AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-05-26, 07:29   Link #1061
Kikuchi

It wasn't a problem on PS1. Games were on 3 or 4 discs, yet all of those had the ENTIRE game on them, with only videos and event scripts differring from a disc to another.

Now, you might say I'm quite optimistic, this is PS1-era talk.
But even now Star Ocean 4 is kinda an exception, looking at how Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, The Last Remnant or even Infinite Undiscovery (from the same dev) allows backtracking without disc swapping.

In the case it actually proves impossible to to an old-style multi-disc game like those, though, I wonder if Square-Enix could consider a PS3-style installation ? Like, rather than copy the whole discs like the NXE currently does, install the necessary parts of the game so that backtracking-disc-swapping or other things like that aren't a problem.
A full installation isn't unheard of on 360 as, ironically, FFXI needs it.
Kikuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 08:02   Link #1062
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Most of 360 users hate installing their games, as far as I know. That's one of the reason the 360 fanboy was trashtalking about the PS3 for.
Old 2009-05-26, 08:06   Link #1063
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

But look at it this way...

FF13, considering it will be on BD, could very well have its entire gameworld to be bigger than how much a DVD can hold. And looking at how well detailed the trailers and the demo are, I actually would be very surprised if they manage to fit the entire game world on one 360 disc.

I can actually understand how the four games you mentioned could fit the gameworld in one disc, since the environments aren't really all that big/detailed/varied (especially in comparison to SO4, where the planets actually feel TOO BIG). But FF13? I wouldn't hold my breath.

So yeah, I really do think there would be disc swapping. Of course, they can do a 'real' installation, but that poses the problem that it would alienate a lot of users. I mean, just look at the prices... you can buy a desktop 1.5TB HDD for the price of one 360 120GB HDD, which is just plain highway robbery. In either case, 360 users really do have it tough.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 16:43   Link #1064
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
They managed disc swapping in the 3 Final Fantasys on the PS1 so I don't see why it would be a huge problem on the 360. Also I don't think I have it tough at all as a 360 user.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-27, 05:53   Link #1065
Kikuchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Most of 360 users hate installing their games, as far as I know. That's one of the reason the 360 fanboy was trashtalking about the PS3 for.
Hypocrisy. MUCH of it, I'd say.

I was with those people before, but since the option has been made available I'm installing EVERY game I play, mainly because, that way, the freaking DVD drive stops making noise.
With some games like Lost Odyssey or The Last Remnant, installing is a godsend, as it greatly reduces load times and other technical problems.

Now, I have a 120Gb HDD (hacked, no way in hell I'd pay 150+€ for a 120Gb HDD) and I know most of the people who bought a Xbox 360 before the 60Gb became standard can't exactly do like me.
But the people I know would definitely like to be able to install their games as they please
Kikuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-27, 16:26   Link #1066
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Well It seems like we have at least a lil proof that FFX13 will be released State Side next year

Ad For Final Fantasy XIII
Old 2009-05-27, 21:10   Link #1067
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Awwwww, I don't like to wait that long for the game!
Old 2009-05-27, 21:32   Link #1068
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

I'm importing it when it comes out in japan
Old 2009-05-28, 02:18   Link #1069
TubZzz
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to TubZzz
i hope the PS3 version will have a partial HDD install to help it with its load times and all that
TubZzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 02:45   Link #1070
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Awwwww, I don't like to wait that long for the game!
Try coming to Europe. It'll make you that much more patient.

...Sometimes hopelessly so.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 17:01   Link #1071
Shadow Kira01

The release date is 2010 for NA, while that Agito and Versus have yet to be announced even in Japan. It seems like a long wait..
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 06:40   Link #1072
SvenCalBayan

The song fits very well, it's old footage but still... wow !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWwr_XoHiQQ
SvenCalBayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-01, 17:59   Link #1073
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Spring 2010 release date for the Xbox confirmed with the Microsoft Press Conference (for the US)
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/988/988642p1.html

Japan has a winter 2009 release, so it'll probably be maybe, 2,3 months before it hits US shelves
Foreshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-01, 19:01   Link #1074
Iron Maw
Banned

E3 Footage, cam though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF_BU-7ySIA

Some changes so far:

Quote:
Summary
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/6478/engmenu.jpg

- battle menu is completely different from the JPN demo
- 4 slots for commands
- LB(L1) seems to change between COM/RAV
- characters have COM/RAV behind their name
- Lightning got a second bar under her healthbar with is labeled as TP-Level (in this case Lvl 5)

Menu in Detail

Assault - Stock a set of situationally appropriate commands.
- for example 4x Attack
Role Abilities > - Add commands to the queue
- Contains 4 options (from left to right, top to bottom)
Attack 1 Slot
Radial Strike 2 Slots
Ruin 1 Slot
Ruinga 3 Slots

The > contains an extra command that lets you repeat the last command you entered (I guess you need to click right to access this one)

TP-Abilities - Use TP-Ability
- ??? (no command yet)
- Summon
Items

Summons
- summoning is a submenu of TP-Abilities
- Odin has a own bar (with almost 2000), this bar constantly decreases throughout the battle (no matter if he is standing or attacking), so this could rather indicate his time than his hit points (or a mix of them)
- Szah isnt available as long as the summon is on the battle field
- Gestalt-Mode can be activated via X (or [] on PS3?)
- Lightnings TP-Bar has changed to a Gestalt-Bar that is about 20% filled right after the summon, successful attack of Lightning and Odin increase this bar

Battlestats
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/8594/finalresult.jpg
Source Game FAGS.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 03:29   Link #1075
Iron Maw
Banned

Trailer with English VA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwVQJIkNmFU

Quote:
Final Fantasy XIII 60% Complete
Yoshinori Kitase and Motomu Toriyama discuss changes from the demo, localization efforts and more.

