AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2003-11-24, 19:04   Link #21
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

well, Gary's the Tenchi Otaku!
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 03:13   Link #22
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Tenchi Muyo 3rd OVA Discussion

There's spoilers here so be warned ahead of time. With that in mind,

Spoiler:
Old 2004-01-24, 04:40   Link #23
ilal2ielli
Zoom-zoom.

Send a message via AIM to ilal2ielli
Spoiler:

anyway, here's a link to a tenchi muyo family tree that sorta clears things up. http://tmau.fateback.com/articles/family_tree.html

edit: hmph.. can't get spoiler tags to work?

edit: i can't spell late at night.
ilal2ielli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 04:44   Link #24
Garylisk
Baka Neko!
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Garylisk Send a message via AIM to Garylisk Send a message via MSN to Garylisk Send a message via Yahoo to Garylisk
Actually, you're right on the money...

Spoiler:

I have not watched AniKraze's fansub of the episode yet, so I don't know how in-depth they got with their notes or anything, but there's quite a few references in episode 2 that refer to a set of Novels that were released in Japan as a prequel to the OVA series, titled "Shin Tenchi Muyo". (Popular translation: "True Tenchi Muyo", though it's also been translated as "The World of Tenchi Muyo" or "Tenchi Muyo in the World". I haven't looked into doing any translations of those texts, so I am not sure which is more accurate.)

In any case, if you want more info on the references, check out the FoT version of the episode, which we'll be releasing within the week. We're really close to being finished, all that's left is timing, encoding, and quality control... so needless to say, it's a little frustrating to have someone beat us to the punch

Not too worried about it though.

(Heh, just found out as I was posting this that they released it as a Matroska file again... I can't even watch that on my computer :P Too slow a machine hehe)
Garylisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 04:48   Link #25
ilal2ielli
Zoom-zoom.

Send a message via AIM to ilal2ielli
ah that explains tennyo's age, thanks for clearing that up garylisk, much appreciated. and btw, i, for one wanted to see your version, and i will download it for archival purposes
ilal2ielli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 04:51   Link #26
Garylisk
Baka Neko!
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Garylisk Send a message via AIM to Garylisk Send a message via MSN to Garylisk Send a message via Yahoo to Garylisk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilal2ielli
ah that explains tennyo's age, thanks for clearing that up garylisk, much appreciated. and btw, i, for one wanted to see your version, and i will download it for archival purposes
Sexcellent. :P
Old 2004-01-24, 06:40   Link #27
Tensai_kamen
Inactive Member

So tenchi's sister name is Tennyo. But this developement really caught me by surprise
cos i didn't came across any info about her before and i thought that decendency between Nobuyuki and Yosho is too far away that it make him age more like a human rather than a jurai.

Spoiler:
Tensai_kamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 07:53   Link #28
DemonEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilal2ielli
Spoiler:

anyway, here's a link to a tenchi muyo family tree that sorta clears things up. http://tmau.fateback.com/articles/family_tree.html

edit: hmph.. can't get spoiler tags to work?

edit: i can't spell late at night.

Tenchi's sister is not in this family tree. What does that meen?
DemonEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 10:46   Link #29
Shift_

okay...I'm assuming the majority of you watched the TV series...the TV series has NOTHING to do with the OVA/other TV series/Movies

The OVA series continue into eachother however...the 1st ova was OVA eps 1-6 with a Special at 7 then the 2nd OVA was 8-13.5 and the 3rd OVA that's now airing is now ep 14-whatever

They explained all the age stuff in the previous OVAs

PS the OVAs 1-2 are Licensed and you can get them on DVD
Shift_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 11:41   Link #30
Kamui-
F4

Wow, you must have a a really really old pc or something, since my 4-5yrs old AMD Athlon 900mhz plays the mkv file(s) just fine, and besides mkv is just a container, not a codec so it doesn't really take up much cpu power than a normal divx file.

Spoiler:
Kamui- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 13:20   Link #31
Wandering A.I.
エッチだ! しかたない

Ugh...I really liked the previous Tenchi OVAs, I really tried to watch this...but the art was just too godawful ugly. I might have managed if the first ~13 minutes that I did watch weren't dull and boring as well - even Tenchi left at that point, lol. I'm just giving up on OVA3, I guess. They should take a page from Yumeria's book - the male harem leader can make grotesque comedy faces, but leave the women alone!
Wandering A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 14:00   Link #32
Garylisk
Baka Neko!
*Fansubber

DemonEye: That family tree is really old and outdated. It's also based on some limited fan knowledge. Go here: http://homepage1.nifty.com/harinoue/tenchi/index.html - That page has soem better info, though all in Japanese. Click the first link under "OVA??" - That's the family tree.

Wantering A.I. - I have no idea what your qualm with the art is. I found it to be really well done. And you've found it boring? You must not be that big a Tenchi fan, I guess. Either that or you have trouble watching anime that doesn't have a "hook" in the first half of the first episode. This is the third OVA of Tenchi, and the first episode was actually episode 14, the new episode is episode 15.. so why should they have to hook people again? It's a continuation, not a new series. Having some B.S. gimmicky hook would make me feel cheated, personally. Just a waste of my time.
Old 2004-01-24, 18:45   Link #33
Wandering A.I.
エッチだ! しかたない

>This is the third OVA of Tenchi, and the first episode was

Yes, I watched OVA3 ep 1. I was giving them one more chance. ;p

>And you've found it boring? You must not be that big a Tenchi fan

Please, the earlier eps were not "family chat time" like this one. If you think this is good Tenchi then you're the one who isn't a fan. What was episode 1? Ryoko freed and hunting down Tenchi, a wild demon that had to be dealt with. Episode 2? A Jurai princess comes, imprisons Tenchi, throw in a space battle to drive home the coming competition between the two ladies. Further eps had further awesome character intros or at least something happening.

