AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2011-07-18, 16:20   Link #8241
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroDave View Post
eheh, it sounds more like we agree to agree. Regardless of the reason (ie: poor writing), Asuka is a boring character. She was off to a strong start by barging in with her baseball bat, and I liked the whole 'DON'T LOOK DOWN ON THE COUNTRYSIDE!' part... but what did she do after that? She was just kind of 'there' in the whole Kazama arc. Did she even do anything beside stand there looking uncomfortable? I honestly don't remember, since she had no impact on the story. And now she's just the place-holder girl for Haruto to dump. At least if it was Nanami we (the readers) would have some investment in the outcome.

Seo definitely excels at being a world-class troll.

But I think you sort of answer your own question there. One thing I learned from reading Bakuman is that the most important thing a manga has to have is to be interesting. So by stirring up the outrage in his readers, he keeps them coming back because we have to see what happens next! Just reading the awesome flame-wars in this forum is ample evidence of his trolling-skills.
If it wasn't for the fact that I'm not really paying for it, I wouldn't keep coming back personally. I just give it a cursory glance when the spoilers come out to see what Seo's pulling next. My interest in the series is pretty much rock bottom and I'm only really around to read the funny back-and-forth of forum goers who sound like they're sitting behind their computers going "Hulk SMASH!" at each other whenever someone writes something they don't like. I just grab some popcorn and sit back for a good chuckle.

To me, KNIM will forever be a black stain on Seo's record. I enjoyed Suzuka enough, but even that was a strain to read due to idiotic characters and a really bad lead girl. KNIM just took that all to a new level, imo and made me realize that Seo is a one trick pony who can't really write anything else, so instead of coming up with new ideas, he just rehashes old ones and tries to make them bigger. There's a LOT of parallels you can draw between this and Suzuka-- chasing the love interest (just a role reversal with Yamato and Eba), the break up (this time for another guy), the dead boyfriend (who died during the story this time, not before), the guy single-mindedly chasing the girl (Haruto a bigger, more obsessed version of Yamato), the reunion (again, with a girlfriend in the picture instead of both being single). Problem is, sometimes those ideas become too big and they get crushed under their weight as Seo doesn't really have the skill to pull it off properly. Again, my own take on it. Others will obviously disagree.
Old 2011-07-18, 17:31   Link #8242
AcroDave
Go Chrome or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
I just give it a cursory glance when the spoilers come out to see what Seo's pulling next (...) grab some popcorn and sit back for a good chuckle.
Oh yeah, I totally agree. With Haruto being such a spazzy retard, and all the good characters having their personalities destroyed on a regular basis, it's almost painful to read sometimes....

... but I do keep coming back, because I can't wait to see what crazy thing happens next. I don't really understand it myself.

Somehow he keeps it interesting. It is definitely a skill of some kind. There are so many mangas where I can't even be bothered to read past the first chapter, yet I keep coming back to KnIM despite all the face-palms and head-desks.
AcroDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 02:02   Link #8243
eilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroDave View Post
Oh yeah, I totally agree. With Haruto being such a spazzy retard, and all the good characters having their personalities destroyed on a regular basis, it's almost painful to read sometimes....

... but I do keep coming back, because I can't wait to see what crazy thing happens next. I don't really understand it myself.

Somehow he keeps it interesting. It is definitely a skill of some kind. There are so many mangas where I can't even be bothered to read past the first chapter, yet I keep coming back to KnIM despite all the face-palms and head-desks.
that means the writer is doing a good job to make the readers coming back. that's advance level of writing.
eilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 03:23   Link #8244
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilee View Post
that means the writer is doing a good job to make the readers coming back. that's advance level of writing.
Jerry Springer also keeps people coming back. Doesn't mean the writing is advanced. It just means people enjoy watching train wrecks. :P
Old 2011-07-19, 03:55   Link #8245
night train

Good to see that my pain and suffering brought joy to many popcorn, gut busting moments
On a side note: I don't mind people having different POVs than me, but within reason of course or I'll go "HULK SMASH." (Not likely to ever happen again. I tossed in my two cents and not mention that was truly a pain in the ass.)
Back on topic: If the spoiler are true then it's good to see all parties involved moving forward. But it felt a little too soon, too quick and little too convenient for me.
However, like most posters already stated; It's most likely a ploy to keep the readers engaged while moving the plot forward.
We shall see what Seo have in store for us but please god, no more time skips.

