AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-23, 20:21   Link #1
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
Gantz

================================================== =====================
Gantz is an ongoing action/horror manga that is serialized in Young Jump. It begins with two high schoolers getting hit by a subway train . They are then transported to a room with a black ball in it. In the ball is Gantz, who tells them that their lives have ended and basically if they want a second chance they have to go on missions to kill aliens. By killing the aliens, you gain points, and at 100 points you can earn your freedom.......if you survive that long! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *COUGH*
================================================== =====================

In the translation im reading, Gantz has begun to talk in leet speak since Volume 3. Does the translator just play alot of Counter-Strike or is it how its actually translated? Don't tell me they have a form of leet speak in Japan now as well? In my opinon, the way Gantz talked in Volume 1 was way better than how it is now. If you have no idea what leet speak is you can see for yourself below how it appears in the manga:

Not really much of a spoiler but just in case

Volume 1 version:
Spoiler:

Volume 3 version:
Spoiler:

By the way I don't mean to come off looking like im bashing the translation, even if the whole thing was in leet speak I would still read it because its so cool. Im just curious as to what the official translation would be. With the anime coming out soon I really don't want to see Gantz talking in leet speak.

Shun me, for I am frumious!

Last edited by Bandersnatch; 2007-01-05 at 05:11.
Old 2004-03-23, 20:38   Link #2
Kaoru
Pirate Girl Nyuu

Send a message via Yahoo to Kaoru
Yay more GANTZ fans! ^_^ Sick manga isn't it?
That l33t speak Gantz says with the little picture is so funny!
"+00 mvch t1tty
+00 mvch w4nd3r1ng 4r0und w/0 p4nt135"

Here's a small thread from the Omanga forum about that.
http://omanga.monkey-pirate.com/index.php?topic=1735.0
Old 2004-03-23, 21:18   Link #3
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru
"+00 mvch t1tty

Haha yea, the part where they distribute the points is hilarious.

Dog
0 pts
n0 5killz
+00 mvch T0nGv3-w4gg1ng
+00 mvch T41L-w4gg1ng

Then the dog whines and walks away sad lol.

Old 2004-03-23, 21:47   Link #4
Kaoru
Pirate Girl Nyuu

LoL that dog is so cute!

I'm really liking this manga. I think Omanga is doing an awesome job and I can't wait for the next volume. The 12th volume came out last week in Japan. I wish I could read it! >_<
Have you checked out the trailer for the anime? Looks bloody good and it's by Studio Gonzo. Given that the story has yet to finish, I hope Gonzo doesn't decide to take matter into their own hands and screw it up like they did with Hellsing. Hopefully someone decides to sub it.
Old 2004-03-23, 22:14   Link #5
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

The trailer looks like it follows the first volume faithfully and I hope that it stays that way. Has there been an announcement on the number of episodes?

Old 2004-03-23, 23:16   Link #6
Kaoru
Pirate Girl Nyuu

I think it'll be your average 26 episode series. It'll broadcast April 12th on Fuji TV. That's about all the info I know right now. Yup looks like it will follow the current manga faithfully, big boobs and all! How far have you read in the manga?
Old 2004-03-23, 23:54   Link #7
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

I read volume 4 tonight, will most likely read volume 5 tomorrow. Volume 5 is the latest to be translated right? I take it Fuji tv is a cable station? The trailer didn't look like they were skimping on the violence, thats good I don't want a watered down version hehe. Big boobs always good too

Old 2004-03-24, 00:24   Link #8
Kaoru
Pirate Girl Nyuu

Yeah volume 5 is the most recently translated. With all the scary-looking bird aliens that pop out of those dummies and everything! Yeah Fuji TV is a cable station that airs alot of anime; like all the other hundreds of stations in Japan. =P
Spoiler:

There's like a ton of questions, but it's still too early to tell. Right now I'm just trying to figure out wtf is going on.
Kei-chan is frikkin funny sometimes with the way he thinks! He can be quite the pervert.
Old 2004-03-24, 01:11   Link #9
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Spoiler:

Kei kind of annoyed me at first but I like him more now. His thoughts are pretty funny, really shows him as a 15 year old.

Old 2004-03-24, 21:12   Link #10
stpehen
kisses for all

Bandersnatch: I am the translator for Omanga/Hawks Gantz manga.

The Japanese Gantz employs some creative (read: incorrect) spelling, mirror-imaged letters (which is what I started off with) and overall orthographic mischievousness.

Originally I told the editors to simply mirror-image some of the letters, but I didn't like the way that turned out at all. Eventually I decided to switch to "leet-speak," for a variety of reasons. Number one, it shares the same qualities as listed above, bizarre spelling, use of incorrect characters to mimic the appearance of correct characters, and somewhat more annoying to read.

