AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-04, 05:05   Link #1
Don Eunuch
Lin Er

Sexy Commando Discussion

The humour is a bit over my head.

What or who is Kent Derricotters?

What does "wanchu" mean? Is it Engrish?

How does one play paper sumo?

"Super Violence Magnum Ball No1 and Toshiko now" Who or what is Toshiko?
Old 2004-03-04, 06:17   Link #2
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Wanchu = Want You

The rest...I dunno. A lot of the jokes in Sexy Commando depend on a familiarity with japanese humour, and sometimes they'll also just say weird things for the sake of it. Just chalk up the bits you don't get to oddness compounding the mindfuck.
Old 2004-03-04, 07:43   Link #3
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Eunuch

Heh heh...

"Wanchu!!! Princess Attack!!! Moe moe..."

When I was actually watching this nutball of a series, it was pretty funny. You have to watch it in a situational ironic screwball sense (Of course some things will still fly over your head, usually those based on Japanese cultures).

Stopped watching around episode 25 then... What episode is it up to now?

If I'm not wrong, this is how you play paper sumo...
  1. Get a box, place it open side down.
  2. Draw a circle on the base. This is the ring.
  3. Draw your sumo figures in ready stance on a piece of paper.
  4. Cut them out along the outlines. Do not cut the space in between the legs! Cut along a straight line based on the footsoles.
  5. Fold the figures along their body (i.e. dividing their body into left & right).
  6. Your figures should now be able to stand on its V-shaped base.
  7. Place them in the ring like sumo wrestlers.
  8. Now your opponent and you lightly tap the box (doesn't matter sequence or how many times) to get the other guy's sumo to fall over or out of the ring.
  9. Have fun.
Old 2004-03-04, 07:55   Link #4
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
I don't really expect the show to make sense. Half the fun is listening to the random stuff Masaru says.

And yeah, Wanchu is Engrish for want you. It's one of their "let's go!" or "go get 'em" type phrases for their Sexy Commando club. They also say "Cleanup Princess."

Don, you should probably go back and begin with episode 1. Go to the sub-groups IRC channel. More often than not, all the fservs and xdcc bots have all their slots free, so it's very easy to quickly pick up a bunch of episodes of Sexy Commando.
Old 2004-03-04, 13:33   Link #5
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:

A. Kent Derricot is an Japanese-fluent, Canadian-American talent who appears in many Japanese TV shows. He resides in Setagaya-ku when he's in Japan. He has converted to Mormonism, and has five children along with his wife in Utah, United States. HP: http://www.sankeipro.co.jp/male/kent_.htm

B. "Wanchu" is a shorted sound expression for the term "I want you." When Japanese hear the actual English pronounciation for "I want you," they here it as "wanchu."

C. http://www.paperokamoto.co.jp/craft/craft/craft_02.html
Basically, get a piece of paper, fold it in half, and cut it to make a figure. Put in on top of a plastic bowl (or wood), and try to topple the opponent by tapping lightly on the arena. Kami-zumou is a typical Japanese game that we used to play as kids (we did not play Famicom all day, you know).

D. Some gags in "Sexy Commando Sugoi-yo Masarusan" have no meaning to us as well - which makes it more weird and funny at the same time. That's why you get the tsukkomi (counter-gag) - "Toshiko tte dareda~!!!" (Who or what is Toshiko~!!!)
Old 2004-03-04, 21:00   Link #6
Don Eunuch
Lin Er

Now I am enlightened, thanks for the replies, esp to Blood Sucking Ghost . I've watched Sexy-Co since the first episode, now I finally know what wanchu means.
Old 2004-03-04, 21:09   Link #7
babbito2k
annoying white bat

I am just glad the shows are being released again. It's hard with a series like this to know if it will actually get anywhere by the end but it has been one hell of a ride.
Old 2004-03-04, 21:24   Link #8
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

Quote:

probably japanese humor shows like these I don't find too funny, maybe because it isn't translated properly or it isn't something that ends up as funny when translated. Like in jubei chan 2 the jokes blow by so fast there's no time to laugh.
Old 2004-04-01, 00:50   Link #9
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Smile Sexy Commando episode 29 discussion

Geez what a funny episode. It's odd that I didn't think the previous ep was all that good but this one is back to the psycho humor that keeps you off balance.

Spoiler:

What about that opening? Was that a pun about the 2 monks or just some oddness that didn't work well?

-k

curious
Old 2004-04-01, 01:39   Link #10
Za Paper

I think that pun was just some non-sensical humor this show loves to throw in.

This show made me wonder if the gallery at golf tournaments in Japan say "otoko" instead of you da man.
Old 2004-04-01, 06:43   Link #11
babbito2k
annoying white bat

#29 - the episode so nice they ended it twice! Took a little bit to get the sports manga parody going full blast, but this is primo stuff.

I wonder what they're gonna take on next...
Old 2004-04-01, 07:18   Link #12
Don Eunuch
Lin Er

"This is for Bonanza!"

I don't even know how baseball is played yet find the show great. AFAIK only Americans and their friends, the Japanese and Koreans play it.
Old 2004-04-01, 07:30   Link #13
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Paper
I think that pun was just some non-sensical humor this show loves to throw in.

This show made me wonder if the gallery at golf tournaments in Japan say "otoko" instead of you da man.
Well... "Otoko" does mean man in Japanese. The language doesn't explicitly state the addressee. They may not even chant anything close to "You da man" but chant "That's power!" or "Invincible".

Maybe kj1980 can tell you what they chant at their sports games.
Old 2004-04-01, 14:29   Link #14
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Stopped watching around episode 25 then... What episode is it up to now?
You should go get those last 4 eps you haven't seen yet... for such a silly series it has held up incredibly well in the humor department. That last one was very good.

Thanks y'all for the other info, this is the funnest way to learn about Japanese culture!

-k
Old 2004-04-01, 16:50   Link #15
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
Cool episode.

Spoiler for "Episode 29:
Old 2004-04-06, 00:05   Link #16
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

this is definitely one of the most insanely funny anime series ever, the parody, the perversion, so hilarious, it reminds me of Makuhari
Old 2004-04-06, 00:28   Link #17
jennwenn

Spoiler:
Wanchu!

Man I love this show.

EDIT- Well maybe that was a spoiler so I better put it in spoiler bars...
Old 2004-04-06, 00:30   Link #18
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
"This is for Bonanza!"

I don't even know how baseball is played yet find the show great. AFAIK only Americans and their friends, the Japanese and Koreans play it.
Baseball is also played in Canada (where there are 2 Major League teams), Mexico (which has its own professional league), Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Central America, South America, Europe, Taiwan and Australia.

The Japanese have a peculiar style of baseball (tie games are allowed among other things). I like seeing Japanese baseball parodied because "normal" Japanese baseball seems weird to me.
Old 2004-04-06, 01:03   Link #19
Don Eunuch
Lin Er

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
Baseball is also played in Canada (where there are 2 Major League teams), Mexico (which has its own professional league), Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Central America, South America, Europe, Taiwan and Australia.
Did a search, baseball is pretty much dead in Europe, there doesn't seem to be any baseball stadiums there. Perhaps in the future. Also apparently it is popular among the Italians.

And "it doesn't matter" whether Europeans play baseball or not. Before I'm accused of nationalism.

Back to Sexy Commando.

Last edited by Don Eunuch; 2004-04-06 at 05:42.
Old 2004-04-06, 03:45   Link #20
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

wonder why they named the show Sexy Commando Gaiden? Is there a "main story" of it since this is a "side story"?
Closed Thread