Heck take one middle ep, the haunted hot spring one, and even there we had lots of characters running around and interacting in fun ways and clues about Sasami's secret - not to mention some hot looking girls. Does episode 15 compare with even the middle eps of the earlier OVAs? Not in the least. Instead of exploding over this fiancee thing Ryoko and Ayeka sit down and agree they can't cook, wtf? One of them should have stolen Tenchi and left or for godsakes done something.

The new characters have hardly any drama. It was meant to be supplied by this fiancee crap, but it's obvious Tenchi barely cares about that so I don't see why the audience should. Ryoko was first a demon, Ayeka a powerful and overbearing princess, now what is Noike? Someone who yells and nags at the dinner table. Yeah, that's impressive. If needing a hook means needing a new important character to be more than that, yes I do need a hook. The new characters sucking is almost as bad as Ayeka and Ryoko suddenly becoming passive losers.

>I have no idea what your qualm with the art is.

I'll grab some screen shots and update this later. ;p Displaying emotion is one thing, and an important one, but visually warping the characters into monsters to pull it off is a huge failing. Shows like .hack and Avenger managed to communicate impressive things with just slight frowns, eye movements, and subvocal sounds. Yumeria does a great job using character movements. Mizuki shakes when she's mad, Mone actually gets emotion across without words just using tone, her eyes, and body movements - like refusing to be touched and running away when rejected, etc. Or at the dinner table at the birthday party, you could tell she was happy just by the way she moved her head and smiled - and none of these shows had to resort to super deformed, grotesque character faces to get emotions across.

I've loved some of the Tenchi art so much in the past that I printed it out, traced it on a light box, colored it and then tried to create my own similar works and odes to the characters. I took extra time out from working on my portfolio for AP Studio Art just because their artwork was so beautiful and I wanted to try my own hand at it. I can tell you that won't be a problem with this new OVA. The art has been butchered to try and over dramatize a boring, poorly written episode and it's terribly uninspiring. Art and story should work together making strong, memorable characters - not these ugly things that stretch their faces constantly like some fun house mirror and lose themselves.

Gah, that's so long and unreadable already I better just leave out the screenshots. ^^ I'll add bolds, that will make it cool...
Wandering A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-25, 00:44   Link #34
Garylisk
Baka Neko!
*Fansubber

Sorry... I'll just keep my mouth shut since I come off as an asshole most of the time.
Old 2004-01-26, 02:40   Link #35
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Since it's only episode 2, I'm waiting for the time when

Spoiler:

And yes, the character designs are pretty bad. All they should've done is take the design, and put today's shading and CG techniques to them. That would've been better.

For story, it's too early to tell.

A reason why the 3rd OVA may seem lackluster could be cause the creator got bumped off of the project. This true?
Old 2004-01-26, 05:16   Link #36
Garylisk
Baka Neko!
*Fansubber

Nope. In actuality, the creator, Masaki Kajishima, has even more control over it than he did before. He's overseeing most aspects of the project, and the character deesigns are actually closer to his own than before, as well.

Look here: http://fot.dyndns.org/pics/ova3dvd/ - for scans I made of the first DVD's cover/insert. The art on the front is done by Kajishima himself. Very nice, if you ask me
Old 2004-01-27, 02:59   Link #37
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova
And yes, the character designs are pretty bad. All they should've done is take the design, and put today's shading and CG techniques to them. That would've been better.
I have to agree, I really don't like the character designs for the new OVAs. The SD faces the new girls make give me painful flashbacks to Tenchi in Tokyo, although Tenchi in Tokyo looked much better animated overall. I'll keep watching, just because I hope Kajishima has more up his sleeve than the tired "add more girls and stir" formula, but I'm not getting my hopes up anymore...
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 16:41   Link #38
Garylisk
Baka Neko!
*Fansubber

Episode 3 will be introducing Mihoshi's brother, so hopefully it'll start getting more interesting then.

Spoiler:
Old 2004-01-27, 17:03   Link #39
Kamui-
F4

Actually things aren't getting more interresting, but rather more complicated. Especially after all the ages are so unrealistic, it was probably cool back then. But fans like me who was 14-15 back when the first VHS tapes was released by pioneer in 1994-1995, we are much older now and you just get a more sense of realism after you've hit an age. To me Tenchi was all down hill since the Kagato incident, there hasn't been any cool fights or anything after that, rather more like a drama now and who gets to marry tenchi etc. so from being action based now it turns into more like a drama, which changes the atmosphere quite alot. And of course the animation has changed too, but what can one really expect of tenchi after so long wait for the next ova (ova3) to be? So far it's kinda depressing since it's all about family and his love life instead of the cool Tenchi who once fought his way to save his friends and planet. So I can only hope there will be some action soon before I die of boredom.
Kamui- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 19:47   Link #40
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I used to be a huge Tenchi fan, but the series is dated now. This 3rd ova doesn't help matters much. Still it isn't bad, so I will continue to download it, but I can't help think it could have been a lot better if not for the huge gap between this and the end of the 2nd ova. Also it seems to be moving rather slowly for only 6 episodes.

hmm...Seems that there's another Kamui. Does that make me a dragon of heaven or a dragon of earth?