Last edited by night train; 2011-07-19 at 04:19. Reason: cleaning up
night train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 10:16   Link #8246
justavisitor

what spoiler? I heard this week we won't have any chapter ??
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 10:30   Link #8247
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Jerry Springer also keeps people coming back. Doesn't mean the writing is advanced. It just means people enjoy watching train wrecks. :P
That anagology is an insult to Jerry Springer show!

It's more like KNIM = Steve Wilko show and Jerry Springer = Suzuka
Old 2011-07-22, 19:55   Link #8248
Dorsai

Quote:
Idiotic compare... Jerry Springer do everything to attract more people, even if his show will evolve into sh1t... Seo can do everything to cause readers to just hate him more and more ;p You can tell that its not good idea to attract readers ;p
Old 2011-07-23, 08:31   Link #8249
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorsai View Post
Idiotic compare... Jerry Springer do everything to attract more people, even if his show will evolve into sh1t... Seo can do everything to cause readers to just hate him more and more ;p You can tell that its not good idea to attract readers ;p
^Bad ideas and attracting large groups of people are not mutually exclusive, Dorsai. It's just up to the creator to care about what it metamorphoses into.
Old 2011-07-23, 09:02   Link #8250
hanasanaide

Quote:
hahaha...now that's one of a heck comparison..haha
Old 2011-07-23, 13:53   Link #8251
Khalan

I've read it all in the last day or so. Eba deserves to win and be happy.

I'm not sure why some think she's a schemer. All I can see is a kind person who worries more about others than herself. She seemed to continuously sacrifice her happiness for others.

She left home to prevent friction with her new step-sister.

She liked Haruto but when she saw he liked Nanami she arranged opportunities for them to be together.

When he finally came around to her even though she liked him she refused to date him because she knew she was leaving town and didn't want to hurt him.

Even though she didn't think it could work she gave in the day she was leaving town because he insisted.

She was willing to sacrifice her boyfriend and at a minimum a year of her life for what was basically a last request from a friend who had supported her for much of her life. In my opinion this was dick move on the part of the friend not Eba.

I don't think she had thought of leaving him for the sick friend until she saw him holding hands with Nanami. If she had already decided that she wouldn't have been attaching hearts to her texts to him while he was on the train to Tokyo.

I believe when she saw him and Nanami in Tokyo it let her believe it was okay to break up with him. She tried to release Haruto freely and prevent blame falling on Nanami with the breakup note. By making herself look bad enough she assumed he wouldn't come after her. Remember he wanted go to Tokyo to with her before the long distance relationship even started.

It was probably guilt that kept them from dating after after Kazamas death. They wanted to be together but didn't think they could be happy if it was the result of a friends death. She wasn't sure if it was okay and asked Haruto in a rather mild way. Of course he was an idiot again but she tried at least.

I think the two year break was because Eba knew he was dating Asuka. I mean in two years surely she had contact with one of their mutual friends or at a minimum some contact with his mother since her family ended up being invited back to his house without him hearing of it until she told him. I think she would have stayed away from him and Asuka but a few random meetings made her aware she couldn't move forward even though he appeared to. So, she moved to bring a final end to her relationship with him in the same place it started. Closure.

I don't blame Haruto for loving her not just for who she is but for all she's done and tried to do for everyone.
Khalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-23, 14:50   Link #8252
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

^ Good post, but damn do I expect you to be grilled!