Posted Jun 03, 2009 at 00:50, by Anoop Gantayat

Final Fantasy XIII's development is currently at the 60% complete mark, Yoshinori Kitase revealed yesterday to Dengeki Online during an interview following Microsoft's E3 press conference.

Kitase, producer of the game, appeared along side director Motomu Toriyama at the conference to debut first gameplay footage from the Xbox 360 version of the game. The chosen scene looked somewhat like it was taken directly from the recent PlayStation 3 demo (bundled with Final Fantasy VII Advent Children). However, it had English voices, English text and Xbox 360 button logos. It also marked the unveiling point of the game's first summon spell, Odin.

In a post-conference interview session, Dengeki asked the two about progress on the game in general. "The basic areas of the game are quite far along," said Kitase. "Looking at the game as a whole, we're at 60%. From here on out, we have to brush up a variety of areas as we approach completion."

Toriyama spoke specifically about the 360 version. "Even the Xbox 360 version, whose development was decided upon afterwards, has progressed smoothly enough that we were able to to play on the machine," he said. "Looking at completion level, there's still a difference, but we can see the end point and believe we can achieve the same level of performance."

The different platform aside, we were apparently shown a more advanced version of the battle system than what was featured in the PS3 demo. "The biggest change from the demo version is the battle system," explained Toriyama. "The command menus and other areas may at a glance appear to be unchanged, but they have the systems that are set to be included in the retail version, so the control has changed greatly."

Unfortunately, Toriyama wouldn't share specifics on those differences. As a hint, he said, "In the demo, the point was to finish with the 'uchiage' (launch) command. But the strategy does not end there. The specifics are still a secret, though (laughs)."

Kitase touched upon a separate area of change from the demo version. "The party members in the demo version had the role of following the main character from behind in a support role. However, this has expanded, and evolved. Throughout the last entry [in the series], the image was of a character moving only after the visual effects of magic cast by the previous character had cleared. But for this title, the next character will begin moving while the previous character is in mid move."

Aside from the debut of Xbox 360 gameplay footage, one major point of note for the press conference demo session was the Odin summon spell. Prior to the press conference, Square Enix had not provided a glimpse at the game's summon system -- not even through the usual Japanese publications like Famitsu and Jump.

Toriyama explained the summon system a bit. "Each character has his own crystal, which he uses as a key for summoning. The image is of Odin appearing behind Lightning as a knight who protects her."

Kitase made mention of a "driving mode," where the summon beasts will transform into a vehicle. His comments appeared to suggest that you'll be able to actually ride the summons. However, he also said that you'll also frequently rely on the summons to fight along side the characters in their standard form.

The two also commented on the upcoming E3 trailer for the game. Asked about points of note for the trailer, Toriyama joked "It's in English."

Perhaps a bit more seriously, however, he noted, "It's a first for the Final Fantasy series to have footage in English at this point. I believe it's a big evolution development-wise for the overseas version development to follow the Japanese version development to this level. It's because we want to deliver it as soon as possible to fans throughout the world."

Kitase revealed that the game's English voice recording is being handled by the same director ho worked on the Final Fantasy X series and other past titles.

(NOTE: I originally noticed this interview through Namae no Nai Heya, one of my favorite link amalgamation sites. The link to the original Dengeki Online story as provided by the site was dead -- or perhaps removed. However, I was able to find a version of the story at Yahoo)

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2009-06-03 at 05:44. Reason: Wrong link damnit! >.<
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 04:49   Link #1076
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

To the people(stupid fanboy twats) making claims on how the 360 will be handling FFXIII . Stop acting like FFXIII is the first big jrpg on the system...

That said, I'm buying the ps3 version, but that just because it personally feels wrong to play FFXIII on xbox360. It feels like cheating on your wife. xD

ps; lol @ buying a ps3 for FFXIII, if you bought it for FFvXIII you might have actually made a point. >_>
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 07:06   Link #1077
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
They managed disc swapping in the 3 Final Fantasys on the PS1 so I don't see why it would be a huge problem on the 360. Also I don't think I have it tough at all as a 360 user.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the PS1 discs were exactly the same except for the CG movies weren't they? This is hardly going to be the case with FFXIII.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 08:14   Link #1078
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
JP website gets a bit of an update today and I think they'll be releasing another trailer on the 5th: (2 more days)
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/ff13/

*fangirl rant*
and uh FF14!?! ><;;;
We don't need another FF11, we need the FF 13 franchise sorted out first dammit!!
- Why was there no new info on vs13 at E3!!!?

As for 60% complete - to release in Winter (let's say Christmas)
6 months to go, are they really gonna get their ass in gear to complete that final 40% by then?

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2009-06-03 at 08:33.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 09:12   Link #1079
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
*fangirl rant*
and uh FF14!?! ><;;;
We don't need another FF11, we need the FF 13 franchise sorted out first dammit!!
- Why was there no new info on vs13 at E3!!!?
You may don't need it, but I'm pretty sure a lot of people will need it.
And I believe different team manages different title, so what's with the ruckus?
Old 2009-06-03, 09:41   Link #1080
jonli
JONLIの憂'

The english VAs are not bad at all.

I'm pretty sure the lines are temporary too because you can see that the lips are synched to the words properly yet.

As long as they are as good as FFXII i'll be happy.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
final fantasy, ps3, rpg, square-enix, xbox 360