damage Georgia as much as he can I guess... especially oil and gas tubes.
Old 2008-08-11, 09:28   Link #71
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3wk View Post
Even if we were not worried about Russia, it is still not our place to send military aid to Georgia. I'm sorry, but besides the fact that the country has a similar name to one of America's states, there is absolutely no reason for America to be interested in Georgia. This is Europe and its many nations fight (if they choose to fight), and has nothing to do with America.
As you probably know, the US was interested enough in Georgia to put several European countries, including my own, under a lot of diplomatic flak at the NATO summit in March for blocking Georgia's NATO entry. The unresolved conflicts in Abchasia and South Ossetia being one of the main reasons BTW. Now fast forward less than five months and suddenly Georgia "has nothing to do with America"! Probably because the Neocon faction is intensely staring at their fingernails while the Isolationists are having their five minutes in the sun. Come next year and the roles will probably be reversed again, maybe more than once. What does not change is pointing the finger at Europe of course.
Old 2008-08-11, 09:45   Link #72
Autumn Demon
~

Putin says that Georgian president Mikheil Saakashvili must go and Russian forces continue to advance into Georgia despite the Georgian government's call for a cease-fire. I believe it is Russia's aim to replace Saakashvili with a more pro-Russian president before the fighting is over.

I do not support the current Georgian government. In addition to committing civilian murder in their efforts to retake South Ossetia, last year the government cracked down on opposition protests, a huge blow to democracy in the country. But i do feel pain for the Georgian people who are being killed by Russia's military advance into their country. Russia should accept Georgia's offer of a cease-fire, but the chance of that happening is minuscule as they are out for revenge from being attacked first.

I still don't know much about the situation in Abkhazia besides that the Abkhazians have declared war on Georgia.
Old 2008-08-11, 09:49   Link #73
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Why does the software classic Ghost Recon suddenly come to mind?
Besides that, I also suddenly remember Splinter Cell.

Okay... a few months ago Russia shot down Georgia's UAV along the border. Only a few paid attention. Now the most worrisome thing about what mess Russia and Georgia are sucked into is yet another Chechnya with more munitions.
Old 2008-08-11, 09:57   Link #74
Ellaya_dw

Send a message via ICQ to Ellaya_dw
CNN will tell you what Bush said them to tell.
They will never tell that georgians retreat because of another army that come to help them so they can start another attack. Or that geogian army killed over 2000 citizens, even kids, women and journalists. Or that even georgians hate Saakashvili, because he's world's dumbiest president. On the news he even speak with HIS OWN people on english! He's licking smb.'s boots...
But everyone afraid of Russia, everyone hate Russia, means for the whole world Russia is agressor. And Georgia just a poor victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Demon View Post
I still don't know much about the situation in Abkhazia besides that the Abkhazians have declared war on Georgia.
News said that Georgia start attack Abkhazian borders.
Old 2008-08-11, 11:27   Link #75
Amray

Russians are starting to criticise the United States because they are flying Georgian troops back from Iraq and Vladmir Putin is claiming that the west has mistaken the real aggressor in the conflict over the separatist region of South Ossetia. What's more is that NATO said that one day they will join Georgia into their alliance due to this "inappropriate attack from Russia on a small community".

If you ask me, this situation is going to get more worse than a married woman having an affair with her and her husbands own marriage councillor.
Old 2008-08-11, 11:45   Link #76
Ellaya_dw

Send a message via ICQ to Ellaya_dw
Problem is that the US newsmedia presents this in such a biased and one sided way.... Its all Russia's fault and Georgia is a perfect saint. Here in Russia I can see what all sides think about this conflict.
Old 2008-08-11, 11:55   Link #77
Zoned87
Mr. Awesome

I'm curious if Russia will shoot down a U.S. transport plane, that would probably be enough to send troops into Georgia.
Old 2008-08-11, 11:59   Link #78
Amray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellaya_dw View Post
Problem is that the US newsmedia presents this in such a biased and one sided way.... Its all Russia's fault and Georgia is a perfect saint. Here in Russia I can see what all sides think about this conflict.
Yes, you are very much so correct. I can imagine how the Russian news and the westerners news reports differ somewhat. I get all of this from British news reports and such, that is how I am keeping up-to-date with this incident. But ofcourse, Britain being close to the United States are most likely going to write it up in a one-sided way also. Ofcourse their is also NATO and the UK being a part of it.

Nontheless I will decide the outcome and my own thoughts from it, even if what I am reading does sound one-sided I still make my own conclusions on matters such as this. Why? Because that is how I am. My thoughts will not change anything I know, but I am still an individual.
Old 2008-08-11, 12:00   Link #79
Zoned87
Mr. Awesome

All news media in the U.S. is reporting the "horrible Russian attack on Georgia."
Old 2008-08-11, 12:11   Link #80
Amray

And that, my friends, says it all. A perfect example of what we were just stating about.
Closed Thread