P.S. I think you might want to analyze the series a bit more meticulously.
Old 2011-07-23, 16:12   Link #8253
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalan View Post

I'm not sure why some think she's a schemer. All I can see is a kind person who worries more about others than herself. She seemed to continuously sacrifice her happiness for others.

She liked Haruto but when she saw he liked Nanami she arranged opportunities for them to be together.

When he finally came around to her even though she liked him she refused to date him because she knew she was leaving town and didn't want to hurt him.

Even though she didn't think it could work she gave in the day she was leaving town because he insisted.

She was willing to sacrifice her boyfriend and at a minimum a year of her life for what was basically a last request from a friend who had supported her for much of her life. In my opinion this was dick move on the part of the friend not Eba.

I don't think she had thought of leaving him for the sick friend until she saw him holding hands with Nanami. If she had already decided that she wouldn't have been attaching hearts to her texts to him while he was on the train to Tokyo.

I believe when she saw him and Nanami in Tokyo it let her believe it was okay to break up with him. She tried to release Haruto freely and prevent blame falling on Nanami with the breakup note. By making herself look bad enough she assumed he wouldn't come after her. Remember he wanted go to Tokyo to with her before the long distance relationship even started.

It was probably guilt that kept them from dating after after Kazamas death. They wanted to be together but didn't think they could be happy if it was the result of a friends death. She wasn't sure if it was okay and asked Haruto in a rather mild way. Of course he was an idiot again but she tried at least.

I think the two year break was because Eba knew he was dating Asuka. I mean in two years surely she had contact with one of their mutual friends or at a minimum some contact with his mother since her family ended up being invited back to his house without him hearing of it until she told him. I think she would have stayed away from him and Asuka but a few random meetings made her aware she couldn't move forward even though he appeared to. So, she moved to bring a final end to her relationship with him in the same place it started. Closure.

I don't blame Haruto for loving her not just for who she is but for all she's done and tried to do for everyone.
I agree with C and D. I wish you luck in the future my friend.
MAX_COLA_POWER! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-23, 19:55   Link #8254
Heiwatsuki

Quote:
Exactly! Am I the only one that doesn't give a shit about Asuka?

You will see me tonight in your closet holding double uzis.... COUNT ON IT. lol. I love asuka -.-

-------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalan

I don't blame Haruto for loving her not just for who she is but for all she's done and tried to do for everyone

I was like that in the beginning, but now after meaningless introductions of new characters, I would go for asuka if KNIM was a game

------------------------------

Quote:
Just gotta say that Kouji Seo is pretty darn good when it comes to stories like this, managing to create such heated forum discussion!
too bad hes good at the wrong thing lol

---------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
It's so refreshing to see people discussing the current arc rationally instead of blind shipping.
ikr, too bad idiocy is society is TOO common....

---------------------------------------

Quote:
My interest in the series is pretty much rock bottom and I'm only really around to read the funny back-and-forth of forum goers who sound like they're sitting behind their computers going "Hulk SMASH!" at each other whenever someone writes something they don't like.
LMFAO THATS ME LOLOOLOOLOLOL. HULK SMASH. +1000 for you

Last edited by Heiwatsuki; 2011-07-23 at 20:09.
Heiwatsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-23, 21:08   Link #8255
Khalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloak_and_dagger View Post
^ Good post, but damn do I expect you to be grilled!

P.S. I think you might want to analyze the series a bit more meticulously.
I'm not worried about it. I read through many pages of this discussion before dropping in to it. I considered not joining in due to some of the more heated arguments. But, I'm a bit intense about something I like so I'm willing to listen to reasonable counterpoints and ignore the less entertaining haters.

Please feel free to point out any problems. I know much of this has been debated chapter by chapter while I am trying to make points all over the place due to 143 chapters swirling around in my mind all at once. I feel much of what I said is supported but some is opinion and some I inferred by what I would logically do in the situation.. although that may not be what the characters would naturally do since I am not Japanese myself.