Now, there IS a type of Japanese net-speak that is used online that shares many features with English leet-speak, but it is different from what Gantz uses. If you were to be completely anal about it, the use of English leet-speak is not perfectly analogous to what Gantz uses. However, this brings me to my second point, which is more tied into the fundamental nature of the Gantz manga itself.

Over time, you should begin to notice, if you haven't already, that Gantz itself is one big game being played out by the author. Perhaps he actually has a plan or meaning behind the setting, but for now it is apparent that what he is doing is throwing around as many wacky and stupid ideas as he can come up with. As of yet, there's no message behind this manga, it's all fun and games. Therefore, in my opinion, it is not in the best interest of the reader to take it too seriously. The Gantz character, the "giant ball," is a very flaky guy. You'll see him changing rules around at a whim, later on. All of his statements have this kind of deadpan comedic value to them. By simply translating them to perfect, standard English, I think it takes away a lot of the weirdness and humor in his dialogue. Leet-speak can be annoying (as can Gantz), but in general its usage is intended to be funny. Therefore, I have no compunctions whatsoever about using leet-speak for Gantz's dialogue. In my opinion, anyone who can't accept the reasoning behind my choice just plain doesn't understand.

The fansub groups can translate it however they want, I don't care. I will continue using my M4d 1337 5K1LLz.
Old 2004-03-24, 21:50   Link #11
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Based on what ive read in Gantz since my first post, I have to agree that the l33t sp3ak fits better than the other version and the scoring section would not nearly be as funny without it. I did take it more serious in the beginning but now not nearly as much, just having fun with it and its for the best. Btw your 1337 5k1llz r0xx0r /\/\y b0xx0rz d3wd

*Goes to watch the trailer for the 20th time*

Old 2004-03-25, 16:14   Link #12
Bullsquat
Strange Love

Gantz the anime will be the best thing to come out this year! You can bet your ass on that.
Old 2004-03-25, 16:59   Link #13
LBW
I like obscure crap

Send a message via AIM to LBW
What about Monster..? ;p
Old 2004-03-26, 14:06   Link #14
Evan
天使我爱你

Anyone knows how many episode will there be?
For what I know,the manga seems to stop production...
correct me if I'm wrong in the production thing
Old 2004-04-03, 23:13   Link #15
Spooky-Electric

Quote:
"+00 mvch t1tty

LOL!! That was hilarious. I just finished reading Vol. 2

Kurono

+00 m4ny b0n3rz fr0m sT4r1nG 47 Titz

Gantz is awesome. It's also one of the weirdest manga I've ever read.

It's weird because I still don't know wtf is going on, yet I can't stop reading the damn thing. It's so intriguing. Also I love the artwork. Some great designs so far.

Last edited by Spooky-Electric; 2004-04-03 at 23:55.
Old 2004-04-04, 00:02   Link #16
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

Quote:
LoL that dog is so cute!

I'm really liking this manga. I think Omanga is doing an awesome job and I can't wait for the next volume. The 12th volume came out last week in Japan. I wish I could read it!
it did? cool I already have volumes 3 to 11.. and I don't understand a lick of japanese haha. I could probably translate it if I wanted to but omanga is doing an excellent job. I'll probably get volumes 12 and 1-2 when they become avail on amazon.jp.

Too bad there aren't more manga like this
Old 2004-04-04, 00:03   Link #17
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

Quote:
Originally Posted by <EvAnGeLiOn>
Anyone knows how many episode will there be?
For what I know,the manga seems to stop production...
correct me if I'm wrong in the production thing
I think it's a movie not a series
Old 2004-04-08, 21:23   Link #18
Kaoru
Pirate Girl Nyuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky-Electric
Gantz is awesome. It's also one of the weirdest manga I've ever read.

It's weird because I still don't know wtf is going on, yet I can't stop reading the damn thing. It's so intriguing. Also I love the artwork. Some great designs so far.
Yeah I can never stop reading it, it's that interesting. I like the variety in characters too, and the designs are different from other manga. It can get pretty intense at times. Just want to see where the story goes and figure out what the hell is going on. I just wonder who will survive!

Also, in case anyone's interested about the anime--
Quote:
Here's a bit of an update from Natsume Maya:

Fuji TV's website for the Gantz TV anime has updated with a trailer for episode 1. Click on the upper "play" button on the right hand side of the homepage. Source: Moon Phase. The series commences broadcast on 12 April 2004.

The 2min trailer is basically the characters when they meet up for the first time. So nothing exciting or action-oriented. But this series does have plenty of it later on.
This one is going to be good.
Old 2004-04-26, 23:24   Link #19
Spooky-Electric

So has anyone been keeping up with the latest chapters of Gantz?

Omanga finished off Volume 5 and has the first chapter of Volume 6 up.

Spoiler:
Old 2004-04-27, 00:48   Link #20
ubb

Spoiler:
Closed Thread