I think part of the vitrol surrounding her is that many of you have had to stew about some things over the past two years as chapters were released where as I had a straight read through within a day or so. I assure you I was building up a good rage as she stayed with the friend but when he unexpectedly (by me anyway) died it quickly went away. What came back was the frustration with the Haruto moron who failed to pull her close yet again.

I can see some mistakes she's made but I just can't see scheming or evil intent behind them. She moves to help others at almost every point. I think her last confession was to help herself move past him not to steal him. She wasn't planning to wait for an answer because she thought she already knew it. In a number of manga/anime I've seen it seems to be a normal action for the girl who knows she has lost to still confess and make her feelings known so she can move on after the rejection. That's how I read her intent but how could she not be convinced he still truly loved her after he overcame a life long phobia/fear of death on the spot to keep her beside him?

Thanks for the reply!
Old 2011-07-23, 21:35   Link #8256
Khalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwatsuki View Post

I was like that in the beginning, but now after meaningless introductions of new characters, I would go for asuka if KNIM was a game
I agree about not liking new characters being dropped in late "in the game". But for that exact reason I can't support Asuka. Eba, Nanami, and Akari had years invested in relationships with Haruto before she showed up. She took the lead by default due to proximity, a confession, and threatening to leave.

She's cute and not a bad personality but she was a throw away. It would have made far more sense for him to go back to Nanami but that would have left him "out of position" to re-up with Eba if he weren't in Tokyo.
Old 2011-07-24, 09:41   Link #8257
Heiwatsuki

Quote:
I agree about not liking new characters being dropped in late "in the game". But for that exact reason I can't support Asuka. Eba, Nanami, and Akari had years invested in relationships with Haruto before she showed up. She took the lead by default due to proximity, a confession, and threatening to leave.

She's cute and not a bad personality but she was a throw away. It would have made far more sense for him to go back to Nanami but that would have left him "out of position" to re-up with Eba if he weren't in Tokyo.
I was mostly attracted to Asuka because shes my type of girl :P
Old 2011-07-24, 14:12   Link #8258
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

the best girl was Shiho. I'm still hoping Haruto somehow turns into a pro chef and meets Shiho again but I doubt Seo even remembers Shiho.
Old 2011-07-24, 15:21   Link #8259
Nemuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFarGone View Post
the best girl was Shiho. I'm still hoping Haruto somehow turns into a pro chef and meets Shiho again but I doubt Seo even remembers Shiho.
wrong story or read a different manga ^^, although the idea sounds like it can be a wonderful manga using a similar premise…. However it does sound familiar to another manga with someone growing up to be a professional chef to find love/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalan
I can see some mistakes she's made but I just can't see scheming or evil intent behind them. She moves to help others at almost every point. I think her last confession was to help herself move past him not to steal him. She wasn't planning to wait for an answer because she thought she already knew it. In a number of manga/anime I've seen it seems to be a normal action for the girl who knows she has lost to still confess and make her feelings known so she can move on after the rejection. That's how I read her intent but how could she not be convinced he still truly loved her after he overcame a life long phobia/fear of death on the spot to keep her beside him?
That is exactly what it is, a fact based on pass events. However there is a lot of hater that would use every little point to create conjecturer. Especially when trying to read the emotion of others which can never be 100% define as oppose to facts.
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 03:28   Link #8260
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuru View Post
wrong story or read a different manga ^^, although the idea sounds like it can be a wonderful manga using a similar premise…. However it does sound familiar to another manga with someone growing up to be a professional chef to find love/
Not wrong story. Try chapters 63ff. It was when Haruto was jobbing to gain cash, after he and Eba decided to try a LD relationship.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a town where you rage, adult romance, drama, ecchi, logic doesn't apply, manga, nice christmas gift seo, power ups, romance, seo kouji, shounen, slice of life